official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

46 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I know it gets a lot of sh!t, but Back to the Future Pt. 3 is an awesome movie

It doesn't hold a candle to the first one (the second one doesn't either, to be fair).  The third one is kind of a...decent western I guess?  The funny thing is Hill Valley didn't feel remotely like a desert area in the first two movies, which made BTTF3 feel a little forced.  And the whole Clara - Doc romance was played a bit too goofy...also seemed odd that Clara would go for someone SO much older...sure, she was a bit awkward to begin with, but still.

I love the first one and like the others for what they are, but all three films become very easy to pick apart (the sequels are part of the problem).  How is it that no one from the 50s ever recognizes Marty in later years (especially since he didn't exactly go unnoticed in 1955)?  Wouldn't his parents at some point say "Man, our kid sure looks a lot like that guy who was in high school with us for about a week...even sounds just like him!"  Biff also had his run-ins with him...wouldn't HE remember him too?

When Marty goes back to the "New Improved" version of 1985 (BTTF1), would his now much-more-successful parents still live in the same exact house in Lyon Estates?  The beginning of the movie makes Lyons Estates look kinda lower middle class...if his parents' life is on a better trajectory, in terms of finances, wouldn't they be living in a fancier neighborhood?  And of course, what are they chances that they have the exact same children at the same times?  I know these movies aren't meant to be looked into too too deeply (and time travel movies are always filled with paradoxes), but that's why BTTF1 might have been better off without any sequels.

And of course, the ultimate contradiction, right at the end of BTTF1...multiple times Doc warns Marty about knowing too much about his own future...so what does he do?  Come back to 1985 from 2015, where he immediately tells Marty that he's going to be married to his current girlfriend and that they'll have kids sometime in the future.  That's a hell of a lot to know about your own future I'd say, especially for a couple of high schoolers, heh heh.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It doesn't hold a candle to the first one (the second one doesn't either, to be fair).  The third one is kind of a...decent western I guess?  The funny thing is Hill Valley didn't feel remotely like a desert area in the first two movies, which made BTTF3 feel a little forced.  And the whole Clara - Doc romance was played a bit too goofy...also seemed odd that Clara would go for someone SO much older...sure, she was a bit awkward to begin with, but still.

I love the first one and like the others for what they are, but all three films become very easy to pick apart (the sequels are part of the problem).  How is it that no one from the 50s ever recognizes Marty in later years (especially since he didn't exactly go unnoticed in 1955)?  Wouldn't his parents at some point say "Man, our kid sure looks a lot like that guy who was in high school with us for about a week...even sounds just like him!"  Biff also had his run-ins with him...wouldn't HE remember him too?

When Marty goes back to the "New Improved" version of 1985 (BTTF1), would his now much-more-successful parents still live in the same exact house in Lyon Estates?  The beginning of the movie makes Lyons Estates look kinda lower middle class...if his parents' life is on a better trajectory, in terms of finances, wouldn't they be living in a fancier neighborhood?  And of course, what are they chances that they have the exact same children at the same times?  I know these movies aren't meant to be looked into too too deeply (and time travel movies are always filled with paradoxes), but that's why BTTF1 might have been better off without any sequels.

And of course, the ultimate contradiction, right at the end of BTTF1...multiple times Doc warns Marty about knowing too much about his own future...so what does he do?  Come back to 1985 from 2015, where he immediately tells Marty that he's going to be married to his current girlfriend and that they'll have kids sometime in the future.  That's a hell of a lot to know about your own future I'd say, especially for a couple of high schoolers, heh heh.    

I like that the fact that a weirdo scientist built a time machine into a DeLorean after hitting his head on the sink is a perfectly acceptable notion to you, but you have all of these other issues with likelihood and continuity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like that the fact that a weirdo scientist built a time machine into a DeLorean after hitting his head on the sink is a perfectly acceptable notion to you, but you have all of these other issues with likelihood and continuity. 

Not even gonna try to defend myself on this one.  Cause it's kinda impossible.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not even gonna try to defend myself on this one.  Cause it's kinda impossible.  

It’s fine, I can’t get past the first 10 minutes of Home Alone without questioning why they ordered 10 pizzas for 15 people the night before leaving for Paris. A pizza has 8 slices , that means 5.33 slices for each person, including the youngest of the children. 

