official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone know anything about soundbars For Smart TVs? I read they can really improve the sound, so I bought a nice Bose one but quickly learned it was too big to fit in my entertainment unit, or the TV is too big. 

Do they make anything compact that accomplishes the same thing?

Wireless ear buds

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Well then it sounds like you might need to buy more than one pair of wireless ear buds

I mean it’s 2021, we all have those. That’s not really how you sit around and watch TV as a family. Sometimes you converse, etc. I’m just looking for some better audio quality. Some people swear by the sound bars, I just can’t fit one in my set up.

But to not be a complete idiot, in my search I've come across this thread on reddit about how you shouldn't buy a soundbar if you're looking for good sound quality.  It seems like the benefits of having a soundbar are that they are compact and easy to use, and that's at the cost of sound quality.

Didn't know that posting a reddit link would throw the whole first comment into the thread, but there you have it.  I've used r/hometheater a few times and it is a pretty good resource to start your research.  It's full of knowledgeable nerds but I'm a cynic so I feel like there may be a lot of plants in there pushing products.  I have no evidence though.

It’s good info, thanks. But my understanding is, they are still a huge improvement over the stock speaker(s) built into your TV. I’m sure there are much better systems, but I’m not looking to have a ton of speakers everywhere, ideally I’d like to barely see it. 

Which is why I asked if anyone knows about this stuff, I know I do not. 

Bought this for my home theater and honestly they have fvcking blown me away. They make another version that comes with 5 speakers, I can't even imagine how it must sound. My two speakers and amp literally make my room sound like I'm in an actual theater, you get that rumble in your chest. The bass on the woofer is NO JOKE. 

Screenshot_20211013-174955_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Bought this for my home theater and honestly they have fvcking blown me away. They make another version that comes with 5 speakers, I can't even imagine how it must sound. My two speakers and amp literally make my room sound like I'm in an actual theater, you get that rumble in your chest. The bass on the woofer is NO JOKE. 

Screenshot_20211013-174955_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I actually use these for my PC and they are fantastic.  And I use a much older version for my TV now.  I plan on upgrading to a receiver and some cabinet speakers when the time comes though.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s good info, thanks. But my understanding is, they are still a huge improvement over the stock speaker(s) built into your TV. I’m sure there are much better systems, but I’m not looking to have a ton of speakers everywhere, ideally I’d like to barely see it. 

Which is why I asked if anyone knows about this stuff, I know I do not. 

Audiophile guys sh!t on sound bars, but I’ve been using them for years. I’m like you, and don’t want speakers all over my living room. Sound bars are a NIGHT and DAY improvement over basic crappy tv speakers. Especially if you get one with a sub for some nice bass levels. Mine can literally rattle the floor (I have a Yamaha YAS 207). But if you’re looking for just a smaller soundbar to upgrade your tv speakers; Sonos makes some good ones. I think their “Beam” should fit in just about any entertainment center. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Audiophile guys sh!t on sound bars, but I’ve been using them for years. I’m like you, and don’t want speakers all over my living room. Sound bars are a NIGHT and DAY improvement over basic crappy tv speakers. Especially if you get one with a sub for some nice bass levels. Mine can literally rattle the floor (I have a Yamaha YAS 207). But if you’re looking for just a smaller soundbar to upgrade your tv speakers; Sonos makes some good ones. I think their “Beam” should fit in just about any entertainment center. 

I’ll look into it, thanks. The main issue is we have a corner unit that said it fits up to a 43” TV, but a tape measure proves otherwise and I fit a 55” in there. It’s practically a custom fit with less than a half inch on all 4 sides. That leaves just a small area between the stands to place a soundbar. The Bose I got was way huge and didn’t fit (I didn’t measure). 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll look into it, thanks. The main issue is we have a corner unit that said it fits up to a 43” TV, but a tape measure proves otherwise and I fit a 55” in there. It’s practically a custom fit with less than a half inch on all 4 sides. That leaves just a small area between the stands to place a soundbar. The Bose I got was way huge and didn’t fit (I didn’t measure). 

I know it would suck (or maybe it wouldn't) but have you considered maybe setting up the tv on something else than that corner unit? Maybe with a different one (or mount the tv to the wall or wtv) that way you'd have more flexibility for a soundbar or wtv? I mean im literally going blind here but who knows.

