official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

On 7/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah now imagine listening to the Roy Dotrice audiobooks like I do at the office. 90 year old man describing Samwell's "fat pink mast" lmaooo

Just watched the episode where Sam gets laid tonight, and all I could think about was this post lol. 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

i think i need to get my wisdom teeth pulled. any chance insurance will cover it?

When I had it done 4 years ago, both my dental and medical covered it.  Out of a procedure that cost approx $2K, I only had to pay about $140 out of pocket.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Never heard about this man until now.

So until i can get more proofs i'll simply deny his existence. 

On a side note, just wondering...up in your neck of the woods, is there much interest in baseball?  deGrom's a pretty big deal...he's basically been the best pitcher in baseball the past four seasons (and was plenty good before that).  He was on his way to a historic season this year, until a variety of ailments did him in, and forced him to miss a ton of time.

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

At least Mets fans have this going for them, which is... nice. Would be peak Mets for them to ramp him up to play meaningless games in september causing him to miss a good chunk of next season.

Baffling they’re even considering that. 7 games out of first in the NL East, 9.5 games out of a wildcard slot, boy oh boy let’s rush our 33 year old superstar back from a throwing arm injury so we can finish 3 games under .500! 

I'm with you 100%, there is NO reason to bring him back.  The Mets were fully exposed by the Dodgers and Giants for what they are:  FRAUDS.  Though they had their share of rotten luck with all of the injuries, they basically rode one hot stretch to get to 35-25, then did little after...played .500ish ball for a while (often looking ugly while doing it), then finally the bottom fell out.  They're toast this season, and no, as much as we Mets fans all love deGrom, seeing him pitch 3-5 innings in a couple of meaningless starts isn't going to get me all Timmy "And one more thing just wait 'till next year!" Lupus excited.

What WILL make me excited is when Sandy fvcking Alderson, Luis Rojas, and a whole lot of other useless zilches are shown the door.  As much as this season has fallen to pieces, I say just let it fall completely apart now.  I've discussed this in the Mets thread, but the last thing I want to see is some bullsh!t "rally" to finish out the year, the Mets finish with 83-85 wins somehow, and suddenly everything's fine and just you wait 'till 2022!  fvck that.  NO.  It's never about the present with Sandy, EVER, it's about the path of least resistance and effort and guys getting endless chances no matter how little they produce, and if Cohen wants this honeymoon to last, he'd better see it, NOW.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Someone the other day called Cohen “George Steinbrenner with a twitter account” and that made me LOL. 

Unless the Mets fall ass backwards into 4 homegrown hall of famers, that isn’t a compliment. 

Cohen at least spends money lol. Really his best move would be to hand a blank check to Theo Epstein and let Theo do his thing. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Someone the other day called Cohen “George Steinbrenner with a twitter account” and that made me LOL. 

Unless the Mets fall ass backwards into 4 homegrown hall of famers, that isn’t a compliment. 

I remember when Steinbrenner was suspended for that whole Howie Spira/Dave Winfield mess (and it was announced during a game, in Yankee Stadium), the crowd cheered rather loudly...it had been quite a while since the back-to-back '77 and '78 championships, and fans had had enough of the Bronx Zoo.  Of course while he was out, Stick and others developed the prospects that George would've traded away for some 33-year-old "win now" DH, and when he came back, the team was in good shape, and Steinbrenner had mellowed just enough to not meddle nearly as much.  Now there's Yankee fans who wish his son was more like him, heh heh.

You can be a blustery owner, but you'd better win.  That act gets old when you don't, quickly.

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

And yeah, ramping up deGrom while you have a 4% chance at the playoffs (fangraphs) is just absurdly stupid. You get what, 4 more starts out of him at best? 

Sadly I fully expect them to do exactly that.  They shouldn't.  But they will.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cohen at least spends money lol. Really his best move would be to hand a blank check to Theo Epstein and let Theo do his thing. 

And this offseason will show me what Cohen's made of.  I agree, he will spend...any lack of spending was due to Sandy more than anything else...he can't ever scoop up the obvious free agent target, even when he has the resources, and it's obvious the player in question fills a need...he's gotta drag sh!t out, find a way to lose that player, or automatically pivot to a less desirable option.  It's maddening and beyond infuriating, especially since every Met fan with half a brain knew exactly what we were getting when Sandy was brought back.

But yeah, part of being a good owner is being willing to admit you fvcked up, and doing your best to correct your mistake.  Cohen has the cash to tell Sandy to GTFO and go back to sleepwalking, and bring in Epstein.  This is a fvcking NO BRAINER.  Epstein won't automatically be a guaranteed success, but you're not getting anywhere with Sandy...whose only claim to fame here is that he was lucky that TWO bad deals that he 100% WANTED to make fell through in 2015...and finally, Deal #3 (for Cespedes) worked out in huge way for the rest of the season, all the way to a WS appearance.  But the rest is mostly Sandy talking the talk but not walking the walk, and trying to make Billy Beane-type moves that never seem to work out as well for Sandy as they do for Beane.  And then there's bad attempts at humor when he can't get anything done...and times like now, where he's absolutely NOWHERE to be found.

And yeah, hire Theo, give him the keys, and get out of the way.    

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

Welp, there you have it.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Bad source, no check mark. 

Exactly.

