official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How “Rated R” was it? Mostly just violence or sex content?

Harley has a sex scene but there’s no nudity. Lots of sexual jokes and references though. John Cena literally has a line where he says he’d eat an entire beach full of dicks for liberty lol. Most of the R rating probably comes from the over the top violence and language, but there’s enough that I probably wouldn’t recommend watching it with your daughter. 

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Harley has a sex scene but there’s no nudity. Lots of sexual jokes and references though. John Cena literally has a line where he says he’d eat an entire beach full of dicks for liberty lol. Most of the R rating probably comes from the over the top violence and language, but there’s enough that I probably wouldn’t recommend watching it with your daughter. 

Sounds about right, thanks. 14 is a weird age in terms of finding appropriate content. 

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The Suicide Squad was a blast. James Gunn is the man. 

I thought it was fine but it was absolutely a 1 watch and never again for me. I think Gunns humor is simply not for me, I thought the mom joke was extremely cringe instead of funny and they kept going back to it over and over. A lot of the movie actually gave me Doom Patrol meets Guardians of the Galaxy vibes. They tried to make King Shark like Drax. 

I fully admit I don't like John Cena and never have nor will so I hate seeing him in anything. Elba was fun as Bloodsport though. Viola Davis is the perfect Amanda Waller though, I hope they keep using her going forward if they keep doing more movies. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There's brief nudity in other scenes of both sexes but yeah I definitely wouldn't recommended this for younger kids either. 

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's brief nudity in other scenes of both sexes but yeah I definitely wouldn't recommended this for younger kids either. 

The fighting and violence I don’t really care about, we watch Marvel stuff, even horror movies, but the sex content is something I prefer she not be exposed to. As I said, it’s a tough age, they don’t want to watch kid stuff any more but adult stuff is sometimes too adult. 

I’ll likely watch it by myself, since it’s on HBO Max. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The fighting and violence I don’t really care about, we watch Marvel stuff, even horror movies, but the sex content is something I prefer she not be exposed to. As I said, it’s a tough age, they don’t want to watch kid stuff any more but adult stuff is sometimes too adult. 

I’ll likely watch it by myself, since it’s on HBO Max. 

The violence was definitely kicked up quite a few notches in this, definitely not comparable to anything Marvel wise to me that I can think of. What horror movies have ya been watching together lately? 

Sweet Tooth on Netflix seems like it would be a good one for a family, not really a light and fluffy show but not too dark either. It's a bit timely too considering a big plot point is a virus. 

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The violence was definitely kicked up quite a few notches in this, definitely not comparable to anything Marvel wise to me that I can think of. What horror movies have ya been watching together lately? 

We have been watching The Conjuring series. Scary, violent, but not sexually inappropriate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We have been watching The Conjuring series. Scary, violent, but not sexually inappropriate. 

I've actually been going through all those too, finished The Curse of La Llorona recently so just have the 3rd Annabelle and 3rd Conjuring to go. They are all pretty much the same formula but I still enjoy them. The nun was definitely the worst one to me so far but the Conjuring 1&2 and Annabelle comes homes have been the ones I liked the most. 

Also really looking forward to the new Child's Play tv series on Syfy coming out in October. 

This is super off-topic for even the off-topic thread, but one thing that has really been peeving me lately. Me and my brother are both congruently re-watching The Sopranos and it really pisses me off how many people think that the ending was ambiguous. They were beating you over the head with foreshadowing Tony's assassination that WHOLE season and they even have a shot of the freaking hitman sitting at the diner bar! Tony is dead!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This is super off-topic for even the off-topic thread, but one thing that has really been peeving me lately. Me and my brother are both congruently re-watching The Sopranos and it really pisses me off how many people think that the ending was ambiguous. They were beating you over the head with foreshadowing Tony's assassination that WHOLE season and they even have a shot of the freaking hitman sitting at the diner bar! Tony is dead!

I’ve felt the same way since the show ended. Never understood why anyone was upset with it. What were they supposed to do, show his brutal execution and then roll credits?

Speaking of the greatest show ever (yes it’s better than Breaking Bad and The Wire, don’t  @ me), the Talking Sopranos podcast has been excellent. Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa really play off each other well. I particularly enjoy Imperioli. He’s just a wealth of movie, music, etc knowledge. They’ve had tons of great guests on already, and we still have at least one big one left in Steven Van Zandt. I’m definitely going to miss it when their re-watch is over (they’re already on S6 part I).

Hopefully they’ll do an episode for The Many Saints of Newark. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of the greatest show ever (yes it’s better than Breaking Bad and The Wire, don’t  @ me), the Talking Sopranos podcast has been excellent. Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa really play off each other well. I particularly enjoy Imperioli. He’s just a wealth of movie, music, etc knowledge. They’ve had tons of great guests on already, and we still have at least one big one left in Steven Van Zandt. I’m definitely going to miss it when their re-watch is over (they’re already on S6 part I).

Definitely gonna have to check that out, my podcast lineup has been getting a little stale lately. Also last night, Trevor Moore of The Whitest Kids U Know suddenly died in some unspecified accident and I really like watching their Livestreams throughout the pandemic, that one hit me really hard. 

This is our friend Pistachio. He’s a mini Australian Labradoodle that belongs to a friend of ours. They had to go to a wake in North Carolina the first week of July, so he came to stay with us for 5 days. 

Literally the most well behaved dog I have ever seen. So much so that we told them he was always welcome back. 

