My new project: NJ Devils Goalie Puck Collection

mfitz804

42 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

On Sam St. Lauren have you ever reached out to Chico or players he may have played with to see if they know how to get hold of him? He was the Rangers goalie Coach till 2004. Can't imagine him not coming to the Devil's rink and Chico not bumping into him and having a chat. 

I have reached out to Lundqvist, Dan Cloutier, and Jason LaBarbera and his wife (she has a larger online presence). LaBarbera apparently said Sam was his biggest influence in an interview. None of them have gotten back to me.

Out of all of the players I have reached out to, there’s only one who aI know refused my request outright. There are others I didn’t get but cannot verify if I ever actually reached them. For the most part anyone I have emailed with or messages with has been super nice and supportive. 

I wonder if Chico responds at all. Maybe worth a shot. 

56 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

On Sam St. Lauren have you ever reached out to Chico or players he may have played with to see if they know how to get hold of him? He was the Rangers goalie Coach till 2004. Can't imagine him not coming to the Devil's rink and Chico not bumping into him and having a chat. 

Chico hasn't tweeted in 4 years so I don't know if it will reach him, but I tried there. 

Ah man , it's a shame none of those came off. You would think someone there would at least have something. Glad people are acknowledging you though and being cool about it. 

Is Chico still doing the Radio broadcast? Maybe ask Matt Loughlin on twitter if he could ask Chico? 

Some real friend of a friend territory now. 

51 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Ah man , it's a shame none of those came off. You would think someone there would at least have something. Glad people are acknowledging you though and being cool about it. 

Is Chico still doing the Radio broadcast? Maybe ask Matt Loughlin on twitter if he could ask Chico? 

Some real friend of a friend territory now. 

Worth a shot!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I broke my own rule again and purchased an Andrew Hammond puck on eBay. Although I was tempted to buy the one he wrote “The Hamburglar” on because it was funny, I couldn’t justify $60 plus shipping on a guy who may not be here long. 

There was an Ottawa puck for $15 shipped, went for that. Cheap enough for me to replace it with a Devils puck should one become available. 

Went into this season thinking I was not going to have to look for new pucks, and things took a definite turn lol. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Went into this season thinking I was not going to have to look for new pucks, and things took a definite turn lol. 

You’re going to need a separate case for just this year’s goalies at this rate. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You’re going to need a separate case for just this year’s goalies at this rate. 

I have two 30 puck cases. #2 also houses the 12 puck collection of all of our captains. 

I’m running low on room. I think there’s only one row in between with other pucks, and Gillies is the first pick in that row. There is a blank that will come out for Hammond, but soon moves will have to be made lol. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have two 30 puck cases. #2 also houses the 12 puck collection of all of our captains. 

I’m running low on room. I think there’s only one row in between with other pucks, and Gillies is the first pick in that row. There is a blank that will come out for Hammond, but soon moves will have to be made lol. 

Don't worry about my puck space!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m the course of my Puck Project activities, I found a great list of all of the goalies, including all of the guys who backed up but never played. 

I’m adding them all to my project so I can keep looking for stuff. They are:

Doug Dadswell (1991-92)

Frederic Henry (2000-01)

Ari Ahonen (2002-06)

Frank Doyle (2005-06)

Cam Johnson (2018-19)

Kyle Shapiro (2021-22)

Well, I have tracked down 2 of the 6 above. 

I found a Henry puck on eBay. 

I also had a brief conversation on IG with Kyle Shapiro, who provided me a mailing address and graciously agreed to sign one for me. 

I have looked in some Devils groups for an Ahonen puck, I find it hard to believe there aren't at least a few River Rats pucks floating around since he was with the organization for so long. 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I also had a brief conversation on IG with Kyle Shapiro, who provided me a mailing address and graciously agreed to sign one for me. 

You were probably his first (and only) autograph request 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You were probably his first (and only) autograph request 🤣

Yeah admittedly I felt a little bit weird asking, but he was super nice about it and was willing to help. 

If I am going to try for a complete collection, he's gotta be in there...

Boss is away today so I am putting in a little extra work trying to locate some of these backups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah admittedly I felt a little bit weird asking, but he was super nice about it and was willing to help. 

If I am going to try for a complete collection, he's gotta be in there...

Boss is away today so I am putting in a little extra work trying to locate some of these backups. 

I just hope Fitz (or whoever the GM is) works as hard in trying to find a goalie as you do tracking down goalie picks.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Loving this one, I bet almost nobody else in our fan base has a Kyle Shapiro signed puck. Really nice guy, apologized multiple times for taking a few weeks (despite my telling him he could wait as long as he wanted).

I’ll have to do some online research so I can make his write up on the blog as nice as possible. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's really cool that you got Kyle.

I also like the detail you put into your site.  It's a neat mini-museum of Devils goalies in there.  Love reading all the posts in there.

Thank you! You can clearly see when I was in a rush and when I had time, I think. I also put a little more effort into the posts when the guy was especially nice about my request.

I do have to go through and add the rest of the pucks, I already had at least half before starting the blog. Gotta get back to putting up a couple a week. 

• Like 1

Also with Sam St Laurent , have you thought about writing to the local newspaper of his home town and seeing if they will write a short story on your quest in search of a lead? 

https://www.lequotidien.com/

Think this is a paper that covers his home town. Worth a shot? 

18 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Did you ever hear back from the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame? 

Nope, I sent one follow up and they said they hadn’t heard back from him. I don’t want to be too pushy. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Also with Sam St Laurent , have you thought about writing to the local newspaper of his home town and seeing if they will write a short story on your quest in search of a lead? 

https://www.lequotidien.com/

Think this is a paper that covers his home town. Worth a shot? 

I had not considered that, but I do like the idea. I may have to look into that. Thanks!

Edited by mfitz804

• 2 weeks later...

I’m crushed, quite literally. 

Today I got a package that for a split second appeared to be a puck being returned by Hannu Kamppuri. After wishful thinking subsided, I noticed that in fact it was the package I sent to Hannu in Finland on July 22 of last year, being returned for non-delivery. 

I guess I can be thankful to get my puck, case and sharpie back, softens the loss a little. And, he didn’t ignore my request, so that’s good. 

As noted in my first sentence above, the box is a little worse for wear. 

2FBCC686-B0E7-4902-B22E-ED2FAB7972E8.jpeg