Jump to content

Who do you want at #4OA? *It's Luke! *


Nicomo
 Share

Who do you want at #4?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

    • Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
      0
    • Other
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You watch a lot more of these guys than most of us, so I always value your opinion, but I disagree with this part. Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless. 

This is just a part of the game. Fvck on my vision. Dont trust me, I`m ok with it. Everybody has their own narrative(Scouching said toronto must find PP puckmover). D

Lets watch their game by your own eyes ant tell me what you think. This is much more important for me and for any guy on this board. Everybody can read other words or watch other reviews and re-tell other opinion. I want to tell with you about your own impression.

There three games of Luke Hughes. Full shift by shift videos.
 

Three  shift by shift videos of Clarke.
Videos are short enough, this is not full games where you must try to find where is our potential prospect is. 

I didnt see any more games of Hughes, I did see Clarke on WJC and a couple of games in Slovakia.
And after you watchin it, tell me, is Clarke so bad skater? How Hughes and Clarke work in offensive zone, how good they are in passing and zone driving, how good defensively they are etc. 
I dont think Hughes is far more better skater to pick him over Clarke or Edvinsson, especially if we compare their bad and strong sides. 

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I have a bad feeling that it will be like last year where i had a few guys i wanted. A few were available to us and literally the last guy i wanted on my list ended up being our pick. I kind of feel this year might be the same where i have to kind of make an effort to love the pick and would have prefered someone else. But wtv, our scouts know a lot more than I do.

Well at least when it comes to hockey prospects. I know more about Jean-Claude Van Damme than all of them combined.

We should definitely draft JCV if he is available. Imagine those splits in goal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We should definitely draft JCV if he is available. Imagine those splits in goal?

When i was a goalie at a very young age when some guys couldn't even shoot a puck up, i'd always do the split and that'd be the end of it for them lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I have a bad feeling that it will be like last year where i had a few guys i wanted. A few were available to us and literally the last guy i wanted on my list ended up being our pick. I kind of feel this year might be the same where i have to kind of make an effort to love the pick and would have prefered someone else. But wtv, our scouts know a lot more than I do.

Well at least when it comes to hockey prospects. I know more about Jean-Claude Van Damme than all of them combined.

Man, dont worry, cmon. I wasnt a fan of Holtz pick too. I was very possessed by Sanderson, and now he is lookin even better, and I want Quinn. I was watchin a couple of Quinn wjc games and he was so so. Holtz was raw, but he create enough dangerous ssituations. He was pretty good in first half of the SHL season. Remarkably good. But he didn`t play on WJC with good center. And after covid break he did play in third line without good center and can`t produce. He was pretty interesting player in AHL, but -  again. He played with Clarke and Thompson as center. And it didnt works because both were not good center for AHL, Clarke didnt play center role generally. 
Devils have a couple of good centers and Holtz has pretty good chances to be great player. He is a dependent player, he will not be a good forechecker, he will not be able to close the ice, but he is a player who can perform his role very well. Because he has enough tools for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Man, dont worry, cmon. I wasnt a fan of Holtz pick too. I was very possessed by Sanderson, and now he is lookin even better, and I want Quinn. I was watchin a couple of Quinn wjc games and he was so so. Holtz was raw, but he create enough dangerous ssituations. He was pretty good in first half of the SHL season. Remarkably good. But he didn`t play on WJC with good center. And after covid break he did play in third line without good center and can`t produce. He was pretty interesting player in AHL, but -  again. He played with Clarke and Thompson as center. And it didnt works because both were not good center for AHL, Clarke didnt play center role generally. 
Devils have a couple of good centers and Holtz has pretty good chances to be great player. He is a dependent player, he will not be a good forechecker, he will not be able to close the ice, but he is a player who can perform his role very well. Because he has enough tools for this.

Well the center excuse is not landing with me at the WJC cause he got himself in position to score the whole tournament, he actually led the tournament in shots too and had lots of room to take his shots. So it's not like nobody could get him the puck in good position or anything. He 100% got that. He just constantly missed the net or shot directly on the goalie. Not what i wanted to see from a guy said to be a sniper. Plus other guys on his team would step in on the PP after his shift and score on their first shot from the same exact position, so it's 100% on him and not on anyone else if he kept missing the net

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Scoutching actually said we really shouldn't draft Luke. Or at least said it when he did his mock draft a few weeks ago. He said he was a really risky pick

He had us taking Eklund actually

1140658219_ScreenShot2021-07-09at1_16_53PM.thumb.png.56a9bed91dc76d3548a05695d3cb5099.png

 

Frankly, I wouldn't be upset with any of Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Edvinsson, Power, Berniers.  I just find it funny when people put a lot of stock on some wiener on Youtube's opinion (and for the record, I consider myself some wiener on a Devils forum).

