1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

• Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Other

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You're probably right. Not unless he pushes the issue and wants to leave or they get an insane overpayment.

Additionally, we should not be paying the price it would take to get him in a trade. 

• Like 1

I am still under the belief that if Luke's last name was anything other than Hughes then either Eklund, Clarke or Edvinsson would be a Devil.  Still you can't be upset at the selection because Luke is still a top prospect and went around where he should have (4-8 range).  However, the pick is a little strange in that Hughes likely won't be helpful for at least 3-4 years while Fitz says he wants to compete now.  With that in mind the selection has an air of making it to keep Jack happy.

The other 1st round pick is a disaster.  They chose a guy who likely would have been there with their 2nd and probably 3rd round pick.  There has been reports that Fitz was somewhat close with his father, Cory Stillman, so there may be some nepotism/favoritism involved there.  If that is the case then I am def concerned with Tom's drafting strategy.  He has essentially turned Coleman into Nolan Foote and a 2/3rd rounder (Muk) and Zajac/Palmieri into AJ Greer, a minor leaguer, and another 2nd/3rd rounder.  Ouch.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am still under the belief that if Luke's last name was anything other than Hughes then either Eklund, Clarke or Edvinsson would be a Devil.  Still you can't be upset at the selection because Luke is still a top prospect and went around where he should have (4-8 range).  However, the pick is a little strange in that Hughes likely won't be helpful for at least 3-4 years while Fitz says he wants to compete now.  With that in mind the selection has an air of making it to keep Jack happy.

The other 1st round pick is a disaster.  They chose a guy who likely would have been there with their 2nd and probably 3rd round pick.  There has been reports that Fitz was somewhat close with his father, Cory Stillman, so there may be some nepotism/favoritism involved there.  If that is the case then I am def concerned with Tom's drafting strategy.  He has essentially turned Coleman into Nolan Foote and a 2/3rd rounder (Muk) and Zajac/Palmieri into AJ Greer, a minor leaguer, and another 2nd/3rd rounder.  Ouch.

I was bummed on the Stillman pick until I read more about him. I don't have such harsh feelings now. Def a reach but now I am not sure if it was anymore a reach than drafting Raty would have been in that spot...and Raty fell much much more.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I was bummed on the Stillman pick until I read more about him. Def a reach but now I am not sure if it was anymore a reach than drafting Raty would have been in that spot...and Raty fell much much more.

I was more hoping Fitz would trade that pick than actually use it.  The asking price for Jake Bean was a 2nd rounder and a 29th overall is borderline 2nd round pick anyways.  I would rather see that than Stillman who seems more like a Bastian replacement more than anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was more hoping Fitz would trade that pick than actually use it.  The asking price for Jake Bean was a 2nd rounder and a 29th overall is borderline 2nd round pick anyways.  I would rather see that than Stillman who seems more like a Bastian replacement more than anything.

I wouldnt mind Jake Bean but now that we picked Luke. Here's our LHD depth... Smith, Graves, Murray?, Hughes, Siegenthaler, Butcher, Bahl, Yukojevic, Okhotyuk, white and Groleau. We only need 3-4 and im all for internal competition but we kind of already potentially have 3-4 (smith, graves, hughes and bahl) that should be locks for years. with all the other ones trying to push for a job.

Of course Bean could have developped nicely and take a spot and force us to trade him or someone else for something else but at the end of the day i understand going for Stillman. I would have prefered Panili or wtv his name, the canadian RW but wtv, what do i know,, apparently he's a bit soft and we dont need more of that

You sure you don't want a RW considering our RW depth is Sharangovich, Bratt, Mercer, Clarke, Zetterlund, Thompson....

Edited by SterioDesign

From watching the playoffs this year. One thing that Tampa and MTL did extremely well was their quick transition from the D to a forward at the blueline for a breakaway or 2-0 (hell this was basically 85% of all MTL's goals).

I can enjoy seeing a dude skate the puck up like everyone but in our system it results of skating all the way to the red line just to make a back pass. fvck was it ever driving me insane last season.

And this is really the best way to survive a game that you're not playing well or winning against a better team. Stuck in your zone for a whole period. Then BOOM the other team make one mistake or there's a broken play then BOOM you got a streaking forward on a breakaway. But you need good puck movers for that

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Funny interview.

pretty insane to watch this knowing what we know now.

jack scored his first nhl goal playing against quinn and luke was drafted by nj. so the chances of luke scoring his first goal in front of jack are pretty good lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

pretty insane to watch this knowing what we know now.

jack scored his first nhl goal playing against quinn and luke was drafted by nj. so the chances of luke scoring his first goal in front of jack are pretty good lol

How awesome would it be if Luke also scored his first NHL goal against Vancouver, with both his brothers there? That would be as storybook as it gets lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

How awesome would it be if Luke also scored his first NHL goal against Vancouver, with both his brothers there? That would be as storybook as it gets lol

Yeah i thought about that but that's a bit of a stretch haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If I was a worse person I'd troll some of those old comments by Vancouver fans saying Jack would end up there and then they'd have 2/3 brothers. 

• Like 1

Good. I like it. No need to rush him. We have pretty great LD depth of more ready young players.
Watchin him on WJSS. Cant say I like his defensive game against peers. I cant even name it "defense". 2 years in Michigan will help him to fix it. I hope.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I just realized I never voted. I picked Luke. 

I was right. 

Video cuts  from WJSS games. 

I dont call him bust, but he isnt close to be competent defenseman. And I dont think it is a bad picked. But this pick isn`t close to be the right pick for now. I really hope Michigan coaches will help him in defensive game. In all abundance of defensive game. I really hope devils will give him 2, even 3 years for develope. Maybe  2 years in NCAA and one year in AHL. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Sad 1