Tom Kurvers Dies Age 58

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Yeah just posted about this in the offseason thread...I had no idea how sick he was.  Only 58.  1988-89 was a largely rotten year for the Devils, but was great for two reasons:  1) John MacLean building off his great playoff run of 1988 and finally establishing himself as a real scoring threat (1988-89 would be his most productive season), and 2) Kurvers turning in a career year that Lou was able to somehow turn into a 1991 first-rounder from the often-poorly-run Leafs.  We all know how that turned out...but having gone to a nice glut of games that lost season, Kurvers was one of those players that had become a pleasant surprise, and fun to watch.  At first I was actually a little sorry to see him go (I was 19 at the time).  Weird that he's passed.

RIP Tom.    

• Like 2

He was a good Devil and a better trade piece. He was great in the '88 run and his 88-89 season was incredible. He seemed like a super nice guy.  

As a kid they all seem so much older than you, but he was only 6 years older than me. Too young, cancer sucks.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah just posted about this in the offseason thread...I had no idea how sick he was.  Only 58.  1988-89 was a largely rotten year for the Devils, but was great for two reasons:  1) John MacLean building off his great playoff run of 1988 and finally establishing himself as a real scoring threat (1988-89 would be his most productive season), and 2) Kurvers turning in a career year that Lou was able to somehow turn into a 1991 first-rounder from the often-poorly-run Leafs.  We all know how that turned out...but having gone to a nice glut of games that lost season, Kurvers was one of those players that had become a pleasant surprise, and fun to watch.  At first I was actually a little sorry to see him go (I was 19 at the time).  Weird that he's passed.

RIP Tom.    

I remember my friend being legitimately pissed about the trade, he put a lot of stock into the fact that he was a Hobey Baker award winner. As you said, he had that career year and then we traded him, and it worked out. 

Dude had a pretty good set of numbers for his career, 421 points in 659 games. If you had asked me who had a better PPG, I would have picked Niedermayer and I would have been wrong.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I remember my friend being legitimately pissed about the trade, he put a lot of stock into the fact that he was a Hobey Baker award winner. As you said, he had that career year and then we traded him, and it worked out. 

Dude had a pretty good set of numbers for his career, 421 points in 659 games. If you had asked me who had a better PPG, I would have picked Niedermayer and I would have been wrong.

That trade was bad from the second the Leafs agreed to it (Kurvers was simply not worth a first-round pick), but his first season there he was at least pretty good…then the bottom just fell out completely during his second season…as many know, that pick was looking like it could be the #1 overall (Lindros of course), before the Leafs made some desperation deals to improve the team just enough so that wouldn’t happen.  Of course San Jose entering the league that year (and being given the #2 overall pick) was another bonus…I’m pretty sure that Pat Falloon was the consensus #2 pick on just about every draft board.

And yeah Kurvers had a decent career, but I think every team that got him was always hoping for just a little bit more.  Lou smartly sold high while he could (and found a franchise dysfunctional enough to overpay).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 hours ago, John Wensink said:

He was a good Devil and a better trade piece. He was great in the '88 run and his 88-89 season was incredible. He seemed like a super nice guy.  

As a kid they all seem so much older than you, but he was only 6 years older than me. Too young, cancer sucks.

Almost 8 years older than me, and I readily admit it…as I see these numbers of people passing away that are relatively close to my own age (or people that were part of my world and seemed like they would just be around forever), I kinda freak out.  I remember when 58 seemed old…not so much anymore…definitely too young to pass on.  I see a guy like Kurvers and I know he was very sick, but a huge part of me is still in “How can he be gone so soon?” mode.