Playoffs

point

So John Tavares is already skating, not practicing yet but already back on the ice.

From a hockey fan perspective:

What a warrior, crazy. You can bet your ass that if the Habs force a game 7 JT will be in the lineup. What a captain.

From a human perspective:

This gives me flashbacks to 03 when Scott Stevens returned from getting blasted in the head on a dump in against Tampa. I don't think he missed a single game after essentially taking a slapshot to the temple. Did it help the Devils win the cup that year? Absolutely.

Did it also effectively end his career for the most part? Arguably yes, the post-concussion syndrome stuff started almost right after that.

I empathize with the players when it comes to CTE, I really do. But JT getting back on the ice already is straight up dangerous, I'm obviously not a doctor but I would imagine there is little chance that he's fully recovered from that severe concussion he likely received. But if he says he can play, is someone from the team going to step up and tell him no? Whose fault is it that these hockey players effectively become robots in the playoffs and will play through almost anything?

Don't mean to make more of this than it is, it's just fascinating to me that almost 20 years later we're pretty much watching history repeat itself despite the sport being more "woke" now than ever.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This guy jumps from so if I can't wear my Panthers jersey straight to well can I wear a Hitler or swastika shirt then? Woof. He also clearly knew the rule going in and this seems like it was just him trying to skirt around it. He should have just bought a different section instead of being a baby about this. 

I'm not even a Tampa Bay fan and I know about this policy cause they have had it for a bunch of years now, like since 2015 I believe.

I also absolutely support it, at Red Bulls games visiting teams fans are not allowed into the supporters section and they will be removed by security if they try to get in there with another teams gear on. 

A lot of soccer leagues around the world also separate the visiting fans from the home team. Personally I wish the NHL would adopt a visiting fan section. I use to go to a ton of road games for the Devils and I've basically stopped over the years cause I hate sitting around the home teams fans. Going to Red Bulls road games and being in our own section is such a pleasure in comparison.

I agree that the comparison is a big leap and that he knew the rule going in.

However, club seats are much different than supporters sections at soccer games.  That rule for the Red Bull supporters section exists for the safety of the fans and that they don't want any fights to break out.  The club seats at hockey games are often filled with rich suits so the reason why Tampa does this is to literally look good when the camera is on the ice and you can see the fans in the stands.  It is 100% about optics and while Tampa has ever right to enforce it as they please, it is still extremely petty to go to that lengths to try to look good on TV.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So John Tavares is already skating, not practicing yet but already back on the ice.

From a hockey fan perspective:

What a warrior, crazy. You can bet your ass that if the Habs force a game 7 JT will be in the lineup. What a captain.

From a human perspective:

This gives me flashbacks to 03 when Scott Stevens returned from getting blasted in the head on a dump in against Tampa. I don't think he missed a single game after essentially taking a slapshot to the temple. Did it help the Devils win the cup that year? Absolutely.

Did it also effectively end his career for the most part? Arguably yes, the post-concussion syndrome stuff started almost right after that.

I empathize with the players when it comes to CTE, I really do. But JT getting back on the ice already is straight up dangerous, I'm obviously not a doctor but I would imagine there is little chance that he's fully recovered from that severe concussion he likely received. But if he says he can play, is someone from the team going to step up and tell him no? Whose fault is it that these hockey players effectively become robots in the playoffs and will play through almost anything?

Don't mean to make more of this than it is, it's just fascinating to me that almost 20 years later we're pretty much watching history repeat itself despite the sport being more "woke" now than ever.

Full credit for trying to rush back but I personally hope he just calls it a day for the season. I can’t imagine anyone being ready to take more physical punishment to the head after having their brain scrambled so badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree, though there are different degrees of concussion and you don’t know which one he has. 

Based on the incident and how it looked, I would say it’s more sever rather than not, but who knows. 

Yeah I'm obviously far, far from a medical professional but anecdotally every concussion I've ever had has taken me longer than a week to recover from.  And I've never taken a blow to the head like he got from Perry.

Strictly from the outside looking in, I can't imagine he's 100% in the head.

29 minutes ago, devlman said:

Full credit for trying to rush back but I personally hope he just calls it a day for the season. I can’t imagine anyone being ready to take more physical punishment to the head after having their brain scrambled so badly.

They always say it's not the first hit to the head, it's the following hits while the brain is already "out of sorts" that lead to permanent, long-term damage.  

God forbid they dress him for game 6/7 and he takes another big hit to the head - then what?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

There’s also a massive difference between a soccer supporters section and club seats.

don’t get me wrong, your point is valid about it being a thing for years, but comparing apples to oranges a bit between the two sports, no?

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I agree that the comparison is a big leap and that he knew the rule going in.

However, club seats are much different than supporters sections at soccer games.  That rule for the Red Bull supporters section exists for the safety of the fans and that they don't want any fights to break out.  The club seats at hockey games are often filled with rich suits so the reason why Tampa does this is to literally look good when the camera is on the ice and you can see the fans in the stands.  It is 100% about optics and while Tampa has ever right to enforce it as they please, it is still extremely petty to go to that lengths to try to look good on TV.

Apparently Tampa is dropping this rule since this went viral. 

