Playoffs

point

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

That video of him being sweeped was before the game, this was after the game, I can't imagine he was trying to talk sh!t after they got swept but people are stupid so who knows but the Article says it was a bunch of people who went after him as he was just walking home. 

This part does make me question if he was fully innocent though since this is questionable character lol... 

"Wojakowski said he’s lived in Montreal since moving here from Winnipeg in the summer of 2019 and while he has faced taunts and nasty comments from other hockey fans for wearing jerseys from other teams (he’s also a Leafs fan), it’s never been violent." 

He’s ‘also a Leafs fan’? Bullsh!t. If you have ‘two teams’, you have none.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s ‘also a Leafs fan’? Bullsh!t. If you have ‘two teams’, you have none.

Agree fully, as far as "second favorite" teams go...especially as your allegiances become fully formed.  

The only time I ever had a second team was when I rooted for the Toronto Blue Jays, as a kid (not nearly as hard as I ever did or will for the Mets, but on our 8th-grade class trip to Toronto, we went to see a game up at old Exhibition Stadium, and being 13 at the time, I kinda took an interest in them for a while...dug their unis too, with their soccer-style numbers...was a big Jimmy Key fan).  But I'll admit it, when the Jays won the 1992 and 1993 World Series, I can't say that I was nearly as ecstatic as I was when the Mets won (who were always my first team by far, no matter how they performed)...and that's when I kinda realized that even though I kept up with the Jays for about 10 years, I really wasn't all that passionate about them, especially compared to the Mets...and that was it for me, as far as ever having a second team went.  Just kind of outgrew the concept.  

I will sometimes root for another team temporarily if my team is toast, particularly if that team has a former player who I was fond of, and is going for a championship...I did root for the Bucs to win it all last season, because of Brady and Gronk...but I would never "adopt" the Bucs (or any other NFL team) as my second team.  

On that note, on one level, I'm happy for Kyle and Travis (and Greene, though less so), but I can't say that I'm "rooting" for the Isles because that damned first-rounder is getting lower and lower.  I would've rather seen the Isles go bye-bye in the first round, because that would have been best for my team.

And as someone who hates the Yankees (I respect their history, but I hate 'em), I'm always rooting for the Red Sox, but not in nearly the same way that I root for the Mets...like I said, only one second team ever in my rooting history, and that won't ever happen again.  And most of the time, when my team(s) are done, I am too.  Football is really the only sport where I'll keep watching the playoffs once my team's done, but most football fans do that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lol, every single fvcking Mets fan roots for the Red Sox. I know you, I like you, but maaaaaan I find that really pathetic. It's like saying "oh I always pull for the Kings because that one year they beat the Rangers in the finals". I cheered for the Caps while they were playing in all of those playoff series between the teams in the 2010s, but I'd never say "I'm always rooting for the Capitals". 

This is directed at the sports world as a whole and not necessarily you or the other mets fans on this subreddit, but there's a crazy complex when it comes to Yankees/Mets fans. Almost every Yankees fan I know likes the Mets -- I actively hope they're doing well, I know so many Mets fans that it's easy to cheer for them. I even borrowed a Mets cap from my friend during their WS run to wear to the bars for games! 

But every single Mets fan I knows lists the Yankees as number-one on their hate list. They seethe talking about the Yankees. Even the tiniest mention of pinstripes makes them want to kick a newborn puppy. It's such a weird dichotomy. I guess there's 2000 as one of the reasons why. And there are a huge collection of obnoxious Yankees fans (I would say percentage wise it's similar for Mets fans). But what else is it? Now that the Mets are finally starting to act like a big-market team, is that going to disappear? My uncle is a Rangers/Mets fan and he hates the Yankees more than he likes any sports franchise in the fvcking world and it's just so weird to see. 

Anyway, random, but yea. 

I don't want to make it sound like "rooting" for the Red Sox is some obsessively active thing, or that I derive more joy out of a Yankees loss than a Mets win.  It's really more just wanting to see the Red Sox ahead of the Yanks in the standings.  I obviously know who the Red Sox's more popular players are, but I couldn't name half the team right now.  As far as truly "hating" a team goes, I'd say my hatred towards the Rangers is first and foremost.  I hate everything about that franchise, their fans, everything.  Like I said, I have a certain respect for Yankee history.  I have none for the Rangers.

