• William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Other

31 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

McKenzie's final rankings:

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-pulls-away-from-crowded-nhl-draft-field-1.1669730

image.png.0cbf259caaf13643d65932c76fb8f774.png

Clarke and L. Hughes dropped all the way to 7/8, wow.  Just one person's ranking here but I think the Bobfather generally knows his stuff and does his due diligence. 

Almost makes Luke @ 4 seem like a reach doesn't it?

I've been pretty high on Eklund and Hughes and have had them pretty much tied(in my uneducated opinion). That is why I want NJ to take BPA and not base it on "we need a defenseman". There seems to be uncertainty around parts of the games of all the highly sought Dmen in this draft. The thing with Hughes is that he is the youngest and is thought to have the most room to improve.

I'm sure @Guadanawill have a great take on this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Clarke and L. Hughes dropped all the way to 7/8, wow.  Just one person's ranking here but I think the Bobfather generally knows his stuff and does his due diligence. 

What can I say? Anaheim loves to draft big moving defensemen. And what I think about Edvinsson? i did giant review about him and I think He has the highest ceiling from defensemen who can be available for us. But I`m biased. I like big stron good skating players who can defend. May be it`s not the best puck for defenseman and they need to be Quinn Hughes type players, but I dont think so. And as i said before he has potential to be good producer as a line driver because of his skating, puckmoving and puck protectin.

I like Bob`s list this year because it`s very close to what I think. Only I have Clarke higher because his IQ and smart using partners. I still think that I will be ok if we draft him. 

I dont like idea to draft forwards because they have thier own red flags. Enough of them. Eklund is small, not the best shot, I see he can be 50-60 point per season player easily. It sound like ok, but Zacha is 50 point per season player. Is he was ok last year? I think so. Is he was ok to picked at 6OA. Still not. And if we talk about player Zacha I don`t think we must to remember everytime about 6 pick, but when we talk about draft, we must to remember things like that. I don`t want to draft player who has less tools than Sharangovich 4OA. Anyway he has tools and flair to produce 70+ points and I think this is not his maximum ceiling if he can play with Hischier\Hughes and Holtz.

Mctavish is very interesting player. I really like him and idea what he can be. I think after Maltsev trade devils svck in 3rd line perspective.  Maltsev was big, mobile, great one on one player who make his line better, good forechecker with real potential to be 25-35 points player. Some kind of Zubrus with lesser passing abuility, but better skating. After Maltsev`s leaving I don`t see how devils will built strong 3rd line that will be hard to play against. I dont think Boqvist will be hard player to play against, may be he can be a player to produce 35+ points and some strong wingers like Foote will help him to forechek and phisical pressure, but I dont know for now. And we don`t have strong RW in the system to produce 30-35+ points and make physical work. If Mercer will and as 3rd line player I will dissapoint. Before I was thinkin that our future 3rd line will looks like Foote-Maltsev-Thompson\Clarke(guys for creative and scoring) but this isn`t a concept anymore. 
Mctavish can help to build great third line, but I dont think we can draft a player with real 3rd line player potential when we have option for our top-4, where we have only Smith for more than 2 years perspective. Graves and Severson? We don`t know. They can leave us easily after two years. If they dont, our defensive core is still not ready. No where close.

I don`t like idea to draft Guenther. He was a humble child when he play against Edvinsson in games where Canada dominatedб like any other u-18 player against Edvinsson. Guenther has no geat passing abuility, his paasing vision is good, but not great. he isnt very fast and I didnt see great 200-foot game from him. That`s great he can produce on the junior level, but it`s a junior level. I think he hasn`t enough tools to be allaround offensive threat  like Eklund can be. Anyway if he will produce 60 points and score 30 goals I see how a player with his talents can do that.

Anyway we must to draft defenseman. I dont know who is better? 35+ points defenseman who can be great in defensive zone? 45-50+ points defenseman who is avarage in defensieve zone? or winger who can produve 50-75+ points?  For a team with two centers, bunch of wingers and nothing in defense? Defensemen. We will not build a winning team without defenseman.The Devils have already lost the moment to recruit good defenders. It's too late to do this now. It will be pointless to do this tomorrow. The defensemen that we will recruit in the next draft may not find Hishier in the squad. In fact, starting next year, the Devils should start looking for a center for the third link with the prospect of becoming the second center. At the same time, the Devils have no defensemen at all in the roster except for Smith with a clear prospect of being in control of the team. Bahl, Okhotyuk, Vukojevich and Mukhamadullin may become defenders of the foundation, but they may not become. Only Bahl played in the NHL, while not showing a sufficient level of play to be confident in him.
Until the Devils have a built-up high-quality defense, the team will continue to lose. It doesn't matter how many talented forwards there will be in the team. Defense is more important than offense. So it was, so it is now and so it will be. 

