Playoffs

point

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the french media didnt make much of Hellebuyck. Almost all the  jets players doing interviews before the series were asked about facing Price. I didn't see a single Habs fans getting asked about facing Hellebuyck. Which you know, has been solid for years and very consistent. Winning the vezina last year. Price on the other hand has been really up and down through the last 4 years, had a save % way below .900 for a good chunk of the season and got his goalie coach fired.

And TSN would post constantly about Price but not Hellebuyck on their instagram. I mean... through the first round. Many goalies has been amazing. Price wasn't even in the top 10 in save % during the first round. Campbell in Toronto even had better stats than Price. Yet the media were strictly all about him. It's getting annoying and in hindsight i assume we were blind to that too when it was the same thing about Marty. The media were pushing what we wanted to believe and it "made sense" to us. 

Funny you say that because in the states, I always felt Marty was largely ignored until the tail end of his career. We had a legend playing here that wouldn't be acknowledged by local media until he broke the wins record.

Granted I lived deep in Ranger country during most of his career though 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hellebuyck is on a Canadian team, but isn’t Canadian. From what I have seen over the years, French-Canadian media is absolutely going to favor him. 

I think the issue is that you expect the media to be impartial, when clearly they never are. 

lol well in anything... sports, politics, social issues etc etc the media are almost never impartial, it's sickening.

I mean just like any media does they always push wtv narrative they want. The french media it's basically... if Price doesnt play well.. it's because of the team in front of him. If you bring up another goalie, well he's only doing better because he has a better team. Then when MTL actually play well... it's still Price that gets all the praises. Then when he played for team Canada and had what i feel was the best team canada ever, he still got all the praises. They just want Price to be perceived as the best and that's it. So when he does play well like we all know he can, he was legit the best goalie in the world for like 2 seasons. But he's been called the best goalie in the world his whole career by the medias in Quebec. Even when he lost his starting job to Halak in the playoffs or when he sucked hard through the last few years

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Funny you say that because in the states, I always felt Marty was largely ignored until the tail end of his career. We had a legend playing here that wouldn't be acknowledged by local media until he broke the wins record.

yeah obviously i didn't get full exposure of what americans get in terms of narrative. I do watch the games through american broadcast at times. So you'd know better than i do.

As for Canada... well... there's Canada... which is everyone.. then there's Quebec. Which is an entirely different mentality. And they are just insanely brainwashed. Well most of them only speak french and doesnt understand english so they can't even get a balanced exposure to the big picture all they get is 100% what the french media is feeding them.

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Pretty much. Hockey was pretty much ignored until the 90’s, and even then, it was much more Rangers than Devils. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lol well in anything... sports, politics, social issues etc etc the media are almost never impartial, it's sickening.

I mean just like any media does they always push wtv narrative they want. The french media it's basically... if Price doesnt play well.. it's because of the team in front of him. If you bring up another goalie, well he's only doing better because he has a better team. Then when MTL actually play well... it's still Price that gets all the praises. Then when he played for team Canada and had what i feel was the best team canada ever, he still got all the praises. They just want Price to be perceived as the best and that's it. So when he does play well like we all know he can, he was legit the best goalie in the world for like 2 seasons. But he's been called the best goalie in the world his whole career by the medias in Quebec. Even when he lost his starting job to Halak in the playoffs or when he sucked hard through the last few years

You should do what I do, ignore the media. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah obviously i didn't get full exposure of what americans get in terms of narrative. I do watch the games through american broadcast at times. So you'd know better than i do.

As for Canada... well... there's Canada... which is everyone.. then there's Quebec. Which is an entirely different mentality. And they are just insanely brainwashed. Well most of them only speak french and doesnt understand english so they can't even get a balanced exposure to the big picture all they get is 100% what the french media is feeding them.

That could just be my view. I just never felt Marty got credit in the states until the end. 

And yeah Quebec is something else. I took a road trip through Toronto and then into Montreal during the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and it was a definite shock how different things were once we got into Quebec 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty much. Hockey was pretty much ignored until the 90’s, and even then, it was much more Rangers than Devils. 

You should do what I do, ignore the media. 

