official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

Trying to think if there was every anything like this that I told my wife that I have had to keep up for all these years, and I am happy to say that after celebrating our 20th anniversary last week, I have no such secrets. 

Wait, does that mean that SHE does???

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:15 AM, Nicomo said:

The comic is great (Jeff Lemire is one of favorite writers). I haven’t watched the series yet, but I heard they toned it down quite a bit, which kind of had me worried when I first saw the trailer. Seems like it’s been a hit though. Pretty sure it’s already been picked up for a second season. I’ll have to get to it eventually. 

@Jerzey have you watched The Immortal (Gomorrah prequel) yet? It’s out on HBO MAX now. 

I finally got through season 3 and I’m on episode 4 of season 4. Each season feels a little different from the previous one in a good way. Honestly this show is top 10 all time for me.

And even know I pretty much knew it was coming…

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

I like Enzo, and completely understand his anger, but I want Genny to get him. And that goddamn Valerio.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Definitely gonna have to check that out, my podcast lineup has been getting a little stale lately. Also last night, Trevor Moore of The Whitest Kids U Know suddenly died in some unspecified accident and I really like watching their Livestreams throughout the pandemic, that one hit me really hard. 

That really sucked seeing that he died. I stumbled across The Whitest Kids U Know randomly years ago and thought it was brilliant. I couldn't believe it wasn't more well known. 

Unfortunately i also found out that one of the guys i did stand-up with passed away on Saturday as well so it was a pretty crap weekend for comedy for me. 

Here is a quick funny story that came to my mind this weekend:

Back when my older brother and I were in school, my mom went to the Back to School nights most years.  She hated it but went because she felt obligated to.  However, once in a while, she would nag my father into doing it.  My dad hated doing it more than my mom to say the least.  Back in 1992, my dad was to go to Back to School night for my brother (he was a sophmore IIRC).  He comes back home later in the night, said it went well, and that was that.  What we later found out was that he really went to the first 1-2 periods before ducking out and going to the local bar.  At the bar, a reporter for the local weekly newspaper came up to him to ask him for a quote about the upcoming election.  He gave a quote.  Well later that week we got the newspaper and my mom sees in the article quote he gave and the date that was listed as when as well as where he was asked.  He got caught red-handed and let's just say my mom read him the riot act that night.

He thought he was slick.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I finally got through season 3 and I’m on episode 4 of season 4. Each season feels a little different from the previous one in a good way. Honestly this show is top 10 all time for me.

And even know I pretty much knew it was coming…

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

I like Enzo, and completely understand his anger, but I want Genny to get him. And that goddamn Valerio.

Same. Now I’m off to listen to this for the millionth time…

Edited by Nicomo

On 8/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, Satans Hockey said:

The violence was definitely kicked up quite a few notches in this, definitely not comparable to anything Marvel wise to me that I can think of. What horror movies have ya been watching together lately? 

So the last two nights we watched The Nun and the Curse of La Llorona. I actually thought The Nun was better. 

We were only minutes in to La Llorona before I realized how well it fits into The Knacks’ “My Sharona”. So I turn to my daughter and I sing “Why’d you have to drown your CHILD, LLARONA”. And so it continued. 

Mom pours a giant glass of wine:

My daughter: Why’d you make me drink so much WINE, LLARONA?”

Mom thrown against the wall:

Me: Why’d you have to shatter my SPINE, LLARONA?” 

And so on. 

Edited by mfitz804
Incorrect band identification.
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So the last two nights we watched The Nun and the Curse of La Llorona. I actually thought The Nun was better. 

We were only minutes in to La Llorona before I realized how well it fits into The Kinks’ “My Sharona”. So I turn to my daughter and I sing “Why’d you have to drown your CHILD, LLARONA”. And so it continued. 

Mom pours a giant glass of wine:

My daughter: Why’d you make me drink so much WINE, LLARONA?”

Mom thrown against the wall:

Me: Why’d you have to shatter my SPINE, LLARONA?” 

And so on. 

You mean the Knack.

So last weekend the SiriusXM station 80's on 8 had a special to celebrate the 40th anniversary of MTV.  In addition to a reunion of the original (living) VJ's, they also played the first videos shown on MTV in order.  I have known this for years, but they stated again that the only place that got MTV on that first night was a part of northern NJ as very few cable systems carried them (cable was still a pretty new thing back then).

Also, here is the list of the first 25 music videos they played that night.  It was heavy on guys like The Who and Rod Stewart because not many bands were making music videos back then so their library was very limited and those bands already made a bunch.  I know most of the songs but a few evade me.

