Playoffs

point

I am with mfitz about Blake Coleman.  I like him as a player and all, and while I don't mind a bit of an overpayment, we shouldn't go crazy for him.

Plus I think the whole leadership/experience point is overblown (as well as in general).  When he was here he didn't move the needle and neither did Zajac and Palmieri who had two Conference finals and one SCF appearance between them.  Add to PK also appearing in a SCF 4 years ago, I just don't think that intangible is enough to grossly overpay for someone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am with mfitz about Blake Coleman.  I like him as a player and all, and while I don't mind a bit of an overpayment, we shouldn't go crazy for him.

Plus I think the whole leadership/experience point is overblown (as well as in general).  When he was here he didn't move the needle and neither did Zajac and Palmieri who had two Conference finals and one SCF appearance between them.  Add to PK also appearing in a SCF 4 years ago, I just don't think that intangible is enough to grossly overpay for someone.

This team has no sandpaper. No balls. Blake Coleman brings that, and that’s what I’m happy to overpay for.

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This team has no sandpaper. No balls. Blake Coleman brings that, and that’s what I’m happy to overpay for.

I reckon. He did put up some decent numbers here too. I think it was All About the Jersey that posted 3 veteran guys that could possibly fill that grit role. One was Blake Coleman. One of the other guys was Corey Perry. If we're looking at accomplishments, he's got quite a few trophies in his case. He is like 36 though and definitely in his twilight years. I think he would be a good veteran to have around though and most likely he would come on the cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

In other news, not many things go as poorly together as sandpaper and balls. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In other news, not many things go as poorly together as sandpaper and balls. 

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/rXGXHvd257M/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Coleman might be exactly the kind of guy this team needs. He doesn't take a lot of shifts off, he plays tough, and he's been to the top (probably twice by the time free agency hits)

Those highlight goals are cool and all but the reason behind them is he doesn't give up on a play. I'd love some of that attitude on a young team

• Like 3

it would be such a win win to get Coleman back cause we'd have him AND Foote AND Mukkamadullin. And Tampa got their cup or cups.

We were not going to be contenders anyway so no point in wasting 2 years in his prime for that and we stoked on picks and players and we have him back.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it would be such a win win to get Coleman back cause we'd have him AND Foote AND Mercer. And Tampa got their cup or cups.

We were not going to be contenders anyway so no point in wasting 2 years in his prime for that and we stoked on picks and players and we have him back.

I thought the Mercer pick came from Arizona for Hall? 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it would be such a win win to get Coleman back cause we'd have him AND Foote AND Mukkamadullin. And Tampa got their cup or cups.

Even though he was well-liked, it was impossible not to embrace that deal at the time...Devils basically got two first-rounders for him.  Even if neither one of them turns out to be anything (Muk did feel like a reach), that's still a trade you gotta make every time, given the state of the Devils when the deal was made.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I gotta admit, I think we ALL get too wrapped up in one guy having to "move the needle" (I do it too).  Coleman went to Tampa and the team won the Cup with him and looks like it might win a second one with him as well...without him the previous season, they were swept by the Blue Jackets.  So did he then move the needle for them?  I'm not saying that he did or didn't...just that I think collectively, we have to back away from expecting one player to make some massive difference; usually, the talent was already there and the team had the ability to succeed, but just needed to figure things out.  Connor McDavid is as much of a "needle-mover" as there is, if you think about it...how much of a difference has he made in Edmonton?  And that's not to knock McDavid, who can play for my team anytime, anywhere...more that I think we gotta stop pointing at one player and declaring whether or not he moves the needle.  I've done it plenty, but it's a flawed way of looking at things.  

Though I don't necessarily love UFA overpayments, like others have pointed out, I think he brings some elements the Devils sorely need...and he can contribute some offense as well.  Admittedly I think this kind of a move would at least tell the fanbase that the Devils are somewhat back in it again, in terms of trying a little harder to move things along...this would be a nice change from a "middling prospect or two or a second-round pick for meh-ish NHLer with mild upside" kind of move.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

We got Kuokkanen from Carolina for like 5 games of Vatanen. Master stroke by Fitz on that one.

