gdt: round 2 onwards. 11am ET

DevilMinder

I have no info about finnish defenseman. I think he has pretty good stat for U-19 defenseman in Liiga. But he is another left defenseman. Another left defenseman. When Bar was available still. I really dont understand. This is late rounds. We dont need to try find BPA in 100+ picks. 

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I have no info about finnish defenseman. I think he has pretty good stat for U-19 defenseman in Liiga. But he is another left defenseman. Another left defenseman. When Bar was available still. I really dont understand. This is late rounds. We dont need to try find BPA in 100+ picks. 

These picks are for the long term, not short term. These guys may only start flirting with the NHL in 4-6 years. You never know how things gonna go.

Fun fact. 6 years ago i was quoted saying "why in hell are we picking this Blackwood kid?!? We already have Schneider, KK and Wedgewood."

Jack Bar gone. We have two easy chances to draft him. fvckin fvck =-D That`s funny.

Jack Bar

Ranked #55 by FCHOCKEY

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

These picks are for the long term, not short term. These guys may only start flirting with the NHL in 4-6 years. You never know how things gonna go.

Fun fact. 6 years ago i was quoted saying "why in hell are we picking this Blackwood kid?!? We already have Schneider, KK and Wedgewood."

reason why Fitz must draft right defensemen and trade\sign them too. 

Devils will use left defensemen on the right side. There are no alternative.  But if you are a hockey player you will understand why this is not a good decision.

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I appreciate your posts Guadana, the fact you see many of the European players is a nice part of this site, so please do not take what I am about to say personally.

This left defenseman stuff is utter nonsense, truly, if you look at Devils history you can plainly see how silly it is.

If you're an all right defense team, then yes you have an issue, as you just don't see right handed d playing on the left side.

The left handed d however play the right side all the time, see Smith in junior and this season before his injury Luke Hughes.

Draft the best d you can get, if they are left handed, the odds are very high they can and in many cases have played the right side in their career.

Again look at the team you're writing about, the best teams they have had, notice what those best teams did not have much of, right handed defenseman.

If you end up with 8 really good left handed d, if all the drafted d of the last few years hit, guess what, you will have no problem trading one of them for a right handed d if you want to have at least 1 as some of the best teams this franchise had did.

Stillman looks like a reach, but the fact he missed the season except for his brief Danish vacation until the 18 juniors, and he supposedly grew a few inches in the last year, gives me some hope his ceiling is better than scouts saw in 2019-20.

Let's go get Hamilton and Tarasenko, plus a good backup goalie and be a good team again.

Let's Go Devils!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guadana said:

reason why Fitz must draft right defensemen and trade\sign them too. 

Devils will use left defensemen on the right side. There are no alternative.  But if you are a hockey player you will understand why this is not a good decision.

Smith can and played on the right side up until the NHL, that's not a problem.

Plus everything isn't black and white. If we have too many good players at one position. And that we felt the BPA was who we got. Then we can just flip those guys for need when the time is right, that's very very basic asset management. You don't pass over a better player at one position cause you don't have an immediate spot for him the next season. You have to think long term

I played hockey and coached hockey. And i was coached by the Devils' ex goalie coach. Yet i can understand how this is not necessarily a bad decision. 

You seem to have a very stiff and not very creative approach to this. You need to be a lot more flexible than that when you're planning something for years to come

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I appreciate your posts Guadana, the fact you see many of the European players is a nice part of this site, so please do not take what I am about to say personally.

This left defenseman stuff is utter nonsense, truly, if you look at Devils history you can plainly see how silly it is.

If you're an all right defense team, then yes you have an issue, as you just don't see right handed d playing on the left side.

The left handed d however play the right side all the time, see Smith in junior and this season before his injury Luke Hughes.

Draft the best d you can get, if they are left handed, the odds are very high they can and in many cases have played the right side in their career.

Again look at the team you're writing about, the best teams they have had, notice what those best teams did not have much of, right handed defenseman.

If you end up with 8 really good left handed d, if all the drafted d of the last few years hit, guess what, you will have no problem trading one of them for a right handed d if you want to have at least 1 as some of the best teams this franchise had did.

Stillman looks like a reach, but the fact he missed the season except for his brief Danish vacation until the 18 juniors, and he supposedly grew a few inches in the last year, gives me some hope his ceiling is better than scouts saw in 2019-20.