There's a certain type of Noo Yawk Yankee fan that I find annoying...the one that acts like it's his birthright to be in the playoffs every year, and will use words like "suffering" if it's been a while since winning a Series (despite still making the playoffs constantly).  The one that thinks the rest of the league is their personal shopping mall, and that they're entitled to any top player that's out there (and often proposing a deal involving 3-5 spare parts for such a player)...that somehow, the league only exists to make the almighty Yankees better.  That's where part of the hatred comes from, for me.  And there's the fans who claim to be Yankee fans, yet can't name more than 5 players on the team.  

2000 doesn't make me feel anything worse for the Yankees...a damned good team that won that Series fair and square, and they were simply better than the Mets.  

32 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean I absolutely have two favorite teams. I root for the Devils and whoever is playing the Rangers with equal force. 

I don't think it's gatekeeping, though. For me, I've never met someone who says "I'm a fan of several teams" who can actually name more than 3 players on each team. That's just anecdotal, maybe. Fans are allowed to do whatever the hell that they want, but this guy's little 5 minutes of internet fame is making him look like a pretty big dweeb. 

that was my angle on the gatekeeping. I know several people cheering for 2 teams and with really good / valid reasons. Also they are all very knowledgeable about hockey. There's so many reasons that can make sense as to why someone could have 2 teams they cheer for.

So the whole "if you have 2 teams you have none" nonsense is just such a narrow and closed mind point of view.

Edited by SterioDesign

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

that was my angle on the gatekeeping. I know several people cheering for 2 teams and with really good / valid reasons. Also they are all very knowledgeable about hockey. There's so many reasons that can make sense as to why someone could have 2 teams they cheer for.

So the whole "if you have 2 teams you have none" nonsense is just such a narrow and closed mind point of view.

We’ll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

I don't root for the Red Sox any more than anyone else who is playing the Yankees, but as a long-time Yankees hater (their fans are about as obnoxious as Rangers fans around here), there is always a special joy in watching teh Yankees fans be pissed at losing to their rival. 

46 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You can root for two teams, sure. But in my opinion, you aren't a die-hard fan of either in that instance. If you were, rooting for your "second favorite team" would just feel wrong. And, in terms of Devils fans, those who employ a "second favorite" that happens to be a perennial contender, that's even worse. 

It's like how you can have two girlfriends, but you can't really be all that serious about either of them if you aren't ready to commit to one of them. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That's fine, but it makes me confused why you root for the Red Sox. They're a top-5 payroll team every year for the last 2 decades, who won all of their world series' on the backs of players who were purchased from other teams. 

I think its pretty clear he's only "rooting" for them to beat and be ahead of the Yankees. Any Mets fan can get behind that to some extent, for the reasons I noted above. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We’ll agree to disagree.

For example. My buddy has always been a Sens fan. He grew up around here but lived in ottawa for years. His dad was a huge islanders fan. They'd always watch games together and that was their time together. Much like ColoradoRockies1976 and his daughter. His father passed away suddenly a few years ago and now he's fully embracing cheering for both teams cause cheering for the Islanders is making him feel like he's spending that time with his dad. 

Now you try to go and tell him "yeah if you cheer for 2 teams you have no team". 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't root for the Red Sox any more than anyone else who is playing the Yankees, but as a long-time Yankees hater (their fans are about as obnoxious as Rangers fans around here), there is always a special joy in watching teh Yankees fans be pissed at losing to their rival. 

You can root for two teams, sure. But in my opinion, you aren't a die-hard fan of either in that instance. If you were, rooting for your "second favorite team" would just feel wrong. And, in terms of Devils fans, those who employ a "second favorite" that happens to be a perennial contender, that's even worse. 

It's like how you can have two girlfriends, but you can't really be all that serious about either of them if you aren't ready to commit to one of them. 

why though? Most guys i know cheering for 2 teams knows more about those teams or hockey in general than many many many fans of one team that i know. That are just cheering for a team cause its their local team and thats it. 

Or i know guys that are fan of wtv team but moved in another city where there's a team there. And they love hockey so they embrace the local team too, so they can go see games more often than just going when your team is in town

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

why though? Most guys i know cheering for 2 teams knows more about those teams or hockey in general than many many many fans of one team that i know. That are just cheering for a team cause its their local team and thats it. 

Or i know guys that are fan of wtv team but moved in another city where there's a team there. And they love hockey so they embrace the local team too, so they can go see games more often than just going when your team is in town

Because if you are a hardcore fan, you can’t root for another team. You just can’t. In my opinion, anyway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The phrase "I'm always rooting for the Red Sox" is pretty clear to me, but who knows. 