I know quite a bit about home theatre sounds systems and all that crap. My buddy owns a home theatre system and furniture store and we geek out about all the new stuff coming out every year. I got a new 75" tv this year and he got a 85" lol it's ridiculously big. I've been using a Yamaha amp that plays either my record player, my tv / movies / games, etc and my wireless music from my phone. And it's playing through 5 speakers. Which like you mentioned, can suck at times when you have to put speakers all around the room, it doesn't always fit well.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the technology of good soundbar now are really using the whole room and can calculate how to bounce the sound off your walls to really give you the best sound. It's never going to give you the precise surround sounds you can get from rear speakers in a surround but still pretty good if you're willing to sacrifice for something simpler.

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I know it would suck (or maybe it wouldn't) but have you considered maybe setting up the tv on something else than that corner unit? Maybe with a different one (or mount the tv to the wall or wtv) that way you'd have more flexibility for a soundbar or wtv? I mean im literally going blind here but who knows.I

The way my living room is structured, it’s perfect to have the TV in that corner. I know there are some wall mounts, but honestly, mounting a TV on the corner looks weird, like in a doctors office waiting room. Plus, aside from all the decorative stuff we also have on that unit, it also contains my CD collection, my DVDs, to game systems, cable box, DVD player, etc. 

Not to mention that the unit fits perfectly in that corner, and was fairly expensive.

I could put the tv on a different wall, which would then require me to move the couch, which would then require me to move the stuff that’s hung on the wall above the couch. Then I would have to get rid of the wall unit, and come up with a different way to store all of that stuff that’s inside of it.

I like the idea of a sound bar, but I’m not going to redecorate my entire living room just to have one.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:01 AM, jagknife said:

For someone who hasn’t watched the sopranos, should I start with Newark or the series?

The series, 100%.  And do yourself a favor and don't binge it like I did.

My now-wife and I watched the entire show over the course of a month and... you really lose track of the little details that make the show great when you tear through it that quickly.

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The series, 100%.  And do yourself a favor and don't binge it like I did.

My now-wife and I watched the entire show over the course of a month and... you really lose track of the little details that make the show great when you tear through it that quickly.

Haha I read that as my non-wife and I was thinking man, I hope she doesn't read this!

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The way my living room is structured, it’s perfect to have the TV in that corner. I know there are some wall mounts, but honestly, mounting a TV on the corner looks weird, like in a doctors office waiting room. Plus, aside from all the decorative stuff we also have on that unit, it also contains my CD collection, my DVDs, to game systems, cable box, DVD player, etc. 

Not to mention that the unit fits perfectly in that corner, and was fairly expensive.

I could put the tv on a different wall, which would then require me to move the couch, which would then require me to move the stuff that’s hung on the wall above the couch. Then I would have to get rid of the wall unit, and come up with a different way to store all of that stuff that’s inside of it.

I like the idea of a sound bar, but I’m not going to redecorate my entire living room just to have one.

What about your 8-tracks and cassettes?  😉

I have tons of DVDs too (in a couple of "hidden" cabinets in my entertainment center) and some Blu-Rays.  Hardly ever watch DVDs anymore...most of the time I just (occasionally buy), record and save (I have DirecTV).  

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What about your 8-tracks and cassettes?  😉

I have tons of DVDs too (in a couple of "hidden" cabinets in my entertainment center) and some Blu-Rays.  Hardly ever watch DVDs anymore...most of the time I just (occasionally buy), record and save (I have DirecTV).  

Yeah, I know. Honestly, I haven’t taken a CD out in like 10 years and the DVDs basically only if something isn’t streaming (like my horror movie binge watching; Elm Street was available on HBO Max so I watched it there; Friday the 13th is not available, so I’ll use the DVDs). 

While in some aspects I spend money like I have money, I can’t bring myself to rent a movie from a pay as you go service when I have the DVD a foot and a half away from the TV. 

In the grand scheme, neither of those 2 things takes up all that much space (I don’t keep the cases, they are in sleeves in storage boxes) and they aren’t the reason I don’t want to get rid of a $2,000 piece of furniture and redecorate my entire living room to add a couple of speakers lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I know. Honestly, I haven’t taken a CD out in like 10 years and the DVDs basically only if something isn’t streaming (like my horror movie binge watching; Elm Street was available on HBO Max so I watched it there; Friday the 13th is not available, so I’ll use the DVDs). 

While in some aspects I spend money like I have money, I can’t bring myself to rent a movie from a pay as you go service when I have the DVD a foot and a half away from the TV. 

In the grand scheme, neither of those 2 things takes up all that much space (I don’t keep the cases, they are in sleeves in storage boxes) and they aren’t the reason I don’t want to get rid of a $2,000 piece of furniture and redecorate my entire living room to add a couple of speakers lol. 