I can eat, and I top out at 3, maybe 4 if they were cut small. More likely, it’s 2 or 3, especially if I am flying to Paris the following morning, I’m not going to overeat and make myself sick. 

None of the girl children nor the adult women are eating 5 slices of pizza. Kevin is 8 and only eats plain cheese pizza, he isn’t eating more than 3, more likely 2. Same for Fuller. 

Even if the dad, Uncle Frank, and the two oldest boys ate 5 slices each, which is incredibly unlikely, there still would have been a sh!t ton of pizza left over, and they were leaving in the morning. 

Any reasonable family would not have spent $122.50 plus tip on 10 pizzas the night before going to Paris. They could have ordered 6 pies and been done, and they still would have been throwing some away. 

But yeah, an 8 year old can totally defend his house from a couple of seasoned criminals by setting booby traps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s fine, I can’t get past the first 10 minutes of Home Alone without questioning why they ordered 10 pizzas for 15 people the night before leaving for Paris. A pizza has 8 slices , that means 5.33 slices for each person, including the youngest of the children. 

I can eat, and I top out at 3, maybe 4 if they were cut small. More likely, it’s 2 or 3, especially if I am flying to Paris the following morning, I’m not going to overeat and make myself sick. 

None of the girl children nor the adult women are eating 5 slices of pizza. Kevin is 8 and only eats plain cheese pizza, he isn’t eating more than 3, more likely 2. Same for Fuller. 

Even if the dad, Uncle Frank, and the two oldest boys ate 5 slices each, which is incredibly unlikely, there still would have been a sh!t ton of pizza left over, and they were leaving in the morning. 

Any reasonable family would not have spent $122.50 plus tip on 10 pizzas the night before going to Paris. They could have ordered 6 pies and been done, and they still would have been throwing some away. 

But yeah, an 8 year old can totally defend his house from a couple of seasoned criminals by setting booby traps. 

Even though I'm a Type 2 diabetic, I will still put down pizza like I'm on death row, on the occasions there's enough of it around...I'm usually good for 6+ slices...if the pizza's thin enough (I prefer as thin as possible), I'll kill a whole 16" pie, no problem.  I make sure to get in a nice long walk after eating it...and of course, no additional carbs (only diet or "zero"-type drinks for me, but most of the time I'll just have water).

Funny, I never thought about that whole thing before, re:  Home Alone...yeah that's friggin' beyond pizza overkill, heh heh.  You figure that crowd would've topped out at about 50 slices, absolute tops (3.33 per person).  You are right, 6 pies (48 slices) would've likely been just enough.  You can make the argument that the family was clearly so well-to-do that when they were discussing what to order, someone probably just said "Ah the hell with it, let's just order 10 pies!" without thinking it through, or being worried about saving some cash.

And yeah, funny that it's not the main premise we'll pick apart, but the "mini-premises" within that get our attention.          

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even though I'm a Type 2 diabetic, I will still put down pizza like I'm on death row, on the occasions there's enough of it around...I'm usually good for 6+ slices...if the pizza's thin enough (I prefer as thin as possible), I'll kill a whole 16" pie, no problem.  I make sure to get in a nice long walk after eating it...and of course, no additional carbs (only diet or "zero"-type drinks for me, but most of the time I'll just have water).

Funny, I never thought about that whole thing before, re:  Home Alone...yeah that's friggin' beyond pizza overkill, heh heh.  You figure that crowd would've topped out at about 50 slices, absolute tops (3.33 per person).  You are right, 6 pies (48 slices) would've likely been just enough.  You can make the argument that the family was clearly so well-to-do that when they were discussing what to order, someone probably just said "Ah the hell with it, let's just order 10 pies!" without thinking it through, or being worried about saving some cash.

I'm not saying I CAN'T eat 6 slices, but I just don't. And certainly, not every man, woman and child in that house was going to do that right before going to bed to go to Paris the next day!!!

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And yeah, funny that it's not the main premise we'll pick apart, but the "mini-premises" within that get our attention.          

Yup. 8 year old installed a zipline using a rope and bike handlebars sufficient not only to hold his weight, but that of two grown adults. No issues with that. But that's too much fvcking pizza. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not saying I CAN'T eat 6 slices, but I just don't. And certainly, not every man, woman and child in that house was going to do that right before going to bed to go to Paris the next day!!!

Yup. 8 year old installed a zipline using a rope and bike handlebars sufficient not only to hold his weight, but that of two grown adults. No issues with that. But that's too much fvcking pizza. 