1. “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles
  2. “You Better Run" by Pat Benatar
  3. “She Won't Dance With Me" by Rod Stewart
  4. “You Better You Bet" by The Who
  5. "Little Suzi's on the Up" by Ph. D.
  6. "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard
  7. “Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders
  8. “Time Heals" by Todd Rundgren
  9. “Take It on the Run” by REO Speedwagon
  10. “Rockin’ the Paradise” by Styx
  11. "When Things Go Wrong" by Robin Lane and the Chartbusters
  12. "History Never Repeats" by Split Enz
  13. “Hold On Loosely” by 38 Special
  14. “Just Between You and Me” by April Wine
  15. “Sailing” by Rod Stewart
  16. “Iron Maiden” by Iron Maiden
  17. “Keep On Loving You” by REO Speedwagon
  18. “Bluer Than Blue” by Michael Johnson
  19. “Message of Love” by The Pretenders
  20. “Mr. Briefcase” by Lee Ritenour
  21. “Double Life” by The Cars
  22. “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
  23. “Looking for Clues” by Robert Palmer
  24. “Too Late” by Shoes
  25. “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I knew #1 (everyone does), #2, and #8 off that list, in terms of what songs were played when.  I remember a good chunk of the each song's video.

I'll admit it, I don't remember hearing #5, #11, #15, #18, #20, #21, or #24...and I'm usually really good at knowing songs.  I'll have to give them a listen, to see if they conjure up any memories.

You had your share of "Out There" videos in the early days..."Fish Heads", a lot of the earlier Devo stuff, etc.  "Whip It" actually brought in a new legion of fans that Devo wanted nothing to do with...they responded with "We're Through Bein' Cool".  I was 11 years old when MTV made its debut, and it just exploded so quickly...the video library just blew up.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I knew #1 (everyone does), #2, and #8 off that list, in terms of what songs were played when.  I remember a good chunk of the each song's video.

I'll admit it, I don't remember hearing #5, #11, #15, #18, #20, #21, or #24...and I'm usually really good at knowing songs.  I'll have to give them a listen, to see if they conjure up any memories.

You had your share of "Out There" videos in the early days..."Fish Heads", a lot of the earlier Devo stuff, etc.  "Whip It" actually brought in a new legion of fans that Devo wanted nothing to do with...they responded with "We're Through Bein' Cool".  I was 11 years old when MTV made its debut, and it just exploded so quickly...the video library just blew up.  

Our neighborhood did not get cable until late in the process, and my parents didn't sign up until a couple years after that. I believe it was somewhere around 1988 or 1989. 

I still knew #1 on the list. 

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

#5 was the first song where I had no clue as to what it was.  It was my first time hearing it and it seemed to be one of those novelty songs like Fish Heads.

The VJ's on the show repeatedly said early on they had the issue with actually finding enough videos to play.  That's why a lot of garbage got played in the first 1-3 years on MTV until the labels could catch up to producing them.  A lot of the early videos were glorified "live" performances that were recorded that were used to air at random times as filler on TV to promote bands pre-MTV.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Our neighborhood did not get cable until late in the process, and my parents didn't sign up until a couple years after that. I believe it was somewhere around 1988 or 1989. 

I still knew #1 on the list. 

My family first got cable I would say around 1989-90ish.  Back then the local provider was TKR (was bought by Cablevision in the 95-97 timeframe) and the "basic" cable package was about 38 channels.  That was huge compared to the 8-10 channels we got via antenna (I remember when my dad took down the antenna from our roof right when we got cable).  Naturally I had a friend in school whose family got satellite TV around that time which back then meant that they had to install a TV satellite in their backyard that was a solid 5-7 feet in diameter.  They got about 200ish channels which completely blew me away.  I thought that with that many channels there would always be something on and no need to leave the house lol.

A couple years back my brother and I were telling my nephew (he was about 12 at the time) about how before PPV on TV, in order to watch live events like Wrestlemania you had to go to a place that was showing it via closed circuit TV.  I remember going to one and that was at the very tail end of when that was popular and my nephew was blown away by the fact that you actually had to literally find a place that had it, travel to it, pay to get in and watch with other people a live event on PPV (one local theater had it IIRC).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I'm going to get a legitimate golf fitting this week. Place is called TrueSpec Golf. Has anyone done something like this before? Not just a Dick's / Golf Superstore type of a fitting, but a total brand agnostic, track-man based full bag fitting.

I'm stoked,

How much is that going to run you?

I recently changed my grip because everything I've been hitting is drawing hard and I feel like an absolute buffoon trying to swing the club now.  Not even like, this feels weird, just do it 30 times, but I just can't swing it anymore.  I'm too in tune with the feeling of where the club face is during my "comfortable" swing. I feel like I've completely lost everything about my swing this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

I'm going to get a legitimate golf fitting this week. Place is called TrueSpec Golf. Has anyone done something like this before? Not just a Dick's / Golf Superstore type of a fitting, but a total brand agnostic, track-man based full bag fitting.

