Playoffs

point

58 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

NHL on NBC Sports literally praising Mayfield's crosscheck on Kucherov like it was some amazing play helping his team "being in the middle of everything" rather than a crosscheck from behind to the hip (which he had a surgery for this year) that resulted in an injury.

I mean wtf

Apparently the refs didn't find anything wrong with it either... 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

So MTL mostly played toronto without Tavares, the Jets without Scheifele, they played Vegas without stephenson and now they'll play Tampa without Kucherov. You watch

Who would have thought that Montreal was better than all these teams minus one player?

15 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Who would have thought that Montreal was better than all these teams minus one player?

Well there's no better example that the better team doesnt always win lol MTL were definitely better than Winnipeg, with Scheifele or not. They never showed up and weren't a great team to start with. Toronto was a better team and dominated the series but just choked typically, they just can't get it done. Vegas im shocked at how bad they are playing. Some credits foe vegas playing badly goes to MTL for playing very well defensively and pressuring them into making mistakes, but there's also a bunch of plays where vegas is just making bad plays after bad plays on their own too, their passing is terrible. I dont understand how they got through a team like Colorado.

MTL has been getting good goaltending and they are insanely opportunistic. They sure can be glad that they removed the rule against the 2 lines pass cause about 60% of t heir goal is precisely that while playing the trap. We couldn't do that sh!t way back haha

Also is this happening anywhere else around the league after a victory?

Edited by SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Apparently the refs didn't find anything wrong with it either... 

I'm not going to pretend that i know 100% that it was on purpose and all that projection crap. I'll leave that to Habs fans. But it appears like he hit him on the right hip. Which is exactly where he got his surgery. On purpose or coincidence. I have no idea but those uncalled crosschecks are getting out of hand in all series.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not going to pretend that i know 100% that it was on purpose and all that projection crap. I'll leave that to Habs fans. But it appears like he hit him on the right hip. Which is exactly where he got his surgery. On purpose or coincidence. I have no idea but those uncalled crosschecks are getting out of hand in all series.

Same guy also cross checked Stamkos against the boards and got away with it so wouldn't surprise me if he did it on purpose. 

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Same guy also cross checked Stamkos against the boards and got away with it so wouldn't surprise me if he did it on purpose. 

Yeah same, i just wouldn't make a statement that i know 100% that he did it on purpose. I have no way of knowing that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well there's no better example that the better team doesnt always win lol MTL were definitely better than Winnipeg, with Scheifele or not. They never showed up and weren't a great team to start with. Toronto was a better team and dominated the series but just choked typically, they just can't get it done. Vegas im shocked at how bad they are playing. Some credits foe vegas playing badly goes to MTL for playing very well defensively and pressuring them into making mistakes, but there's also a bunch of plays where vegas is just making bad plays after bad plays on their own too, their passing is terrible. I dont understand how they got through a team like Colorado.

MTL has been getting good goaltending and they are insanely opportunistic. They sure can be glad that they removed the rule against the 2 lines pass cause about 60% of t heir goal is precisely that while playing the trap. We couldn't do that sh!t way back haha

Also is this happening anywhere else around the league after a victory?

I like to think I have had some amazing moments in my life where I was truly pumped with excitement.  Not once did it ever occur to me that my excitement would best be expressed by:

1. Throwing trash onto a professional sporting play surface.

2. Tipping over a car.

3. Lighting something on fire.

4. Destroying anyone’s stuff, least of all my own or in my own hometown.

5. or deciding to basically go on a rampage.

OTOH, I have been told I can be a bit vanilla.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

I like to think I have had some amazing moments in my life where I was truly pumped with excitement.  Not once did it ever occur to me that my excitement would best be expressed by:

1. Throwing trash onto a professional sporting play surface.

2. Tipping over a car.

3. Lighting something on fire.

4. Destroying anyone’s stuff, least of all my own or in my own hometown.

5. or deciding to basically go on a rampage.

