official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

On 8/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Guadana said:

Great post. There were a lot of other post modern ideas. This is encouraging how Disney rewrite idealistic cultural patterns, changing accents. Especially agnostic side.

What i've been appreciating more and more in cinema these days is that they are trying to show both sides.

For decades we've been fed one angle. THIS is your good guy, everything he does is the right thing. And he's going against this one dimensional villain who is simply evil and doing bad things for the sake of it.

When in reality, it's not that cut and dry and often just about perception.

In the MCU you watch Thanos or Killmonger in Black Panther etc etc and yes they are the villain cause they are a bit extreme in their ways but you understand their angle and how they perceive themselves as the hero. We also see more "heroes" doing bad things in the name of what they "believe" is right and it's ultimately cost them cause they realize they were wrong.

So we see a lot more very intriguing and interesting dynamics between characters. It's not as black and white anymore. 

Unfortunately, the media and news outlet are not following this pattern and are still framing everything that people on their sides are the good guys who can't do no wrong and anyone with an opposing opinion is basically Satan. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Some happy stuff

After almost ten years of living together, changing citizenship, changing  places of residence, changing  cities and  jobs, me and my wife  have officially registered our marriage.

поздравляю!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Some happy stuff

After almost ten years of living together, changing citizenship, changing  places of residence, changing  cities and  jobs, me and my wife  have officially registered our marriage.

Perestroika my good man. 

• Like 2

I got a new car back in March and got the SiriusXM All Access package for the next year for a killer price.  I previously had Sirius all-access back in 2006 through 2010 and then just the music since about 2017.  So after about a 11 year absence I have finally got Howard Stern again.  He was mostly the reason why I got Sirius back in 2006 when he jumped from K-Rock to satellite radio and it was great.  However, after listening to Stern off and on the past few months, I don't think I can listen to him anymore.  He is to the point of being unlistenable.  He has literally become the guy he would make fun of back in the 90's and 2000's.  His interviews aren't all that good anymore and while Ronnie is funny, there is way too much focus on him and it gets tiring.  The only funny part are Sal and Richard's prank phone calls, but they are too few and far between.

It's just amazing how much he has changed in the past 10 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I got a new car back in March and got the SiriusXM All Access package for the next year for a killer price.  I previously had Sirius all-access back in 2006 through 2010 and then just the music since about 2017.  So after about a 11 year absence I have finally got Howard Stern again.  He was mostly the reason why I got Sirius back in 2006 when he jumped from K-Rock to satellite radio and it was great.  However, after listening to Stern off and on the past few months, I don't think I can listen to him anymore.  He is to the point of being unlistenable.  He has literally become the guy he would make fun of back in the 90's and 2000's.  His interviews aren't all that good anymore and while Ronnie is funny, there is way too much focus on him and it gets tiring.  The only funny part are Sal and Richard's prank phone calls, but they are too few and far between.

IT is crazy to think Stern is still going. I used to listen to him in junior high school in the late 80s.  I remember the TV show on channel 9 on Saturday night.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

It happened WAAAAAAAAAY before that.  Stern was at his best in the 80-early 90s I'd say...some of the stuff that they did with the OJ trial was priceless...and there was plenty of other magical, flat-out hysterical moments...we listened to him every morning at work.  I'd say after his divorce he basically (and fairly quickly) became everything he used to goof on...not that the guy wasn't entitled to whatever life he wanted to lead after that happened, but it wasn't just that he became what he goofed on, but just like the many people he made fun of, he had no sense of humor about it...he'd become very prickly and suddenly thin-skinned on air when anyone dared to suggest that he'd turned into exactly what he used to rail against.  And his last couple of years on terrestrial, he basically mailed it in and did little but whine about G.W., the FCC, etc.  Those last couple of pre-Sirius years pretty much turned me off to him.

Even though everyone knew how insanely wealthy and successful Stern was, there was still something very fallible, human and everyman about him that a lot of people could relate to...he wasn't necessarily a man of the people, but was kinda like a man for the people (Gladiator reference).  When he became the guy dating Angie Everhardt who then later married some blonde way younger and wanted to work less and less and hang out in the Hamptons more and more, a lot of that everyman appeal was lost.  But at the same time, I would never expect someone to stay the same throughout his entire adult life.  Everybody goes through some change.

