Playoffs

point

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i’m lying to all of you if i said i wasn’t becoming a closeted TB fan. 

leftover for rooting for them like heck against the rangers and islanders and bruins playoff series over the year, plus the proximity to them (i’m 90 minutes east of tampa) plus the fact that I’ve been to their building ~10 times as an away fan and have met exclusively kind, cheerful, respectful fans... I might buy a hat. 

they also won multiple round of the series and the cup and never trashed their cities or cop cars

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I actually do too. Would love to have him back.

Yup, me too. He’s got talent, and whatever he lacks in that area he makes up for in heart. That’s a hockey player right there. Bring him back. 

• Like 1

He's going to Dallas unless they offer him an insulting contract. He has a house there, his wife and his families are all there, now has 2 young kids as well. Plus he's already going to have 2 cup wins now and he'll get to play for his favorite team growing up. Really seems like a no brainer. 

Even if he somehow doesn't sign with them, he isn't coming back here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

He's going to Dallas unless they offer him an insulting contract. He has a house there, his wife and his families are all there, now has 2 young kids as well. Plus he's already going to have 2 cup wins now and he'll get to play for his favorite team growing up. Really seems like a no brainer. 

Can’t we use the Gena Davis line from, ‘A League of Their Own’:

I got you into the league, damnit!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

i’m lying to all of you if i said i wasn’t becoming a closeted TB fan. 

leftover for rooting for them like heck against the rangers and islanders and bruins playoff series over the year, plus the proximity to them (i’m 90 minutes east of tampa) plus the fact that I’ve been to their building ~10 times as an away fan and have met exclusively kind, cheerful, respectful fans... I might buy a hat. 

That's literally why I've been a fan of them for the 20 years I've been here. They'll never come close to my fandom and love of the Devils, but they're an easy hometown team to root for when the Devils aren't doing well. 

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Money talks.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good question. You probably have to go in the 5-6 year range at about $5 mil per I’m thinking.

I think that the term is almost certain to be his main concern. I think 5 years at 5.25m would be great. I would go 6 years if we had to. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

There’s zero chance blake coleman sees a 5/30 deal from any other team in hockey, and it’s his last big payday. 

he built a house in dallas because he’s there in the off-season and he plans to retire there, also because that’s where both he and his wife’s family live and they can support in the raising of his two kids. i’m sure if dallas offers him something close to the Devils he’ll take it; but I really think the Devils can afford to (and would be wise to) blow every other offer out of the fvcking water. 

I do still feel he will end up in Dallas but that could just be because that’s what guys do instead of playing for us.

The question then becomes, if we can overpay, should we?

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

i hope the devils overpay the fvck out of coleman this year 

Yeah, I would be very happy to have him back.  Yes, he will represent an overpayment more than likely, but Devils have the cap space to not have it hurt them.  I think there's a fine (and much needed) vet presence that he will bring...not to mention, for years he's had that knack, for scoring a timely goal.  Not to mention he could very well have two rings to his name...that's the kind of thing the kids should respect.  

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good question. You probably have to go in the 5-6 year range at about $5 mil per I’m thinking.

Yeah, this is what it will take, no question.  Like MB3 said, you gotta blow Dallas (and anyone else who might be interested) out of the water.  mfitz brings up a fair point in that it's fair to wonder if the Devils should overpay (Coleman's not a kid, etc)...but I just feel like Blake brings something the Devils really need at the moment...and like we've all discussed plenty, there's a ton of space and with PK entering his last season, even more will come off.  There will be guys to sign as these ELCs expire (hello, Jack Hughes and others), but you need some solid vets.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Dallas can't win a bidding war with NJ, though. They've only got $15m in cap room to fill out 5 roster spots, and one of those roster spots is a likely $8+m contract to Heiskanen. 

$6m for Blake Coleman is a luxury they likely cannot afford: with big money tied up to Seguin, Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Bishop, and soon Heiskanen. 

Are you suggesting we offer sheet Miro? 🤔