There are no such talented forwards in our team as Mcdevid and Drysdale, but their structuring continues indefinitely. It is necessary to draw conclusions from successful examples - such as the Islanders, Tampa, Vegas, and unsuccessful ones, such as Toronto and Edmonton.

It's a pity that this is just a bunch of words in the void, and I will not decide, and no one from this forum

I`m not against to draft Eklund. I just hope we will draft Clarke as the smartest player on this draft(and defenseman) or Edvinsson as the safiest defenseman who can grow in two-way defensive beast.

Do you like Seider 6OA? I like. I would draft him 2nd. Sanderson as 5OA? He deserved to be picked 4oa as minimum. So far, Detroit and Ottawa have no regrets at all, having made a choice in favor of these hockey players. So did Anaheim, which selected Lindholm sixth. Is Edvinsson BPA for 4OA? Or Clarke? Yes, they are.

And no matter what we do in this draft, the Devils need to actively work in the market to find really good defenders, because this team will not start winning and developing well without a good defense. And victory will not happen in one day. Colorado was rebuilt for 9 years. And while they continue to lose in the playoffs. Tampa spent 5+ years building a winning team, having a great roster. Because the experience of defeats in important games is also an important part of development. I will be disappointed if Fitz does not plan to significantly strengthen the squad.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3

@Guadana, you have clearly watched more of Edvinsson than I have. From my viewings, I liked him but was not totally blown away. But I will admit that I haven't watched an entire shift-by-shift video on him. I really like his potential and I think he's got excellent tools, but I think he's pretty far off from Clarke's hockey IQ and offensive upside. Do you think he is on the level of someone like Seider or Sanderson? Those guys would be slam dunks at this pick. 

In any case, it's looking more likely that Clarke will be available when the Devils pick anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not to be nit picky but the article says it isn't one person's rankings. It's an aggregate of 10 NHL scouts' rankings.

So for example, some have Luke in their top 5 and someone or someones had him at 9.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nessus said:

@Guadana, you have clearly watched more of Edvinsson than I have. From my viewings, I liked him but was not totally blown away. But I will admit that I haven't watched an entire shift-by-shift video on him. I really like his potential and I think he's got excellent tools, but I think he's pretty far off from Clarke's hockey IQ and offensive upside. Do you think he is on the level of someone like Seider or Sanderson? Those guys would be slam dunks at this pick. 

In any case, it's looking more likely that Clarke will be available when the Devils pick anyway.

From what I saw, Clarke is far far smarter than any player on this draft, but I didn’t watch many.

I didn’t watch Edvinsson in junior league. He played simple game in Allsvenskan and SHL, he did a lot of mistakes in passing under pressure, and he didn’t try to conduct offense. But I see pretty good line driving from him and I  think he did show enough to compare him with Hughes. And I did watch some of his u-18 games where he looks much better and more competent than other players. I have no confidence that he will be able to become a real playmaker, give pass to a partner, quickly adjust, take the puck and give a pass to the free zone for the shot. He will rather drag the puck, protecting it with his body, and give the short pass. He's a good puckhandler, but I didn't see any cross-assists from him. He can disperse offense, skates inside the zone, and most importantly-pick up the puck at the board, keep the puck on the blue line. His game really reminds me of Seider's game, and Seider didn't score much more points playing in Germany. Sanderson was scolded for his contribution to the offens, but this year he proved that his skills are enough to achieve results. The more I watch Edvinsson's games, the more I see signs of great talent, sometimes he also shows himself as a very promising two-way defender. And I think that he needs to significantly improve his pass game. But this is essentially pumping what he can do. Can do with a lot of mistakes) He does not need to learn to start faster, learn to stand on skates in a board fight as Clark needs to do. I'm not talking about what a titanic job awaits Hughes.

I still afraid to compare Edvinsson with big names, but he looks solid enough to grow in a player like Slavin or Lindholm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Bold move by the kid, still kind of a jerkoff if you ask me, but it is what it is. 

Let’s see if the Knights have him back or if he basically fvcked his whole life. 

I don't know what the right answer is, as far as trying to come back from something like that, but I can't say anything he's done/said so far has been the absolute wrong way to go about it. A strong lesson in not being a piece of sh!t to people.

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't know what the right answer is, as far as trying to come back from something like that, but I can't say anything he's done/said so far has been the absolute wrong way to go about it. A strong lesson in not being a piece of sh!t to people.

