My new project: NJ Devils Goalie Puck Collection

mfitz804

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I’m assuming it was the reddit post. There are several MSG & New Jersey Devils employees who lurk there.

35 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Or tweeting @ Amanda

They told me they found my Instagram. I don’t tag the Devils directly but I do throw some hashtags in there for visibility. 

Just wasn’t looking for that kind of visibility. I was hoping for “I know Richard Shulmistra, I can get you a signed puck despite the fact that he hates your project and is obviously ignoring you”. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

Speaking of, Shulmistra is a goalie development coach for a junior club in NC. I emailed their general contact info and got an immediate reply from the Executive Director. 

He said Rich is his personal friend and he believes he will be intrigued by the project and will be happy to help. He was forwarding my email to him. 

This will either get me a puck or confirm that the guy just doesn’t want to do it. Which is fine, I guess, but it would probably make completing my project impossible. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Have you still not got Dell yet? 

I had extreme difficulty getting Dell. There hasn't been one on eBay in all the months since the project started. I checked Fanatics, various other places I sourced pucks from, nobody had any. 

I reached out to him directly on social media but did not receive any reply. 

I wasn't worried, though, as he's still playing which in some respects makes it easier. My intention was to see where he lands this season (AHL or NHL) and send one to the arena. I even bought a UND puck, thinking that sending a Devils puck to another team's arena may not be well received. 

However, our own @JWompcame through with one, it arrived yesterday, and I am now down to the Final Four. 

https://thepuckproject.com/2021/09/22/new-arrival-aaron-dell/

In other news, following my declining to appear in a broadcast, MSG Networks has asked me to take some video clips of my collection (without myself in the video) which they intend to use in some manner during this season's broadcasts. I put post-it notes with the names of the players I am missing in their spots in my display, and sacrificed one of my blank pucks and wrote the website address on it, and that puck is where the video ends. 

Hoping maybe someone sees it and can assist. It's almost time to amp up my efforts again, do we have anyone in Finland that wants to stalk Hannu Kamppuri for me?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I had extreme difficulty getting Dell. There hasn't been one on eBay in all the months since the project started. I checked Fanatics, various other places I sourced pucks from, nobody had any. 

I reached out to him directly on social media but did not receive any reply. 

I wasn't worried, though, as he's still playing which in some respects makes it easier. My intention was to see where he lands this season (AHL or NHL) and send one to the arena. I even bought a UND puck, thinking that sending a Devils puck to another team's arena may not be well received. 

However, our own @JWompcame through with one, it arrived yesterday, and I am now down to the Final Four. 

https://thepuckproject.com/2021/09/22/new-arrival-aaron-dell/

In other news, following my declining to appear in a broadcast, MSG Networks has asked me to take some video clips of my collection (without myself in the video) which they intend to use in some manner during this season's broadcasts. I put post-it notes with the names of the players I am missing in their spots in my display, and sacrificed one of my blank pucks and wrote the website address on it, and that puck is where the video ends. 

Hoping maybe someone sees it and can assist. It's almost time to amp up my efforts again, do we have anyone in Finland that wants to stalk Hannu Kamppuri for me?

Glad you managed to get that one. I thought it would be an easy score for the reasons you listed but there we go. 

28 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Glad you managed to get that one. I thought it would be an easy score for the reasons you listed but there we go. 

Yeah me too, I didn’t expect him to be among the last ones, with a Finnish guy, a guy nobody can find, and two guys that played 4 NHL games between them. 

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Ever think about reaching out to Kenny Daneyko?  The guy has played with all of them.  Maybe he has some insight into at least the guys still on this side of the pond.

Was thinking about that. Or even Chico, maybe there’s an unspoken goalie connection. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:36 AM, SterioDesign said:

Well my french ass was able to find some stuff for ya on this french website https://pucktavie.blogspot.com/2009/11/sam-st-laurent.html ... his website was http://www.acomba.net/gardiensdebutprise1 but it's offline now so the trail ends there. But then i found this as there seem to be other people looking for him lol https://www.hockeydb.com/vb/showthread.php?35141-Sam-St-Laurent

I believe this is his daughter. so maybe try to track her. I do believe that..... Together we can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time.

I wish I had read back through this thread because I was lookinh at St Laurent and found the same website address.  Thought I had found a lead and then seen you had found it. 

I did Google the address and on a goalie mask website someone said his contact email address was Samst@videotron.ca

Someone may have already found that, but maybe worth a try? 

Also I saw an article where Jason LaBarbera referenced him as a big influence on his career due to his coaching. LaBarbara's wife is on twitter. Thinking with LaB now being a goaltending coach for Calgary they may still run in the same circle? 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I wish I had read back through this thread because I was lookinh at St Laurent and found the same website address.  Thought I had found a lead and then seen you had found it. 

I did Google the address and on a goalie mask website someone said his contact email address was Samst@videotron.ca

Someone may have already found that, but maybe worth a try? 

Also I saw an article where Jason LaBarbera referenced him as a big influence on his career due to his coaching. LaBarbara's wife is on twitter. Thinking with LaB now being a goaltending coach for Calgary they may still run in the same circle? 

