1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

• Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Other

15 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

We're making this big stink about which D man Devils will take at 4.  They're taking a forward. Thank you!😀

My hope is that we’ll take the BPA, whoever Fitz and the scouts feel that is, regardless of position. 

Found this on a Red Wings news site:

”Might the Devils, with the fourth pick, unite brothers Jack and Luke?

“I’ve been to the rink; I know the franchise pretty well,” Luke said. “Jack loves it in New Jersey. Really cool rink, really cool fanbase.

“It would be unbelievable to go to the Devils. My brother clearly wants me to be there. It would be super-cool to play with him. At the same time, there’s 32 great teams and I’d be happy to go to any one of those teams.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/redwings/2021/07/red-wings-could-have-shot-at-another-hughes-brother-d-man-luke.html%3foutputType=amp

Gotta draft Luke, I’m sorry. At the very least we’ll know someone on the team will be ready and able to take a pass from Jack.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I just don’t see a case for taking him over Hughes at all

This is scouching. He ranked Sanderson 10th or worser year ago. And look at him.

I can’t say Clarke is a great skater. But he is good skater. Just spend time and watch his shift by shift video. And let’s go and watchin Luke shift by shift video. I don’t ask to watch full games.

But I did watching games of Clarke.. Clarke is far… far better defenseman. He makes great impact in offensive zone. And he is pretty good in center and in defensive zone.
Hughes is absolutely great skater,and I really love good skating. But that’s all. He played in much worser competition league and can’t defense. He don’t understand how to move his body when breakaways are goin on. He isn’t good board fighter. And I can’t say he is good in playmaking. He is pretty good skater and puckhandler, but I didn’t see any good sharp pass from him. 
Edvinsson is good skater as Hughes. He is good puckhandler enough, but he is pretty good enough defenseman and shows it on different level. and his lack of offensive is overrated, because he was best u18 defenseman this year in Allsvenskan. Year ago he was top1-2 defenseman on the junior level. He has real potential to be a better defenseman of this top-4. 
Hughes was never top-5 pick if he was Luke Smith or Luke White. He has enough of red flags and he will be pretty good offensive defenseman, but we have one on the left side, and if we remember all of finalists in the last five years - there were no team with two or three puckmoving defenseman with no good defensive ability.

Edited by Guadana

59 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

My hope is that we’ll take the BPA, whoever Fitz and the scouts feel that is, regardless of position. 

Agreed. 

In 2016 we all felt we needed a forward and it seemed like management agreed.  This is the one time I felt like we really got caught because we had tunnel vision on the forwards.  My recollection is that there was generally considered to be a talent drop after the top 11 but all the forwards were taken and Chychrun was the one who fell to us.  How much better would the back end look if we had just taken Chychrun instead of settling for the next best forward on our scouts list?   It only took a week for things to completely change after we sent Larsson to Edmonton 1 for 1      

• Like 1

The guys at the top of this draft are all so close it would be really hard to determine BPA. Even for #1OA (I’m seeing more talk of that being Beniers now). You almost have to factor in need when it’s that tight. 

55 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Hughes was never top-5 pick if he was Luke Smith or Luke White.

You watch a lot more of these guys than most of us, so I always value your opinion, but I disagree with this part. Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You watch a lot more of these guys than most of us, so I always value your opinion, but I disagree with this part. Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless. 

skating is just one part of the game though. 

37 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well no sh!t. 

Well i just don't understand your comment? lol

You literally said, "Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless." That's sort of suggesting that if you can skate really well, that alone s hould get you at the top of the draft selection?

I mean, literally ALL his scouting reports starts by mentioning his brothers. So to say that's not boosting his perception is just not true

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i just don't understand your comment? lol

You literally said, "Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless." That's sort of suggesting that if you can skate really well, that alone s hould get you at the top of the draft selection?

I mean, literally ALL his scouting reports starts by mentioning his brothers. So to say that's not boosting his perception is just not true

And of course, among our fans, his familial relationship is paramount in why we should choose him. 

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If Scoutching says Luke is better then we should take him.  Case closed.  End of Story.  Period.  /s

Scoutching actually said we really shouldn't draft Luke. Or at least said it when he did his mock draft a few weeks ago. He said he was a really risky pick

He had us taking Eklund actually

1140658219_ScreenShot2021-07-09at1_16_53PM.thumb.png.56a9bed91dc76d3548a05695d3cb5099.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I just can’t wait until it’s over and we can go from debating which guy we should take to complaining about which guy we took. 

I have a bad feeling that it will be like last year where i had a few guys i wanted. A few were available to us and literally the last guy i wanted on my list ended up being our pick. I kind of feel this year might be the same where i have to kind of make an effort to love the pick and would have prefered someone else. But wtv, our scouts know a lot more than I do.

Well at least when it comes to hockey prospects. I know more about Jean-Claude Van Damme than all of them combined.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This is just a part of the game. Fvck on my vision. Dont trust me, I`m ok with it. Everybody has their own narrative(Scouching said toronto must find PP puckmover). D

Lets watch their game by your own eyes ant tell me what you think. This is much more important for me and for any guy on this board. Everybody can read other words or watch other reviews and re-tell other opinion. I want to tell with you about your own impression.

There three games of Luke Hughes. Full shift by shift videos.

