1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

• Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Other

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Ok. Agree. May be. But I dont like idea to have two playmaking LD(Luke and Smith) and dont have any other D at all. Severson could go out, or could stay. Anyway if he will stay we know who he is and which impact he can give for our roster. I dont think Hamilton will land here and the shape of "this" future defensive line looks soft. 
If Fitz will trade Seider for Smith after drafting Hughes, I`m ok with it. 

Everyone can start throwing rocks at me.

It seems like the defensive defensemen are the ones sooner to be coming up in the system though - Bahl, Okhotiuk, and Muhkamadoulin.  Walsh is another puck mover but would be foolish to pass up another highly touted playmaker because we already have Smith.

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

It seems like the defensive defensemen are the ones sooner to be coming up in the system though - Bahl, Okhotiuk, and Muhkamadoulin.  Walsh is another puck mover but would be foolish to pass up another highly touted playmaker because we already have Smith.

Yeah, I mean if we got another one we would have like 3 guys capable of making plays on our entire roster, that would be good, no?

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Great. Pick Clarke. Because he can play defense, he showed himself competent in  more meaningful competition, and  he can do more than only drive plays and skating. And you will get not only a specific defenseman, but also more options for the development of your club, because you will have options for how to develop the right flank of your defense.

Bahl, Okhotyuk and Mukhamadullin are LD. Misyul and Vukoyevich too. 

I’ve been thinking, what does it take, historically speaking, to move from the number four slot to number one?  I’m really just curious as this isn’t going to happen but I can’t help but dream we get a truly dominating defenseman again.  If it were even possible we need to replace Scott Stevens.

No problem, right?  😉

EDIT: I just saw in a mock draft that someone has the Devils selecting Carson Lambos with the second pick from the Isles.  This was done before the Isles went and turned their pick into a borderline 2nd rounder.... damn you Lou.... but anyone have any opinions of this guy?

Edited by AEWHistory

On 6/9/2021 at 5:15 PM, Nicomo said:

Luke would match-up with our timeline perfectly. He’s going to play at least one season at Michigan (maybe even 2). Hopefully by then Nico and Jack have taken the next step, Holtz is in the NHL, Ty Smith has a couple years in the league under his belt, etc. 

well to be fair any player from this draft would fit the same timeline. they all have the same age and could still play in their respective years until right?

listening to an interview he did at some point and seeing a few reports about it. It looks like Powers is really considering returning to university for another year. Said hed obviously talk about it with wtv team is drafting him but that could be interesting say he really wants to wait and that some teams would want him now. Still don't think he'd fall to 4 but it may help us in some ways

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

well to be fair any player from this draft would fit the same timeline. they all have the same age and could still play in their respective years until right?

Some will probably be in the NHL sooner than Luke, who I think will play 2 years of college. Although, Power seems like one of the most NHL ready out of the top guys, and I just saw he might return to Michigan for one more year. So who knows. As far as being the same age? Luke won’t even be 18 until September. He’s 7 months younger than Clarke for example. That’s pretty significant at that age. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Some will probably be in the NHL sooner than Luke, who I think will play 2 years of college. Although, Power seems like one of the most NHL ready out of the top guys, and I just saw he might return to Michigan for one more year. So who knows. As far as being the same age? Luke won’t even be 18 until September. He’s 7 months younger than Clarke for example. That’s pretty significant at that age. 

well i just mean most of those guys will have the same or really similar timeline

To me, we’re still struggling to score so drafting a playmaking defender is the way I’m leaning. Our defense isn’t great but I think it’s easier to fill in the stay at home spot with UFA’s and trades as opposed to the high end playmaking spot. We just shouldn’t be struggling to score like we do with this kind of talent.

Edited by Jerzey

23 hours ago, Jerzey said:

To me, we’re still struggling to score so drafting a playmaking defender is the way I’m leaning. Our defense isn’t great but I think it’s easier to fill in the stay at home spot with UFA’s and trades as opposed to the high end playmaking spot. We just shouldn’t be struggling to score like we do with this kind of talent.

Yeah and not only that, those type of skilled guys have creative ways to get the puck out of our zone too. And not only getting it out but starting an attack out of it. While many dmen are just getting it out or failing to do so

We're already seeing the type of chemistry Hughes and Smith had this season. Imagine if he had 2 guys like that behind him.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

I really liked Lambos and Ceulemans for the Isles’ pick, but now it looks like both will probably be gone by that pick. It also looked like Raty could have been a possibility there a couple weeks ago. Such a bummer that the Isles beat the Bruins. I am still holding out hope for Svozil, who I watched extensively at the WJC this past winter. He is someone I see as a very solid second pairing defenseman, which is far from a guarantee from a late first rounder. I also really like Heimosalmi, who would incidentally fill a need at RD. 

It would be ideal if someone like Pinelli or Othmann dropped, but I’m not feeling too optimistic. You never know with this draft though, you could even see one of Lysell or Rosen falling to the late part of the first. 

Just now, nessus said:

I really liked Lambos and Ceulemans for the Isles’ pick, but now it looks like both will probably be gone by that pick. It also looked like Raty could have been a possibility there a couple weeks ago. Such a bummer that the Isles beat the Bruins. I am still holding out hope for Svozil, who I watched extensively at the WJC this past winter. He is someone I see as a very solid second pairing defenseman, which is far from a guarantee from a late first rounder. I also really like Heimosalmi, who would incidentally fill a need at RD. 

It would be ideal if someone like Pinelli or Othmann dropped, but I’m not feeling too optimistic. You never know with this draft though, you could even see one of Lysell or Rosen falling to the late part of the first. 