Two solid leads. I will see if they work.  There's a finders fee in it for you if so. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Two solid leads. I will see if they work.  There's a finders fee in it for you if so. Thanks!!

In the unlikely event anything comes of either (already one down) I don't want anything, it would be great to help you find them. And I love stuff like this, like a challenge. 

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

In the unlikely event anything comes of either (already one down) I don't want anything, it would be great to help you find them. And I love stuff like this, like a challenge. 

You’re a good dude.

Tweeted at Mrs. LaBarbera, let’s see what happens. You never know. 

I have a 0% success rate with Twitter so far, and only slightly better on Instagram. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:58 AM, mfitz804 said:

Speaking of, Shulmistra is a goalie development coach for a junior club in NC. I emailed their general contact info and got an immediate reply from the Executive Director. 

He said Rich is his personal friend and he believes he will be intrigued by the project and will be happy to help. He was forwarding my email to him. 

This will either get me a puck or confirm that the guy just doesn’t want to do it. Which is fine, I guess, but it would probably make completing my project impossible. 

I haven't been around here in a few weeks so I am just getting up to speed on your project from the last time I had popped in and read this thread for an update on your progress.

Couple things... 1- Pretty awesome that you were contacted by MSG.  I get why you don't want to appear and get the publicity, but would also be pretty neat to get that exposure... 2- Why the fvck wouldn't someone want to sign a puck?  How hard is it?  Takes 5 seconds, and I imagine some of these guys left on your list aren't the type that have been signing stuff for their whole lives to the point where it's a nuisance....and 3 - Not sure if the below information will help, but....I know you aren't a Facebook guy (I'm not really either, it's the only social media platform I use, and I barely use it at that), however.... 

When searching, I found no shortage of Chad Erickson's out there, obviously, since it's probably a pretty common name.  Yet, I did find one who, based on his birthdate (8/21/1970), looks like he *could* be 51 years old-ish.  Then, looking closer at the picture, you can see the guy is wearing some sort of jersey, and if you zoom in, it's a Minnesota Chiefs jersey (whoever they are....but Erickson was born in Minneapolis according to Wikipedia).  And finally, looking at the comments on this one particular picture, a few people wished him a Happy Belated Birthday on August 22nd, presumably his birthday was the day before, on the 21st of August....so... maybe that's him?

It doesn't appear to allow me to "Friend Request" him, but if you think that's something of a lead I can dig into it further.  Maybe look into a few of his friends or those people who commented on his picture/post.

Like Chimaira Devil, I don't want anything either if this actually turns into anything good for you - just fun to help and would love to see you complete your quest.  Pretty awesome that you've gotten this far, with only 4 left I feel like it would be a bummer to come up that short.  No reason to give up (yet).

Screenshot_20210923-224613_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-225621_Facebook.jpg

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

I’m not sure anyone wouldn’t want to sign. That said, I am 99% sure I found his address and Shulmistra’s and I know the pucks I sent were delivered. Plus, my contact at Shulmistra’s junior club never got back to me and did not respond to my follow up email. So who knows. 

But I’m not done trying and I thank you for your efforts. Here is a side by side of the picture you found and one of Chad from his playing days. What do we think? Any efforts you feel like making on my behalf would be greatly appreciated. 

FCA38529-2529-4BDA-9E33-5AE5480C7297.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure anyone wouldn’t want to sign. That said, I am 99% sure I found his address and Shulmistra’s and I know the pucks I sent were delivered. Plus, my contact at Shulmistra’s junior club never got back to me and did not respond to my follow up email. So who knows. 

But I’m not done trying and I thank you for your efforts. Here is a side by side of the picture you found and one of Chd from his playing days. What do we think? Any efforts you feel like making on my behalf would be greatly appreciated. 

FCA38529-2529-4BDA-9E33-5AE5480C7297.jpeg

That's definitely him.

The smile and the hairline stick out to me.

Edited by Crisis

Hannu Kamppuri is a member of the Finnish hockey hall of fame. They have a website, maybe as an alumni they will have contact details or will be willing to forward something on to him if it's sent? 

http://www.jaakiekkomuseo.fi/?lang=en

Possibly another one on the Hannu Kamppuri front. 

Had a Google and saw this group page on Facebook. The dude on the horse is listed as Hannu Kamppuri and I think he looks like an older version of the Devil's photos back in the day. 

Worth asking the question? 

Screenshot_20210924-215241_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d9ce12e8706875010898a41c8dd7241f.jpgScreenshot_20210924-215301_Facebook.thumb.jpg.f42f8141fe392fff5194c4baca0add85.jpg

On 9/21/2021 at 10:58 AM, mfitz804 said:

Never heard anything back from this guy or from Shulmistra. So I did what anyone would do, I sent a puck and return envelope to their PO Box in hopes that someone will get it and put it in from my of Shulmistra, and he’ll just sign it. 

Could be another wasted puck and more wasted postage, but such is the life of the Puck Project. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Never heard anything back from this guy or from Shulmistra. So I did what anyone would do, I sent a puck and return envelope to their PO Box in hopes that someone will get it and put it in from my of Shulmistra, and he’ll just sign it. 

Could be another wasted puck and more wasted postage, but such is the life of the Puck Project. 

Good move, keep us posted.