On a side note, on the top of my "food weakness" pyramid stands a house of pizza.  I can't ever say no to it.  And for some reason, more than any other food, I can't just eat it slowly and intelligently...I have to eat as much of it as possible in the shortest amount of time...like someone is going to take it away from me within 10 minutes.  Every now and then (say once or twice a month) we have pizza here at work...there's a killer pizza place called Pizza and Pasta a few miles from here that makes awesome thin-crust pizza...my go-to is plain, with pesto added.  The pies are 14", so their "large" is more like a medium...but I'm usually good for 12-15 slices (8 slices to a pie...I call 'em "three-bite-slices").  And I'm not gonna lie...for the rest of the afternoon, I feel like complete and total ass.  I offset some of that by first walking to the restaurant (and then meeting up with whoever from my building is picking up the pizza), and then speed-walking a few more miles right after...I basically eat all of the pizza that I'm going to eat within 15 minutes.  Then after work, another 3-4 miles.  That's the only way I can eat that much and not wake up in the middle of the night having to pee every 20-40 minutes due to blood sugar spiking.  My A1C has been at prediabetes levels for the last 5 years or so, so I CAN get way with this every so often, but it definitely comes with a price.  

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note, on the top of my "food weakness" pyramid stands a house of pizza.  I can't ever say no to it.  And for some reason, more than any other food, I can't just eat it slowly and intelligently...I have to eat as much of it as possible in the shortest amount of time...like someone is going to take it away from me within 10 minutes.  Every now and then (say once or twice a month) we have pizza here at work...there's a killer pizza place called Pizza and Pasta a few miles from here that makes awesome thin-crust pizza...my go-to is plain, with pesto added.  The pies are 14", so their "large" is more like a medium...but I'm usually good for 12-15 slices (8 slices to a pie...I call 'em "three-bite-slices").  And I'm not gonna lie...for the rest of the afternoon, I feel like complete and total ass.  I offset some of that by first walking to the restaurant (and then meeting up with whoever from my building is picking up the pizza), and then speed-walking a few more miles right after...I basically eat all of the pizza that I'm going to eat within 15 minutes.  Then after work, another 3-4 miles.  That's the only way I can eat that much and not wake up in the middle of the night having to pee every 20-40 minutes due to blood sugar spiking.  My A1C has been at prediabetes levels for the last 5 years or so, so I CAN get way with this every so often, but it definitely comes with a price.  

I definitely understand where you are coming from, 100%. Just this thread is enough that I will have to eat pizza sometime this weekend, and by sometime, I probably mean on the way home from work before my daughter's latest show (Shrek the Musical). 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I definitely understand where you are coming from, 100%. Just this thread is enough that I will have to eat pizza sometime this weekend, and by sometime, I probably mean on the way home from work before my daughter's latest show (Shrek the Musical). 

My daughter's 13th birthday party is tonight (actual day is Sunday).  Six not-very-quiet girls (my daughter among them) will be swimming in the pool and then doing god-knows-what later in the house (they're all spending the night).

We're getting three pies, with some garlic knots.  I've already done the math.  Her and her friends will put down about 2 slices each.  My wife might have one or two.  That leaves plenty more for me...and you're damned right I'm going to make a hell of a dent!

Enjoy the show tonight (and the pregame pizza)!  

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter's 13th birthday party is tonight (actual day is Sunday).  Six not-very-quiet girls (my daughter among them) will be swimming in the pool and then doing god-knows-what later in the house (they're all spending the night).

We're getting three pies, with some garlic knots.  I've already done the math.  Her and her friends will put down about 2 slices each.  My wife might have one or two.  That leaves plenty more for me...and you're damned right I'm going to make a hell of a dent!

Enjoy the show tonight (and the pregame pizza)!  

You will be 2.33 pies short using Home Alone math lol. Although I’m not sure the garlic knots don’t affect the formula, the McCallister family didn’t order any. 

Enjoy the party! The sleepover is extremely brave, we have yet to do that with more than one friend at a time.  

You will be 2.33 pies short using Home Alone math lol. Although I’m not sure the garlic knots don’t affect the formula, the McCallister family didn’t order any. 

Enjoy the party! The sleepover is extremely brave, we have yet to do that with more than one friend at a time.  

