Jump to content

NHL 2021 Draft Lottery Live Watch Thread, 6/2 7PM


Recommended Posts

The lottery isn’t rigged guys, holy cow. I said it out of furious spite last year when the rangers got it but it just isn’t. It’s filmed and aired. Computer generated 4-digit numbers are already listed, and fvcking bouncy ping pong balls shoot out of a tube. They publish the teams’ corresponding codes and they let us watch the footage of them being selected. There’s nothing they can do to “rig” it. 

If you wanna tell me the 2006 lottery was rigged to have the golden child land on a dying franchise, I’ll buy it. But not now, not with the technology we have and the transparency they show.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

To the first bolded part, I'm not sure he is of the opinion to root for the rebuild, but I get the sense that he's content with the team being average (or terrible) and not doing all they can to be good tomorrow, as long as they have a plan in place to be good in 3 years, 5 years, or 10 years, or whatever it may be.  

To your second bolded part - exactly - and I completely agree.  That's fvcking stupid.  I don't understand the concept of not maxing out your possibilities and even taking some gambles and chances here or there in order to try to win and be good tomorrow.  Who the fvck gives a sh!t what's gonna happen 3, 5 or even 10 years from now?  Plenty of time to worry and plan for that later.  

I can describe my stance but in order to do that i need to go back a bit and that will trigger anyone who don't want to hear me being critical in parts about Lou. So let's all have a good day and if you're gonna get triggered and start a whole debate about this, let's just skip it. This is just my opinion.

So no i'm not "rooting" for a rebuild and it's not that i'm content with being average. It's that i realize that there's just no other way around it. Through the golden years of the franchise, Lou had a roster that allowed him to play hardball and lose guys without missing too much of a beat. Team was successful and guys wanted to come here to win, the culture was great but it's a fact that the way Lou was riding the team, there was a cost to that. And we sure paid it fully.

It's literally systematic. If through decades, you blindly go for the all-in approach in every decisions you make. Not trying to re-sign UFAs until its too late and letting them walk, running your vets into the sunset, having terrible drafting results for decades but not doing anything about it cause it's not affecting your team that much anyway, patching holes with free agency and over the hill guys, having coach that were focusing on the vets all the time not working or giving real opportunities to younger guys. That was simply Lou's way. Love or hate it, agree with it or not that's what he did, there's no denying. And run that mentality through any simulator, you'll land with our 2015 roster 10 times out of 10. Old team not getting it done, no prospects and tons of talent in their prime walking away for nothing and not making any moves planning for the future. That's 100% how he ran the team. And all the fans who just loved winning now had no problem with it and defended that approach constantly. For years i said it was very dangerous for our future and it seemed like i was the only one calling that out and sure enough one day he literally had to be removed cause obviously he was never going to adjust and he already ran the team to the ground. I honestly never saw a roster as bad as our 2015 roster, completely pathetic. And that was a result of that mentality.

I said it many times, if you have millions in your bank account. You can "afford" to gamble your car just for fun or be a jerk with people. It won't affect you that much. But if you keep that going and that your bank account drops in the hundreds and that you now only have one car and making payments... you're fvcked if you don't adjust and plan for the future. And that's basically what happened here. 

So now that our franchise was at it's absolute rock bottom. No prospects, no real core players in our system, not many players with values to flip without creating more holes.... That was simply our reality. So the pendulum swung sooooooo far to one side that i knew it was going to take forever to recover from that and that we'd have to build from the draft. Well it's not that im rooting to tank or rebuilding, but it's the fastest and most realistic way. I don't like it. But i also didn't support a single second why we got in a situation to requirer that. And that's why i'm frustrated when i see the same fans who were defending that reckless win-now mentality that fvcked us over... now being impatient because we still suck and that it's taking too long to rebuild. Like there's such a disconnect there with reality. Us finishing in the middle of the pack and landing mid round talent for 3-4 years doesnt give us great odds at building a team that could one day compete for a cup. It's just keeping a team afloat and good enough to make the playoffs. I don't want that. I want a team that can win cups, so if i have to choose between a team taking a step back in order to REALLY reload and put all the chances on their sides to hit big and land the right players, with our reality that we starting from nothing in 2015 and that free agents dont usually want to come here. That's simply our best chance. And getting blinded by hopefull "once youre in you never know" is just not an approach i can live by.

