official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

A little feel-good story emerging from what could have been an incredible tragedy:

So late Thursday, we got word that a contract pilot we fly with had an accident when his personal plane crashed near a school not too far from where I live, but we didn't get much of anything information wise other than his wife and kid were on board and all were hospitalized with non-fatal injuries. Friday we found out whom and the extent of the injures, mainly from his sister-in-law posting updates, and it was looking dire.

Then this report came out about the accident: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2021/07/30/pensacola-plane-crash-pilot-tried-land-school-track-blue-angels-elementary/5428871001/

Then this morning, there was another update that the son is home from the hospital, the wife's recovering well from her surgeries and that Phil's going to have surgery later this week but is in good spirits.

Dude's a freaking even hero on top of being a multiple deployment combat vet.

Good to hear they are ok. I'm not afraid of flying or heights but those small personal planes are not for me, always seem to come down way more often than anything else. Not that I'll ever have to worry about being one in anyway lol

Saw the Jungle Cruise movie, it was entertaining enough, like a mix of the Pirates and Mummy movies. CGI was absolutely putrid in some spots though. 

This isn't a spoiler but the opening with the Disney castle starts off with a re-done version of nothing else matters and there's a longer version later on, apparently Metallica did it themselves, I like it but was just so unexpected to hear this come over the Disney Castle lol... 

Edited by Satans Hockey

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Saw the Jungle Cruise movie, it was entertaining enough, like a mix of the Pirates and Mummy movies. CGI was absolutely putrid in some spots though. 

This isn't a spoiler but the opening with the Disney castle starts off with a re-done version of nothing else matters and there's a longer version later on, apparently Metallica did it themselves, I like it but was just so unexpected to hear this come over the Disney Castle lol... 

Going to go see this during the week. My family and I go to all Disney movies, we are fans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Never really read any Manga but I love horror movies and comics so I'll have to check those Junjii Ito ones out. 

It just takes some time to get used to the black and white (although lots of people have read Walking Dead) and also reading right to left, but after a while you’ll be able to switch back and forth between American comics and manga no problem. Lots of good stuff out there. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It just takes some time to get used to the black and white (although lots of people have read Walking Dead) and also reading right to left, but after a while you’ll be able to switch back and forth between American comics and manga no problem. Lots of good stuff out there. 

Love the walking dead series so black and white isn't an issue for me, neither is the right to left, it's more adding more things into my to read list when I'm usually way behind as it is lol Definitely gonna check out those 2 you mentioned though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MB3 said:

don't try to squat heavy weight on carpet! I know two separate people who ruptured their achilles squatting in a home gym that had a carpet floor. 

also this room is just the most confusing thing ever. carpet like it's a bedroom. washer and dryer. random ass kitchen-looking cabinets. a stone countertop seemingly for no reason at all. what is the function of this room?? 

That bar has zero weight on it, something tells me he isn’t squatting heavy weight. 

And yeah, all it needs is a toilet and shower and it’s every room in your house wrapped up into one. 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

don't try to squat heavy weight on carpet! I know two separate people who ruptured their achilles squatting in a home gym that had a carpet floor. 

also this room is just the most confusing thing ever. carpet like it's a bedroom. washer and dryer. random ass kitchen-looking cabinets. a stone countertop seemingly for no reason at all. what is the function of this room?? 

basement. it's built off leftover parts. that's why it looks goofy. 

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

toto fvckin rocks

Jeff Porcaro was one of THE best drummers ever to walk the planet…tons of studio credits beyond what he did with Toto (look them up and you’ll be stunned when you see how many songs he played on).  Was only 38 when he passed.

So tonight I dropped my daughter off at the studio where she takes theater classes, because the older kids (16-17 year olds compared to her at 14) are holding an open mic night. She wanted to go to be supportive. Ok, that’s nice of her, happy to drive her. 