Let's go get Hamilton and Tarasenko, plus a good backup goalie and be a good team again.

Let's Go Devils!

Reality is different.

We will use left defensmen on the right side. We have no other option now. But plain on the "wrong" side in junior and in nhl is a different thing. 
I do really hope we will land Hamilton. Tarasenko? For the right compensation.
About full draft,  I will write about it later.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Smith can and played on the right side up until the NHL, that's not a problem.

Plus everything isn't black and white. If we have too many good players at one position. And that we felt the BPA was who we got. Then we can just flip those guys for need when the time is right, that's very very basic asset management. You don't pass over a better player at one position cause you don't have an immediate spot for him the next season. You have to think long term

I played hockey and coached hockey. And i was coached by the Devils' ex goalie coach. Yet i can understand how this is not necessarily a bad decision. 

You seem to have a very stiff and not very creative approach to this. You need to be a lot more flexible than that when you're planning something for years to come

Sterio, when you will watch NHL next times, watch closer how harder to protect the puck for guys who play on the wrong side. How harder to make and take a passes. Don't compare yourself and NHL. No offense on you here. These are small things that add up on large segments. In general, you can live with this. But this leads to unnecessary losses, unsuccessful attacks and extra losses in board battles.  it does not allow to make a protected pass. This is how mechanic work. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Sterio, when you will watch NHL next times, watch closer how harder to protect the puck for guys who play on the wrong side. How harder to make and take a passes. Don't compare yourself and NHL. No offense on you here. These are small things that add up on large segments. In general, you can live with this. But this leads to unnecessary losses, unsuccessful attacks and extra losses in board battles.  it does not allow to make a protected pass. This is how mechanic work. 

It's not about me. This is about you PROJECTING something that isn't even there yet and getting upset about it.

You're still upset we traded depth players who were barely cracking our lineups for "temporary players" when they were not even brought here to be temporary players. That's you 100% projecting.

Now you're getting upset that we drafted too many LHD and that we will have to play them on the wrong side in what? 4-5 years? 

Then you get upset that we trade away RW and role guys and grit. Then get upset again that we draft a gritty RW. You're REALLY grumpy and negative when things don't do your way lately

Who's going to play big minutes on the wrong side next season? WHO? We're not even able to sign free agents yet. MAYBE wait a bit til we see our roster before you go all doom and gloom with guys playing on the wrong side when you have no idea it will actually happen?

IF we do sign Hamilton. We'd have Smith, Graves, Bahl, Siegenthaler on the left side. We may even get Murray? Then on the right side we could have Hamilton, Severson and Subban. IF there's players switching side it would AT WORST be the bottom pairing.

PLUS many brought this up but you keep ignoring it. Ty Smith played both sides and mostly the right side all the way to the NHL, so he'd be perfectly fine going the other side at times.

You're making a huge deal out of nothing.

Edited by SterioDesign

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's not about me. This is about you PROJECTING something that isn't even there yet and getting upset about it.

You're still upset we traded depth players who were barely cracking our lineups for "temporary players" when they were not even brought here to be temporary players. That's you 100% projecting.

Now you're getting upset that we drafted too many LHD and that we will have to play them on the wrong side in what? 4-5 years? 

Who's going to play big minutes on the wrong side next season? WHO?

IF we do sign Hamilton. We'd have Smith, Graves, Bahl, Siegenthaler on the left side. We may even get Murray? Then on the right side we could have Hamilton, Severson and Subban. IF there's players switching side it would AT WORST be the bottom pairing.

PLUS many brought this up but you keep ignoring it. Ty Smith played both sides and mostly the right side all the way to the NHL, so he'd be perfectly fine going the other side at times.

You're making a huge deal out of nothing.

They are. I was sayin that Graves trade was pretty good in vacuum. Now I think it is a bad trade. I know it. This is not how you manage if you are good manager. Because he is temporary player.

Why?
1) Because we draft Hughes by 4OA.  Devils have zibillion left defenseman, Smith, Hughes now. 
2) Devils spent "part" of Coleman and "part" of Taylor Hall, ex MVP for two left defensemen.  Mukha and Bahl. This is a huge price and devils must rank high this guys.
3) Devils spent three years for drafting left defensemen. 7 picks in 2018-2020 draft. It is a full draft year.

