official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Holy sh!t…. I probably would’ve had a stroke 🤣

It definitely wasn’t real until that point. I wrote the builder a $30,000 deposit check, and that wasn’t real enough. Seeing the house destroyed was like, “OK, we’re really doing this”..

another interesting fact, we had a roof leak that we simply could not locate, and the whole roof needed to be replaced. We had put it off multiple times, trying to patch things, because we knew we wanted to do a roof raise anyway. The night before we moved out, there was a huge thunderstorm end it leaked so bad that the wood floor upstairs just outside of our bedroom, where there was no air-conditioning because we had window units, actually got warped from the water and the heat.

That would have been horrific and costly, but instead we just walked out the door and said fvck it, we don’t need that floor anymore anyway.

I will post another fun picture. We were at the house the night before renovations were about to start, taking down fixtures, and doing some last minute stuff. We didn’t really know what to do with my daughter at that time, because there was no TV, and all her stuff had been moved out. So we gave her a box of crayons that my wife used to carry in her bag and brought her to her bedroom. We gave her the biggest blank wall there was and told her that one time, and one time only she can absolutely go fvcking nuts on the wall. All these years later, she still talks about how fun that was.

A2087C81-57CD-43BE-80A8-04A2C925F563.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The comic is great (Jeff Lemire is one of favorite writers). I haven’t watched the series yet, but I heard they toned it down quite a bit, which kind of had me worried when I first saw the trailer. Seems like it’s been a hit though. Pretty sure it’s already been picked up for a second season. I’ll have to get to it eventually. 

@Jerzey have you watched The Immortal (Gomorrah prequel) yet? It’s out on HBO MAX now. 

Honestly I'd have to go back and read again to really compare. While I remember the general story its been quite a long time since I read it so the complete details are more fuzzy but I'd probably agree that is toned down a bit which really doesn't surprise me anyway.

What else have you been reading lately? 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

On the career/job thing, I’m a licensed health insurance agent; essentially, my job is to speak to mostly seniors and lower income folks over the phone and help them find out what Medicare Advantage health plan they may qualify for, and help them decide if it’s a good fit for their health situation. It’s simultaneously the most rewarding and aggravating job I’ve ever had; rewarding because I’m legit helping people who need it. Aggravating because of how uneducated and rude people can be. That wears you down when you’re making over 100 phone calls a day, five days a week lol. 

A few years ago I became an Aflac agent, trying to see if I liked something different and potentially more lucrative and with flexibility/freedom.  I made two sales over the course of a month or two of trying, but ultimately stopped because I couldn't juggle prospecting and all the other work involved while still doing my regular job, and it was also just not for me, but I am glad I tried it.  A 100% commission job just isn't for me, but I respect those who do it.  You have to have immense drive and determination, and thick skin so that the rejection doesn't get to you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

A few years ago I became an Aflac agent, trying to see if I liked something different and potentially more lucrative and with flexibility/freedom.  I made two sales over the course of a month or two of trying, but ultimately stopped because I couldn't juggle prospecting and all the other work involved while still doing my regular job, and it was also just not for me, but I am glad I tried it.  A 100% commission job just isn't for me, but I respect those who do it.  You have to have immense drive and determination, and thick skin so that the rejection doesn't get to you.

I could never do a 100% commission job, I need to know I have guaranteed income- so I don’t know how some people do it. Thankfully I’m a salaried full-timer at our agency getting a commission on each enrollment I submit, but we have 1099 agents all over the country that work strictly on commission. That sh!t’s not for everyone, that’s for sure lol. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The comic is great (Jeff Lemire is one of favorite writers). I haven’t watched the series yet, but I heard they toned it down quite a bit, which kind of had me worried when I first saw the trailer. Seems like it’s been a hit though. Pretty sure it’s already been picked up for a second season. I’ll have to get to it eventually. 

@Jerzey have you watched The Immortal (Gomorrah prequel) yet? It’s out on HBO MAX now. 

