Playoffs

point

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

there's 2 way to look at this.

While it's certainly going against the spirit of the CBA in my opinion. It still deserves some credits. We've seen guys come back from injury and it took awhile for them to regain their level of play. Kuch came back and was on fire out of the gate, very very hard to do when you havent seen NHL action for months.

Then making the playoffs missing a guy like Kucherov is also not easy. Shows how insanely deep that team is. Winning a cup without Stamkos playing, making the playoffs easily without their best forward out all season, etc etc easier said than done

What bothers me about the entire thing besides the typical if we tried it we’d get fined/banned/suspended, is that he was 100% a month before the playoffs. No one was hiding him skating hard and being pretty much healthy, just not skating with the team. The league loves “the spirit of the rule” taglines when it suits them, but man how quickly it vanishes when it wants to. 

Tampa pulled a fantasy hockey move where you grab a guy off free agency, stash him on IR all year, even when healthy, and then activate him when it suits you. 

31 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Funny you mention him, but Stamkos has been invisible both this and last playoffs, and yes I know he missed many games last year. Clearly not close to the same player he was before that gruesome leg injury.

Well then even more credits to them if they can have a 8+ millions dude invisible in the playoffs and about to go back to back cups

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

What bothers me about the entire thing besides the typical if we tried it we’d get fined/banned/suspended, is that he was 100% a month before the playoffs. No one was hiding him skating hard and being pretty much healthy, just not skating with the team. The league loves “the spirit of the rule” taglines when it suits them, but man how quickly it vanishes when it wants to. 

Tampa pulled a fantasy hockey move where you grab a guy off free agency, stash him on IR all year, even when healthy, and then activate him when it suits you. 

I don’t follow these things closely enough, but why does everyone assume Kucherov sitting out was cap circumvention? Didn’t he have hip surgery?

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t follow these things closely enough, but why does everyone assume Kucherov sitting out was cap circumvention? Didn’t he have hip surgery?

he did have hip surgery (or whatever it was), but again he was nearly a full participant in practices well before the season ended (like weeks). Its one thing if he was just non-contact or even skating with the scratches, but I definitely saw and heard about him being essentially full-up ready. The only reason I'm so upset about it. He was healthy but they had their post season ticket all but punched, so they didn't need him and sat on it. At this point it is what it is and I'm sure this loophole won't be closed anytime soon, just annoying that talking heads act like there wasn't some gamesmanship being played

I don’t think there is any way to prove he was “ready”. That’s the issue. Honestly, it makes more sense to hold him out until the playoffs and give him more recovery time, since they were already playoff bound. 

I don’t know, I’m just not offended by this. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think there is any way to prove he was “ready”. That’s the issue. Honestly, it makes more sense to hold him out until the playoffs and give him more recovery time, since they were already playoff bound. 

I don’t know, I’m just not offended by this. 

I'm not offended either but that's probably also cause we stunk and it didn't affect us anyway. 

It’s kind of common sense. Usually we are talking about holding a guy out because it’s pointless if he comes back and we’re there he have the extra time to recuperate. Same thing applies if you are already playoff bound, I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Pretty sure Lou already did stuff like this, didn't he? I seem recall someone being sent to Russia or something

Yeah well at some point we couldn't dress a full lineup for a game or games cause Lou fvcked something up and would have been over the cap if we brought back a player from LTIR. (telling the media not to worry about his cap but then we had to play down a man lol) I believe it was Elias.

So yeah it goes both way. You they COULD bring Kuch back but they couldn't dress a full lineup

Edited by SterioDesign

The real issue here is cap avoidance. No one argues with sitting Kucherov until the playoffs, the issue is that his salary should have counted against the cap, and then Tbay would be over. For instance, Montreal sat Carey Price for about a month for an 'injury' before the Playoffs, but his salary still counted against the cap, to the point that they couldn't even play Caufield because they were too close to the cap.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

omg many fans will be sh!tting bricks about sitting KK who was like the second coming of jesus to them. Now if they lose it's going to be 100% because of that in their mind lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

omg many fans will be sh!tting bricks about sitting KK who was like the second coming of jesus to them. Now if they lose it's going to be 100% because of that in their mind lol

That is definitely a surprising move. Evans is drawing in in Kotkaniemi’s place.

4 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The Stanley Cup could be won tonight and it's literally the least excited I've been about it in memory 

Same here. I’ve actually been switching over to baseball during the first few games. 

i love Weber but he slashed, crosschecked and played dirty the whole playoffs so if they lose on that high stick penalty well, thats karma

But with their luck they'll score a OT shorthanded winner. They didn't get one of those gift goal in this series yet