Some of them might have managed three slices without the knots.  We're going to have other goodies too (chips, cake later, etc) so it's not like they won't be filling up on pizza alone.

Yeah we've done the multi-gal sleepovers a few other times.  There's the occasional "emotional" moment and for some reason young girls can get very shrill and shriek-y in like company, but it's really not that bad once you get used to them...her and her friends are respectful enough, that if you tell them to stop doing something, they will.  Now that they're all teens or soon-to-be teens, they're a little more independent, and more capable of not making life-threatening decisions...still need to be watched, but gone are the days of constantly having to say "Don't do that, watch what you're doing, don't do that..."  As you know, when they're little they just aren't capable of realizing that certain actions can wind up hurting them severely or even killing them.  Potential head-trauma injuries are always right around the corner.  There's less of that now, but there's always that "one" in the group who you just KNOW is going to do dumb things...and there's definitely one in this crowd (not my daughter, thankfully).  She's the type who'll attempt a backflip on a whim into a pool, and wind up smacking her head on the side...or will see a shopping cart and think "Let's climb in and ride this down a steep hill!"  The good thing is her friends usually stop her before she goes full retard, but for obvious reasons I'll be watching rather closely tonight, once the swimming starts.  

The only reason we haven't done it is my daughter's room is small and not conducive to it. Last girl who slept over, they opted to go on air mattresses in the living room instead of sleeping upstairs. Which was also fine. 

In any event, good luck to you, and you'll be earning your pizza tonight. 

The only reason we haven't done it is my daughter's room is small and not conducive to it. Last girl who slept over, they opted to go on air mattresses in the living room instead of sleeping upstairs. Which was also fine. 

In any event, good luck to you, and you'll be earning your pizza tonight. 

Hey! when I visit my friends in Vegas/la I choose the air mattress over the bed. I love those things. I don’t fully inflate though. 

1 minute ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Hey! when I visit my friends in Vegas/la I choose the air mattress over the bed. I love those things. I don’t fully inflate though. 

Recently, I heard someone say that air mattresses are great for when you want to sleep on the floor, just not right away. 

That's basically been my experience. 

We are on our third now. The first one, my father in law borrowed for a hunting trip, and the next time we tried to inflate it, it wouldn't hold air. 

The second one, my daughter slept at my inlaws and it came back broken. 

My inlaws don't get to borrow it anymore. Last time they asked we told them we didn't have it anymore. 

Thanks mfitz!  Same deal, re:  my daughter's bedroom...if she has one friend over, they'll usually crash in there.  More than that, it's air mattresses in either the living room or her "entertaining" room.  They'll watch movies and stuff late night, which is fine...they'll stay up till 3-4 am sometimes.  As long as they're quiet, we're OK with it...we just make it clear that if we have something to do the next day and she's spent, no bitching about being too tired.

18 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i actually took a photo of it. don't mind the tiles the kid was messin.  i miss redondo beach :(

20171210_170003(0).jpg

Had friends who used to live in Rancho Palos Verdes and we spent a week out there a couple summers ago. What an amazing place. Rock 'N Brews in Redondo Beach is one of the places we hung out at, were there a couple of times within a 5 day period.

It was the kind of place that I wanted to live, but I wanted to live like I was on vacation, not do stupid sh!t like going to work and stuff. It's too nice there to be indoors, can a lawyer just plop a desk in the sand and see clients on the beach?

On 8/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, mfitz804 said:

Had friends who used to live in Rancho Palos Verdes and we spent a week out there a couple summers ago. What an amazing place. Rock 'N Brews in Redondo Beach is one of the places we hung out at, were there a couple of times within a 5 day period.

It was the kind of place that I wanted to live, but I wanted to live like I was on vacation, not do stupid sh!t like going to work and stuff. It's too nice there to be indoors, can a lawyer just plop a desk in the sand and see clients on the beach?

it's a place I love to visit. i could never live there. i enjoy north east trash weather lol. never been to the kiss place, although judging by google maps it was very close. whenever i go there i drag em out to do site seeing.  

the wizard! 

20171209_144353.thumb.jpg.acdaf189805d6383e94ac3126f1851e4.jpg

Edited by pumpkin cutter

Since there's been a few posts about doggos. Here's my pup Krueger doing some aqua therapy to regain strength in his back legs after his knee surgeries. Poor little guy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t6gi4z23tml88d/krueger-aquapaws.mov?dl=0

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1