Correct. It’s easy to say the right things afterwards, harder to do the right things before. Not that it’s really that hard to not take a picture of you having sex with someone and then show people, I’ve managed to not do that my whole life. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe I’m just a different kid from a different family, but after I moved out of my parents’ house, there was no way I would have moved back to quarantine with them. I mean I love my parents, but also my independence. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, mfitz804 said:

Correct. It’s easy to say the right things afterwards, harder to do the right things before. Not that it’s really that hard to not take a picture of you having sex with someone and then show people, I’ve managed to not do that my whole life. 

Here is what I don’t get: I remember being young and sex was still novel to me.  What I don’t remember is being in the throes of passion and thinking, “wait, lemme get my phone and document this.”  Maybe it is generational, but the things I wanted to play with were all on my partner’s body and none of them were on my phone…. 

Edited by AEWHistory

24 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Here is what I don’t get: I remember being young and sex was still novel to me.  What I don’t remember is being in the throes of passion and thinking, “wait, lemme get my phone and document this.”  Maybe it is generational, but the things I wanted to play with were all on my partner’s body and none of them were on my phone…. 

This. I didn’t have a phone, but I had a camera. Sometimes a digital camera. Never even entered my mind.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I’m just a different kid from a different family, but after I moved out of my parents’ house, there was no way I would have moved back to quarantine with them. I mean I love my parents, but also my independence. 

The Hughes family probably has a big house lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Everyone in that generation is obsessed. They record eveything else so... 

I'm not saying it's right, plz don't take it like that. But they're always recording everything. I've gone to concerts and watched people watch the concert they're physically at through their phone screens as they record it... You know... So they can watch it later.

16 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Everyone in that generation is obsessed. They record eveything else so... 

I'm not saying it's right, plz don't take it like that. But they're always recording everything. I've gone to concerts and watched people watch the concert they're physically at through their phone screens as they record it... You know... So they can watch it later.

100% correct regarding the generational thing.  It amazes me at how much they are obsessed with capturing video of everything so they can post it on social media or show their friends later, rather than watching it live and carrying that memory for the rest of their lives.  So many people (of all ages really) are measuring their self worth by the number of likes they get on a post, it's really sad and pathetic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

100% correct regarding the generational thing.  It amazes me at how much they are obsessed with capturing video of everything so they can post it on social media or show their friends later, rather than watching it live and carrying that memory for the rest of their lives.  So many people (of all ages really) are measuring their self worth by the number of likes they get on a post, it's really sad and pathetic.

Agreed, BUT, doing that when the thing you are doing is banging out some girl, and then showing people, takes and extra special kind of a-hole. And don't give me the whole "he's a young kid" excuse, he's old enough to know that was not what he was supposed to be doing. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

You know what's funny - in my 20's I thought this was such a boomer take.  

But now as a crusty 31 year old, I'm with you.  I think back to how many events I had my phone out for - GOTTA PUMP UP THAT SNAP STORY - and I've watched the videos I took from these events exactly... 0 times.  Spent more time worrying about making sure I had good videos than actually enjoying the events sometimes.

Thankful to say I've kicked the habit for the most part.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, BUT, doing that when the thing you are doing is banging out some girl, and then showing people, takes and extra special kind of a-hole. And don't give me the whole "he's a young kid" excuse, he's old enough to know that was not what he was supposed to be doing. 

I was just commenting on general everyday things that I see with the younger generation and how they go about life.  I wasn't excusing Mailloux or the situation at all.  It's f'd up and there is no excuse for his actions regardless of his age.  Kids his age know right from wrong and he knew or should have known better than to (a) video the act without her consent, and (b) show his idiot teammates.  He's getting out ahead of the story a bit by taking his name out of the draft this year.  It will be interesting to see who drafts him in 2022 and whether any of the teams that came out publicly and said that they had taken him completely off their board change their tune next time around.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I was just commenting on general everyday things that I see with the younger generation and how they go about life.  I wasn't excusing Mailloux or the situation at all.  It's f'd up and there is no excuse for his actions regardless of his age.  Kids his age know right from wrong and he knew or should have known better than to (a) video the act without her consent, and (b) show his idiot teammates.  He's getting out ahead of the story a bit by taking his name out of the draft this year.  It will be interesting to see who drafts him in 2022 and whether any of the teams that came out publicly and said that they had taken him completely off their board change their tune next time around.  

I know, I was pre-emoting the people who always respond "but he's just a kid". Sorry, when you are a teenager, you're responsible for your stupid actions. there is no arguing that he didn't know better.