Playoffs

point

Brutal call on that slash, yeah the officiating has been absolutely suspect so far across multiple series.  Stop me if you've heard this before, right?

That said, Colorado in the finals seems like an inevitability at this point to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would argue it is charging even in the 90's.

Charging is another penalty that for whatever reason doesn't get called as often as it should these days.  You used to see it get called far more 20+ years ago than you do today.

Very true, feel like charging is only ever discussed when the result is a hit into the boards.

Actually thinking about it, I can't recall the last time I saw an open-ice charging call prior to last night.  And even the call last night was technically near the boards as well.

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t agree that there was intent to injure. He was definitely looking to run him over with a devastating hit, he should be penalized, and suspended, but I don’t even think the head was the primary point of contact.

When he delivers the hit, you don’t see Evans’ head snap at the moment of contact, which makes me think the chest was first. @SterioDesign’s picture above makes that pretty clear. 

I think the worst part of the hit is that it was totally avoidable. If he went for the stick or puck, he may have prevented the goal and even given his team a chance to tie it. Selfish decision

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think the worst part of the hit is that it was totally avoidable. If he went for the stick or puck, he may have prevented the goal and even given his team a chance to tie it. Selfish decision

Oh there’s no question about that. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Very true, feel like charging is only ever discussed when the result is a hit into the boards.

Actually thinking about it, I can't recall the last time I saw an open-ice charging call prior to last night.  And even the call last night was technically near the boards as well.

I literally cannot think the last time I remember in a Devils game a charging penalty being called period.  There may have been one, maybe two this year, but that's it.  I could be completely wrong, but I wonder if there is a way to see how many types of penalties are called over an NHL season by the numbers.  I would bet charging is way low on the list.

• Like 1

In a sense the hit is very very similar to this one. The player was coming from a very long distance, obviously had more than 2 strides, finished his check but it was to a player in a vulnerable position. Resulting in an injury. Pacioretty wasn't suspended on this one, got a match penalty and thats it. So we could see something similar with Scheifele. And if we do, we'll see MTL burn and the fans jumping off bridges

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I like it.   I thought they would only give him 2

Yeah four playoff games is a big suspension, especially for a guy with no suspension history. Winnipeg is in big trouble without him, Scheifele is probably their best all-around player.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Seems like a fair punishment. 

Was gonna say the same.   I don't think there was intent to injure, and it was surely an unnecessary hit, but it being unnecessary doesn't automatically make it illegal.  Definitely charging though, and I guess given the circumstances (under a minute to go in the game), and the fact that he didn't make an attempt to play the puck, a suspension seems worthy.  Only problem I have with that though is that a guy can check a player into the boards and not have to "make an attempt on the puck" and it's just fine.  Hockey is a contact sport, and I don't think players should be required to make a play on a puck just in order to avoid a penalty (or in this case, a suspension) - I mean, that's technically the whole point of a body check in the first place - to dislodge and/or knock a player off the puck, not with your stick, but with your body.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Was gonna say the same.   I don't think there was intent to injure, and it was surely an unnecessary hit, but it being unnecessary doesn't automatically make it illegal.  Definitely charging though, and I guess given the circumstances (under a minute to go in the game), and the fact that he didn't make an attempt to play the puck, a suspension seems worthy.  Only problem I have with that though is that a guy can check a player into the boards and not have to "make an attempt on the puck" and it's just fine.  Hockey is a contact sport, and I don't think players should be required to make a play on a puck just in order to avoid a penalty (or in this case, a suspension) - I mean, that's technically the whole point of a body check in the first place - to dislodge and/or knock a player off the puck, not with your stick, but with your body.  

I agree. A body check on a player with the puck is by definition trying get the puck. 

But rules is rules. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Looks like Vegas hired that dumbass fake hype-up fan performer we had way back when. Dude looks washed up

I listened to an interview with him maybe a year ago, he gets so much freakin work across all sports. I know my college had him multiple times at multiple different sports too. I can’t stand him.

• Like 1

As for the game itself, what a comeback by Vegas. End of the second they had one maybe two good rushes but couldn’t get anything threatening to Grubauer. Third they fell behind by one, and kept trying to set up beauty goals, finally just tried to get ugly. It worked.

• Like 1

i love that my whole life i heard about the devils and their boring trap and that it sucked. Especially from Habs fans. Whenever i'd ask them to actually describe what the trap was, like... what was the actual system... none could describe it other than "well it's really defensive" lol So when i see MTL play the trap and that the same fans bashing the trap then have no idea their own team is playing a version of it now. Confirms further and further that most hockey fans are clueless

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i love that my whole life i heard about the devils and their boring trap and that it sucked. Especially from Habs fans. Whenever i'd ask them to actually describe what the trap was, like... what was the actual system... none could describe it other than "well it's really defensive" lol So when i see MTL play the trap and that the same fans bashing the trap then have no idea their own team is playing a version of it now. Confirms further and further that most hockey fans are clueless

I can’t tell you how many beers I won on bets back in the day when someone would lecture me on how boring the Devils were, they never score, etc and I would just say “you know, we did lead the league in goals (2001)”. You couldn’t just look it up on your smartphone back then so it would inevitably lead to a bet.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Winning is never boring when it’s your team. 

• Like 1