I don't want to make it sound like "rooting" for the Red Sox is some obsessively active thing, or that I derive more joy out of a Yankees loss than a Mets win.  It's really more just wanting to see the Red Sox ahead of the Yanks in the standings” is pretty clear to me. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

For example. My buddy has always been a Sens fan. He grew up around here but lived in ottawa for years. His dad was a huge islanders fan. They'd always watch games together and that was their time together. Much like ColoradoRockies1976 and his daughter. His father passed away suddenly a few years ago and now he's fully embracing cheering for both teams cause cheering for the Islanders is making him feel like he's spending that time with his dad. 

Now you try to go and tell him "yeah if you cheer for 2 teams you have no team". 

I have news for you: your buddy was never really a Sens fan. I certainly empathize with him, and I’m sorry to hear about his dad. And if he pulls for the Islanders to do well for his dad, that’s fine. But if he is truly a die-hard Sens fan, you can’t replicate that passion for a second team. There’s an emotional attachment to a sports team one develops as a kid, usually. That means emotional and time investment. If you love a team, you love a team. There is no polygamy in sports rooting.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I know you love your long-winded semantic debates more than most (any), but I think that's CR backpedaling a bit from his initial "i'm always rooting for the red sox" comment that prompted a reply from me. 

If anyone is engaging in semantics, its you. His original quote was:

"And as someone who hates the Yankees (I respect their history, but I hate 'em), I'm always rooting for the Red Sox, but not in nearly the same way that I root for the Mets..."

Then he explained what he meant. You ignored the explanation and relied only on part of his original quote that you cherry-picked and said "i think that's clear", even though you cut out all of the qualifying language. 

You can do that with literally anything:

35 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I know you love...me. 

Damn right. 

• Thanks 1

I used to have “two teams” when the Jackets were in the west. And I can assure you I could name pretty much every player on the rosters of both them and the Devils any given year. I picked the Devils as my team during the 2000 playoffs because Scott Stevens quickly became my favorite player when I first got really into the NHL. I’ve been a hardcore NJ fan ever since.

I followed the Jackets out of proximity though. I’m in Ohio. I can get to Columbus in just over 90 minutes. They’re televised on my local sports channels, etc. And I fell for the NHL hard (I’d only really watched minor league growing up), so I wanted to consume as much of it as possible. So I rooted for them for years when they were in the west. The only time I didn’t was once a year when the Devils would come to town. I’d be up there rooting for the Devils. 

I haven’t followed CBJ as closely since they moved to the East, and I certainly don’t root for them anymore as they’re in our division (Tortorella made it even easier while he was there), but I see absolutely nothing wrong with the situation I described, or anyone having a “2nd team” for that matter. You don’t get to tell someone else they aren’t a real fan because they don’t do it the same way you do. Doesn’t work like that. 

• Like 2

Yea, not really on board with the whole one or none idea either. To each their own. 

THG has three teams and follows all the teams around the league. You could claim he isn't a real fan or something, but you'd just look a little ridiculous. He loves the sport as much as anyone on the planet. 

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea, not really on board with the whole one or none idea either. To each their own. 

THG has three teams and follows all the teams around the league. You could claim he isn't a real fan or something, but you'd just look a little ridiculous. He loves the sport as much as anyone on the planet. 

He may love the sport that much, but he doesn’t love his favorite team that much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On that note, on one level, I'm happy for Kyle and Travis (and Greene, though less so)

Kyle can fvck off, I've always been a logo on the front fan over names on the back but didn't realize how dirty Palms can be, dude hurt Blackwood on a meaningless play in a blowout game, fvck him. Hope Tampa sweeps them. 

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Kyle can fvck off, I've always been a logo on the front fan over names on the back but didn't realize how dirty Palms can be, dude hurt Blackwood on a meaningless play in a blowout game, fvck him. Hope Tampa sweeps them. 

Tampa has a player that nut-checked our 19 year old rookie (about as big a bitch move as you can get). Other than Coleman I see no reason to root for them either.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Tampa has a player that nut-checked our 19 year old rookie (about as big a bitch move as you can get). Other than Coleman I see no reason to root for them either.

I don't know any Tampa fans nor have to deal with them in our arena several times a year. I'm not rooting for Tampa, I just want the Islanders out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't know any Tampa fans nor have to deal with them in our arena several times a year. I'm not rooting for Tampa, I just want the Islanders out. 

Fair enough. I don’t have to deal with Isles fans, so I can’t speak on that. At least you have a good reason though. 

• Like 1