I just read the first 5 issues again, I read these originally back in 2010 so I'm cutting myself some slack here with my memory, I generally don't read anything twice but it's definitely very different from the show lol

I do enjoy both but in terms of story and plot the comic moves along way faster than the show does amongst other changes. TV show is definitely toned down too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Honestly I'd have to go back and read again to really compare. While I remember the general story its been quite a long time since I read it so the complete details are more fuzzy but I'd probably agree that is toned down a bit which really doesn't surprise me anyway.

What else have you been reading lately? 

I’ve actually been on a manga kick lately. Just got done reading a bunch of Junji Ito horror books (Uzumaki, Tomei, etc). I’m also trying to get caught up on Berserk. It’s such a bummer the creator (Kentaro Miura) just died without finishing it. That’s always a risk with getting into these unfinished series (looking at you GRRM). 

I mostly only read comics/graphic novels, but along with the A Song of Ice and Fire books one series I’m really into is Joe Abercrombie’s First Law. It’s actually where I took my username from. Good old Nicomo Cosca lol. There’s a new book coming out this September.

My #1 of all time is probably Cormack McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. I like the Dune books, too. Especially the first couple. I’m super hyped for the movie. Denis Villeneuve is one of my current favorite working directors. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I mostly only read comics/graphic novels, but along with the A Song of Ice and Fire books one series I’m really into is Joe Abercrombie’s First Law. It’s actually where I took my username from. Good old Nicomo Cosca lol. There’s a new book coming out this September.

My #1 of all time is probably Cormack McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. I like the Dune books, too. Especially the first couple. I’m super hyped for the movie. Denis Villeneuve is one of my current favorite working directors. 

i thought your name was from nico the nj devil lol. 

1 minute ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i thought your name was from nico the nj devil lol. 

Nope. I had this username before we even drafted Nico. I usually like to pick usernames that are somewhat close to my own name (Nick), so I went with Nicomo from First Law. Hilarious character. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I haven't been able to put down ASOIF in at least 3 years. I just keep re-reading in hopes that GRRM will actually finish the final 2. Not holding my breath. It's so funny reading those books, 90% of it is insanely well-written, descriptive, illustrative, gripping storytelling, and that last 10% is written like dimestore erotica lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I haven't been able to put down ASOIF in at least 3 years. I just keep re-reading in hopes that GRRM will actually finish the final 2. Not holding my breath. It's so funny reading those books, 90% of it is insanely well-written, descriptive, illustrative, gripping storytelling, and that last 10% is written like dimestore erotica lol

Haha his sex scenes are the WORST. 

18 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I'm reading The Road and a friend of mine recommended Blood Meridian.  I hear it's a tough read but great nonetheless.

• Like 1

A little feel-good story emerging from what could have been an incredible tragedy:

So late Thursday, we got word that a contract pilot we fly with had an accident when his personal plane crashed near a school not too far from where I live, but we didn't get much of anything information wise other than his wife and kid were on board and all were hospitalized with non-fatal injuries. Friday we found out whom and the extent of the injures, mainly from his sister-in-law posting updates, and it was looking dire.

Then this report came out about the accident: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2021/07/30/pensacola-plane-crash-pilot-tried-land-school-track-blue-angels-elementary/5428871001/

Then this morning, there was another update that the son is home from the hospital, the wife's recovering well from her surgeries and that Phil's going to have surgery later this week but is in good spirits.

Dude's a freaking even hero on top of being a multiple deployment combat vet.

• Like 2
  • Shocking 1

21 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve actually been on a manga kick lately. Just got done reading a bunch of Junji Ito horror books (Uzumaki, Tomei, etc). I’m also trying to get caught up on Berserk. It’s such a bummer the creator (Kentaro Miura) just died without finishing it. That’s always a risk with getting into these unfinished series (looking at you GRRM). 

Never really read any Manga but I love horror movies and comics so I'll have to check those Junjii Ito ones out.