Then she decided she would bring her sheet music just in case there was any opening for her to sing. Ok, good idea, I always tell her to be ready to go. 

Then I get a video of like 8 of the older kids singing background for her while she sings her solo on “Forever” from Shrek the Musical.  

This is what it’s like to be the parent of a theater kid, you honestly never know what’s going to happen other than that there will definitely be singing involved at some point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So tonight I dropped my daughter off at the studio where she takes theater classes, because the older kids (16-17 year olds compared to her at 14) are holding an open mic night. She wanted to go to be supportive. Ok, that’s nice of her, happy to drive her. 

Then she decided she would bring her sheet music just in case there was any opening for her to sing. Ok, good idea, I always tell her to be ready to go. 

Then I get a video of like 8 of the older kids singing background for her while she sings her solo on “Forever” from Shrek the Musical.  

This is what it’s like to be the parent of a theater kid, you honestly never know what’s going to happen other than that there will definitely be singing involved at some point. 

My nephew is a theatre kid. My sister was a theatre kid. I’m well versed in this area 🤣

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Was flipping around channels and saw this, tucking a jersey into jeans? Absolutely appalling... 20210807_144420.thumb.jpg.5140dbd9fd9e0f0ae1efb8c0b69aa4c2.jpg

I think that was a thing for about two minutes in the early 90’s 🤣🤣

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I remember mocking a dude in my dorm in ‘93 about this so you’re right about the 2 minutes if ever.   

Heh heh on this note, I remember being at a Devils-Flyers game back in the early 90s…some Flyer fan was wearing a #9 Eklund jersey that was not only tucked in, but might as well been made of spandex, it was that tight.  Some Devil fan kept razzing him about it until they almost came to blows, but somehow they backed off at the last second.  But yeah that was the weirdest jersey look I have seen at a game.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Was flipping around channels and saw this, tucking a jersey into jeans? Absolutely appalling... 20210807_144420.thumb.jpg.5140dbd9fd9e0f0ae1efb8c0b69aa4c2.jpg

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think that was a thing for about two minutes in the early 90’s 🤣🤣

I made the mistake of tucking my varsity football jersey into my jeans cause it was entirely too long, just so happened Varsity Blues was popular... I got called Mox for entirely too long

This was EARLY 2000s

• Haha 3

Any runners in the group?

Last weekend, I eclipsed the 620 mile mark for the year, surpassing my year total from last year, and marking the most I've ever run in a single year in my life, and it was only the end of July.

I always grew up HATING running because running was always a punishment in sports. But the only way I could shed any weight in order to meet the upper limit for the military was to force myself to run (for my height, it was 181 lbs, I was around 200 then). Me and my best friend were in the same boat, knowing we needed to get in shape badly so we pushed each other. As a result, I got hooked and she keeps needing me to reminder her to run. Today, I'm back around my weight when I graduated high school, probably about the same minus the lifting strength.

Running my 4th half marathon of the year in October (if not sooner), and I'm hoping to run a full marathon next year (target goal of the Air Force Marathon at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio) if not the Marine Corps one in Virginia

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Any runners in the group?

Last weekend, I eclipsed the 620 mile mark for the year, surpassing my year total from last year, and marking the most I've ever run in a single year in my life, and it was only the end of July.

I always grew up HATING running because running was always a punishment in sports. But the only way I could shed any weight in order to meet the upper limit for the military was to force myself to run (for my height, it was 181 lbs, I was around 200 then). Me and my best friend were in the same boat, knowing we needed to get in shape badly so we pushed each other. As a result, I got hooked and she keeps needing me to reminder her to run. Today, I'm back around my weight when I graduated high school, probably about the same minus the lifting strength.

Running my 4th half marathon of the year in October (if not sooner), and I'm hoping to run a full marathon next year (target goal of the Air Force Marathon at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio) if not the Marine Corps one in Virginia

I’m a speedwalker.  I average about 10.7 mi per day.