Three  shift by shift videos of Clarke.
Videos are short enough, this is not full games where you must try to find where is our potential prospect is. 

I didnt see any more games of Hughes, I did see Clarke on WJC and a couple of games in Slovakia.
And after you watchin it, tell me, is Clarke so bad skater? How Hughes and Clarke work in offensive zone, how good they are in passing and zone driving, how good defensively they are etc. 
I dont think Hughes is far more better skater to pick him over Clarke or Edvinsson, especially if we compare their bad and strong sides. 

Edited by Guadana

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I have a bad feeling that it will be like last year where i had a few guys i wanted. A few were available to us and literally the last guy i wanted on my list ended up being our pick. I kind of feel this year might be the same where i have to kind of make an effort to love the pick and would have prefered someone else. But wtv, our scouts know a lot more than I do.

Well at least when it comes to hockey prospects. I know more about Jean-Claude Van Damme than all of them combined.

We should definitely draft JCV if he is available. Imagine those splits in goal?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We should definitely draft JCV if he is available. Imagine those splits in goal?

When i was a goalie at a very young age when some guys couldn't even shoot a puck up, i'd always do the split and that'd be the end of it for them lol 

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Man, dont worry, cmon. I wasnt a fan of Holtz pick too. I was very possessed by Sanderson, and now he is lookin even better, and I want Quinn. I was watchin a couple of Quinn wjc games and he was so so. Holtz was raw, but he create enough dangerous ssituations. He was pretty good in first half of the SHL season. Remarkably good. But he didn`t play on WJC with good center. And after covid break he did play in third line without good center and can`t produce. He was pretty interesting player in AHL, but -  again. He played with Clarke and Thompson as center. And it didnt works because both were not good center for AHL, Clarke didnt play center role generally. 
Devils have a couple of good centers and Holtz has pretty good chances to be great player. He is a dependent player, he will not be a good forechecker, he will not be able to close the ice, but he is a player who can perform his role very well. Because he has enough tools for this.

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Man, dont worry, cmon. I wasnt a fan of Holtz pick too. I was very possessed by Sanderson, and now he is lookin even better, and I want Quinn. I was watchin a couple of Quinn wjc games and he was so so. Holtz was raw, but he create enough dangerous ssituations. He was pretty good in first half of the SHL season. Remarkably good. But he didn`t play on WJC with good center. And after covid break he did play in third line without good center and can`t produce. He was pretty interesting player in AHL, but -  again. He played with Clarke and Thompson as center. And it didnt works because both were not good center for AHL, Clarke didnt play center role generally. 
Devils have a couple of good centers and Holtz has pretty good chances to be great player. He is a dependent player, he will not be a good forechecker, he will not be able to close the ice, but he is a player who can perform his role very well. Because he has enough tools for this.

Well the center excuse is not landing with me at the WJC cause he got himself in position to score the whole tournament, he actually led the tournament in shots too and had lots of room to take his shots. So it's not like nobody could get him the puck in good position or anything. He 100% got that. He just constantly missed the net or shot directly on the goalie. Not what i wanted to see from a guy said to be a sniper. Plus other guys on his team would step in on the PP after his shift and score on their first shot from the same exact position, so it's 100% on him and not on anyone else if he kept missing the net

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Scoutching actually said we really shouldn't draft Luke. Or at least said it when he did his mock draft a few weeks ago. He said he was a really risky pick

He had us taking Eklund actually

1140658219_ScreenShot2021-07-09at1_16_53PM.thumb.png.56a9bed91dc76d3548a05695d3cb5099.png

Frankly, I wouldn't be upset with any of Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Edvinsson, Power, Berniers.  I just find it funny when people put a lot of stock on some wiener on Youtube's opinion (and for the record, I consider myself some wiener on a Devils forum).

My issue is I don't want the Devils to draft Luke solely because of Jack.  The difference in talent between Clarke and Hughes is small IMO, but I don't want the Devils to put one over the other simply because of the family connection.  If Clarke is the one they believe is slightly better than Luke then they should take him.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly, I wouldn't be upset with any of Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Edvinsson, Power, Berniers.  I just find it funny when people put a lot of stock on some wiener on Youtube's opinion (and for the record, I consider myself some wiener on a Devils forum).

My issue is I don't want the Devils to draft Luke solely because of Jack.  The difference in talent between Clarke and Hughes is small IMO, but I don't want the Devils to put one over the other simply because of the family connection.  If Clarke is the one they believe is slightly better than Luke then they should take him.

Also based on the fact that we're paper thin on the right side i'd pick Clarke too

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the center excuse is not landing with me at the WJC cause he got himself in position to score the whole tournament, he actually led the tournament in shots too and had lots of room to take his shots. So it's not like nobody could get him the puck in good position or anything. He 100% got that. He just constantly missed the net or shot directly on the goalie. Not what i wanted to see from a guy said to be a sniper. Plus other guys on his team would step in on the PP after his shift and score on their first shot from the same exact position, so it's 100% on him and not on anyone else if he kept missing the net

This is not how hockey work. Dangerous shot isnt only position. You should manage it for your wingers. If Holtz is a only danger on the ice - he will always protect or be on safe position to make a save.  And he made enough of good shots. And was the best player on the ice in the best and most meaning game  with Russia.