Today in History: June 9th, 2003

RunninWithTheDevil

40 minutes ago, eldon said:

Me too! You never forget your 3rd time, lol.  Being on a Monday night made for a tamer celebration. 

I took off the next day.  When the parking lots closed we ended up closing the Friday's or Houlihan's (can't remember) in Secaucus with about 100 other Devils fans because there was no where else to go.   It will certainly be a lot cooler if we ever win one in Newark.    

• Like 1

I was there too, was one of the first cars in the parking lot that day too because we weren't risking something stupid happening to cause us to be late. 

Such an incredible atmosphere. As happy as I am that we are in Newark now over the Meadowlands its unfortunate we have had such little success in the new building. Been there since the 07-08 season and have only ever won a playoff series in 2012. Really looking forward to the day when we are actually competitive again. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was there too, was one of the first cars in the parking lot that day too because we weren't risking something stupid happening to cause us to be late. 

Such an incredible atmosphere. As happy as I am that we are in Newark now over the Meadowlands its unfortunate we have had such little success in the new building. Been there since the 07-08 season and have only ever won a playoff series in 2012. Really looking forward to the day when we are actually competitive again. 

I watched that Game 7 from some sports bar in the Menlo Park Mall...think it was called Champs?  I was at Bar A for the 2000 Cup win.  But yeah, nothing beats actually being there for sure.  1995 for me was so much goddamn fun.

Agree about the new building...not that many memorable successes there as of yet, outside of "Henrique!  It's over!"  Hopefully soon...the building itself is terrific, and even better now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eldon said:

ABC version. 

Must be cringeworthy for Marty to ever watch this, as they focus on Melanie in the crowd periodically, before the game noting she's a loyal wife...

Wait, what am I missing?  Wasn’t he the one banging her sister in law?  

9 hours ago, eldon said:

I'm too lazy to start a new topic.

Today's another Anniversary, for 2000. NHLN in a few minutes (noon ET) is playing the condensed 2 hour version of Game 6 in Dallas. 

Games 5 & 6 of that series was probably the best goaltending display I’ve ever seen.   Those weren’t the locked down games of 2003, they were relatively wide open and the two goalies just stopped everything.   

Wasn't insinuating she wasn't loyal, just Clement or Thorn's words when they said she was so nervous she couldn't watch, one of them asked why did she come to the game? Because she's a loyal wife. 

About the goaltending, what was it Belfour said he took before game 1 that was why he got drilled? Benadryl? I forget.

10 hours ago, eldon said:

Wasn't insinuating she wasn't loyal, just Clement or Thorn's words when they said she was so nervous she couldn't watch, one of them asked why did she come to the game? Because she's a loyal wife. 

About the goaltending, what was it Belfour said he took before game 1 that was why he got drilled? Benadryl? I forget.

Cough medicine.  I think it was a brand called A-Line  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The ugly divorce was during the 2003 run.   ABC couldn’t get enough of her and the kids in the stands in 2000

Yeah during the 2003 run there were rumors that she called Marty before playoff games just to try to distract him and piss him off. sh!t was ugly.

Edited by MadDog2020

31 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The ugly divorce was during the 2003 run.   ABC couldn’t get enough of her and the kids in the stands in 2000

That’s right, my bad. 

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah during the 2003 run there were rumors that she called Marty before playoff games just to try to distract him and piss him off. sh!t was ugly.

Well in all fairness, he kinda deserved it. 

• Like 2

Didn't one of our regular posters here run into her at a shore house or something  If I'm remembering correctly he said she was a sweetheart and couldn't have been nicer. Pretty sure it was within a year or two of the divorce. 

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He goes into a fair amount of detail in his book about all of that...of course, he can only go so far (gotta think they're both limited in exactly how much they can say through print or media), but he said more about it than I would've expected.  He took responsibility for hurting her (and most of what she might have done to get back at him as a result), and admitted that there were times that he acted like (in his words) "a model idiot".  Said that through the years, that several people had asked him how he'd managed to perform through all of that...he basically said that HE didn't really know how he'd managed to get through it.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Game 5 was prom night, Game 6 was my first real experience with alcohol, Game 7 started finals week. Man 03 was weird

Game 4 1995:  Was at the game, and for some reason had committed to play a gig with my former band after the game was over.  My biggest regret of that night...I wound up having to leave right after the trophy presentations (several fans were still hanging in the parking lot and celebrating), and since my head was completely somewhere else, I played like absolute sh!t that night.  

Game 6 2000:  Was at Bar A.  Was a fun night, but a lot of distractions (place was packed to the gills)...I couldn't quite zone in as hard as I would've liked.  Once Arnott scored, I remember me and lots of Devils fans going nuts, and a lot of Ranger fans booing and chirping.  fvck 'em.

Game 7 2003:  Was at Champs at Menlo Park Mall, with a few friends.  Good times, some good food.  For some reason even though it was a Game 7, I wasn't nervous...can't explain it, but it just felt like the Devils got red of whatever iffy play they had left in them in losing Game 6...I was FAR more worried about Game 7 against the Sens in Ottawa in the ECF.  As was that 2003 team's trademark, the Devils simply came out and played a great TEAM game in Game 7 and took care of business.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eldon said:

Didn't one of our regular posters here run into her at a shore house or something  If I'm remembering correctly he said she was a sweetheart and couldn't have been nicer. Pretty sure it was within a year or two of the divorce. 

Yeah, I kind of remember that.  They both rented the same duplex or something.   Didn't give many details which I respect.   

12 hours ago, eldon said:

My sister went to school with the daughter of Marty's ex-wife's new "life partner".  Can't and won't share any of the fine details, but let's just say Marty's ex-wife got her revenge in more ways than one.  She is absolutely a sweetheart though, very nice to me the few times we've interacted.  Even got me an autographed puck from Marty which.. I felt kinda weird about tbh.

But to be clear - Marty did her absolutely dirty.  But she definitely stuck it to him in the aftermath, got her piece.  Probably has a great lawyer. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I could be wrong, but IIRC she filed for separation/divorce from him earlier in the season, but either her or the reporter who broke it (might have been Brooksie) waited until right when the playoffs started that year to break the news.

Yep, I think you’re right about that. That’s how I remember it going down too.