Playoffs

point

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that's going to be the real test. Cause we all know Toronto are choke artists. They didnt win a playoffs series since 2004. They couldn't even win the play in last season.

Then they have 3 guys paid over 10m. 2 of them couldn't produce and the other one was knocked out of the series game 1. What is that going to do to your depth? Plus you have a guy sending the puck directly to an opponent's stick for a 2 on 0 breakaway in OT lol 

MTL it typical MTL fashion got outplayed most of the series and were opportunistic.

Then the jets doesnt have that much of a strong team. They were able to shut down the oilers top line. which is all you have to do to win against them. Then they lost Scheifele and didnt play well the rest of the series. The OT was pathetic. They made a series or super soft attempts to get the puck out of their zone, super sloppy, lost every battle in the sequence and they got scored on. Mtl played a tight series, pretty well and systematic, playing the trap but 95% of their fanbase doesnt know that. lol

I hope colorado or vegas destroys them

You forgot to mention how well Carey Price is playing.

Carey Price: Last 7 games Record: 7-0 GAA: 1.64 Save %: .943 Shutouts: 1

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

It must have been an oversight on his part. I am sure he meant to say something positive about the Canadiens. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It must have been an oversight on his part. I am sure he meant to say something positive about the Canadiens. 

From what he said, it seems Montreal lucked themselves into a 7 game winning streak and the final 4 of the playoffs. 

I hope the Devils get that kind of luck one day. 

Montreal is coming together at the right time but in fairness, without realignment for this year, they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.   Pitt, Wash, Carolina, NYI, Toronto, Bos, Tampa and Florida would have been the Eastern Conference teams with Rangers finishing 9th.  The Flyers were also one point back of MTL with them essentially quitting for the last few weeks. I imagine if they were still playing for a spot, they would have managed another point or two.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is coming together at the right time but in fairness, without realignment for this year, they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.   Pitt, Wash, Carolina, NYI, Toronto, Bos, Tampa and Florida would have been the Eastern Conference teams with Rangers finishing 9th.  The Flyers were also one point back of MTL with them essentially quitting for the last few weeks. I imagine if they were still playing for a spot, they would have managed another point or two.     

How did Sterio log into your account to post this?

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah Price is playing really well. But i hate how the narrative is that he stole those series, IMO he didn't. He was solid but the team is actually playing their best hockey of the season. Danault deserves a LOT of credits too.

Other goalies had a better record than Price in the playoffs and the media weren't making a huge deal out of it. Hellebuyck had a save % above 950 after the oiler series, playing against the 2 top players in the world. The media didn't do anything with that. The only focus was that the oilers failed. 

33 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

From what he said, it seems Montreal lucked themselves into a 7 game winning streak and the final 4 of the playoffs. 

I hope the Devils get that kind of luck one day. 

Well you me if both teams you're playing against lose a guy like Tavares / Scheifele and Toronto lost their top D too during the series and the jets got banged up early in that series. That's just facts not really an opinion.

Then if you're getting dominated in an OT you must win to survive and an opposing players sends a pass directly to the opposition for a 2 on 0 breakaway.

Is that not lucky? 

We'll really know what the Habs are really in the next round. Playing an actual good team firing on all cylinders this time and a team who proved they can win in the past

Edited by SterioDesign

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah Price is playing really well. But i hate how the narrative is that he stole those series, IMO he didn't. He was solid but the team is actually playing their best hockey of the season. Danault deserves a LOT of credits too.

Other goalies had a better record than Price in the playoffs and the media weren't making a huge deal out of it. Hellebuyck had a save % above 950 after the oiler series, playing against the 2 top players in the world. The media didn't do anything with that. The only focus was that the oilers failed. 

Well you me if both teams you're playing against lose a guy like Tavares / Scheifele and Toronto lost their top D too during the series and the jets got banged up early in that series. That's just facts not really an opinion.

Then if you're getting dominated in an OT you must win to survive and an opposing players sends a pass directly to the opposition for a 2 on 0 breakaway.

Is that not lucky? 

If you're listening to the Montreal media, they will always have the Price slant. When it came to goalies, the talk before game 1 most places was how great both goalies were playing leading into the series. Hellebuyck was even given the edge. He just wasn't able to keep it up. 

And yeah those injuries happened but that's the playoffs. That's why people say once you're in anything can happen. They might get some breaks but they still had to cash in on them. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That 2006 Devils team had that kind of luck. Pretty mediocre team that got red fvcking hot at the end of the year, reeled off ~12 straight (or something like that?) including a miraculous division title and a first round sweep of the Rangers. They then ran into the best team in hockey that year and eventual cup champs.

You right. I was just being facetious. 

I was in Montreal for that last game of the season when they came back from down 3-1. It felt like they could do no wrong until Carolina brought them right back to earth. 

I'm also not saying Montreal is great, but they won 2 series so they have something going on , even if Vegas or Colorado smacks them around 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If you're listening to the Montreal media, they will always have the Price slant.