Ofcourse Graves can be sign for a long term, but devils made A LOT to draft left defensemen. They did it time after time. If you have defenseman with high potential like Smith, a lot of guys with potential and than draft 4OA for left defenseman - you know what r u doin. I hope. 

Devils can sign left defenseman from the market for two years and develope what they did manage before. And not trade the best takeawayer of the league Maltsev who is young, good skater and play hard one on one. And a second round pick. 

This is a bad trade now. This is a not a good management of assets for rebuiling team.
___

If devils wanted to use Smith on the right side, they could do it year ago. But they did not. Because this is not junior league.

Subbs and Sevs are about closest future. I think Devils will use Bahl or Okhotyuk or even both on the right side in future.

Edited by Guadana

10 minutes ago, Guadana said:

They are. I was sayin that Graves trade was pretty good in vacuum. Now I think it is a bad trade. I know it. This is not how you manage if you are good manager. Because he is temporary player.

Why?
1) Because we draft Hughes by 4OA.  Devils have zibillion left defenseman, Smith, Hughes now. 
2) Devils spent "part" of Coleman and "part" of Taylor Hall, ex MVP for two left defensemen.  Mukha and Bahl. This is a huge price and devils must rank high this guys.
3) Devils spent three years for drafting left defensemen. 7 picks in 2018-2020 draft. It is a full draft year.

Ofcourse Graves can be sign for a long term, but devils made A LOT to draft left defensemen. They did it time after time. If you have defenseman with high potential like Smith, a lot of guys with potential and than draft 4OA for left defenseman - you know what r u doin. I hope. 

Devils can sign left defenseman from the market for two years and develope what they did manage before. And not trade the best takeawayer of the league Maltsev who is young, good skater and play hard one on one. And a second round pick. 

This is a bad trade now.
___

If devils wanted to use Smith on the right side, they could do it year ago. But they did not. Because this is not junior league.

See. You're doing it again. You're just convincing yourself that this is a bad trade BECAUSE to you he's a temporary player. That's NOT the goal. If we'd trade for guys over 33 or wtv i'd give it to you that they are temporary. But Graves is still young and he brings something that no other dmen on our roster is bringing at the moment.

You draft the best available player cause you just don't know what your roster will look like in 4-5 years. And IF you have too many good players at one position? no problem, you can trade them for something you need. You do not seem willing to recognize that at all. Many people here told you this and you still don't see like you want to hear it.

When you draft you have to be a lot more flexible than the black and white approach you seem to have.

We traded for Graves cause he's young. Can be part of our core and bring something NOW that we need now and in the long term. for a guy who may have never crack our lineup up front. You dont pass on that opportunity cause you may have a prospect that could fill that spot in 2-3 years.

Havent we learned anything from Urbom, Gelinas and all those guys we all thought were the second coming of Rafalski and Niedermayer?

Overall, it's your right to not like this trade, that's totally fine it's just an opinion. But stop going around claiming that those guys are just temporary cause that's just not true. And if they do turn out to be temporary its because they didn't pan out and we moved on from them. But it surely wasnt the intention

Edited by SterioDesign

Just now, SterioDesign said:

See. You're doing it again. You're just convincing yourself that this is a bad trade BECAUSE to you he's a temporary player. That's NOT the goal. If we'd trade for guys over 33 or wtv i'd give it to you that they are temporary. But Graves is still young and he brings something that no other dmen on our roster is bringing at the moment.

You draft the best available player cause you just don't know what your roster will look like in 4-5 years. And IF you have too many good players at one position? no problem, you can trade them for something you need. You do not seem willing to recognize that at all. Many people here told you this and you still don't see like you want to hear it.

When you draft you have to be a lot more flexible than the black and white approach you seem to have

Ok. As you wish. I have my own  logical sequence of conclusions about how to make trades and use assets, and I bring arguments to this. You have your own logic and give your own arguments. Obviously, we don't agree. This happens. Other people may agree with me, or with you. Or have a different opinion. Obviously, we will not go further in this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This cracked me up

Fitzerald: "Talk to me on Salminen"

Royce: "He's the big center who was put on the first line"

Fitzgerald (basically): Say no more, we'll take him if he's available. Oh wait he is available. Wait is it our turn to pick?

• Like 3

Bardakov is a very good pick for late round. It even better he is over ager. 

He can play his first NHL game before Stillman easily. This is great. I really like this guy. And he was plain much better in the end of past season. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1