My issue is I don't want the Devils to draft Luke solely because of Jack.  The difference in talent between Clarke and Hughes is small IMO, but I don't want the Devils to put one over the other simply because of the family connection.  If Clarke is the one they believe is slightly better than Luke then they should take him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly, I wouldn't be upset with any of Clarke, Hughes, Eklund, Edvinsson, Power, Berniers.  I just find it funny when people put a lot of stock on some wiener on Youtube's opinion (and for the record, I consider myself some wiener on a Devils forum).

My issue is I don't want the Devils to draft Luke solely because of Jack.  The difference in talent between Clarke and Hughes is small IMO, but I don't want the Devils to put one over the other simply because of the family connection.  If Clarke is the one they believe is slightly better than Luke then they should take him.

Also based on the fact that we're paper thin on the right side i'd pick Clarke too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the center excuse is not landing with me at the WJC cause he got himself in position to score the whole tournament, he actually led the tournament in shots too and had lots of room to take his shots. So it's not like nobody could get him the puck in good position or anything. He 100% got that. He just constantly missed the net or shot directly on the goalie. Not what i wanted to see from a guy said to be a sniper. Plus other guys on his team would step in on the PP after his shift and score on their first shot from the same exact position, so it's 100% on him and not on anyone else if he kept missing the net

This is not how hockey work. Dangerous shot isnt only position. You should manage it for your wingers. If Holtz is a only danger on the ice - he will always protect or be on safe position to make a save.  And he made enough of good shots. And was the best player on the ice in the best and most meaning game  with Russia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

This is not how hockey work. Dangerous shot isnt only position. You should manage it for your wingers. If Holtz is a only danger on the ice - he will always protect or be on safe position to make a save.  And he made enough of good shots. And was the best player on the ice in the best and most meaning game  with Russia. 

Did you skipped over the part where i pointed out him missing the net or shooting directly in the goalie's chest? That's also not how hockey work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Did you skipped over the part where i pointed out him missing the net or shooting directly in the goalie's chest? That's also not how hockey work.

He manage a lot of shots. A lot. Some were in the chest of goalie. Some were missing. And he manage it without good center. Like any potential scoring winger he must manage a lot shouts and find opportunities for it and score about 12-18%. Dont forget about his  Covid break before WJC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Guadana said:

He manage a lot of shots. A lot. Some were in the chest of goalie. Some were missing. And he manage it without good center. Like any potential scoring winger he must manage a lot shouts and find opportunities for it and score about 12-18%. Dont forget about his  Covid break before WJC. 

Yeah but he's supposed to be a sniper. Which means a player that when in good position can put it in more often than not.

What he was and what you're describing is not a sniper. It's machine gun. You shoot a ton in the general direction of the target not very precisely expecting at least a few shots to hit target

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know... as a Devils fan im kind of personally done with guys "coming close to score but not scoring" or "doing everything right but scoring" or shooting directly in the chest of goalies. So basically Zajac. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't know... as a Devils fan im kind of personally done with guys "coming close to score but not scoring" or "doing everything right but scoring" or shooting directly in the chest of goalies. So basically Zacha

Fixed. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't know... as a Devils fan im kind of personally done with guys "coming close to score but not scoring" or "doing everything right but scoring" or shooting directly in the chest of goalies. So basically Zajac. 

I’m well past done with that sh!t. Holtz better be something resembling Pavel Bure or he can fvck off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m well past done with that sh!t. Holtz better be something resembling Pavel Bure or he can fvck off. 

Me thinks you and I both are going to be disappointed here with Holtz if we don't taper back our expectations a bit.

Not attacking you, I'm with you but I just don't think he seems like much of a play driver kinda guy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Me thinks you and I both are going to be disappointed here with Holtz if we don't taper back our expectations a bit.

Not attacking you, I'm with you but I just don't think he seems like much of a play driver kinda guy.  

I was alluding more to Bure’s ability to snipe, not so much play driving necessarily. I just want Holtz to be able to shoot the puck. I’m tired of no one on this team being able to snipe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was alluding more to Bure’s ability to snipe, not so much play driving necessarily. I just want Holtz to be able to shoot the puck. I’m tired of no one on this team being able to snipe. 

Throw beaucoup bucks at Ovechkin.

Just kidding. There's no way he would come here. He would never reach 895 on the Devils

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Throw beaucoup bucks at Ovechkin.

Just kidding. There's no way he would come here. He would never reach 895 on the Devils

Even if he was at 875. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i just don't understand your comment? lol

You literally said, "Kids that skate like he does (especially with some size at 6’2), don’t really need to rely on name recognition. Luke would be a top pick regardless." That's sort of suggesting that if you can skate really well, that alone s hould get you at the top of the draft selection?

I mean, literally ALL his scouting reports starts by mentioning his brothers. So to say that's not boosting his perception is just not true

Not sure what’s hard to understand. It’s his best aspect of his game, but ofc it’s not the only thing he does well. Or he wouldn’t be a consensus top 10 pick. A name might get the scouts watching out for you, but it’s not getting you drafted that high. Still need to actually be…you know…really good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

 

 

 

Obviously scoring isn’t everything when you are a defenseman, but that’s intriguing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.