official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He is a great drummer, but I hate that band.

Many years ago (pretty sure it was 2001), someone had an extra ticket for Green Day and Blink 182 (Green Day opened), so I went.  I fully expected Green Day to be kinda meh and not that into it, and Blink to be energetic and more entertaining (I’m not a huge fan of either band, but don’t hate them either).  It wound up being just the opposite.  Blink couldn’t have mailed it in more…and apparently from others who’ve seen some of their other performances, this was not a first.  Sucked mostly because after Green Day really killed it, Blink sucked all of the energy out of the venue.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Many years ago (pretty sure it was 2001), someone had an extra ticket for Green Day and Blink 182 (Green Day opened), so I went.  I fully expected Green Day to be kinda meh and not that into it, and Blink to be energetic and more entertaining (I’m not a huge fan of either band, but don’t hate them either).  It wound up being just the opposite.  Blink couldn’t have mailed it in more…and apparently from others who’ve seen some of their other performances, this was not a first.  Sucked mostly because after Green Day really killed it, Blink sucked all of the energy out of the venue.  

That was the Pop Disaster Tour. Saves the Day opened for them. I saw that tour at Hershey Park and it was incredible. At least for that show I can't say that Blink mailed it in, they played a killer set from what I remember.

14 minutes ago, Crisis said:

That was the Pop Disaster Tour. Saves the Day opened for them. I saw that tour at Hershey Park and it was incredible. At least for that show I can't say that Blink mailed it in, they played a killer set from what I remember.

I don’t know much about the new guy, but Delonge and Hoppus are awful singers. The vocals turned me off to the band immediately. 

18 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I can only go by my experience (and I do know some others who saw the same thing, but of course it’s a very small pool in the grand scheme)  but I can’t rule out that they might’ve had an off-day, or simply weren’t feeling it for that particular performance.  

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know much about the new guy, but Delonge and Hoppus are awful singers. The vocals turned me off to the band immediately. 

Yeah I think that's part of the shtick.  Not invalidating your opinion, I just don't think that good singing is a characteristic of punk music.

9 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I think that's part of the shtick.  Not invalidating your opinion, I just don't think that good singing is a characteristic of punk music.

I don’t consider them punk music, maybe punk pop at best, but there’s a difference between being a bad singer (Sex Pistols come to mind) and just being annoying. They’re annoying. Hoppus sings like Barney the Dinosaur and Delonge sounds like the dude from the B-52’s was his vocal coach. 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t consider them punk music, maybe punk pop at best, but there’s a difference between being a bad singer (Sex Pistols come to mind) and just being annoying. They’re annoying. Hoppus sings like Barney the Dinosaur and Delonge sounds like the dude from the B-52’s was his vocal coach. 

Delonge’s voice always reminds me of Richie Cunningham.  On some songs, yeah, his voice is just grating to me.

Hoppus is perfect for “Adam’s Song” though. 

Yeah Travis Barker is in a league of his own writing very catchy and flashy stuff. Lars execution live was never the best but he did write some iconic songs on drums gotta give him that. Many drummers are playing insanely tight but those songs will never be remembered. Other drummers will do sh!t that doesn't sound incredibly hard to most people but when you understand what they are doing it's pretty mindblowing. 

Working with a lot of bands i know quite a few top notch drummers but my Buddy Graham Churchill that use to play for Belvedere / This is a Standoff and now plays in Choke is known as one of the best punk rock drummer, he's just ridiculous and looks so calm playing yet plays these very tricky parts. Casey who replaced him in Belvedere is also insanely good. Grew up playing sh!t like Tool and Rush so obviously if you can nail that you're doing something right

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

delong is obviously an acquired taste, but i’m surprised to hear that someone doesn’t like mark hoppus’ voice.  

I don’t even understand how that could surprise you. He barely even sings. Seiously, sing his part in “I Miss You” in a Barney the Dinosaur voice, it won’t be any different. 

Edited by mfitz804

Well that people love his voice or not. Mark Hoppus announced that he's now cancer free like 2 weeks ago so that's pretty awesome. I really like the dude personally and has been following his twitch videos playing games or bass play-through of his albums. He's hilarious

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that people love his voice or not. Mark Hoppus announced that he's now cancer free like 2 weeks ago so that's pretty awesome. I really like the dude personally and has been following his twitch videos playing games or bass play-through of his albums. He's hilarious

100%. I can also say I have played his Fender Signature Series bass and it is a pretty awesome model. 