Well i can ignore and know how to see through their narrative. But too many people don't and they go out in the world and post on social media about it, influence and shaping other people's mind. That's a problem

Posted (edited)

I mean... we're talking about a fanbase who started a riot claiming Maurice Richard's suspension was too severed (when the rest of the league all felt it wasn't enough) and that it was only suspended for that long because he was french. Nevermind that he broke his stick hitting a player baseball swing style in the shoulder and face, then punched a ref twice in the face knocking him out unconscious.

It's so ridiculous. They even made a movie about the rocket. And for that incident, they made it that he was 100% the victim. At some point in that scene the ref was holding his arms in his back while a bruins player was hitting him in the face. And that's then thats why he punched the ref. That didn't even happen lol. Yet obviously most of the fanbase believe that now.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... we're talking about a fanbase who started a riot claiming Maurice Richard's suspension was too severed (when the rest of the league all felt it wasn't enough) and that it was only suspended for that long because he was french. Nevermind that he broke his stick hitting a player baseball swing style in the shoulder and face, then punched a ref twice in the face knocking him out unconscious.

It's so ridiculous. They even made a movie about the rocket. And for that incident, they made it that he was 100% the victim. At some point in that scene the ref was holding his arms in his back while a bruins player was hitting him in the face. And that's then thats why he punched the ref. That didn't even happen lol. Yet obviously most of the fanbase believe that now.

I probably just don’t get it since I really don’t give a fvck about what people believe. 

I was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast and Fridge seems to favor that Evans should have expected the Scheifele hit and other people are saying it as well. 

My position on that is that if that is the case, why was it suspendable at all then? If that is the case then why do we penalize for "late hits" if you're just always supposed to have the expectation of being hit? Evans didn't expect the hit because, just like everyone else INCLUDING SCHEIFELE, Evans was going to score before Scheifele got there. Scheifele even made no attempt to try to play the puck, he moved to make the hit long before it. He knew he got beat, he was just going to hit him anyway.

How is this not double speak? We penalize for late hits because guys are vulnerable and aren't expecting it, but in this situation that doesn't apply because even though Evans clearly beat any of the Jets to the net and was going to score, he should have expected to get freight trained anyway after the play? 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast and Fridge seems to favor that Evans should have expected the Scheifele hit and other people are saying it as well. 

My position on that is that if that is the case, why was it suspendable at all then? If that is the case then why do we penalize for "late hits" if you're just always supposed to have the expectation of being hit? Evans didn't expect the hit because, just like everyone else INCLUDING SCHEIFELE, Evans was going to score before Scheifele got there. Scheifele even made no attempt to try to play the puck, he moved to make the hit long before it. He knew he got beat, he was just going to hit him anyway.

How is this not double speak? We penalize for late hits because guys are vulnerable and aren't expecting it, but in this situation that doesn't apply because even though Evans clearly beat any of the Jets to the net and was going to score, he should have expected to get freight trained anyway after the play? 

It’s really an interesting play for a few reasons, not the least of which is the way people view it. It was far from the most egregious hit I have ever seen. No, he didn’t try to play the puck. I don’t think a guy should have to, but that’s a different debate. 

“After the play” is a relative term also, it was like a split second after the play. Still late, but it’s not like the guy was celebrating and just got run over. It was a bang-bang play, he deserved a penalty for it. He deserved a suspension. But some people are acting like it was way worse than it was. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s really an interesting play for a few reasons, not the least of which is the way people view it. It was far from the most egregious hit I have ever seen. No, he didn’t try to play the puck. I don’t think a guy should have to, but that’s a different debate. 

“After the play” is a relative term also, it was like a split second after the play. Still late, but it’s not like the guy was celebrating and just got run over. It was a bang-bang play, he deserved a penalty for it. He deserved a suspension. But some people are acting like it was way worse than it was. 

You're right. It was close enough to argue the play wasn't truly dead. 

Purely my opinion-- In context of the overall play, the likelihood of any Jet being able to close that gap and prevent the goal was negligible. Scheifele knew this and decided to go for the hit, rather than deciding to try to make a play on the puck, knowing the puck was going in regardless. He went to send a message. Evans wasn't completely off base not expecting to be freight trained there because he basically thought the same thing.

