Playoffs

point

5 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

You're quoting me from a few games ago so no, this isn't what I was talking about

Yea, I started to figure that out later.  My bad, sorry.  

These playoffs have been a mess.  Having the odd bad call here and there is to be expected, but this has become outright sad.  It isn’t confined to the NHL either.  Football is pretty awful nowadays and I’ve heard people saying the NBA is having problems (can’t say much first hand though).  Perhaps if all these leagues paid officials more and made them full time?  I know NFL officials are basically part time employees.  How does the NHL handle this?

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

That’s what I’m getting at, our team’s social media has given our real idiots a platform to have a loud voice. Even more so then yelling “where’s the penalty” as Clarkson or Palmeri trip over the blue line for the 3rd time a period.

This is a universal phenomenon though.  Remember those idyllic early days of the internet when comment sections were going to be havens of intellectual discourse?  Yea, that didn’t work out quite that way….. I think people forgot just how stupid humans are. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

This is a universal phenomenon though.  Remember those idyllic early days of the internet when comment sections were going to be havens of intellectual discourse?  Yea, that didn’t work out quite that way….. I think people forgot just how stupid humans are. 

Social media has highlighted just how stupid humans are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Comments section were created by corporate suits who thought that they would foster some sort of "community" and as you said some sort of intelligent conversation.  They have now figured out over the past couple of years they do the complete opposite.  Even NJ.com got rid of their comments section a year or two ago because of how it just created more problems than not.

11 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Yea, I started to figure that out later.  My bad, sorry.  

These playoffs have been a mess.  Having the odd bad call here and there is to be expected, but this has become outright sad.  It isn’t confined to the NHL either.  Football is pretty awful nowadays and I’ve heard people saying the NBA is having problems (can’t say much first hand though).  Perhaps if all these leagues paid officials more and made them full time?  I know NFL officials are basically part time employees.  How does the NHL handle this?

NHL officials are paid well and are full time, a quick google search says they can get anywhere from 110k to 360k, I know they always have to travel but that's a damn good living when you can basically have half the year off as early as April to mid September. Even June to mid September off with that salary is quite nice too. 

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Comments section were created by corporate suits who thought that they would foster some sort of "community" and as you said some sort of intelligent conversation.  They have now figured out over the past couple of years they do the complete opposite.  Even NJ.com got rid of their comments section a year or two ago because of how it just created more problems than not.

The local paper here had some of the funniest comments around, basically they ripped apart every story, criticized everyone, made up facts, etc. 

It was the NJDevs of newspaper websites. 

They also decided to abandon their comments sections, and now also charge a fee for a membership for “premium” stories. Nobody uses that site anymore. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The local paper here had some of the funniest comments around, basically they ripped apart every story, criticized everyone, made up facts, etc. 

It was the NJDevs of newspaper websites. 

They also decided to abandon their comments sections, and now also charge a fee for a membership for “premium” stories. Nobody uses that site anymore. 

NJ.com did that too.  Meanwhile we can find 80-90% of those "exclusive" stories for free from different news sources.

Newspapers are a dying industry and frankly, good.  Reporters are among the worst people around these days.

Our local paper literally has a guy that walks around Staten Island and then talks about how things aren’t the same as when he was a kid in the 60’s. 

No sh!t, Sherlock, it’s 2021. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Our local paper literally has a guy that walks around Staten Island and then talks about how things aren’t the same as when he was a kid in the 60’s. 

In the food/dining section of NJ.com, there is a reporter who literally writes articles that are "Top X Restaurants in NJ accord to Yelp."

Yes, they are indeed Subscriber "exclusives" that you have to pay for.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lol... 

I remember a fan throwing down his jersey after the 2009 game 7 loss at prudential. It blew my mind. But then again I was in such shock after that game that I was laughing out loud

I've been upset at the team many times, but I feel like I'd keep my jersey. Those things are expensive 

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've talked about this before, but I always get a chuckle out of old-timers who insist that things were just SO much better in the 40s, 50s, 60s, whatever.  