Sure if I have a DVD or Blu-Ray of a particular movie, I'll pop it in, as opposed to renting or buying through DirecTV.  I've used my Blu-Ray for Harry Potter movies (bought my daughter the whole set a couple of Xmases ago, have watch four so far), Breaking Bad (finally watched it all this past spring), and Cobra Kai.  A couple of others that I'm not remembering.

I can't remember the last time I popped in a CD.  A lot of times, I'll just go on youtube and pick out what I want to listen to.  Depending on my mood, can pretty much be anything...I gravitate towards heavier stuff, but not all of the time.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure if I have a DVD or Blu-Ray of a particular movie, I'll pop it in, as opposed to renting or buying through DirecTV.  I've used my Blu-Ray for Harry Potter movies (bought my daughter the whole set a couple of Xmases ago, have watch four so far), Breaking Bad (finally watched it all this past spring), and Cobra Kai.  A couple of others that I'm not remembering.

I can't remember the last time I popped in a CD.  A lot of times, I'll just go on youtube and pick out what I want to listen to.  Depending on my mood, can pretty much be anything...I gravitate towards heavier stuff, but not all of the time.

I couldn't even tell you when I last listened to a CD. But I am 100% sure its one of th bands that I have every album for, I bought it, listened to it in the car for a while, put it in the box, and never went back to it again, and listened on Amazon Music thereafter. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Well here's a few quotes for you

331202-Rick-Riordan-Quote-True-success-requires-sacrifice.thumb.jpg.41fcef6bc02a861cc1e6ec69995f6586.jpg2084631902_Sacrifice-quotes-about-life-that-will-surely-inspire-you(2)-min.jpg.2513709ea47492085c4dc0958f923324.jpgevery-sacrifice-has-a-reward.jpg.f13dd9f9c2345a5ee6796745547814d4.jpgff080d747eb838bd2014a3909c6262f1.thumb.jpg.6f5e579521a615e926e65a0715b27a4f.jpg

Random Devils sh!t...one of the best things about hockey-reference is that you can look up box scores of particular games embedded in your memory bank...like this one:

New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils Box Score — March 7, 1998 | Hockey-Reference.com

I was 27 and my brother (who had become a Rangers fan, though not nearly as hardcore as me with the Devils) was 26 at the time...for Xmas 1997, my dad had bought the three of us tickets for this game...he'd found some package where a pre-game buffet (at nearby Hooters) was included with the tickets.  So 3/7/98 comes along, and we all go...my bro in a non-personalized white Ranger jersey, me in my white #93 Gilmour jersey (the only authentic I'd own for quite a while...still have it), and my dad in...normal clothes (jerseys were never his thing). 

Pre-game feast was OK, nothing all that memorable...me and my bro ran into some people we knew from high school, which was both completely random and kind of cool...was great to catch up with some people we hadn't seen in nearly 10 years.  Our seats were in one of the upper deck corners (a little below the middle row), and suffice it to say there were a lot of fans from both sides in attendance in our section, getting into it pretty good for much of the game...I gotta admit, crazy as it sounds now, it was actually relatively good-natured ribbing back and forth...occasionally things got heated, but nothing ever escalated into potential fisticuffs.  Anyway the Devils and Rangers traded goals over the first two periods...the Devils scored their first three goals on power plays...they needed all of 6 seconds to score on the first one, and 4 to score on their second...on the third one, they "slacked" and needed all of 38 seconds to score (so 48 seconds of power play time to score three goals, in case you're not keeping track at home, heh heh...we may never see this in a Devils game again).  My dad's commentary on that amounted to "Wow, the Rangers really suck at killing penalties, don't they?"  I offered, "No Dad, they suck at that and everything else!  That's what Rangers do!"

So halfway through the 3rd it's still 3-3, then the Devils finally seem to say "Enough" and quickly score three goals BAM BAM BAM (in about 3 1/2 mins) and put the thing away...at this point, Devils fans were REALLY letting the Rags fans have it (including my bro, which I found pretty goddamned hilarious...my bro was a pretty good sport about it).  My dad, who was only 48 at the time (younger than I am now, yikes) was a bit "overwhelmed" by it all...on the drive home he kept saying how "awful" everyone had acted...it was the first time I remember him starting to sound old.  I told him "Aw man, you should see what it's like when the Flyers are here.  Fights all over the place!"  He didn't go to another game until about 20 years later...and now he LOVES it.

• Like 1

Halloween Kills was an absolute dumpster fire, this had to be some of the most unlikeable and downright stupid supporting cast of characters in any movie ever, I was actually rooting for Michael to off everyone. 

Besides milking it for more money there's no reason this should have been stretched out into a trilogy, whatever happens in Halloween Ends could have easily happened here.