At their respective peaks, I thought Opie and Anthony (with Jimmy in the 3rd seat of course) were every bit as funny and entertaining as Stern.  I won't go into too much detail about O&A, but over time they also became less entertaining and less relatable.  My beef with them was that in time, they were even thinner-skinned than Howard could be, when it came to any kind of criticism...they became more and more adversarial towards their fan base, in a not-amusing way.  But what was great about them is that Anthony was a terrific (and very funny) storyteller, and Jimmy was quite humorous as well...and when it came to some of their political views, they made a lot of sense.  They were also smart in that many of their guests were comedians, which naturally led to a lot of natural "Dudes hanging around just being funny" moments...Jim Breuer always made for killer appearances.  Opie was smart in his own way, in that he knew he didn't bring much to the airwaves (he really didn't have that much of a personality, really), but knew to surround himself with on-air talent, while he would keep things moving along.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

A few bands canceled their tour 2021 dates today, wonder if this is gonna start a domino effect. Probably not since some bands simply can't afford to cancel any longer... 

Seems like that is the way we are trending.

Man those New Found Glory tickets are freaking 90$ for GA in Austin. I'd love to see them but F that, I would have paid like 30 if this was Starland Ballroom and not Austin.

Austin -- Music capital of the mid-west. Tickets are either scooped up in 30 seconds or they cost a fortune at MSRP.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

A few bands canceled their tour 2021 dates today, wonder if this is gonna start a domino effect. Probably not since some bands simply can't afford to cancel any longer... 

I wonder when it starts moving into sports. Once one major sport starts canceling I think the others will follow suit. 

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I wonder when it starts moving into sports. Once one major sport starts canceling I think the others will follow suit. 

I'm guessing it will be back to limited capacity or no fans, before full cancellations.  Teams in MLB have kept playing, despite players getting sick here and there.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It happened WAAAAAAAAAY before that.  Stern was at his best in the 80-early 90s I'd say...some of the stuff that they did with the OJ trial was priceless...and there was plenty of other magical, flat-out hysterical moments...we listened to him every morning at work.  I'd say after his divorce he basically (and fairly quickly) became everything he used to goof on...not that the guy wasn't entitled to whatever life he wanted to lead after that happened, but it wasn't just that he became what he goofed on, but just like the many people he made fun of, he had no sense of humor about it...he'd become very prickly and suddenly thin-skinned on air when anyone dared to suggest that he'd turned into exactly what he used to rail against.  And his last couple of years on terrestrial, he basically mailed it in and did little but whine about G.W., the FCC, etc.  Those last couple of pre-Sirius years pretty much turned me off to him.

Even though everyone knew how insanely wealthy and successful Stern was, there was still something very fallible, human and everyman about him that a lot of people could relate to...he wasn't necessarily a man of the people, but was kinda like a man for the people (Gladiator reference).  When he became the guy dating Angie Everhardt who then later married some blonde way younger and wanted to work less and less and hang out in the Hamptons more and more, a lot of that everyman appeal was lost.  But at the same time, I would never expect someone to stay the same throughout his entire adult life.  Everybody goes through some change.

At their respective peaks, I thought Opie and Anthony (with Jimmy in the 3rd seat of course) were every bit as funny and entertaining as Stern.  I won't go into too much detail about O&A, but over time they also became less entertaining and less relatable.  My beef with them was that in time, they were even thinner-skinned than Howard could be, when it came to any kind of criticism...they became more and more adversarial towards their fan base, in a not-amusing way.  But what was great about them is that Anthony was a terrific (and very funny) storyteller, and Jimmy was quite humorous as well...and when it came to some of their political views, they made a lot of sense.  They were also smart in that many of their guests were comedians, which naturally led to a lot of natural "Dudes hanging around just being funny" moments...Jim Breuer always made for killer appearances.  Opie was smart in his own way, in that he knew he didn't bring much to the airwaves (he really didn't have of a personality, really), but knew to surround himself with on-air talent, while he would keep things moving along.  

You're probably right with the bolded.  The 2001-2010 Howard Stern was pretty much carried by Artie Lange.  He was literally the funniest and best part of the show along with Sal & Richard.  Once he left the show just completely fell off the cliff.

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm guessing it will be back to limited capacity or no fans, before full cancellations.  Teams in MLB have kept playing, despite players getting sick here and there.  

