Jump to content

Who do you want at #4OA? *It's Luke! *


Nicomo
 Share

Who do you want at #4?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

    • Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
      0
    • Other
      0


Recommended Posts

Just now, nessus said:

This is basically how I feel about this one. I felt there were some much better choices here. To me, this is a bigger reach than Mukhamadullin. If they weren't interested in Raty, why not Pinelli?

Fitz said they are all about ceilings and what those guys can ultimately bring to the organization down the line. So i guess they saw his ceiling higher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn’t the whole “OMG HE WAS RATED SO HIGH LAST YEAR!!!!” why fans got overexcited about Popugaev a few years ago? 

Falling draft stock isn’t an opportunity, it’s a red flag.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nessus said:

Does Aatu Raty have some major red flags that I missed? I'm shocked that he didn't make it into the first round.

Well whatever it is, it must not be anything to do with his character cause no one seems to care about any of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m really mortified by the Montreal pick. Can’t stop thinking about the girl that kid victimized having to watch that douche get drafted in the first round. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

man i love your posts lately but acting like you’re the singular authority on what is good and bad for the Devils and scoffing at other members when questioned is an ugly look for you little man 

I wasn’t going to say anything (cause I also like Guadana a lot), but I have to agree. I’ve been trying to bite my tongue on the “sugar puppy” stuff, in hopes he’d embrace the pick once it was made, but man he’s uncharacteristically grumpy recently. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, they took him at 29. Bastian was 41, is it really that big of a difference?

it’s a statistically insignificant difference. We didn’t draft this kid top-10, goddamn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nicomo said:

I wasn’t going to say anything (cause I also like Guadana a lot), but I have to agree. I’ve been trying to bite my tongue on the “sugar puppy” stuff, in hopes he’d embrace the pick once it was made, but man he’s uncharacteristically grumpy recently. 

Sugar Puppy is an epic nickname though…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wasn’t going to say anything (cause I also like Guadana a lot), but I have to agree. I’ve been trying to bite my tongue on the “sugar puppy” stuff, in hopes he’d embrace the pick once it was made, but man he’s uncharacteristically grumpy recently. 

People are abrasive here all the time. I don't see why he is getting singled out tbh. He is just fitting in more than usual.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, we did what we came to do. Highly rated defensive prospect and we made our (hopefully) franchise center happier than we’ve seen anyone in NJ in a long time. Gotta be happy with that. 

A 29th pick may or may not be something. Let’s see what happens with him. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jagknife said:

Let me be salty about predicting correctly what Fitz would do

I mean you do you, but I really don’t give a sh!t what the magazine scouts and TSA talking heads and buzzfeed quizzes say to do. 

Our scouts wanted this kid for the New Jersey Devils and they got him. You’re allowed to not trust our scouts, but I do. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Probably have to explain it. You also said you would explain why the Hughes pick is bad

Hughes is the same what we have in Smith. Its not change anything and not push team forward. If he ever will be a good player, we will have two lefty puckmovers and the same questions we have before. nothing changed.

About role player. I dont want to draft role players in first round. This kind of stupid. You draft them later, some of them will grow, some not. Guys who are more hard workers will develop and will help you.

What did devils do? they grow a couple and lose them for temporary or for nothing. and than spent first round pick for a bottom guy. this is not how good manager use his assets. how long he will develope? 4? 5 years? If you want to draft by first round pick role player, trade it for saving Bastian. He is NHL player NOW. He is not a gamble. He is bottom line player. Stillman is only "chance" to be nhl player. It`s freakin bad. It is bad and stupid. So hard. 
Draft Bar or draft guys like Pinelli or Raty. Or trade for a couple of late picks, draft Stillman and other player. 

it is a bad assets managemnt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

People are abrasive here all the time. I don't see why he is getting singled out tbh. He is just fitting in more than usual.

This. And he’s not even closest to the grumpiest guy here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Go to 3:13 🤣🤣🤣 

 

 

That 3:13 mark is funny. So happy for them and glad to see Jack is pumped.  That's nothing but a good thing for them and the team.

Also, Luke sounds smart as hell. For an 18yr old, the things he just described and how he painted himself as a hockey player....super aware and mature.  All due respect to the great number 27, but this guy could very well be the next Scotty Nieds.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that the knee jerk reaction has subsided, since I had really wanted Pinelli or Raty at 29, I actually think this is a fine pick. Stillman seems to have a rare skill set, and I could see him being a late bloomer. Going to be optimistic on this one from here on. Whoever came up with the Mercer comparison may not be that far off. He seems to me like a grittier, although slightly less skilled, Mercer. Surprisingly good skating and hands for someone who is advertised as "hard to play against".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went about as I expected…Luke Hughes at 4, a reach pick at 29.  All good (plenty fine with Luke).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Hughes is the same what we have in Smith. Its not change anything and not push team forward. If he ever will be a good player, we will have two lefty puckmovers and the same questions we have before. nothing changed.