Now that the Isles' first-rounder has dropped, you wonder if the Devils either use it and another pick (or something else) to try to move up in this year's first round, or simply deal it for an asset that can be part of the big club in 2021-22, as opposed to picking player that may or may not be ready in 3 years or so.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now that the Isles' first-rounder has dropped, you wonder if the Devils either use it and another pick (or something else) to try to move up in this year's first round, or simply deal it for an asset that can be part of the big club in 2021-22, as opposed to picking player that may or may not be ready in 3 years or so.  

i think even first rounders will be valuable more than usual this year cause GMs knows they may lose a player for nothing so getting either a first round pick or a young guy on their ELC is ideal and better than nothing

https://rinkroyalty.com/2021/06/15/2021-nhl-mock-draft-predicting-first-round-picks/

Another mock draft popped today with us picking Clarke. Even if Luke was also available.

One observation that i have, that I obviously don't know and i'm sure scouts are taking in consideration but anyway... is that obviously Power is huge... but is that maybe giving him too much of an edge at the moment than it should. I'm thinking of guys like Myers or wtv that size was always brought up and they were able to do well against lesser competition but in the NHL they just got average

I do like Power's game. But he's also certainly not like... very shifty and slick like other guys are. And i mean we've seen similar guys in the past have great careers like Weber or Pronger or wtv... but we also saw weber in a breakaway recently and that was like watching a moose running on ice lol

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

... but we also saw weber in a breakaway recently and that was like watching a moose running on ice lol

I had to Google it, the moose on ice part checks out, but there’s no stretch of the imagination that would call moving at that speed “running”, ice not withstanding. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I had to Google it, the moose on ice part checks out, but there’s no stretch of the imagination that would call moving at that speed “running”, ice not withstanding. 

it's like running on a treadmill... you're not moving forward at all but you're still running

2 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Altering heavily between Clarke and Hughes at the moment. Good thing is we're pretty much guaranteed to get one of those two imo. Should be interesting.

My whole being REALLY hope we can get one of the 2.

A part of me hope our scouts can get the one they really want.

Another part of me really want Clarke.

Another part of me really want Luke.

Another part of me would be thrilled if both would be available at 4 so we can choose.

Another part of me would hate that they are both available so that we have to choose.

Another part of me hope one is taken in the top 3 and that we can just get the other one.

At the end of the day i'm glad im not in charge

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/2620093/2021/06/15/nhl-draft-prospects-ranking-2021-corey-pronmans-final-top-151/

Pronman came out with his final rankings and they really took me by surprise.  Not because I don't agree with him (I've watched close to 0 scouting reports), but because they are different from what I've been seeing and hearing from others.  Here's an abridged version down to the last person I've heard about.  Mostly because I thought Edvinsson was a top 3 or 5 pick.

Tier 1: Projected NHL All-Star
1. Owen Power - D
Tier 2: Projected bubble all-star/top of lineup player
2. Dylan Guenther - RW
Tier 3: Projected top of the lineup player
3. William Eklund - LW
4. Luke Hughes - LHD
5. Matthew Beniers - C
6. Kent Johnson - C
Tier 4: Projected bubble top/middle of lineup or quality starting goaltender
7. Chaz Lucius - C
8. Brandt Clarke - RHD
9. Mason McTavish - C
10. Sebastian Cossa - G
11. Jesper Wallstedt - G
Tier 5: Projected middle of lineup player
12. Simon Edvinsson - LHD

Edited by Crisis
  • Shocking 1

He does a breakdown of each player so let me know if you want me to post it.  I'll throw Luke and Clarke up here for argument's sake.

Disclaimer: The Athletic is worth the subscription.  Especially if you split it with someone.

1. Luke Hughes, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Sept. 9, 2003 | 6-foot-2 | 184 pounds

Skating: High-end
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average

Hughes had a strong season, as a leading player for the U.S. NTDP, but a late-season injury kept him from playing at the U18 worlds. Hughes is a 6-foot-2 elite-skating defenseman with offensive ability, which is a highly appealing toolkit for an NHL projection. Like his brothers Jack and Quinn, Luke’s edgework is fantastic, showing great ability to elude checks. His skating and skill combination allow him to generate a lot of controlled exits and entries. His playmaking isn’t at the same level as his brothers, but he has enough skill and vision to be on an NHL power play and be a driver at the top level. The size and skating combination should allow him to make stops as a pro, but currently his D-zone coverage isn’t completely refined, as he needs to work on his gaps. He can be a bit risky and turnover prone with the puck, and managing that is a main area of concern with scouts. In a sentence, Hughes projects as a top-pair defenseman who can be on a power play and be elite in transition, but will have issues matching up versus top players.

1. Brandt Clarke, RHD, Barrie-OHL

Feb. 9, 2003 | 6-foot-2 | 185 pounds

Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Above-average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average

Clarke went to Slovakia because there was no OHL season and was quite good. He is a dynamic player with the puck because of his puck skills and playmaking ability. He has the poise and vision to make tough plays from both ends of the rink. He can beat opponents with his skill consistently and looks unique with the puck on his stick, with true first power-play unit potential in the NHL. The concern on Clarke is his skating as he’s a somewhat knock-kneed skater without great quickness. He defends well in junior due to his sense and having decent reach, but the pace will be a concern in that regard as he advances levels. In a sentence, Clarke projects as a second or third defenseman who can be on a top NHL power-play unit but may not be able to face top opponents defensively.