Yup. The media here does it with the Rangers when they have even minimal success. And the Montreal media, from what I hear, is 1000x worse. 

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wanted NJ to try to get Toffoli. He's been great for MTL. Wouldn't have come here anyway.

We all wonder who Shero/Fitz made an effort to sign.  He may have been one?

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If you're listening to the Montreal media, they will always have the Price slant. When it came to goalies, the talk before game 1 most places was how great both goalies were playing leading into the series. Hellebuyck was even given the edge. He just wasn't able to keep it up. 

And yeah those injuries happened but that's the playoffs. That's why people say once you're in anything can happen. They might get some breaks but they still had to cash in on them. 

Well the french media didnt make much of Hellebuyck. Almost all the  jets players doing interviews before the series were asked about facing Price. I didn't see a single Habs fans getting asked about facing Hellebuyck. Which you know, has been solid for years and very consistent. Winning the vezina last year. Price on the other hand has been really up and down through the last 4 years, had a save % way below .900 for a good chunk of the season and got his goalie coach fired.

And TSN would post constantly about Price but not Hellebuyck on their instagram. I mean... through the first round. Many goalies has been amazing. Price wasn't even in the top 10 in save % during the first round. Campbell in Toronto even had better stats than Price. Yet the media were strictly all about him. It's getting annoying and in hindsight i assume we were blind to that too when it was the same thing about Marty. The media were pushing what we wanted to believe and it "made sense" to us. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Hellebuyck is on a Canadian team, but isn’t Canadian. From what I have seen over the years, French-Canadian media is absolutely going to favor him. 

I think the issue is that you expect the media to be impartial, when clearly they never are. 

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the french media didnt make much of Hellebuyck. Almost all the  jets players doing interviews before the series were asked about facing Price. I didn't see a single Habs fans getting asked about facing Hellebuyck. Which you know, has been solid for years and very consistent. Winning the vezina last year. Price on the other hand has been really up and down through the last 4 years, had a save % way below .900 for a good chunk of the season and got his goalie coach fired.

And TSN would post constantly about Price but not Hellebuyck on their instagram. I mean... through the first round. Many goalies has been amazing. Price wasn't even in the top 10 in save % during the first round. Campbell in Toronto even had better stats than Price. Yet the media were strictly all about him. It's getting annoying and in hindsight i assume we were blind to that too when it was the same thing about Marty. The media were pushing what we wanted to believe and it "made sense" to us. 

Funny you say that because in the states, I always felt Marty was largely ignored until the tail end of his career. We had a legend playing here that wouldn't be acknowledged by local media until he broke the wins record.

Granted I lived deep in Ranger country during most of his career though 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hellebuyck is on a Canadian team, but isn’t Canadian. From what I have seen over the years, French-Canadian media is absolutely going to favor him. 

I think the issue is that you expect the media to be impartial, when clearly they never are. 

lol well in anything... sports, politics, social issues etc etc the media are almost never impartial, it's sickening.

I mean just like any media does they always push wtv narrative they want. The french media it's basically... if Price doesnt play well.. it's because of the team in front of him. If you bring up another goalie, well he's only doing better because he has a better team. Then when MTL actually play well... it's still Price that gets all the praises. Then when he played for team Canada and had what i feel was the best team canada ever, he still got all the praises. They just want Price to be perceived as the best and that's it. So when he does play well like we all know he can, he was legit the best goalie in the world for like 2 seasons. But he's been called the best goalie in the world his whole career by the medias in Quebec. Even when he lost his starting job to Halak in the playoffs or when he sucked hard through the last few years

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Funny you say that because in the states, I always felt Marty was largely ignored until the tail end of his career. We had a legend playing here that wouldn't be acknowledged by local media until he broke the wins record.

yeah obviously i didn't get full exposure of what americans get in terms of narrative. I do watch the games through american broadcast at times. So you'd know better than i do.

As for Canada... well... there's Canada... which is everyone.. then there's Quebec. Which is an entirely different mentality. And they are just insanely brainwashed. Well most of them only speak french and doesnt understand english so they can't even get a balanced exposure to the big picture all they get is 100% what the french media is feeding them.

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Pretty much. Hockey was pretty much ignored until the 90’s, and even then, it was much more Rangers than Devils. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lol well in anything... sports, politics, social issues etc etc the media are almost never impartial, it's sickening.

I mean just like any media does they always push wtv narrative they want. The french media it's basically... if Price doesnt play well.. it's because of the team in front of him. If you bring up another goalie, well he's only doing better because he has a better team. Then when MTL actually play well... it's still Price that gets all the praises. Then when he played for team Canada and had what i feel was the best team canada ever, he still got all the praises. They just want Price to be perceived as the best and that's it. So when he does play well like we all know he can, he was legit the best goalie in the world for like 2 seasons. But he's been called the best goalie in the world his whole career by the medias in Quebec. Even when he lost his starting job to Halak in the playoffs or when he sucked hard through the last few years

You should do what I do, ignore the media. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah obviously i didn't get full exposure of what americans get in terms of narrative. I do watch the games through american broadcast at times. So you'd know better than i do.