We'll see it with other teams too. Colombus went all out few years ago. We can argue till were blue in the face if it was justify to go all-out and lose Bob and Panarin for absolutely nothing. Fact is... and many here say that what matters is results... well the results are in, they didn't win the cup, they lost those 2 guys in their absolute prime for nothing, and now they are a bottom of the league team about to lose Seth Jones too. Pittsburgh will also end up the same way if they decide to run their 3 main guys into the sunset.

Again, when we all thought the Rangers were about to start nosediving as we were potentially getting better. They were unfortunately smart enough to realize "alright, obviously we're not going to win a cup with this core... let's blow it up and build for the future" they got lucky with free agents and all that typical crap but they now have one of the best prospect pool in the league because of that decision on top of having players begging to play there. If they would have stuck with the middle of the pack approach, they'd be in worst shape now for the future.

Basically when your team and roster are in an ideal situation it's fine to gamble. We haven't been in a situation to do that in quite awhile. And any time we actually tried it didn't pan out.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

And yet another thread somehow ends up in 2015. 

At least when he goes down this road yet again, no one engages any more.  That’s a good thing, as threads are now only temporarily clogged.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tonight.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least when he goes down this road yet again, no one engages any more.  That’s a good thing, as threads are now only temporarily clogged.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tonight.  

Roads? Where we’re going we don’t need...roads. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

And yet another thread somehow ends up in 2015. 

It was 100% relevant to the subject of rebuilding and how to build / run a team that the discussion was about

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

The lottery isn’t rigged guys, holy cow. I said it out of furious spite last year when the rangers got it but it just isn’t. It’s filmed and aired. Computer generated 4-digit numbers are already listed, and fvcking bouncy ping pong balls shoot out of a tube. They publish the teams’ corresponding codes and they let us watch the footage of them being selected. There’s nothing they can do to “rig” it. 

If you wanna tell me the 2006 lottery was rigged to have the golden child land on a dying franchise, I’ll buy it. But not now, not with the technology we have and the transparency they show.

I'm pretty sure any thought that the lottery was rigged died when Connor McDavid ended up in Edmonton.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It was 100% relevant to the subject of rebuilding and how to build / run a team that the discussion was about

You nailed the relevancy part this time, my man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, aylbert said:

We absolutely nailed going with the rising Nico over #1 Patrick...
We absolutely nailed sticking with #1 Hughes over the rising Kakko...  (although I'm pretty sure it was never a question, just media talking point)

If we have the advantage of being the first to act, I'd rather that... than to rely on the first team choosing poorly.
 

Really, there's was overall consensus on Hughes by huge amount. We couldn't pick anyone else if we wanted to. Seriously. Not the case in this draft. Not in this draft. Nico was No.! consensus as well . we were going with him or Patrick sh>t rolls downhill. Sometimes, hyped rankings do you job for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure no one will see it this way but I don’t want to be the team that won the cup because they had not one, not two, but three first overall picks. The difference in the top 3 picks isn’t worth it anyway to have the notoriety of having 3 of these first overalls. Difference between Owen Power or Luke Hughes is negligible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m pretty sure no one will see it this way but I don’t want to be the team that won the cup because they had not one, not two, but three first overall picks. The difference in the top 3 picks isn’t worth it anyway to have the notoriety of having 3 of these first overalls. Difference between Owen Power or Luke Hughes is negligible.

Definitely not. I want to be the team that wins the Cup. I am fine if its because we had three 1 OAs, or because we overpaid some superstars, or because we did of anything short of violating the rules or compromising our integrity. 

If we get the 2 OA and we win the cup with two 1 OAs and one 2 OA, you're cool with that?

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely not. I want to be the team that wins the Cup. I am fine if its because we had three 1 OAs, or because we overpaid some superstars, or because we did of anything short of violating the rules or compromising our integrity. 