I'm stoked,

Yeah there used to be a golf shop right up the road from me here called Jeff’s Golf Shop. The last time I bought a full set of irons about 10 years ago, I got fitted there. It’s the best way to go when buying clubs for sure. Posted my bag below with my trusty Callaway Diablo irons and wedges.  

B59C4F83-66F1-443C-8729-695321C25F52.jpeg

22 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

#5 was the first song where I had no clue as to what it was.  It was my first time hearing it and it seemed to be one of those novelty songs like Fish Heads.

The VJ's on the show repeatedly said early on they had the issue with actually finding enough videos to play.  That's why a lot of garbage got played in the first 1-3 years on MTV until the labels could catch up to producing them.  A lot of the early videos were glorified "live" performances that were recorded that were used to air at random times as filler on TV to promote bands pre-MTV.

Yeah I remember the early days very well…you saw a lot of the same videos if you watched more than a couple of hours…there just wasn’t many of them in the beginning.  There were some “instrumental” filler videos with what felt like random images, with the MTV logo in the corner, just to help fill the time.  There were some artists who really detested making videos…Joe Jackson (“Steppin’ Out”) was one of them, and he later admitted that he wished he’d embraced the medium much more than he was willing to at the time.

Stevie Nicks’ first video for “Stand Back” actually tried to tell a story, set in the Old West (edit…in the South, Civil War era)…she scrapped it, more or less saying “I’m not a friggin’ actress, I’m a singer!”  She then happily went with a simple performance video, full of a bunch of 80s dancers.  But that’s what some musicians didn’t like about making videos…once the concepts evolved beyond simple lip-syncing and pretend-playing, and became more like mini-movies with acting and even occasional dialogue, some bands were far less comfortable being in front of the cameras.  

The video shoot for #2 on the list ("You Better Run" by Pat Benatar) was rather contentious...another issue was that some bands had not yet become accustomed to "performing under direction while being shot on camera"...a much different experience than jamming out, or playing out in clubs, stadiums, and arenas.  Benatar and the band was used to performing in their own style, while the director was telling her "No, do this, now do that..."  Finally she decided "Well, I'm pissed off anyway now, so I'll play it pissed."  And being that it's an angrier song to begin with, it wound up working.  But some bands who were used to performing "their way" (in some cases for several years) in front of fans quickly found video shoots (where most of the time they were only pretending to perform anyway, and depending on the director were not truly allowed to be themselves) very tedious...especially since of course, each video shoot requires shooting the song again and again and again, for close-ups, different camera angles, etc.  Some bands even took a "All right, if we're gonna do this, let's just shoot 2-3 songs using the same set, on the same day" approach, just to get it over with.

Some artists had absolute nightmare experiences with videos...one of the best-known disasters is Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite".  Squire had a look and vibe that was considered pretty cool at the time...had the whole T-shirt and jeans, tough-guy thing going.  "Rock Me Tonite" saw him prancing around in very cheesy 80s attire (made even worse by the fact that Squier wasn't exactly known for finger-snappin dance skills), and some of his fans found the whole concept way too homoerotic for their tastes, and the fallout was swift and immediate...he was on tour at the time, and suddenly his shows were only selling about half the available seats.  He fired both of his managers, and has long held a grudge against the individual who directed the video (Kenny Ortega).  Squier's career never fully recovered...of course, some have wondered aloud why he didn't just kill the video before it could be released, and one of Squier's managers (before being sacked later) apparently tried to do just that, but it was Squier's label (Capitol) that had final say, and they simply refused.  No winners in that one.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think it's only a matter of time now before the rest or the NJ arenas/stadiums will end up doing the same... 

I really don’t know how this wasn’t common sense. Every aspect of this virus has been initially mishandled.

The numbers go down because everyone was wearing masks and some people got vaccinated.

How is the response to that “no more masks, but only if you are vaccinated, but nobody will ever ask you if you are or not, so really just do whatever the fvck you want and hope for the best” ? That was the official policy of New York and a bunch of other places. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I really don’t know how this wasn’t common sense. Every aspect of this virus has been initially mishandled.

The numbers go down because everyone was wearing masks and some people got vaccinated.

How is the response to that “no more masks, but only if you are vaccinated, but nobody will ever ask you if you are or not, so really just do whatever the fvck you want and hope for the best” ? That was the official policy of New York and a bunch of other places. 

Winnipeg Jets are requiring it, sometimes I don't know where to post this stuff so this thread seems more suited for it cause it's more of a world topic than related to hockey... 