Plus through north america, i've seen enough bumper stickers and signs saying "this president / prime minister candidate" is "the man (or woman)". And in hindsight, they were basically all wrong. So i don't trust easy. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note, just wondering...up in your neck of the woods, is there much interest in baseball?  deGrom's a pretty big deal...he's basically been the best pitcher in baseball the past four seasons (and was plenty good before that).  He was on his way to a historic season this year, until a variety of ailments did him in, and forced him to miss a ton of time.

I'd say there's a decent amount of interest in baseball but it's nowhere close the interest in hockey.

I guess how i should put it is.... for most people in Canada... that you follow hockey or not. You know who Crosby and a few top players are for sure. That you put the effort to get to know players or not, you will know those guys. But other sports... i don't think so.

I personally don't follow football, baseball and basketball at all. I know a few soccer players cause i played quite a bit but thats it.

So for example, i remember this exact interaction with my buddy. We were just hanging out and i was scrolling on instagram and i went "oh sh!t.. Kobe Bryant just died". Like... i've heard the name and knew he was at least a decent basketball player lol And my buddy was like WHAT!?! and i was like... so is he like.. a big big deal? and to put it in perspective my buddy went "this is basically like if Crosby would die".

At some point too i did know a few BlueJays players cause i was in Toronto for a convention and i was always around the rogers centre and would see people walk around with bluejays jerseys. It was the year of the Bautista bat flip too so it was everywhere.

So that's the level of knowledge someone who don't care about a sport can have lol and it's not like im living under a rock, i'm on a computer scrolling the internet all day everyday and watching sports channels at times.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

So that's the level of knowledge someone who don't care about a sport can have lol and it's not like im living under a rock, i'm on a computer scrolling the internet all day everyday and watching sports channels at times.

Well, before his injury deGrom was on his way to winning his 3rd Cy Young in 4 years for a New York based team (but not THE New York based team), so if anyone follows baseball even a little, you’d think that’s be a guy they may know about. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, before his injury deGrom was on his way to winning his 3rd Cy Young in 4 years for a New York based team (but not THE New York based team), so if anyone follows baseball even a little, you’d think that’s be a guy they may know about. 

i do know about Felipe Alou though

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i do know about Felipe Alou though

I watched his son Moises play single A ball in Watertown, New York before he made it to the MLB. 

Watertown is about 6 hours from here, my parents have a house up near there, so we’d go to games whenever we were up there. Sometimes we would go to 4-5 games in a 2 week period.

Moises played for the Watertown Pirates, who later became the Watertown Indians, who later became, quite ironically, the Staten Island Yankees. 

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'd say there's a decent amount of interest in baseball but it's nowhere close the interest in hockey.

I guess how i should put it is.... for most people in Canada... that you follow hockey or not. You know who Crosby and a few top players are for sure. That you put the effort to get to know players or not, you will know those guys. But other sports... i don't think so.

I personally don't follow football, baseball and basketball at all. I know a few soccer players cause i played quite a bit but thats it.

So for example, i remember this exact interaction with my buddy. We were just hanging out and i was scrolling on instagram and i went "oh sh!t.. Kobe Bryant just died". Like... i've heard the name and knew he was at least a decent basketball player lol And my buddy was like WHAT!?! and i was like... so is he like.. a big big deal? and to put it in perspective my buddy went "this is basically like if Crosby would die".

At some point too i did know a few BlueJays players cause i was in Toronto for a convention and i was always around the rogers centre and would see people walk around with bluejays jerseys. It was the year of the Bautista bat flip too so it was everywhere.

How about the CFL?  Do you follow that?  As a NFL fan, I gave the CFL a couple of whirls (I've seen some broadcasts), but when you've grown up watching the NFL, the CFL just feels kinda archaic (12 vs 12 instead of 11 vs 11, larger field, 3 downs instead of 4, etc)...almost like some goofy alternate version of football.  

Basketball never took for me...not sure why.  I like what baseball is supposed to be, but not what it's become (too many strikeouts, general lack of fundamentals, players seems to get injured and "tired" now more than ever, etc.).  The Devils and hockey are my #1...now that the Mets are toast (and generally unwatchable), I'm not going to be tuning in all that much from here on out.  Even when the Devils are awful, I'll usually keep watching, especially if there's some kids I'd like to see.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How about the CFL?  Do you follow that?  As a NFL fan, I gave the CFL a couple of whirls (I've seen some broadcasts), but when you've grown up watching the NFL, the CFL just feels kinda archaic (12 vs 12 instead of 11 vs 11, larger field, 3 downs instead of 4, etc)...almost like some goofy alternate version of football.  

Basketball never took for me...not sure why.  I like what baseball is supposed to be, but not what it's become (too many strikeouts, general lack of fundamentals, players seems to get injured and "tired" now more than ever, etc.).  The Devils and hockey are my #1...now that the Mets are toast (and generally unwatchable), I'm not going to be tuning in all that much from here on out.  Even when the Devils are awful, I'll usually keep watching, especially if there's some kids I'd like to see.  

the one and only CFL player i ever knew was Getzlaf.... and only because he was Ryan's brother lol

The only NFL player i can name is Tom Brady. And i don't remember it now but when i see the name of the dude who kneeled and all then i know who he is. But thats about it.

I also know that football fans who don't cheer for the Patriots are blaming the refs and calling them cheaters any time they win.