If nothing else, I have supreme confidence in Fitz as a seller.  Not sure about him as a team builder just yet, but I remain hopeful...I think there's something there.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Those kind of players are more for teams that are contenders.  Sometimes it works (Tampa, St. Louis) and sometimes it doesn't (Toronto).

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I gotta admit, I think we ALL get too wrapped up in one guy having to "move the needle" (I do it too).  Coleman went to Tampa and the team won the Cup with him and looks like it might win a second one with him as well...without him the previous season, they were swept by the Blue Jackets.  So did he then move the needle for them?  I'm not saying that he did or didn't...just that I think collectively, we have to back away from expecting one player to make some massive difference; usually, the talent was already there and the team had the ability to succeed, but just needed to figure things out.  Connor McDavid is as much of a "needle-mover" as there is, if you think about it...how much of a difference as he made in Edmonton?  And that's not to knock McDavid, who can play for my team anytime, anywhere...more that I think we gotta stop pointing at one player and declaring whether or not he moves the needle.  I've done it plenty, but it's a flawed way of looking at things.  

Though I don't necessarily love UFA overpayments, like others have pointed out, I think he brings some elements the Devils sorely need...and he can contribute some offense as well.  Admittedly I think this kind of a move would at least tell the fanbase that the Devils are somewhat back in it again, in terms of trying a little harder to move things along...this would be a nice change from a "middling prospect or two or a second-round pick for meh-ish NHLer with mild upside" kind of move.

I am alright with overpaying, but not the "whatever-it-takes" kind of overpayment.  He still is a 3rd liner on a good team player that you just don't back the Brinks truck up for.  I would rather have that go towards something else.

McDavid might not make Edmonton cup contenders, but without him they are right with us on being a bottom 5 team in the league.  Him and Drai basically willed that team into the playoffs.  I would say he moves the needle.

I know this isn't basketball where 1 or 2 players can make a team go from a middling team to a contender overnight.  However, I am done with the Simmonds/Stafford kind of signings and trades for other teams most expendable players.  That philosophy hasn't made a dent in the past 4-5 seasons and a change is needed.  The letting go of players like Greene, Zajac, and Palmieri is a step in the right direction, but at some point I would like to see moves with the intent of improving the team rather than deadline dumps, moves to reach the cap floor or moves that have to go through some sort of ROI vetting before they are made.  Devils gotta take a risk eventually and not always do the safe or financially smart move.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If nothing else, I have supreme confidence in Fitz as a seller.  Not sure about him as a team builder just yet, but I remain hopeful...I think there's something there.  

Your entire post is true, but the bolded is where I am generally concerned.  He can tear things down quite well, but when he follows up a move like trading Coleman for a 1st rounder and Nolan Foote (yay!) only to use that 1st rounder to draft a guy who was a 3rd rounder on practically everyone's boards (boo!), I get skeptical.

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Your entire post is true, but the bolded is where I am generally concerned.  He can tear things down quite well, but when he follows up a move like trading Coleman for a 1st rounder and Nolan Foote (yay!) only to use that 1st rounder to draft a guy who was a 3rd rounder on practically everyone's boards (boo!), I get skeptical.

Hey, are you making stuff up again?

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Going off the top of my head, but I remember a number of people being very surprised at how high the Devils took Muk...think the general feeling was that Muk was more of a second or third-rounder.  

9 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Are you going to join that Woo-Crew they put an ad up for yesterday?  I think you would be perfect for it.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Going off the top of my head, but I remember a number of people being very surprised at how high the Devils took Muk...think the general feeling was that Muk was more of a second or third-rounder.  

Nah, I made it up like Crisis said.  He was a top 10 pick that luckily fell to us.

I have no idea what "Woo-Crew" is or who "they" are, so I'm just going to assume you made that up too.

McKenzie and Cosentino had Shakir in the first and Pronman and Button had him in the high second.  I didn't say he wasn't a reach, but I'm definitely going to call you out when you continually talk out of your ass.

• Like 2