OTOH, I have been told I can be a bit vanilla.

Yeah well you also didn't grew up in Quebec. There's just something about their culture that is making these people act that way.

24 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Ha I don't think anybody feels bad for Kuch or the Lightning when it comes to this injury

What goes around, comes around as far as I'm concerned. It isn't like Tampa don't "play with an edge" either. Vats concussion and Nico's nuts can testify to that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Ha I don't think anybody feels bad for Kuch or the Lightning when it comes to this injury

I definitely do not.

My opinion is the play is worth a penalty, but other than that, don't be a whiny bitch. I really don't think in that split second, the guy said, "Hey, that's Kucherov. I know he had surgery on his right hip so I should cross check him there so he gets hurt). He was there, he hit him, he should have been penalized. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“Feel bad” isn’t the right word, but it’s embarrassing to see someone literally intentionally injure one of the best players in the sport and not even get called for a penalty.

surprised mind reading GIF

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You obviously haven’t played team sports a day in your fvckin life if you think that’s true. “This guy is favoring his hip, let’s throw a few slashes there” is literally exactly what happens. When Bobby Ryan was dealing with sore wrists in a playoff series against Pittsburgh, Ryan Whitney (of the Penguins) talks about how it was an understood thing in the room: when Ryan has the puck, swing for his bum wrist. 

Even in high school; we played a rival in the playoffs in football. Our rival’s QB was dealing with a left leg injury. Guess where we aimed when we tackled? When it’s malicious, like it was in the hit yesterday, it positively needs to be called and really oughta be suspendible. Because, if you’re going to let the players police themselves, I wouldn’t be surprised if Big Rig tries to rip Barzal’s knee from the socket.

I mean I guess that’s a possibility. When I played there was a goalie named Doug who was known not to wear a cup, for some stupid reason. So we invented “the Doug Shot”, which was aiming for his ding dong with the first few opportunities of the game. 

Get hit with a Doug Shot once and you will be very wary of holding your position for the rest of the game. And we definitely did it more than once. I definitely did it more than three times. Sorry Doug!!

That said, last night’s hit was malicious, and should have been a penalty. Suspendible and/or intent to injure? Too gray of an area for me. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

You obviously haven’t played team sports a day in your fvckin life if you think that’s true. “This guy is favoring his hip, let’s throw a few slashes there” is literally exactly what happens. When Bobby Ryan was dealing with sore wrists in a playoff series against Pittsburgh, Ryan Whitney (of the Penguins) talks about how it was an understood thing in the room: when Ryan has the puck, swing for his bum wrist. 

Even in high school; we played a rival in the playoffs in football. Our rival’s QB was dealing with a left leg injury. Guess where we aimed when we tackled? When it’s malicious, like it was in the hit yesterday, it positively needs to be called and really oughta be suspendible. Because, if you’re going to let the players police themselves, I wouldn’t be surprised if Big Rig tries to rip Barzal’s knee from the socket.

As someone who played competitive team sports for 20-30 years, I see both of your guys' points.  On the one hand, I think the nature of competition dictates that you take liberties and strike at opportunities when and where you can.  If you know a guy has a weakness, even if it's him being somewhat injury prone, you try to exploit it.  At least I did.  Not in the sense that I want the guy to die, or sustain some debilitating and life-altering injury.  But enough to make him sit out the rest of the game game? You bet.  I'm out there to win, not to be sensitive to my opponent's feelings or concerns.

With that said, I think what mfitz was saying is that, in a fast-paced game like hockey, you don't always have the luxury of being able to think and assess a situation for all of its subtle nuances and take advantage of a situation.  Sure the best players are those who can anticipate and predict things on the ice in split seconds, but so much of the game is reactionary, and things often happen by accident and sheer coincidence, or a player doing what he thinks is in the best interest of himself and his team, but not necessarily with regard to the specific individual player that he might be facing or near at the moment.

Edited by NJDfan1711