As for Canada... well... there's Canada... which is everyone.. then there's Quebec. Which is an entirely different mentality. And they are just insanely brainwashed. Well most of them only speak french and doesnt understand english so they can't even get a balanced exposure to the big picture all they get is 100% what the french media is feeding them.

That could just be my view. I just never felt Marty got credit in the states until the end. 

And yeah Quebec is something else. I took a road trip through Toronto and then into Montreal during the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and it was a definite shock how different things were once we got into Quebec 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty much. Hockey was pretty much ignored until the 90’s, and even then, it was much more Rangers than Devils. 

You should do what I do, ignore the media. 

Well i can ignore and know how to see through their narrative. But too many people don't and they go out in the world and post on social media about it, influence and shaping other people's mind. That's a problem

I mean... we're talking about a fanbase who started a riot claiming Maurice Richard's suspension was too severed (when the rest of the league all felt it wasn't enough) and that it was only suspended for that long because he was french. Nevermind that he broke his stick hitting a player baseball swing style in the shoulder and face, then punched a ref twice in the face knocking him out unconscious.

It's so ridiculous. They even made a movie about the rocket. And for that incident, they made it that he was 100% the victim. At some point in that scene the ref was holding his arms in his back while a bruins player was hitting him in the face. And that's then thats why he punched the ref. That didn't even happen lol. Yet obviously most of the fanbase believe that now.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... we're talking about a fanbase who started a riot claiming Maurice Richard's suspension was too severed (when the rest of the league all felt it wasn't enough) and that it was only suspended for that long because he was french. Nevermind that he broke his stick hitting a player baseball swing style in the shoulder and face, then punched a ref twice in the face knocking him out unconscious.

It's so ridiculous. They even made a movie about the rocket. And for that incident, they made it that he was 100% the victim. At some point in that scene the ref was holding his arms in his back while a bruins player was hitting him in the face. And that's then thats why he punched the ref. That didn't even happen lol. Yet obviously most of the fanbase believe that now.

I probably just don’t get it since I really don’t give a fvck about what people believe. 

I was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast and Fridge seems to favor that Evans should have expected the Scheifele hit and other people are saying it as well. 

My position on that is that if that is the case, why was it suspendable at all then? If that is the case then why do we penalize for "late hits" if you're just always supposed to have the expectation of being hit? Evans didn't expect the hit because, just like everyone else INCLUDING SCHEIFELE, Evans was going to score before Scheifele got there. Scheifele even made no attempt to try to play the puck, he moved to make the hit long before it. He knew he got beat, he was just going to hit him anyway.

How is this not double speak? We penalize for late hits because guys are vulnerable and aren't expecting it, but in this situation that doesn't apply because even though Evans clearly beat any of the Jets to the net and was going to score, he should have expected to get freight trained anyway after the play? 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast and Fridge seems to favor that Evans should have expected the Scheifele hit and other people are saying it as well. 

My position on that is that if that is the case, why was it suspendable at all then? If that is the case then why do we penalize for "late hits" if you're just always supposed to have the expectation of being hit? Evans didn't expect the hit because, just like everyone else INCLUDING SCHEIFELE, Evans was going to score before Scheifele got there. Scheifele even made no attempt to try to play the puck, he moved to make the hit long before it. He knew he got beat, he was just going to hit him anyway.

How is this not double speak? We penalize for late hits because guys are vulnerable and aren't expecting it, but in this situation that doesn't apply because even though Evans clearly beat any of the Jets to the net and was going to score, he should have expected to get freight trained anyway after the play? 

It’s really an interesting play for a few reasons, not the least of which is the way people view it. It was far from the most egregious hit I have ever seen. No, he didn’t try to play the puck. I don’t think a guy should have to, but that’s a different debate. 

“After the play” is a relative term also, it was like a split second after the play. Still late, but it’s not like the guy was celebrating and just got run over. It was a bang-bang play, he deserved a penalty for it. He deserved a suspension. But some people are acting like it was way worse than it was. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s really an interesting play for a few reasons, not the least of which is the way people view it. It was far from the most egregious hit I have ever seen. No, he didn’t try to play the puck. I don’t think a guy should have to, but that’s a different debate. 

“After the play” is a relative term also, it was like a split second after the play. Still late, but it’s not like the guy was celebrating and just got run over. It was a bang-bang play, he deserved a penalty for it. He deserved a suspension. But some people are acting like it was way worse than it was. 

You're right. It was close enough to argue the play wasn't truly dead. 

Purely my opinion-- In context of the overall play, the likelihood of any Jet being able to close that gap and prevent the goal was negligible. Scheifele knew this and decided to go for the hit, rather than deciding to try to make a play on the puck, knowing the puck was going in regardless. He went to send a message. Evans wasn't completely off base not expecting to be freight trained there because he basically thought the same thing.