I am guessing we may be back to where we were to start the 20-21 season with no fans and possibly even a taxi squad.

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think concerts, especially at smaller venues like starland are a whole different beast than sporting events. They are packed with no room between one another and people screaming along to the songs and social distancing isn't realistic in these types of places. The smaller venues would end up losing money reducing capacity unlike sporting events where they can still make money with reduced capacity. 

Sports can spread people out a lot easier if it has to come down to it but I think we see more arenas/stadiums end up being vaccine only before we see stuff get canceled again. 

Music wise a lot of younger bands / artists simply can't afford to not tour any longer since it's been over a year and a half as it is. They simply don't have that luxury of being able to cancel if they feel uncomfortable. 

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am guessing we may be back to where we were to start the 20-21 season with no fans and possibly even a taxi squad.

I really don't see that happening, they will go with vaccinated only / limited capacity first which should be more than ok. I could be wrong but I just don't see us going back to no crowds again. 

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Opie is one of the luckiest motherfvckers on earth for finding Ant during the early days and then later melding with Jim. Those shows with Ant, Jim and Patrice O'Neal are still some of the funniest bits of radio in history

Patrice: "Face/Off was a great movie!"

Jim: "I'll throw my coffee in your face"

Opie and Anthony, at their peak, was the best radio I’ve ever listened to. Absolutely fvcking hilarious.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Opie is one of the luckiest motherfvckers on earth for finding Ant during the early days and then later melding with Jim. Those shows with Ant, Jim and Patrice O'Neal are still some of the funniest bits of radio in history

Patrice: "Face/Off was a great movie!"

Jim: "I'll throw my coffee in your face"

Very true...Opie would've been another goofy (in a bad way) radio op and record spinner without Ant.  What gave Opie value to that show was his experience behind the scenes and having a better idea of how the "whole" of radio works.  That allowed Ant, Jim, and others to do their thing...in a way, Opie was like a solid stagehand, while the rest were the real performers.  Opie's instincts still weren't always the best, in that he'd sometimes move things along a little prematurely, but better to move on a little too soon, than too late.  Sometimes he would try to keep up with the "funny", but he clearly just didn't have the comedic chops to do it.  If I had any real beefs with Opie, it was mostly that he often came off thinking he was soooooo much cooler and soooooo much more of a badass than he really was.  And it seemed like most of his "memorable" moments just centered around him being a d!ck.

Fans of the show know that O&A managed to keep putting a good show on, long after their actual off-air friendship had fallen apart...Anthony later spoke about how he was constantly "walking on Greggshells" around Gregg "Opie" Hughes.  Opie and Jimmy really got into it on air once (after Anthony had been sacked), and when you hear the exchange, Opie simply comes off as...well, very "off".  I get the impression he was not an easy guy to work with.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Opie and Anthony, at their peak, was the best radio I’ve ever listened to. Absolutely fvcking hilarious.

Howard's show at its peak was damned good too, but the O&A show gave me a ton of belly laughs...at their peaks, it's very very close, but if I had to take one over the other, I'm taking peak O&A.  Anthony could tell the same story more than once, and I'd still crack up...he just had a way of narrating that was so natural and funny.  He seems like the kind of guy you'd go to a bar with, have 5-6 drinks, and just laugh your ass off.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed, and Howard has never seemed as good since them. They basically took his act and did it better. 

Meanwhile Howard became a rich, entitled old man who thinks he knows everything about everything and that he knows better than anyone. He’s borderline irritating to listen to. Everyone kisses his ass and tells him he is a great interviewer, but every interview is exactly the same regardless of who it is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, and Howard has never seemed as good since them. They basically took his act and did it better. 

Meanwhile Howard became a rich, entitled old man who thinks he knows everything about everything and that he knows better than anyone. He’s borderline irritating to listen to. Everyone kisses his ass and tells him he is a great interviewer, but every interview is exactly the same regardless of who it is. 

I haven’t listened to Howard since the K-Rock days. Was never a huge fan. The movie about him was great though. 

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Went to a gig for the first time in 20 months a few weeks ago. Felt very weird to be in a tiny room with 1000 other people. But it was great to be back listening to live music. 

Most UK gigs are kicking off now and tours are starting to be rearranged from 2020 and 2021 for 2022. 

Still waiting to see The Ghost Inside from 2020 and Bury Tomorrow. 

• Like 1