Playoffs

point

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Those kind of players are more for teams that are contenders.  Sometimes it works (Tampa, St. Louis) and sometimes it doesn't (Toronto).

I don’t disagree, but I also don’t care. I want him back here to set an example for the young guys too. He brings quite a bit of value to the table from a couple of different angles. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think there’s going to be a few teams who would want Coleman. I read a blurb from Brooks saying he would be a perfect fit for what the rags are trying to do as far as adding grit and skill goes. Not that he’s going there, but I think Coleman’s going to be sought after. I would love him back here.

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Coleman could also see an opportunity to play on a top 6 role in NJ.

So if the money is there, is best pal, potentially a bigger role and more terms. We may be able to convince him

He already knows what it’s like to be in NJ as well. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but if he liked it here, I guess it’s good. 

1 minute ago, xxchaznjxx said:

Unfortunately I think there’s going to be a few teams who would want Coleman. I read a blurb from Brooks saying he would be a perfect fit for what the rags are trying to do as far as adding grit and skill goes. Not that he’s going there, but I think Coleman’s going to be sought after. I would love him back here.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't go to Dallas. He can play for his hometown team who are supposed to at least contend for the playoffs, if not more, live in his home town and continue to have low taxes while he cashes in on his biggest payout of his career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He already knows what it’s like to be in NJ as well. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but if he liked it here, I guess it’s good. 

Fwiw, he usually commented very positively about his time here. I remember him raving about the atmosphere in game 3 vs TB, saying it was the best hockey atmosphere he’d ever been a part of. That’s high praise.

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Fwiw, he usually commented very positively about his time here. I remember him raving about the atmosphere in game 3 vs TB, saying it was the best hockey atmosphere he’d ever been a part of. That’s high praise.

I just think it’s hard to distinguish between a guy saying what you are “supposed” to say vs. his genuine opinion. 

Of course, it was also his only NHL experience at the time, I am pretty sure he would say the same (or better) about Tampa now. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I just think it’s hard to distinguish between a guy saying what you are “supposed” to say vs. his genuine opinion. 

Of course, it was also his only NHL experience at the time, I am pretty sure he would say the same (or better) about Tampa now. 

True although I don’t think anyone would be believed for saying a Tampa game atmosphere was the best. Nothing against those fans and they pack the building but it sounds like a library on tv. They give out fake clappers ffs.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

True although I don’t think anyone would be believed for saying a Tampa game atmosphere was the best. Nothing against those fans and they pack the building but it sounds like a library on tv. They give out fake clappers ffs.

I am willing to bet that if you insert the Stanley Cup into the scenario, that might have an impact on one's interpretation of the atmosphere. Do I think a player might say Tampa fans made for a better atmosphere in the Stanley Cup Finals than the Devils' fans did in a first round series that basically everyone knew they'd lose? Yes, yes I do.

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Mukhmadulin was supposed to be a late first, early 2nd round pick. It was a reach, but it wasn't some horrible off-the-wall pick, and the scouting report on him the last few years is mostly positive. With any non-top-5-pick defensive prospect you've gotta give them a few years to judge (was it you that was already convinced Ty Smith was a bust because he couldn't crack 2020's roster?) but using that pick as an indictment on Fitzgerald is premature at best.  

Three lists put him in first round.

Two lists in the second round

Two lists in the third or later rounds.

Elite Prospects had him on the DND list.

https://thehockeywriters.com/shakir-mukhamadullin-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

With a team that needs to nail as many first rounders as they can, wasting it on a guy who could have gone a round or two later isn't the best way to accomplish that.  Early reports are positive, but given where he plays there hasn't been a whole lot to report on him.  Instead most of the positivity comes from him being high on some "probability to make NHL roster" chart that some stat nerds conjured up that can't even be explained.

I never said Ty Smith was a bust.  However, it was concerning at the time which I think is fair.  However, knowing this board, being concerned is often misconstrued (often purposefully) as labeling a player a bust.

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Three lists put him in first round.

Two lists in the second round

Two lists in the third or later rounds.

Elite Prospects had him on the DND list.

https://thehockeywriters.com/shakir-mukhamadullin-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

With a team that needs to nail as many first rounders as they can, wasting it on a guy who could have gone a round or two later isn't the best way to accomplish that.  Early reports are positive, but given where he plays there hasn't been a whole lot to report on him.  Instead most of the positivity comes from him being high on some "probability to make NHL roster" chart that some stat nerds conjured up that can't even be explained.

I never said Ty Smith was a bust.  However, it was concerning at the time which I think is fair.  However, knowing this board, being concerned is often misconstrued (often purposefully) as labeling a player a bust.

Most of the positivity comes from him leading U20 defenseman in scoring and breaking the record for most points by an 18 year old dman in the KHL.

Please post this stat nerd chart that you conjured up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, we don’t really have an exceptionally loud crowd to begin with. 

Fans have had virtually nothing to cheer for the vast majority of the time spent at Prudential so that certainly doesn't help anything. Place was absolutely rocking on the opening night of the 19-20 season before the blown lead led to another disaster and failure of a season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Fans have had virtually nothing to cheer for the vast majority of the time spent at Prudential so that certainly doesn't help anything. Place was absolutely rocking on the opening night of the 19-20 season before the blown lead led to another disaster and failure of a season. 

Quality summary. 

5 hours ago, devlman said:

I remember he also hosted the Devils’ social media coverage of the VMA’s when they were at the Rock a couple of years ago.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1