48 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You're right. It was close enough to argue the play wasn't truly dead. 

Purely my opinion-- In context of the overall play, the likelihood of any Jet being able to close that gap and prevent the goal was negligible. Scheifele knew this and decided to go for the hit, rather than deciding to try to make a play on the puck, knowing the puck was going in regardless. He went to send a message. Evans wasn't completely off base not expecting to be freight trained there because he basically thought the same thing.

First, you don't know what Evans thought, so don't pretend to.  Maybe he didn't think Scheifele was going to hit him because he was going to score, or because he thought Scheifele would try to play the puck.  Or he thought Schefeile was going to hit him so he knew he had to take the hit to dunk the puck to win the game.

Second, it's 100% a charging penalty.  "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

image.png.7f46fedd2227e819513701fdc0b0e09a.png

Posted (edited)

Obviously when people judge these hits they'll look at it differently depending on what you want the outcome to be lol

In this case i heard a lot of "he didn't even try to play the puck"... well sure but is that bad? considering what we see during games all season long? How often do we see a player making a pass around the boards or clearing the puck and taking a hit after? Like there's never an attempt to play the puck there eithejr. I mean, we honestly see that all game long all the time. Guys are thought to finish their hit. 

Like in the spirit of scheifele getting suspended. Then i don't understand why Pacioretty wasn't in this case. He was also skating from the same distance Scheifele was, made a hit to a vulnerable player and thats it. It's unfortunate when the player is hurt but this is still a pretty regular play most days. Scheifele got him right in the chest too, buddy had his head down too. To me that's more dangerous than hitting a guy from behind in the boards from that distance

Edited by SterioDesign

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's unfortunate when the player is hurt but this is still a pretty regular play most days.

I’m not sure that a guy getting freight trained after an empty netter is a “pretty regular play”. Out of context, sure, guys get hit after playing the puck all the time. But in context, I don’t see a lot of guys getting run in that situation. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure that a guy getting freight trained after an empty netter is a “pretty regular play”. Out of context, sure, guys get hit after playing the puck all the time. But in context, I don’t see a lot of guys getting run in that situation. 

yeah but how often does a guy is skating with the puck towards a player backchecking ? 

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah but how often does a guy is skating with the puck towards a player backchecking ? 

Right, that’s what I’m saying. It happens, just not in the context that it happened this time. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, that’s what I’m saying. It happens, just not in the context that it happened this time. 

i think we're pretty much seeing it the same way. It was obviously a charging hit and fine for a suspension. 2 games maybe but people losing their sh!t like he should have been suspended for like 10 games or wtv are just losing their mind. It wasnt as vicious as they want to believe. But again, that's typical MTL

Edited by SterioDesign

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i think we're pretty much seeing it the same way. It was obviously a charging hit and fine for a suspension. 2 games maybe but people losing their sh!t like he should have been suspended for like 10 games or wtv are just losing their mind. It wasnt as vicious as they want to believe. But again, that's typical MTL

We are 100% in agreement with the caveat that I am not from Canada or Montreal and I only know a little bit about what that’s like. That’s your area of specialty and I defer to you on that. 

Edited by mfitz804

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Crisis said:

First, you don't know what Evans thought, so don't pretend to.  Maybe he didn't think Scheifele was going to hit him because he was going to score, or because he thought Scheifele would try to play the puck.  Or he thought Schefeile was going to hit him so he knew he had to take the hit to dunk the puck to win the game.

Second, it's 100% a charging penalty.  "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

image.png.7f46fedd2227e819513701fdc0b0e09a.png

I wasn't pretending to know anything. I said it was my opinion. It's the part where I say "Purely my opinion--" in the very front of everything I wrote.

EDIT: Also, I speculate more about what I thought was going through Scheifele's head in that situation than Evans. Just pointing that out.

Edited by NJDevils1214

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wasn't pretending to know anything. I said it was my opinion. It's the part where I say "Purely my opinion--" in the very front of everything I wrote.

EDIT: Also, I speculate more about what I thought was going through Scheifele's head in that situation than Evans. Just pointing that out.

Fair enough. I misread it.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Fair enough. I misread it.

Dude, do you even NJDevs?? You aren’t ever supposed to admit being wrong!!