About role player. I dont want to draft role players in first round. This kind of stupid. You draft them later, some of them will grow, some not. Guys who are more hard workers will develop and will help you.

What did devils do? they grow a couple and lose them for temporary or for nothing. and than spent first round pick for a bottom guy. this is not how good manager use his assets. how long he will develope? 4? 5 years? If you want to draft by first round pick role player, trade it for saving Bastian. He is NHL player NOW. He is not a gamble. He is bottom line player. Stillman is only "chance" to be nhl player. It`s freakin bad. It is bad and stupid. So hard. 
Draft Bar or draft guys like Pinelli or Raty. Or trade for a couple of late picks, draft Stillman and other player. 

it is a bad assets managemnt. 

Why are you SO stuck on believing Johnson and Graves are temporary players for us? They were NOT brought here to be temporary. At all.

You're 100% getting upset about a warped perception you have, not about reality

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, they took him at 29. Bastian was 41, is it really that big of a difference?

yeah. trade pick for a couple of later picks, draft stillman and another player. or trade this pick for saving bastian and you will have NHL bottom player now if you think that late first round pick is worth of role player. Dont spend your own player for "chances to grow the same type of player". This is a manegement. Understanding how you use your recourses, it is logistique. Team is building now. Not 4-5 years after today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

Hughes is the same what we have in Smith. Its not change anything and not push team forward. If he ever will be a good player, we will have two lefty puckmovers and the same questions we have before. nothing changed.

About role player. I dont want to draft role players in first round. This kind of stupid. You draft them later, some of them will grow, some not. Guys who are more hard workers will develop and will help you.

What did devils do? they grow a couple and lose them for temporary or for nothing. and than spent first round pick for a bottom guy. this is not how good manager use his assets. how long he will develope? 4? 5 years? If you want to draft by first round pick role player, trade it for saving Bastian. He is NHL player NOW. He is not a gamble. He is bottom line player. Stillman is only "chance" to be nhl player. It`s freakin bad. It is bad and stupid. So hard. 
Draft Bar or draft guys like Pinelli or Raty. Or trade for a couple of late picks, draft Stillman and other player. 

it is a bad assets managemnt. 

How are you comparing drafting Hughes as a "role player", to losing Bastian in the expansion draft? They're literally two separate things that have nothing to do with each other. Not to mention the fact that... you're really that upset about losing Bastian? I liked him as a nice big body and grinder on the fourth line, but the fact is the dude is a fringe NHL player, at least for now. The only reason he saw so much ice time is because our team lacked depth and true starting talent. On any other team the guy will be struggling to make the lineup and could very well be finding himself back in the AHL before long. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How are you comparing drafting Hughes as a "role player", to losing Bastian in the expansion draft? They're literally two separate things that have nothing to do with each other. Not to mention the fact that... you're really that upset about losing Bastian? I liked him as a nice big body and grinder on the fourth line, but the fact is the dude is a fringe NHL player, at least for now. The only reason he saw so much ice time is because our team lacked depth and true starting talent. On any other team the guy will be struggling to make the lineup and could very well be finding himself back in the AHL before long. 

I believe he is referring to Stillman as the role player, not Hughes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

man i love your posts lately but acting like you’re the singular authority on what is good and bad for the Devils and scoffing at other members when questioned is an ugly look for you little man 

I wasnt. I was "sqoffing" at Fitz. And some people ask me personally, and  I dont think it is trying to exchange of views. You just don't agree with me and in this situation you are not taking my side. It`s ok. But I'm not distorting someone's words, I'm not trying to pull words out of context, etc. Please don't paint me as a villain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How are you comparing drafting Hughes as a "role player", to losing Bastian in the expansion draft? They're literally two separate things that have nothing to do with each other. Not to mention the fact that... you're really that upset about losing Bastian? I liked him as a nice big body and grinder on the fourth line, but the fact is the dude is a fringe NHL player, at least for now. The only reason he saw so much ice time is because our team lacked depth and true starting talent. On any other team the guy will be struggling to make the lineup and could very well be finding himself back in the AHL before long. 

Hughes words are about Highes. Stillman is about role plain story and Bastian story. Dont mix them. Its a different part of not well decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.