Well, they went to the Jersey Shore for a few days, so Pistachio is back in the house. He really is a lot of fun, loves to play ball, but hates to eat. We’re told that’s pretty much his personality, it’s not that he’s out of routine. Just leave the dish out and he will eat it eventually. Which he does. 

I cropped my wife out because she likes posting her picture online less than I do. I’m not sure why her hand looks so deformed, but it’s not. 

7488EFF5-18B4-491B-9C81-56F57B8BE0B3.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve felt the same way since the show ended. Never understood why anyone was upset with it. What were they supposed to do, show his brutal execution and then roll credits?

I bet people expected the American Beauty ending, minus the monologue over it.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That has been a great podcast. I just rewatched the show this year so the episodes have been pretty fresh in my mind. They go into some really good detail

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This is our friend Pistachio. He’s a mini Australian Labradoodle that belongs to a friend of ours. They had to go to a wake in North Carolina the first week of July, so he came to stay with us for 5 days. 

Literally the most well behaved dog I have ever seen. So much so that we told them he was always welcome back. 

Well, they went to the Jersey Shore for a few days, so Pistachio is back in the house. He really is a lot of fun, loves to play ball, but hates to eat. We’re told that’s pretty much his personality, it’s not that he’s out of routine. Just leave the dish out and he will eat it eventually. Which he does. 

I cropped my wife out because she likes posting her picture online less than I do. I’m not sure why her hand looks so deformed, but it’s not. 

7488EFF5-18B4-491B-9C81-56F57B8BE0B3.jpeg

Pistachio is a pretty great name lol. 

Edited by Nicomo

On 8/6/2021 at 5:33 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jeff Porcaro was one of THE best drummers ever to walk the planet…tons of studio credits beyond what he did with Toto (look them up and you’ll be stunned when you see how many songs he played on).  Was only 38 when he passed.

The whole band are studio guys. Steve Lukather played on a ton of stuff through the years.  JEff was such an amazing drummer sad he died so young. Their 3rd record Turn Back is an underrated record.

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So, okay, one of the funniest stories of my life is unfolding before my eyes and I want to share it.

I had a buddy in college who had a major crush on this girl who was a stone cold 10. My buddy is a 6 on a good day. She was a year older than us, but in our english class. The 3 of us became good friends, always grabbing lunch together after english. One day, very jokingly she made fun of his outfit which consisted of a navy blue tank top, lime green shorts and orange shoes. He got really quiet and said he didn't realize they were off, he was color blind. My buddy and I walk back to my car and I'm saying "dude I had no idea!" and he said oh no, I was just messing around, I'll tell her tomorrow it was a joke. 

So the next day she comes to class and she baked him a cake to apologize. Sweet girl. And he's the most awkward little dude ever so he just figured oh whatever, a little white lie never hurt anyone, I can pretend to be color blind. You can probably see where this is going. As it happens to beautiful girls and funny guys, they start dating. She falls hard, moves with him to south carolina after graduation and they get married in 2017. Awesome guy. They just celebrated their 4 year anniversary on friday! He got her a diamond necklace. She got him a $900 pair of "allow colorblind people to see colors" glasses. Had all of his friends and family on facebook live so we could all "watch Nick see color for the first time!". The whole time he's going "... ohhh... wow.... the grass is so beautiful... oh.... my god..." and I was HOWLING laughing. I guess the joke / white lie got too deeply rooted where he was never ready to untangle it. He called me yesterday and said "my entire weekend was driving around with her to new places with these ugly fvcking glasses on pretending to be amazed that the booths in the Friendlys are red." 

He will spend the next several years of his life wearing these gaudy glasses and I haven't stopped thinking about it or laughing about it since. 

This is the best story ever. Other than getting a useless $900 gift lol. 

27 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So, okay, one of the funniest stories of my life is unfolding before my eyes and I want to share it.

I had a buddy in college who had a major crush on this girl who was a stone cold 10. My buddy is a 6 on a good day. She was a year older than us, but in our english class. The 3 of us became good friends, always grabbing lunch together after english. One day, very jokingly she made fun of his outfit which consisted of a navy blue tank top, lime green shorts and orange shoes. He got really quiet and said he didn't realize they were off, he was color blind. My buddy and I walk back to my car and I'm saying "dude I had no idea!" and he said oh no, I was just messing around, I'll tell her tomorrow it was a joke. 

So the next day she comes to class and she baked him a cake to apologize. Sweet girl. And he's the most awkward little dude ever so he just figured oh whatever, a little white lie never hurt anyone, I can pretend to be color blind. You can probably see where this is going. As it happens to beautiful girls and funny guys, they start dating. She falls hard, moves with him to south carolina after graduation and they get married in 2017. Awesome guy. They just celebrated their 4 year anniversary on friday! He got her a diamond necklace. She got him a $900 pair of "allow colorblind people to see colors" glasses. Had all of his friends and family on facebook live so we could all "watch Nick see color for the first time!". The whole time he's going "... ohhh... wow.... the grass is so beautiful... oh.... my god..." and I was HOWLING laughing. I guess the joke / white lie got too deeply rooted where he was never ready to untangle it. He called me yesterday and said "my entire weekend was driving around with her to new places with these ugly fvcking glasses on pretending to be amazed that the booths in the Friendlys are red." 

He will spend the next several years of his life wearing these gaudy glasses and I haven't stopped thinking about it or laughing about it since. 

At least she can't say he isn't committed if she ever finds out lmfao