Playoffs

point

I suppose it depends on whether or not the RFA rules would remain or not. I can't remember if those existed pre-cap. If those stay in place then removing the cap would be far less risky.

I certainly don't want a bs league like the NBA where players dictate where they play though .

42 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I suppose it depends on whether or not the RFA rules would remain or not. I can't remember if those existed pre-cap. If those stay in place then removing the cap would be far less risky.

I certainly don't want a bs league like the NBA where players dictate where they play though .

That is a valid point, but I think less likely in hockey than in basketball, where your team is basically 5 guys.  

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I just watched the fight. In terms of not getting knocked the fvck out, he did good. But otherwise, not really a great showing. 

He must have got punched on the mouth. He ended up with swollen lips

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

Yeah this is a great point. When you look at it, the Devils were wildly unsuccessful before the existence of a salary cap, and only became the major powerhouse that they are once they added it. Those pre-2005 Devils were all absolutely garbage.

UFA age was also 31 back then so you had control of your players for 13 years after they were drafted.  NYR and Toronto were buying up guys leaving their prime.   Rob is right that removing the cap now would kill small market teams now that UFA is 27 or earlier for guys that make the league right away.    

19 hours ago, jagknife said:

Marty was only a product of the system. Didn't you see how poor he did in St Louis. They didn't play the trap, and he got exposed.

I'm always confused when you guys bring up Marty playing in St. Louis since it never actually happened. This must have been a pretty good deep fake video that fooled all of you guys. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

The salary cap is one of the only ways that teams like NJ can hope for a cup. Otherwise we become a Pittsburgh Pirates type organization.

We won championships without the cap. And the Pirates would do better if they could develop pitching like the Rays and the Royals (in past years).

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You guys do realize what the Rangers could look like with out the cap now right? 

I miss the days when they would outspend everyone and still suck. After they won the Cup -- actually in the years after they signed Gretzky -- it was one bad signing after another in the late 90s and early 2000s. Glorious.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Seeing a game in Vegas is on my bucket list, what an environment.

It looks absolutely insane

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. Looks like a lot of fun.

Make sure you get there early, the pregame hype-up stuff was awesome. And after, the post-game party in the plaza was also insane.

My biggest gripe was the meh choices for food and stuff, but that was also only their second month of their first season when i went.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, titans04 said:

he should relax a little bit, without injuries he wouldn't even be in the lineup. But point taken at the same time. Not going to do sh!t with a team predominantly in diapers.

He's not wrong. These are 2 teams in 2 very different places and his time here was done. The structure comment was interesting, but he's very used to the Lou structure 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, titans04 said:

he should relax a little bit, without injuries he wouldn't even be in the lineup. But point taken at the same time. Not going to do sh!t with a team predominantly in diapers.

I don't have a problem with anything he's saying...he's just being honest.  It'd be easy to say that he might be taking a jab at the Devils' coaching staff with the "structure" comment, but yeah, I'm sure for a guy like Travis, there was SO much youth on the team that he probably felt more and more like an outsider...at this point in his career, being on a solid vet team where most of the players already know who they are and what they each bring has gotta be his best-case scenario (assuming he actually gets into the lineup).  Gotta be fun for him to be in the second round of the playoffs too...it's only been nine years since he was there last.

More and more it's becoming clear that neither Palms nor Zajac are coming back here, and that's fine.  Palms did all that really could have been expected of him in his first five seasons with the Devils, and now he's finding the net in the playoffs, but who knows if he's on the decline (or soon to be, after showing possible signs of it this past season).  And Zajac certainly isn't getting any younger.  I liked both players a lot and there was sadness in seeing them both go, but at the same time, it seems both were growing tired of the losing.  And more and more it feels like change wasn't such a bad thing...especially if it had reached the point where Travis felt like he no longer fit in. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He's not wrong. These are 2 teams in 2 very different places and his time here was done. The structure comment was interesting, but he's very used to the Lou structure 

He's a little older than Chico was when he was traded from the Isles to the Rockies (he was wrapping up his Age 32 season at the time), but I think it gets to a point when you're an aging player like Travis, you either decide you either want guaranteed playing time on a meh/bad team (Chico appeared in more games per season with the Rockies/Devils than he ever did with the Isles), or you're willing to sacrifice some to play for a potential winner.  Chico decided he was going to try to be a positive role model for the kids, even though he knew going into every one of his Devils seasons that his teams had no shot to win; and even if the team in front of him was lousy, he at least knew he was going to play a hell of a lot.  I think Travis could have done the same if he wanted to, been that guy to try to keep his young teammates' spirits up during those brutal losing streaks and knowing that he was going to get his minutes no matter what, but I think he'd finally just had enough losing, and didn't see it ending soon enough.  I'm guessing if he's not back with the Isles, he'll try to catch on with teams who really have a legit chance...of course, Option #2 is sign with a loser and then get moved at the deadline...but I get the feeling he's finished with playing on bad or rebuilding teams.  I think he'll accept being an occasional scratch or not always being guaranteed to have a spot in his team's lineup, if it means he has a shot to win.  

• Like 1