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, I can definitely say that people my age have to adjust to the world our kids are growing up (my daughter was born in 2008 and will be 13 this August).  I wouldn't say the world is necessarily better or worse...just very very different...much more complex.  You can dial up a fact or look something up without ever having to get up, provided your cell phone or laptop is close enough...if I had to take a time machine and head back to the good ol' 80s, it would feel weird not to have that kind of access to music, info...all of it.  I can dial up highlights from any of the Devils' Cup runs whenever I feel like...wasn't so long ago that those memories were confined to my brain.  It's funny, I remember when MTV first came out, and when we got an Atari VCS (2600) for Christmas (pretty sure my dad wished he'd never bought one)...my and my bro (and sometimes our buds) would be gathered around the TV, getting zombified...it drove my father crazy.  I remember thinking what was the big deal?  Back then we still went outside plenty...playing football, whiffleball, riding bikes, swimming, you name it.  When I see my daughter in her entertaining room (former playroom) with the laptop, phone, AND TV going all at the same friggin' time...well, suffice it to say I know why my dad's head looked like it might explode.  My world was as foreign to him as my daughter's often is to me.  I make her go outside with me on some of my speedwalks, and I make it a point to get her out of the house (even out of that room), but this is how kids communicate now...sure, they'll hang out from time to time, but so much of their time is spent in front of screen.  It's a losing battle, but one I'm willing to fight.

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I remember a fan throwing down his jersey after the 2009 game 7 loss at prudential. It blew my mind. But then again I was in such shock after that game that I was laughing out loud

I've been upset at the team many times, but I feel like I'd keep my jersey. Those things are expensive 

Agree, no matter how pissed I get at my team(s) or certain players, I can't imagine ever destroying a jersey (or just getting rid of it, for the sake of doing so)...if I had owned a Kovy jersey, I don't think I ever would've worn it again, but even in his case, I can't imagine I would've trashed it...it just would've hung out in my closet.  I think the only exception would have little to do with game-time failure, or a player turning his back on my team...it would to have to be a particular player doing something especially heinous (pedophilia, rape, murder, etc).  If I had ever owned a Aaron Hernandez jersey, assuming I didn't take advantage of the free exchange program that the Pats implemented to allow fans to do away with unwanted Hernandez jerseys, I would've just thrown it in the garbage.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've talked about this before, but I always get a chuckle out of old-timers who insist that things were just SO much better in the 40s, 50s, 60s, whatever.  

There is some of that, but he also complains about such mundane things as a restaurant having gone out of business. “This office used to be a restaurant, I can’t believe it’s not a restaurant”. Well now it’s not, did you want to buy it and make it back into a restaurant? 

Or, he’ll post pictures of a business and complain that it’s been updated cosmetically. After 50 years. He literally expects everything to be the same as it was 50 years ago, and not only does he believe that, he writes stories about it and these idiots publish them. 

Or, he complains about people doing drugs or drinking in the woods (there have been at least 5 articles on this topic), which has been a Staten Island tradition since I have been old enough to know about such things. There were wooded areas that we knew as 8 year olds you don’t go into, because of the type of people you may find there. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, I can definitely say that people my age have to adjust to the world our kids are growing up (my daughter was born in 2008 and will be 13 this August).  I wouldn't say the world is necessarily better or worse...just very very different...much more complex.  You can dial up a fact or look something up without ever having to get up, provided your cell phone or laptop is close enough...if I had to take a time machine and head back to the good ol' 80s, it would feel weird not to have that kind of access to music, info...all of it.  I can dial up highlights from any of the Devils' Cup runs whenever I feel like...wasn't so long ago that those memories were confined to my brain.  It's funny, I remember when MTV first came out, and when we got an Atari VCS (2600) for Christmas (pretty sure my dad wished he'd never bought one)...my and my bro (and sometimes our buds) would be gathered around the TV, getting zombified...it drove my father crazy.  I remember thinking what was the big deal?  Back then we still went outside plenty...playing football, whiffleball, riding bikes, swimming, you name it.  When I see my daughter in her entertaining room (former playroom) with the laptop, phone, AND TV going all at the same friggin' time...well, suffice it to say I know why my dad's head looked like it might explode.  My world was as foreign to him as my daughter's often is to me.  I make her go outside with me on some of my speedwalks, and I make it a point to get her out of the house (even out of that room), but this is how kids communicate now...sure, they'll hang out from time to time, but so much of their time is spent in front of screen.  It's a losing battle, but one I'm willing to fight. 

I think one of the biggest issues with all this technology is that a lot of kids who are having issues with bullying or harassment from other kids can't escape that stuff when they go home. It follows them on social media and their phones since they are always connected at some point. Sure parents can restrict screen use but it can still be going on online even if you're not looking at it at the moment. 

Theres also the fake front too with so many fake people putting on a phony show and pretending their lives or their relationships are so amazing yet they end up being some of the most miserable people / dysfunctional relationships out of anyone out there.

I'm not even that old but I'll never understand why so many people overshare and even air out their dirty laundry for so many complete strangers to see. 

