official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

almost everyone is coming back minus Rick Moranis.

I really miss Rick Moranis, I totally understand why he stepped away from movies. 

And speaking of sequels, remakes etc, he's coming back to do Shrunk which is gonna be set 30 years affer the original. I know sequels blah blah blah but I'll be so happy to see him in something new that I don't even care lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Same here. I was a big comic geek in the 90s so it's kinda cool seeing all that stuff come to life. 

Just saw Black Widow a couple weeks ago. Ain’t nothing wrong with a little Scarlett Johansen.

Edited by mfitz804

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I love comic book movies personally. 

I never cared about superheroes and comic book characters growing up. But i love cinema and i kind of hate how all the marvel stuff is just put all in the same basket like it's empty entertainment and destruction fest for 2 hours. They completely ignore that almost all of those movies have actual subtext and meanings.

I'm also incredibly impressed how they were able to tell a HUGE story through all those movies and now tv shows for now over a decade. And it's generally always pretty good or great, not many of them sucked. It's incredibly impressive considering most franchise can't string more than 2 good movies together through history.

I also met Stan Lee, which is pretty damn cool.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I never cared about superheroes and comic book characters growing up. But i love cinema and i kind of hate how all the marvel stuff is just put all in the same basket like it's empty entertainment and destruction fest for 2 hours. They completely ignore that almost all of those movies have actual subtext and meanings.

I'm also incredibly impressed how they were able to tell a HUGE story through all those movies and now tv shows for now over a decade. And it's generally always pretty good or great, not many of them sucked. It's incredibly impressive considering most franchise can't string more than 2 good movies together through history.

I also met Stan Lee, which is pretty damn cool.

While I still enjoy some of the movies, DC has shown how hard is really is to pull off a proper universe which is a shame because they have some amazing characters. They just rushed into it all too quickly. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

While I still enjoy some of the movies, DC has shown how hard is really is to pull off a proper universe which is a shame because they have some amazing characters. They just rushed into it all too quickly. 

well it shows that you can't just make those movies with anyone and that it will be good because of the characters. You still need the right people writing, directing, etc etc

We've seen the same thing with Star Wars. The fact they didn't have a clear plan for the sequels and that they made the story as they went and all did their own thing made it a mess. Marvel has a long plan for all their movies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

this is a sequel not a remake or reboot or a comic book movie

But when it comes to that subject. Its true BUT that's our fault. Look at the top box office every single year. What you'll see is the top 10 is generally ALL sequels/remakes/superhero movies or franchises. Very rarely you'll see original content. Then go down the list... you'll start seeing some original content. Then scroll all the way down to see like ALL the releases of the year. And guaranteed that the bottom like 30 an the flops are almost ALL original content and that there's not many franchises in there. That's just fact. So it's not saying that original movies are not good and superhero movies or franchises are better. But people are simply not showing up in theatres as much for those. So the studios are investing in what brings money, they are a business after all. You take ALL the grossing from the top say... 10-15 original movies every year and more often than not it's barely matching the #1 movie grossing of that year. in the 50-70s, it was westerns. Its just a cycle. 

So if we want more content we like in theatres, we just gotta start showing up more when they do come out rather than bashing wtv is popular and mainstream at the moment. Those movies are not the root cause of the problem, they are the symptoms.

Families are often part of the problem too...too many parents will take their kids to almost ANYTHING animated or family-friendly, even if it got slammed by critics (think "Grown-Ups" and "Grown-Ups 2", among many others).  There's a lot of just really awful movies out there, and somehow they're making more money than they have any right to.  The fact that the Space Jam sequel's box office is plummeting after a decent opening weekend gives me some hope though.  

And you're right, the way to change it is for movie-goers to support QUALITY material when it comes out, instead of mindlessly flocking to whatever Hollywood churns out...but it sucks that far too often, due to much lower advertising budgets, too many damned fine movies wind up being really well-kept secrets.  I've seen my fair share that I heard about from a friend, or online somewhere.  

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That’s exactly why I like them, mindless entertainment. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Families are often part of the problem too...too many parents will take their kids to almost ANYTHING animated or family-friendly, even if it got slammed by critics (think "Grown-Ups" and "Grown-Ups 2", among many others).  There's a lot of just really awful movies out there, and somehow they're making more money than they have any right to.  The fact that the Space Jam sequel's box office is plummeting after a decent opening weekend gives me some hope though.  

And you're right, the way to change it is for movie-goers to support QUALITY material when it comes out, instead of mindlessly flocking to whatever Hollywood churns out...but it sucks that far too often, due to much lower advertising budgets, too many damned fine movies wind up being really well-kept secrets.  I've seen my fair share that I heard about from a friend, or online somewhere.  

I watched the new Space Jam from home but I'd never have gone to see it in the theater. Hell I barely go to the theater anymore unless it's a new James Bond or Terminator movie and that's because it's a tradition with my oldest friend. The rest I'd rather wait to watch from home. No people talking on their cell phones, can pause and go to the bathroom whenever. 

I know this is also sacrilegious to some people but I've even been watching some movies in two parts if they are too long lol

Space Jam was worth it simply to see the ridiculousness that was the rapists from clockwork orange and the clown from IT in the front row of the sidelines with other ridiculous characters cheering on Lebron and the toons even though this is a kids movie lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

its also about understanding what the more "niche" stuff that we REALLY like... simply doesn't have a mass appeal that could support studios and theatres. I went to see Parasite in theatre but we only had it ONE day. We were like... 7 people in the theatre. 4 of them i brought them with me lol

So even if Fast and the furious 26 wouldnt come out at the same time. It doesn't mean Parasite or movies like Minari or Green Book would have played 3 times a day for 3-4 weeks in theatres either. Their target audience is just way smaller.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I watched the new Space Jam from home but I'd never have gone to see it in the theater. Hell I barely go to the theater anymore unless it's a new James Bond or Terminator movie and that's because it's a tradition with my oldest friend. The rest I'd rather wait to watch from home. No people talking on their cell phones, can pause and go to the bathroom whenever. 

I know this is also sacrilegious to some people but I've even been watching some movies in two parts if they are too long lol

Yeah and this is also a big reason why we see more franchises, sequels and all that stuff coming out. Cause there's a LOT of people with that same mindset. You REALLY need something big to come out for many people to actually go to the theatres now. 

Especially with the content we can get on Netflix, amazon prime, Shudder etc etc and for like $15 a month instead of $15 for one movie. The industry changed and people whining should understand that it's because of ALL that that we see all those same movies coming out, cause they work lol But there's no point bashing those movies, it's not their fault

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

The same reason you follow this board i assume

I would say sometimes this board has mindless conversation, other times the complete opposite. 

The real reason is, I hate social media and I can just come here and read the stuff that you guys get and then post minutes later. All my Devils news in one spot. 

And of course, the people. Too good of a crew here not to follow...

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would say sometimes this board has mindless conversation, other times the complete opposite. 

The real reason is, I hate social media and I can just come here and read the stuff that you guys get and then post minutes later. All my Devils news in one spot. 

And of course, the people. Too good of a crew here not to follow...

Hey thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

its also about understanding what the more "niche" stuff that we REALLY like... simply doesn't have a mass appeal that could support studios and theatres. I went to see Parasite in theatre but we only had it ONE day. We were like... 7 people in the theatre. 4 of them i brought them with me lol

So even if Fast and the furious 26 wouldnt come out at the same time. It doesn't mean Parasite or movies like Minari or Green Book would have played 3 times a day for 3-4 weeks in theatres either. Their target audience is just way smaller.

It's the type of movies too, big action/adventure movies always give people more of a reason to say I wanna see that on a giant screen with better sound. I really enjoyed Parasite but I saw it from home and nothing about it made me feel like I needed to see in a theater. 

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's the type of movies too, big action/adventure movies always give people more of a reason to say I wanna see that on a giant screen with better sound. I really enjoyed Parasite but I saw it from home and nothing about it made me feel like I needed to see in a theater. 

yeah and also see it with people cause the reactions and all is always better. And you're right, if i can i'm always going to watch a movie i really wanna see at the theatre just cause its adding to the experience and helping me not being on my phone or pausing etc etc. a movie is made to be experienced like that so im trying to be in the best possible mindset.

Its driving me insane to watch a movie with people who barely pay attention, constantly on their phones... then say the movie is boring or not that good lol It's like... you missed SO much stuff. Directors are putting all t hose scenes, dialogs and visual in a specific way and order for you to take that for the experience. If you just skim through you're just not watching the movie really. Its like reading a book and skipping 10 pages every time lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah and also see it with people cause the reactions and all is always better. And you're right, if i can i'm always going to watch a movie i really wanna see at the theatre just cause its adding to the experience and helping me not being on my phone or pausing etc etc. a movie is made to be experienced like that so im trying to be in the best possible mindset.

Its driving me insane to watch a movie with people who barely pay attention, constantly on their phones... then say the movie is boring or not that good lol It's like... you missed SO much stuff. Directors are putting all t hose scenes, dialogs and visual in a specific way and order for you to take that for the experience. If you just skim through you're just not watching the movie really. Its like reading a book and skipping 10 pages every time lol

Absolutely agree on the phone. I've gotten into the habit of putting my phone down when watching movies or tv shows, I'll set it to do not disturb where only the people who I have selected can call me or text me and that's just in case they have an emergency because watching movies on my tv would be a horrible excuse to miss the call lol

Pausing I love though, bathroom break, snack break, even finishing it the next day. I don't think any of those things takes away my enjoyment of the movie cause I'm still paying attention and it beats running to the bathroom or snack stand for a refill in the middle of movie in a theater where you just miss all of that.

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Absolutely agree on the phone. I've gotten into the habit of putting my phone down when watching movies or tv shows, I'll set it to do not disturb where only the people who I have selected can call me or text me and that's just in case they have an emergency because watching movies on my tv would be a horrible excuse to miss the call lol

Pausing I love though, bathroom break, snack break, even finishing it the next day. I don't think any of those things takes away my enjoyment of the movie cause I'm still paying attention and it beats running to the bathroom or snack stand for a refill in the middle of movie in a theater where you just miss all of that.

We took my daughter to see Cruella (thought it was pretty good, could've been trimmed down 20 mins or so)...I had to pee so bad about 80 mins in or so...finally couldn't hold it anymore and had to get up...missed maybe 5-7 mins.  Yeah, that's the one part that sucks about going to see a movie in person.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/top-30-ufa-list-2021#.YQBh5BQMIYw.twitter

We're basically linked to EVERYONE except maybe Oprah and Marner's dad. 

Hamilton, Saad, Barrie, Coleman, Savard and Hoffman

Just give me Hamilton and Coleman and I’ll be good. 

Edited by MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just give me Hamilton and Coleman and I’ll be good. 

Yeah, pretty much sums it up for me.  I can see a possible extension for Jack too, though I can definitely understand if both sides would rather wait.

Something that will be in the back of my mind for a while...do the Devils eventually trade Smith + something else for Q. Hughes?  Not saying that I WANT that to happen...I like what I saw of Smith, and I'm not sure how much more I'd want to give up just to have all of the Hugheses here.  I'll just be wondering if it's something that happens in the next few years.

• Like 1