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I remember the early days very well…you saw a lot of the same videos if you watched more than a couple of hours…there just wasn’t many of them in the beginning.  There were some “instrumental” filler videos with what felt like random images, with the MTV logo in the corner, just to help fill the time.  There were some artists who really detested making videos…Joe Jackson (“Steppin’ Out”) was one of them, and he later admitted that he wished he’d embraced the medium much more than he was willing to at the time.

Stevie Nicks’ first video for “Stand Back” actually tried to tell a story, set in the Old West (edit…in the South, Civil War era)…she scrapped it, more or less saying “I’m not a friggin’ actress, I’m a singer!”  She then happily went with a simple performance video, full of a bunch of 80s dancers.  But that’s what some musicians didn’t like about making videos…once the concepts evolved beyond simple lip-syncing and pretend-playing, and became more like mini-movies with acting and even occasional dialogue, some bands were far less comfortable being in front of the cameras.  

The video shoot for #2 on the list ("You Better Run" by Pat Benatar) was rather contentious...another issue was that some bands had to become accustomed to "performing under direction while being shot on camera"...a much different experience than jamming out, or playing out in clubs, stadiums, and arenas.  Benatar and the band was used to performing in their own style, while the director was telling her "No, do this, now do that..."  Finally she decided "Well, I'm pissed off anyway now, so I'll play it pissed."  And being that it's an angrier song to begin with, it wound up working.  But some bands who were used to performing "their way" (in some cases for several years) in front of fans quickly found video shoots (where most of the time they were only pretending to perform anyway, and depending on the director were not truly allowed to be themselves) very tedious...especially since of course, each video shoot requires shooting the song again and again and again, for close-ups, different camera angles, etc.  Some bands even took a "All right, if we're gonna do this, let's just shoot 2-3 songs using the same set, on the same day" approach, just to get it over with.

Some artists had absolute nightmare experiences with videos...one of the best-known disasters is Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite".  Squire had a look and vibe that was considered pretty cool at the time...had the whole T-shirt and jeans, tough-guy thing going.  "Rock Me Tonite" saw him prancing around in very cheesy 80s attire (made even worse by the fact that Squier wasn't exactly known for finger-snappin dance skills), and some of his fans found the whole concept way too homoerotic for their tastes, and the fallout was swift and immediate...he was on tour at the time, and suddenly his shows were only selling about half the available seats.  He fired both of his managers, and has long held a grudge against the individual who directed the video (Kenny Ortega).  Squier's career never fully recovered...of course, some have wondered aloud why he didn't just kill the video before it could be released, and one of Squier's managers (before being sacked later) apparently tried to do just that, but it was Squier's label (Capitol) that had final say, and they simply refused.  No winners in that one.   

It also revolutionized the music industry where now rock singers had to look a certain way.  For example, Christopher Cross has said many times over the years that the minute MTV launched he knew his career was over.  He said the worst thing that could have happened to him was to find that the voice behind his music belonged to a guy who looked like him.  Unfortunately, he was right.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

It also revolutionized the music industry where now rock singers had to look a certain way.  For example, Christopher Cross has said many times over the years that the minute MTV launched he knew his career was over.  He said the worst thing that could have happened to him was to find that the voice behind his music belonged to a guy who looked like him.  Unfortunately, he was right.

Yeah I was going to mention that too (I was thinking of him specifically in fact)...suddenly (for the most part) you had to have looks and some kind of fashion sense to go along with your talent, because now everyone could see you...and as we well know, sometimes the "talent" (or obvious lack thereof) took a clear backseat to actual singing ability.

Martha Wash might be one of the best singers that not nearly enough people have heard of...mostly because of her looks (she's a big gal and not, well, "hot")...her first hit "It's Raining Men" came as one of the Weather Girls.  If you've ever heard Rebbie Jackson's "Centipede" (from the 80s, written for her by her brother Michael, who also provided some backup vocals), the woman hitting the big notes at the end is Wash.  Black Box's "Everybody Everybody" and "Strike It Up" (among others) are also sung by her...but in using some Milli Vanilli chicanery, Black Box's label hired French model Katrin Quinol for album covers, music videos, and to lip-sync during concerts...fans were clearly being led to believe that Quinol was the one actually singing Black Box songs.  The same thing happened when she provided the "Everybody Dance Now!" vocals for C+C Music Factory...Zelma Davis was brought in to fake it for the cameras, and make the "band" easier on the eyes.

I admit it, I hate that sh!t...I can't say I'm some huge fan of that style of music, but the woman can friggin' belt it out, and has tons of ability...is it really so bad for people to see who's actually doing the heavy lifting?