I agree there's obviously a massive difference between the two, from my little bit of reading from Tampa fans it seems like the season ticket holders in that area kept complaining about all the away fans and since the tickets aren't cheap this was the way the team tried to fix the issue. Whether that's true or not idk. 

My personal 2 cents is this guy clearly knew the rules going in, wanted to get this kind of reaction and was sure quick to have his camera out ready to go once he got the reaction he was hoping for. 

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

My personal 2 cents is this guy clearly knew the rules going in, wanted to get this kind of reaction and was sure quick to have his camera out ready to go once he got the reaction he was hoping for. 

Just went on hf and saw this, oh look what a surprise, this is the guy Brad, also check out his other videos on his YouTube from the original video, guy is doing this to prop his kid up to get their 15 mins of fame, pathetic. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

13 hours ago, jagknife said:

There’s also a massive difference between a soccer supporters section and club seats.

don’t get me wrong, your point is valid about it being a thing for years, but comparing apples to oranges a bit between the two sports, no?

FB31EEC2-B680-4CD0-BEE9-31627482FEA9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This guy jumps from so if I can't wear my Panthers jersey straight to well can I wear a Hitler or swastika shirt then? Woof. He also clearly knew the rule going in and this seems like it was just him trying to skirt around it. He should have just bought a different section instead of being a baby about this. 

I'm not even a Tampa Bay fan and I know about this policy cause they have had it for a bunch of years now, like since 2015 I believe.

I also absolutely support it, at Red Bulls games visiting teams fans are not allowed into the supporters section and they will be removed by security if they try to get in there with another teams gear on. 

A lot of soccer leagues around the world also separate the visiting fans from the home team. Personally I wish the NHL would adopt a visiting fan section. I use to go to a ton of road games for the Devils and I've basically stopped over the years cause I hate sitting around the home teams fans. Going to Red Bulls road games and being in our own section is such a pleasure in comparison.

They do this in the German ice hockey League. Makes for an amazing atmosphere.

I mean obviously in football (soccer) it has been done for years to combat crowd violence, it's basically a necessity. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:39 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Couple things:

1- The guy is an idiot.  Clearly just wants attention and to push people's buttons.  I feel bad for his son, because he's being raised by someone who acts like an infant.   He obviously knew he was going to get some type of resistance from the arena staff, and his two minutes of fame was more important than actually bonding with his son and having a good time at a playoff hockey game.  Bad father, bad person.

2- While I don't like the policy myself, I don't think it was created because fans complained.  I've been to probably 50-100 Bolts games, and I've never heard anyone mention anything at all about not wanting to sit near or next to opposing team's fans, or be upset or pissed about them wearing the visiting team's gear.  I have a feeling the policy came from management and as others have said, was probably enacted more for presentation and looks (on TV) than anything else.

3- I would hate to see teams or arenas implement a "visiting team only" section.  I mean, hockey is a competitive game, and even though us fans don't participate in the action ourselves, I think the true spirit of competition involves being able to sit in and among the opposition.  Personally, I love going to games and sitting next to someone from out of town and learning what it's like where they're from and how their team is represented in their hometown.  Or, vice versa, if I'm the out-of-towner, I love getting to know the locals in whatever city I'm visiting, and doing the same thing - learning about what it's like where I'm visiting, so I can compare it to my hometown.

4- No matter how dumb the rule may be, Tampa has every right to enforce it, and anyone who pushes buttons to try and skirt the rules is an idiot.  It's literally a small section that they won't allow you to wear the jerseys (on the glass or in the suites) - there's 18,000 other seats where you can - go buy one of those tickets instead of being a jackass.  

Being a Devils fan in Tampa I'm always the out-of-place guy when I go to games - I always wear one of my jerseys, and I stand up and cheer and clap when we score - even when hardly anyone else around me is standing up and I stick out like a sore thumb.  That's all part of it.  People boo me, and I get it - I'm for the visiting team.  But then I sit down, they stop, and we continue watching the rest of the game.  Why can't it just be like that?  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

3- I would hate to see teams or arenas implement a "visiting team only" section.  I mean, hockey is a competitive game, and even though us fans don't participate in the action ourselves, I think the true spirit of competition involves being able to sit in and among the opposition.  Personally, I love going to games and sitting next to someone from out of town and learning what it's like where they're from and how their team is represented in their hometown.  Or, vice versa, if I'm the out-of-towner, I love getting to know the locals in whatever city I'm visiting, and doing the same thing - learning about what it's like where I'm visiting, so I can compare it to my hometown.

I’d be fine with it for Rag and Flyer games. Especially Rag games. Would cut down on fights, and it would piss their fans off exponentially lol.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They aren’t on our team anymore, I don’t give a sh!t if they win. 

If our team doesn't make the playoffs and the islanders do they automatically are my team since I live on LI.  Even moreso now that they're the devlanders

• Confused 1

A visiting supporters section is possibly the dumbest idea suggestion ever posted on this board, and I post here, so that should tell you something. 

Yeah that's exactly what we need. An entire section of Rags fans along with the fans scattered throughout the rest of the building so when we let in a goal we can hear "'KENNNNZIE! 'KENNNNZIE!" even louder in our own building

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil