official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

anyone else develop a moderate to severe golf addiction because of the pandemic? it’s the only thing i think about 24 hours a day lmao.

A tiny life goal of mine is to never play a single round of real golf for as long as I live. I've gotten out of it numerous times lol

Not knocking it for those that like it but it's absolutely not for me. Love me some mini-golf though and Holey-Moley on ABC is a ton of fun lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

A tiny life goal of mine is to never play a single round of real golf for as long as I live. I've gotten out of it numerous times lol

Not knocking it for those that like it but it's absolutely not for me. Love some mini-golf though and Holey-Moley on ABC is a ton of fun lol

Yeah, I can’t get into golf either. Oddly enough though I like the driving range. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not knocking it for those that like it but it's absolutely not for me. Love me some mini-golf though and Holey-Moley on ABC is a ton of fun lol

I tried it once, I was not good but did birdie one Par 3 somehow. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

yeah that sounded needlessly misogynistic — my wife was joking with me before we found out the sex that she hopes it’s a girl so the chances are less likely her weekends are spent totally alone while me and the kid play golf. 

there’s a female golfer in my regular group who is a plus handicap and kicks my ass. didn’t mean for that to come off that way haha.  

I had a daughter, she likes rock music, Marvel movies, and the Devils. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I have a kid on the way and that’s literally top-10 in my concerns. 

but it’s a boy and i will make him love golf or i’ll return to sender

Yeah it's the years leading up to them actually being able to play that are the worst. I mean, I just made it hard on myself by having a bushel of children. It's impossible to get out of the house for 5 hours on a weekend because that would be cruel to my wife, but I do take a day off of work here and there to hit the links with the homies. My oldest is six so he is starting to swing the club and show some interest. I'm hoping that's my ticket out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I can’t get into golf either. Oddly enough though I like the driving range. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I tried it once, I was not good but did birdie one Par 3 somehow. 

I play occasionally but it would be such a better sport if the norm was 9 or 12 holes IMO.  18 is too much for me.  Too big of a time commitment and too many cracks at the bev cart.    I always end up sh!tfaced at the end.   

The course in Brigantine allows you to tee off early in the morning and just play the back nine while members are starting their rounds on the 1st hole.  I was doing that a bit until I had a kid.   Now I just want to sleep.   

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

yeah that sounded needlessly misogynistic — my wife was joking with me before we found out the sex that she hopes it’s a girl so the chances are less likely her weekends are spent totally alone while me and the kid play golf. 

there’s a female golfer in my regular group who is a plus handicap and kicks my ass. didn’t mean for that to come off that way haha.  

No need to explain. We of course know that girls can like golf too and that what you meant was that you wouldnt let a girl drive the cart. And that's totally understandable. 

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I play occasionally but it would be such a better sport if the norm was 9 or 12 holes IMO.  18 is too much for me.  Too big of a time commitment and too many cracks at the bev cart.    I always end up sh!tfaced at the end.   

The course in Brigantine allows you to tee off early in the morning and just play the back nine while members are starting their rounds on the 1st hole.  I was doing that a bit until I had a kid.   Now I just want to sleep.   

I'm with you here.  18 holes is a long fvcking time.  I often find myself playing the 9 hole Academy course at Neshanic.  The conditions are immaculate and it's pretty challenging (for me).

But fvck, man.. sleep?  The word seems to have lost meaning with me.  My friends ask me why I'll drive to Phila or Brooklyn on a Tuesday to go see a show by myself.  It's because it doesn't matter what the next day is.  They are all up at 5 regardless.

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

No need to explain. We of course know that girls can like golf too and that what you meant was that you wouldnt let a girl drive the cart. And that's totally understandable. 

Am a girl and I hate golf and I don't have a driver's license.  So I don't know how to take this.

34 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Am a girl and I hate golf and I don't have a driver's license.  So I don't know how to take this.

That's all we needed, thanks a lot!

Oh and by the way, I'd like the mayo on the side, please.

Sounds like he’s ok. 

We can confirm Bob is in stable condition after experiencing a heart related incident. He and his family would like to express gratitude for the incredible doctors and nurses looking after him, as well as his cast, crew and producers who have stayed by his side. The Odenkirks would also like to thank everyone for the outpouring of well wishes and ask for their privacy at this time as Bob works on his recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Been watching a bunch of MCU movies the past 1-2 weeks.  I have seen all of them at some point or another (minus Hulk and Black Widow), but haven't seen most since they were released.  So far I have re-watched Iron Man 1-3, Captain America 1-2, Avengers 1-2, Ant-Man and currently on Captain America 3.  I have been skipping the movies I do not care for but will likely re-watch all of the phase 3 films minus Ant Man 2 and Captain Marvel.

39 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Been watching a bunch of MCU movies the past 1-2 weeks.  I have seen all of them at some point or another (minus Hulk and Black Widow), but haven't seen most since they were released.  So far I have re-watched Iron Man 1-3, Captain America 1-2, Avengers 1-2, Ant-Man and currently on Captain America 3.  I have been skipping the movies I do not care for but will likely re-watch all of the phase 3 films minus Ant Man 2 and Captain Marvel.

My daughter and I went online and found a list I’ve all of them in chronological order of how the events happen. Not 100% accurate, some of them are estimated. That was what we watched during quarantine. Usually a movie or a movie and a half each night. Got through the whole damn thing in about a month.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My daughter and I went online and found a list I’ve all of them in chronological order of how the events happen. Not 100% accurate, some of them are estimated. That was what we watched during quarantine. Usually a movie or a movie and a half each night. Got through the whole damn thing in about a month.

What are your top 3 MCU movies? For me it’s probably Thor Ragnarok (I’m a huge Taika Waititi fan), Winter Soldier, and the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

The only ones I haven’t seen yet are Black Widow and Ant Man & the Wasp. 

On 7/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

i feel as a small community we should have a topic that people will see and kinda express themselves

Just fun stuff like, "hey i cooked some amazing ribs and listened to some good tunes. "

IMG_2141.jpg

This is a cool thread idea. How do you make your ribs?  My father gave me his gas smoker a year or two ago because he moved to the mountains and can't have it (it attracts bears).  I've used it a few times and gotten pretty good.  I mix it up between applewood chips, hickory, and pecan - they're all tasty.  The ribs themselves I usually baste with my own fairly simple dry rub - brown sugar, salt and pepper, paprika, garlic power, onion power, and anything else I'm feeling.  A buddy of mine puts a tiny bit of mustard on it, which he says is what gives it that charcoal crisp/burnt texture on the outside, similar to what you'd see at a true BBQ joint, but I've never personally done it.   For cooking times, I usually wrap them in foil for 2 hours, take them out and unwrap them, put them back in for another two, take them out again and baste them with BBQ sauce, then put them back in for another 2+.  In totally I usually cook them for anywhere between 6-8 hours, and I just judge it by how they're looking.  Temp is usually set between 200 and 225.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, mfitz804 said:

Today I did paint touch ups after having my house painted by what unfortunately turned out to be a very careless painting crew. 

Pics of the house?  Or at least just the color you chose?

On 7/24/2021 at 4:30 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Ribs look fantastic. My grill died over the winter and I haven't bothered replacing it yet because I don't particularly enjoy grilling. I've been on the fence about buying a nicer one so maybe I'll actually enjoy grilling for once lol

My father bought this thinfg, I think it's called Blackstone, that was like $100 or maybe $200 at most, and he swears by it.  It's a flat top grill that is really versatile - great for grilling, searing, even breakfast items, with very little mess.  It's real similar to what you would see at a hibachi place, where when you're done you just push the grease or mess into a hole which goes into a tray, then re-oil the top so it doesn't rust or stick, and you're good to go the next time you wanna cook.  It's also really lightweight and portable, and comes with some sweet compartments and hooks to store things.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Places with outdoor patio/seating will often let you bring your dog as long as it is well-behaved.  Our new dog is one of the best-behaved and chill dogs I have ever met so it's really no issue to bring him.  The below website is a good tool to check on what restaurants allow dogs.

https://www.bringfido.com/

I just assumed that was the norm around most areas these days, but maybe I forget that I live in FL with a pretty nice climate most of the year.  Down here there are tons of places with outdoor seating and people bring their dogs everywhere.  The only thing that bothers me is when people bring their dogs into a store, like the supermarket (assuming of course it's not a guide or service dog, which that is totally different).  I just don't want your smelly panting animal walking up and down the aisle with me unless you absolutely need him to live/function. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Personally I never watch trailers for movies I know I'm going to watch, hate having stuff spoiled when I absolutely know I'm gonna watch the movie. Trailers nowadays seem to give away way too much. 

I watched the tomorrow war with Chris Pratt the other day on Amazon Prime. Absolutely a mindless sci-fi action movie but the aliens were pretty cool and well done. 

Same here.  If I happen to see a trailer for a movie that I don't know about it might make me interested in seeing the movie itself, but on the flip side if I hear about a movie and think I might want to see it, I'm definitely not going to seek out the trailer because I don't want it to ruin any of the movie for me.  I like to be surprised and enjoy some suspense.

• Like 1

Own my own business (used to be a father-son venture, but he's been largely retired now for almost a decade)...we're an electrical engineering firm with two branches:  one on Hillsborough, NJ that largely handles automation and some industrial solar applications, and a second location in Colorado Springs that handles nothing but solar.  NJ branch started in 1985, and the CO branch fired up in 2010.  Would like to retire early if at all possible...I'm 51 and though I exercise strenuously and take good care of myself, the grind is wearing me down...some days getting out of bed is a real chore.  Looking forward to that day when almost all of my time is my own...hoping to enjoy that time while I'm still physically able.  

On a random topic, found this "map" of NJ...there's a pretty horrible misspelling of "Appalachian", but it's kinda sorta (humorously) accurate otherwise:

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

so what does everyone do for a living? mfitz is a lawyer, that’s the easiest guess ever. 

Yup. But I moonlight as a meme custodian. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a random topic, found this "map" of NJ...there's a pretty horrible misspelling of "Appalachian", but it's kinda sorta (humorously) accurate otherwise:

This seems accurate. Note there is no Central Jersey. Of course, no North or South either.