official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

I flew to Germany in 1992, to go see my bro (he was spending a semester in Heidelberg)…this was when smoking was a still a thing on international flights (of course I made sure my seat was in the smoking section)…as soon as the “You can light up” announcement was made, you could hear the chorus of lighters, drags being taken, and “Ahhhhhhh”s.  Quite the different era. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I flew to Germany in 1992, to go see my bro (he was spending a semester in Heidelberg)…this was when smoking was a still a thing on international flights (of course I made sure my seat was in the smoking section)…as soon as the “You can light up” announcement was made, you could hear the chorus of lighters, drags being taken, and “Ahhhhhhh”s.  Quite the different era. 

That sounds so disgusting lol. 

• Like 1

I must be getting old because I still remember smoking on airplanes and smoking on the CAA concourse.  I always found it pretty amazing that the smoke never really made it's way into the bowl in the arena.  The concourse used to have a pretty noticeable haze to it during the intermissions.

I turned 21 in 2005.  By that time smoking was banned in bars in NJ.  I used to forgot when I went to bars in PA that smoking was still allowed there and would walk into rooms that were full of smoke.

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That sounds so disgusting lol. 

Well, yeah, heh heh.

And of course, I remember going to bars in NJ, pre-smoking pan.  Even if you weren't a smoker, you went home smelling like it.  Glad those days are over.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, yeah, heh heh.

And of course, I remember going to bars in NJ, pre-smoking pan.  Even if you weren't a smoker, you went home smelling like it.  Glad those days are over.

As a kid I got accused of smoking by my parents because I used to hang out at a (possibly mafia owned) baseball card store and those guys used to smoke constantly, and I would go home smelling like it. And most of the time I would leave if there were a few of them there, just because I hated the smell so much, and it would still get on me. 

When Europeans make fun of Americans for being largely overweight (it's true), I almost always counter with the excessive amount of smoking Europeans do.  I almost forgot how much they smoke over there until I was back there again in 2019.

I honestly think that is part of the reason why they stay by and large thinner than Americans.  It's because they smoke like chimneys.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

When Europeans make fun of Americans for being largely overweight (it's true), I almost always counter with the excessive amount of smoking Europeans do.  I almost forgot how much they smoke over there until I was back there again in 2019.

I honestly think that is part of the reason why they stay by and large thinner than Americans.  It's because they smoke like chimneys.

The worst part of quitting smoking (after the initial withdrawal issues) is that your appetite initially goes through the roof...you just feel like you want to inhale everything.  And of course that comes with a "hefty" price.

Anyone watch my heart can't beat unless you tell it to? It was on this list of top horror movies from 2021 on rotten tomatoes...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-horror-movies-of-2021-ranked/ 

Absolutely awful and I have not the slightest clue as to why it's ranked that high on there. The audience score is significantly lower and I definitely get why. Boring, unlikeable characters and ultimately an absolute waste of time.

In case anyone is interested but doesn't wanna waste their time...

Spoiler

It's about a brother and a sister who kill people for their blood to feed their younger brother who is a vampire. Why is he a vampire? They never explain why. He's a whiny unlikeable character who is always weak and sick even after being fed blood. I was hoping at the end when he fed on someone properly that he would transform and grow into a stronger character but it never happened.

Edited by Satans Hockey

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Anyone watch my heart can't beat unless you tell it to? It was on this list of top horror movies from 2021 on rotten tomatoes...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-horror-movies-of-2021-ranked/ 

Absolutely awful and I have not the slightest clue as to why it's ranked that high on there. The audience score is significantly lower and I definitely get why. Boring, unlikeable characters and ultimately an absolute waste of time.

In case anyone is interested but doesn't wanna waste their time...

Hide contents

It's about a brother and a sister who kill people for their blood to feed their younger brother who is a vampire. Why is he a vampire? They never explain why. He's a whiny unlikeable character who is always weak and sick even after being fed blood. I was hoping at the end when he fed on someone properly that he would transform and grow into a stronger character but it never happened.

Maybe because I never paid all that much attention to it, but it seems the opinions of the audience and the opinions of critics has gotten much wider over the past decade.

• Like 1

So... Any other Diablo 2 Resurrected players on this board?

D2 was my heroin back in 05/06, and I've gotta say the remastered version is.. hitting the same spot. Thankfully I don't have the ability to sink 8 hrs a day into it now so it won't be quite as life-consuming.

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone ever watch the Spanish language channels to see how much you know? I’ve been doing it a lot over the last year or so, even if it’s just 5 minutes a day, and I think I understand much more than I did. 

No but now I want to.  I don't know why but it made me laugh reading this.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So... Any other Diablo 2 Resurrected players on this board?

D2 was my heroin back in 05/06, and I've gotta say the remastered version is.. hitting the same spot. Thankfully I don't have the ability to sink 8 hrs a day into it now so it won't be quite as life-consuming.

I was playing D1 when my parents told me that my dog didn't make it at the vet so I can't play those games anymore.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm telling you, it works. I was watching the Spanish news last night about a baby with progeria and I understood the whole goddamn thing. 

Are you sure that wasn't a Lord of the Rings trailer or something?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

finished sopranos last week. it was good. dragged out a little and got very annoyed with tony constantly breathing and eating. the pinelands episode was the best. 

started the wire this week. it's growing on me, i am really likin it. 

Pine Barrens. Are you actually from NJ? :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Pine Barrens. Are you actually from NJ? :P

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

ahh i had a sh!t load of beers. same thing. 

Had the same reaction lol. 

Used to camp in the Pine Barrens as a kid with the Scouts. Every time we went, we played Manhunt after dark. Every year, it became an actual manhunt when some idiot kid got lost in the woods. So accurate lol. 

• Haha 2

On 10/28/2021 at 10:27 PM, mfitz804 said:

Anyone ever watch the Spanish language channels to see how much you know? I’ve been doing it a lot over the last year or so, even if it’s just 5 minutes a day, and I think I understand much more than I did. 

Second semester junior year college I had a roommate from Chile, who spoke hardly any English. Senior year my roommate was Panamanian. He had a good command of English since he had private tutors. When he got drunk he would mimic his tutors with their Texan and Scottish accents.

Anyway, I was exposed to a lot of Spanish, even though I never studied it. I did have a great accent with the few phrases I picked up.

Keep watching, it will grow on you!