NHL 2021 Draft Lottery Live Watch Thread, 6/2 7PM

RunninWithTheDevil

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Uhh, LgD! Hopefully this is the last time in a while we have to worry about lottery...

Yeah but if we're in a good position to land one of Shane Wright, Connor Bedard or Matvei Michkov in the next 2 year. Would sucks to go through but we should get really really really really excited about the possibility to land a player of that caliber

58 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have a weird feeling we will be picking either 2, 4 or 5.

I would sign up for that.   Without a clear number 1, I don’t really want our pick to carry that pressure of being the top guy and obviously I would prefer not to slide to 6 in worst case scenario.   

• Like 3

I really disagree with not wanting the first pick. Get the first pick, and take your shot.

Respectfully, if anyone in our management shares the view that the number one pick carries too much pressure with it, they should be fired. That pressure is what they get paid for. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I really disagree with not wanting the first pick. Get the first pick, and take your shot.

Respectfully, if anyone in our management shares the view that the number one pick carries too much pressure with it, they should be fired. That pressure is what they get paid for. 

I dont see situation where anyone from our managemant group can say something like that. They will chose where they will and no one ask about their worries. It's compromising. If someone really says so, he really should be fired. Immediately. It doesn't matter that such words have no meaning. It's a signature in fear of one's own incompetence.

Btw I really want devils will draft 2nd, not first.

Edited by Guadana

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not manangement, the pressure on the player itself. 

Besides, if Beniers goes 1 we could get the same player at two that we would take at 1 assuming we're going to take a D ...and if we're hellbent on taking Hughes, then I really don't want to do it from the top spot.    

Edited by Lateralous

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Not manangement, the pressure on the player itself. 

Besides, if Beniers goes 1 we could get the same player at two that we would take at 1 assuming we're going to take a D ...and if we're hellbent on taking Hughes, then I really don't want to do it from the top spot.    

I still don’t agree, and if a guy thinks that being #2 OA gives him an easier time than being #1 OA, I have questions about his mental fortitude. 

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We absolutely nailed going with the rising Nico over #1 Patrick...
We absolutely nailed sticking with #1 Hughes over the rising Kakko...  (although I'm pretty sure it was never a question, just media talking point)

If we have the advantage of being the first to act, I'd rather that... than to rely on the first team choosing poorly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aylbert said:

We absolutely nailed sticking with #1 Hughes over the rising Kakko...  (although I'm pretty sure it was never a question, just media talking point)

If we have the advantage of being the first to act, I'd rather that... than to rely on the first team choosing poorly.

Agreed. Why would you pass on having your choice of the best available player? Doesn’t make sense to me. Draft as high as possible, get the best guy you can. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. Why would you pass on having your choice of the best available player? Doesn’t make sense to me. Draft as high as possible, get the best guy you can. 

Because apparently landing the best player available is not as important as getting 3-4 extra wins so that the players don't develop a losing attitude.

Keep up dude. Keep up. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Yeah, another one in agreement here...get the highest pick and hope you nail it.

Re:  Nico vs. Nolan, as much as I love Nico, his career has gone a little sideways, with the injuries and the stops and starts that have come with them...but I still think terrific days lay ahead, especially if he can just stay healthy.  But I can't imagine what it must be like watching Nolan...guy puts up five points in his first seven GP (after missing all of the previous season), and Flyer fans are thinking the kid's finally arrived...and then it's four points in 45 games, with a -30 rating in those games to boot (of course I know +/- can be tricky).  Suffice it to say I couldn't be happier that the Devils had the first choice, and used it on Nico.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Because apparently landing the best player available is not as important as getting 3-4 extra wins so that the players don't develop a losing attitude.

Keep up dude. Keep up. 

This has nothing to do with what's being discussed. Still love you, but this is why people criticize you for constantly repeating the same thing, when it isn't even relevant to the conversation. 

The season is over, whether we get 1 or 2 or 6 is now a matter of chance. We're talking about what position would be best to land in, not what it took to arrive there. 

• Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This has nothing to do with what's being discussed. Still love you, but this is why people criticize you for constantly repeating the same thing, when it isn't even relevant to the conversation. 

The season is over, whether we get 1 or 2 or 6 is now a matter of chance. We're talking about what position would be best to land in, not what it took to arrive there. 

lol gotcha.

I will look into this criticism in great details as it's coming from someone with tons of experience in the matter as also constantly repeating the same things and bring stuff up to poke opinions you don't agree with like Jack's elite skating, expected goals and soooooooo much more lol

Edited by SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

For some reason some struggle to comprehend that finishing with the worst record is not a guarantee that you'll get the #1 overall pick.  We've seen that not be the case a number of times...including the 2017 (4th-worst record) and 2019 (3rd-worst) drafts that saw the Devils land the #1 overall picks.

Besides, I'd much rather see things played straight...I don't need to see 5-7 teams trying to out-tank each other down the stretch in trying to get the best odds to pick first overall.  

But yeah, play your season honestly, you wind up where you wind up, and if you're near or at the bottom of the barrel, hope to get a nice break when it comes to where you pick.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For some reason some struggle to comprehend that finishing with the worst record is not a guarantee that you'll get the #1 overall pick.  We've seen that not be the case a number of times...including the 2017 (4th-worst record) and 2019 (3rd-worst) drafts that saw the Devils land the #1 overall picks.

Besides, I'd much rather see things played straight...I don't need to see 5-7 teams trying to out-tank each other down the stretch in trying to get the best odds to pick first overall.  

But yeah, play your season honestly, you wind up where you wind up, and if you're near or at the bottom of the barrel, hope to get a nice break when it comes to where you pick.  

I literally haven't seen anyone not understanding that. Who are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lol gotcha.

I will look into this criticism in great details as it's coming from someone with tons of experience in the matter as also constantly repeating the same things and bring stuff up to poke opinions you don't agree with like Jack's elite skating, expected goals and soooooooo much more lol

Yeah, but I bring them up in the right context, which was the point.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s not a guarantee, you get a better chance. 3 less points and we would have approximately a 2% better chance, and 9 points less for a 6.5% better chance. 

I get the tanking argument, the problem is 1) we already tanked by trading away everyone and playing AHL players, and 2) doing any more would be a complete farce and we would lose all credibility as an organization. 

I like a bigger chance to get #1. But I won’t advocate losing on purpose to do it. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, but I bring them up in the right context, which was the point.

lol i personally pretty much always saw anything jack related eye to eye with you so im on your side for that but to say you never brought up his skating to mock someone in here and that it was perfectly in context and not a reach is simply not true lol

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lol i personally pretty much always saw anything jack related eye to eye with you so im on your side for that but to say you never brought up his skating to mock someone in here and that it was perfectly in context and not a reach is simply not true lol

Prove it. Unless I was intentionally breaking @Nicomo’s balls at the time, which I will admit to having done. 

Edited by mfitz804