If we get the 2 OA and we win the cup with two 1 OAs and one 2 OA, you're cool with that?

Yeah much cooler with that scenario. It’s just the notoriety that fans around the league will think we won just because we hit on some lottery balls numerous times. May not make sense and shouldn’t care about anything else but winning the cup but just my preference.

If this class had a generational talent I wouldn’t say the same thing. That’d be too good to pass up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yeah much cooler with that scenario. It’s just the notoriety that fans around the league will think we won just because we hit on some lottery balls numerous times. May not make sense and shouldn’t care about anything else but winning the cup but just my preference.

If this class had a generational talent I wouldn’t say the same thing. That’d be too good to pass up. 

At this point, I wouldn't care how we got there.

Not gonna lie though, when Pittsburgh started winning with Crosby and Malkin, I definitely thought "Well yeah, must be nice to have two #1s and two #2s to work with!"  And one of the #2s (Malkin) easily could've gone #1 in many other seasons.  It was also having those picks that made it easy (at the time) to dismiss Shero and how much he really had to do with the Pens winning.  Even though the Devils didn't thrive under him, I still think that he acquitted himself somewhat during his time here, as far he GM abilities went...still think that he made some nice and creative moves despite having little to work with...not that he was perfect or never made mistakes, but if he's interested, I could see another team giving him a shot.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yeah much cooler with that scenario. It’s just the notoriety that fans around the league will think we won just because we hit on some lottery balls numerous times. May not make sense and shouldn’t care about anything else but winning the cup but just my preference.

If this class had a generational talent I wouldn’t say the same thing. That’d be too good to pass up. 

Ok. That’s really weird but I’m not going to claim that I don’t believe anything weird, I think 50 Cent is a robot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not gonna lie though, when Pittsburgh started winning with Crosby and Malkin, I definitely thought "Well yeah, must be nice to have two #1s and two #2s to work with!"  

Soemone wrote a song about it, wanna hear it? Here it goes...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Really, there's was overall consensus on Hughes by huge amount. We couldn't pick anyone else if we wanted to. Seriously. Not the case in this draft. Not in this draft. Nico was No.! consensus as well . we were going with him or Patrick sh>t rolls downhill. Sometimes, hyped rankings do you job for you.

Hischier was definitely not consensus #1. They even split the scream showing both players in some sort of suspenseful moment as to who it would be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Hischier was definitely not consensus #1. They even split the scream showing both players in some sort of suspenseful moment as to who it would be. 

To think I wanted Patrick. (what was i thinking?)  Thank God they picked Nico. and I'll bet Nolan Patrick is not a Flyer next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

To think I wanted Patrick. (what was i thinking?)  Thank God they picked Nico. and I'll bet Nolan Patrick is not a Flyer next year.

Yeah for me it's when some scout compared Nico to Zetterberg and Patrick to Eric Staal. I prefer Zetterberg's style as he's more shifty and creative while Staal is more like straight to the point and get it done.

In hindsight, turns out i feel Nico is kind of more a Eric Staal and i don't see that much Zetterberg in him lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Yeah much cooler with that scenario. It’s just the notoriety that fans around the league will think we won just because we hit on some lottery balls numerous times. May not make sense and shouldn’t care about anything else but winning the cup but just my preference.

If this class had a generational talent I wouldn’t say the same thing. That’d be too good to pass up. 

Other teams fans would find something else to complain about then, the real key is to not give a sh!t what anyone else thinks. Give me all the Stanley Cups, I don't care how we win them. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Other teams fans would find something else to complain about then, the real key is to not give a sh!t what anyone else thinks. Give me all the Stanley Cups, I don't care how we win them. 

This. I didn’t care about people claiming the Devils were boring when they were using the trap, and I wouldn’t care about people crying about #1 picks. fvck em. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This. I didn’t care about people claiming the Devils were boring when they were using the trap, and I wouldn’t care about people crying about #1 picks. fvck em. 

Yup, agree. It’s exactly the same as how we bitch about other teams. Do you think a Rangers fan says “I don’t want to win a Cup because we attracted all of the best free agents”?

I assure you, they do not. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.