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Ah didn't know you played bass. I mostly play guitar but I bought this bass like a month ago. What a beauty

I was a guitar player as well, but used to dabble in bass. I don’t own one right now, been thinking about picking one up. Usually I’m a Jazz Bass guy all the way. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was a guitar player as well, but used to dabble in bass. I don’t own one right now, been thinking about picking one up. Usually I’m a Jazz Bass guy all the way. 

yeah i stopped playing music back in 2009 and sold most of my gear but reaaally got back into it recently and i've been writing new stuff. So now my design studio also became a music studio lol 

So this is where i'm sitting all day lol

1911813501_ScreenShot2021-10-09at7_01_08PM.thumb.png.c2b7b6b966bce44fc1db8485e431aa08.png

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i stopped playing music back in 2009 and sold most of my gear but reaaally got back into it recently and i've been writing new stuff. So now my design studio also became a music studio lol 

So this is where i'm sitting all day lol

1911813501_ScreenShot2021-10-09at7_01_08PM.thumb.png.c2b7b6b966bce44fc1db8485e431aa08.png

Definitely a nice room!!

I owned 14 guitars at one point, but with the one I sold 2 weeks ago I’m down to just two. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, SterioDesign said:

you traded guitars for signed pucks. Clever, takes up a lot less space

There were jerseys in between. 

Side note, one of the two remaining guitars is a 1978 Fender Strat, the very guitar I used when cutting the above noted demo. 

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There were jerseys in between. 

Side note, one of the two remaining guitars is a 1978 Fender Strat, the very guitar I used when cutting the above noted demo. 

I have a guitar in the mail right now. I'm basically making a replica of Billie Joe Armstrong guitar from 1994. The version of it he played on Dookie, Lollapalooza and Woodstock. It was a Fernandez LE-1 (Fender Strat ripoff) he got from his mom and he modified it quite a bit adding a diagonal Seymour Duncan SH4 JB humbucker and a bunch of stickers. So im getting all the same stickers and im going to add the humbucker, dirty it up and scratch it. should be a fun project.

I'm younger than a lot of folks here but no album has been more important to me than Green Day - Dookie. I was 10 when it came out and that's what really got me into music. Before that i'd just listen to wtv my sister was listening to (mostly Metallica, guns and roses, etc etc) but Green Day was a total phenomenom then. Also the artwork is really what opened my eyes about how music and art mixed together and i knew that entire booklet by heart. Well i still do. And well that's literally what i do for a living now so. Very important album.

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I have a guitar in the mail right now. I'm basically making a replica of Billie Joe Armstrong guitar from 1994. The version of it he played on Dookie, Lollapalooza and Woodstock. It was a Fernandez LE-1 (Fender Strat ripoff) he got from his mom and he modified it quite a bit adding a diagonal Seymour Duncan SH4 JB humbucker and a bunch of stickers. So im getting all the same stickers and im going to add the humbucker, dirty it up and scratch it. should be a fun project.

I'm younger than a lot of folks here but no album has been more important to me than Green Day - Dookie. I was 10 when it came out and that's what really got me into music. Before that i'd just listen to wtv my sister was listening to (mostly Metallica, guns and roses, etc etc) but Green Day was a total phenomenom then. Also the artwork is really what opened my eyes about how music and art mixed together and i knew that entire booklet by heart. Well i still do. And well that's literally what i do for a living now so. Very important album.

That seems like a very “you” kind of project. Post pictures of the process, it’ll be interesting to see!

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

Dookie was the best, man. At least for me growing up. It was the first cassette I ever owned (won it at one of those spinning wheel games at the Seaside Heights boardwalk) and turned out to also be my first CD.

That’s the same way I discovered Pearl Jam’s “Ten”. It was actually suggested to me by the guy operating the game after I won. 

It’s been my favorite album since.

90s was a such a great time, re:  music.  And yeah, first Green Day album was terrific.  Ditto Ten.  

• Like 1