Playoffs

point

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

His hot take about Brodeur not being a top 5 all-time goalie particularly pissed me off. 

I don't think it's THAT hot of a take. If someone wants to put Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall, Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy, and Terry Sawchuk over Brodeur, it's not that big of a slight. If he says he's not top 10, then I have a problem!

28 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I don't think it's THAT hot of a take. If someone wants to put Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall, Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy, and Terry Sawchuk over Brodeur, it's not that big of a slight. If he says he's not top 10, then I have a problem!

I disagree. But then again it’s kind of hard comparing completely different eras (in any sport). Those old timers never faced all the skilled Europeans, didn’t have to deal with modern era sticks, weren’t traveling all over NA, etc. I’m perfectly fine with someone ranking Hasek and Roy above Marty (I disagree but a case can be made for both), but the big 3 are the big 3, imo. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I disagree. But then again it’s kind of hard comparing completely different eras (in any sport). Those old timers never faced all the skilled Europeans, didn’t have to deal with modern era sticks, weren’t traveling all over NA, etc. I’m perfectly fine with someone ranking Hasek and Roy above Marty (I disagree but a case can be made for both), but the big 3 are the big 3, imo. 

Have to agree, but of course I only know Plante, Hall & Sawchuk from reading about them. I watched Marty’s career from day one. Before day one, actually, I remember stockpiling his rookie card with his draft picture and awful mustache.

So it’s possible I’m a bit biased. 

• Like 1

I went to get my vaccine yesterday and as i was walking by a lineup some dude had a leafs hat and i went "rough night last night uh?". And right away he went "rough season this year uh?"

That's when i remembered i was wearing my Devils hat lol god dammnit

Then the nurse giving me the shot was a Rangers fan. You don't see that too often around here.

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Colorado looks like such a monster. I'm not sure the East is going to have an answer.

The defending champs can handle them. Colorado was the beneficiary of some awful goaltending last night. Stupid by Pete to go with Lehner.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah one of the biggest thing people don't consider now comparing goalies is that it's fairly recent that the OT / SO came in the league so that there's no ties anymore. Brodeur, Roy, Hasek and those guys would have a lot more wins if they played their whole career with those rules.

Marty has 154 tie games. Say we're pretty conservative and split 50/50. we can probably assume the win ratio would be bigger in real life but just just for the sake of argument. That's an extra 77 wins minimum. And a total of 768 wins.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I went to get my vaccine yesterday and as i was walking by a lineup some dude had a leafs hat and i went "rough night last night uh?". And right away he went "rough season this year uh?"

That's when i remembered i was wearing my Devils hat lol god dammnit

Then the nurse giving me the shot was a Rangers fan. You don't see that too often around here.

That’s when you reply with ‘rough five and a half decades huh?’

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s when you reply with ‘rough five and a half decades huh?’

Yeah i didnt feel the need to make it worst for him than he probably felt that day. It's like don't beat up a kid at school when he's getting beat up at home already lol 

I personally think the Leafs will lose game 7. They are obviously the better team but mentally there's just something missing. If they couldnt deliver without the extra pressure, i don't see them pulling it off when the pressure is this fvcking high

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, devlman said:

Would love to see another Leafs choke job tonight.

I’ve hated that franchise since some of their dumb ass fans came down to the meadowlands with a huge “Free Tie Domi” banner the game after he elbowed Niedermayer in the head and they had to take his pulse on the ice.   The Rangers series always make my blood boil but that 2001 series against the Leafs was right there in terms of hating the opponent.   

Fast forward 20 years and nothing is better than watching them bow out of the playoffs (or play-in round) early every season after years of listening to their fans and media talk like they were assured of becoming the Kane and Toews Blackhawks dynasty2.0, only better.   

I’m not expecting that the Canadiens will actually pull it off tonight but if they do, TSN 1050 in Toronto will be streaming to my car and work computer for the next week just to revel in their misery.   

• Like 4

On 5/30/2021 at 4:18 PM, Nicomo said:

This guy puts out some good content, but I won’t subscribe or like his videos since he tends to hate on the Devils a lot. His hot take about Brodeur not being a top 5 all-time goalie particularly pissed me off. 

I don't think he hates on NJ a lot but he admits they aren't one of his favorites to watch. I find him to be unbiased, although also not the best informed, but who would be if you cover every team? He puts out good content, I wouldn't not support someone by clicking a button just because he has a different opinion. 

Holy sweet Jesus....the Isles benched Sorokin for Varlamov?!  What the HELLLLL is wrong with coaches lately?  How many morons are going to keep treating their goalies like yo-yos?!  I've said this probably a billion times now....it's a recipe for disaster to not have a bonafide #1 goalie, especially in the playoffs.   I expect way better than that from Trotz.

Annnnnnnnd Varlamov lets up his very first shot on goal.  1-0 Boston LOL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sweet Jesus....the Isles benched Sorokin for Varlamov?!  What the HELLLLL is wrong with coaches lately?  How many morons are going to keep treating their goalies like yo-yos?!  I've said this probably a billion times now....it's a recipe for disaster to not have a bonafide #1 goalie, especially in the playoffs.   I expect way better than that from Trotz.

Annnnnnnnd Varlamov lets up his very first shot on goal.  1-0 Boston LOL

Was shocked to see that. No idea what Trotz is thinking.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So it’s 2-0 montreal going into the third, but it’s worth mentioning that montreal has spoiled a 2-0 lead in game 6 and a 3-0 lead in game 5 — they won both games in overtime, but Toronto has shown the guts to come back. 

Toronto juts had a PP with 7min left in the game and Price made some ridiculous saves, but the Leafs also seem completely snakebitten.  It's pretty crazy.  Just wasn't meant to be for them.  I don't feel the least bit bad for them, but it's just somewhat remarkable how much they choke year after year.