Playoffs

point

On 6/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, EdgeControl said:

pelech and pulock are getting it done .. two big, heavier defenseman who can take  forecheck hits all game long and not get panicked.  You need tough dmen to win playoff games. Hockey is still a physical game..

True dat. Do you think teams when playing the Devs drool over dumping the puck in corners to crush Smith?  Butcher? Carrick? Wouldn't hurt to have a couple bruisers back there.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I kinda dig it.  Back before the early 80's, you had finals between Montreal and Boston, Montreal vs Rangers, Islanders vs Philly, etc.

I wouldn't be against a 1-16 bracket irregardless of conferences/divisions.  I always felt like there should always be a good chance that the President's trophy winning team should face the second best team in the regular season in the SCF and not in the second or third rounds.

It’s definitely different, that’s for sure lol

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s definitely different, that’s for sure lol

One issue would be travel...you could have your fair share of East Coast/West Coast matchups in every round. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One issue would be travel...you could have your fair share of East Coast/West Coast matchups in every round. 

Yeah it would never happen simply because of the travel issue.  I can imagine the fit the owners of Tampa and Vancouver would have if they have to play each other in the first round.

• Like 1

this year mostly suck cause for example a Vegas - Colorado series should have been a conference final matchup.

Usually top 3 teams out of a division makes the playoffs and more often than not it's making sense, and if you're part of a really strong division, you still have a chance with the wildcards.

But now with a 7 sh!tty teams division in canada where you only need to be better than 3 sh!t teams to make it? That sucks. The jets made the playoffs with a last 10 games stretch of 3-7-0 lol

Colorado Vegas should have been a conference finals matchup.

Of course it's easy to understand why it was done this way this year and all its fine. But it is what it is. 

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

NY got screwed big time there. That’s a bad miss for a late round playoff officiating crew. 

The penalty on Point that led to the Isles' only goal shouldn't have been a penalty (he was pushed by an Islander D-man), so as things tend to do, they seem to have evened out...

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, MadDog2020 said:

No Prince of Wales Trophy or Campbell Bowl presentations either. It’s definitely weird.

I think this decision was wrong, just award the Wales to the Isles-Tampa and Campbell to Vegas when they probably win anyway. 

They can do bs play in series in the bubble last year but can't just award the trophies in a one off year format that nobody would care if an "east" team like Montreal won the Campbell or if a "west" team had won the Wales. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think this decision was wrong, just award the Wales to the Isles-Tampa and Campbell to Vegas when they probably win anyway. 

They can do bs play in series in the bubble last year but can't just award the trophies in a one off year format that nobody would care if an "east" team like Montreal won the Campbell or if a "west" team had won the Wales. 

Agreed. I don't know how they come to some of these decisions... I felt this way last year with letting the play-in stats be "playoff" stats. So the stats can be mingled for a one-off event, but the trophies can't? I don't get it... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed. I don't know how they come to some of these decisions... I felt this way last year with letting the play-in stats be "playoff" stats. So the stats can be mingled for a one-off event, but the trophies can't? I don't get it... 

I mean, they obviously had no problem realigning the entire league to be COVID friendly, it would not make much of a difference if the trophy went along with that. They would have given it back next year like everyone else lol. 

• Like 1