There's a tremendous amount of good with all this technology but there's just as many unfortunate negatives with all this. I'm sure it's only going to get worse and somehow even more intrusive. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

There is some of that, but he also complains about such mundane things as a restaurant having gone out of business. “This office used to be a restaurant, I can’t believe it’s not a restaurant”. Well now it’s not, did you want to buy it and make it back into a restaurant? 

Or, he’ll post pictures of a business and complain that it’s been updated cosmetically. After 50 years. He literally expects everything to be the same as it was 50 years ago, and not only does he believe that, he writes stories about it and these idiots publish them. 

Or, he complains about people doing drugs or drinking in the woods (there have been at least 5 articles on this topic), which has been a Staten Island tradition since I have been old enough to know about such things. There were wooded areas that we knew as 8 year olds you don’t go into, because of the type of people you may find there. 

Show me some woods, and I'll show you someplace within them where people get drunk, high, or laid.  I will say that the tick situation in NJ might be putting a mild crimp in some of that though.

And yeah things change, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.  I'm always sorry to see mom-and-pop shops go belly-up, but it happens.

That guy sounds like he's pretty stilted/stuck in the past, to an unhealthy degree...and sadly, people can sometimes truly allow themselves to fall into a "things were so much better back..."  I get nostalgia to a degree (I definitely get that way sometimes), but when it's getting to the point where all you do is clamor for and glorify a past that is never ever coming back, no good is coming out of that. 

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think one of the biggest issues with all this technology is that a lot of kids who are having issues with bullying or harassment from other kids can't escape that stuff when they go home. It follows them on social media and their phones since they are always connected at some point. Sure parents can restrict screen use but it can still be going on online even if you're not looking at it at the moment. 

Theres also the fake front too with so many fake people putting on a phony show and pretending their lives or their relationships are so amazing yet they end up being some of the most miserable people / dysfunctional relationships out of anyone out there.

I'm not even that old but I'll never understand why so many people overshare and even air out their dirty laundry for so many complete strangers to see. 

There's a tremendous amount of good with all this technology but there's just as many unfortunate negatives with all this. I'm sure it's only going to get worse and somehow even more intrusive. 

No doubt. My daughter fell out of favor with a group of girls she used to hang out with. She doesn't have to see them at school because they go on different days (thanks COVID), but even before it was "official', she got to watch all of them hanging out and not inviting her on social media. And now its happening with a couple more "friends".

That was traumatic enough, let alone once they actually start actively going after someone. 

I tell her they did her a favor, they revealed themselves and how they really are, and those are the kind of people you don't want to be friends with anyway. She likes that explanation. 

Now she mostly sticks to her theater friends, who admittedly are weirder than most, but they are super sweet, inclusive, and all that. Find your people. Don't fake it with people who aren't your people. 

• Like 2

My new latest favorite is the town I grew up in.  On the town community FB group (those community groups are typically among the worst out there), half the complaints are about the town being overdeveloped and losing its "small town flavor."  These are the same people that like to brag about how they live in a town named by some magazine as one of the best towns to live in NJ and are shocked others want to live there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

My new latest favorite is the town I grew up in.  On the town community FB group (those community groups are typically among the worst out there), half the complaints are about the town being overdeveloped and losing its "small town flavor."  These are the same people that like to brag about how they live in a town named by some magazine as one of the best towns to live in NJ and are shocked others want to live there.

Ohhh we have one of those too. Basically its people getting mad that their car was "broken into", meaning they left it unlocked and then were surprised when someone opened it and relieved them of their belongings. I remember one who said it happened at 3AM, and they stole her laptop, iPad, iPhone, and wallet, which she left in the car for god knows what reason. She did everything but place a huge sign on the car describing its contents. 

Its that and complaining about the one homeless guy that wanders around in town, who is very aggressive and far more of a concern. 

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That reminds of a piece of paper one of the neighbors left in everyone's mailbox to join the nextdoor app which I ignored. I can only imagine what's being said on there and I have no interest in any neighborhood drama. I'm sure its good for people who had a pet run away but I'm sure the rest is absolute nonsense that I want no part of lol

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

damn, it’s depressing to see a fan that has obviously been a die hard fan for 14 months just walk away from the game

Made me actually lol, not just a written lol. 

Also, they’re deep in the playoffs and he’s acting like they have been a disaster. That guy is a total douche. 

EDIT: I just read in the Post that the guy returned, put his jersey and hat back on, and then later did the whole act again. So he is also an attention whore. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1