official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

On 10/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

finished sopranos last week. it was good. dragged out a little and got very annoyed with tony constantly breathing and eating. the pinelands episode was the best. 

started the wire this week. it's growing on me, i am really likin it. 

Pinelands is not inappropriate. Pine Barrens describes an ecosystem which occurs in Southern NJ, as well as Middlesex County, eastern Long Island, and parts of Massachusetts. The Soprano episode was not even FILMED in NJ Pine Barrens, but in upstate NY, IIRC. 

"Pinelands" is common nomenclature in Ocean County.

Watched The Many Saints of Newark the other day.  That really should have been a mini-series instead of a 2-hour film.  I thought it was alright, but very rushed.

Re-started watching the Sopranos after that.  Every time I re-watch it I feel like I pick up on little tiny details that I didn't notice the previous times I have watched them.  It's amazing how well they did with the details in that show.

• Like 1

I’m going to give all of you guys a tremendous gift this morning. I’m going to let you in on the secret of the world’s best pants. 

I bought my first pair of these back when the company was still doing its Kickstarter. They’re definitely sweatpants, but they don’t look like them. They’re put together like they are regular pants, and come in waist/inseam sizing like regular pants.

I wore these every day for  3 months when my office was closed for quarantine (I have all of the colors). Even when I had to run to the office. 

And I’m still doing it on days when I don’t have to dress up for work, which are most days. Nobody ever notices they are sweatpants, and I stay comfortable all day. 

I also wear them for casual wear, and if you were inclined, you could wear them to the gym also. 

They are a little pricy. You’re worth it. But also, they usually run a 20% off sale for Black Friday. If they are too much and you want to give them a try, sign up for their mailing list. 

I’m Not really a guy who recommends products, but these are awesome and I thought I would mention them to my guys. This is NOT a referral link and I get nothing from it. 

https://www.publicrec.com/products/all-day-every-day-pant?firstAvailable=true&variant=32884014972962

On 10/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

finished sopranos last week. it was good. dragged out a little and got very annoyed with tony constantly breathing and eating. the pinelands episode was the best. 

started the wire this week. it's growing on me, i am really likin it. 

I work right by the projects that are in season 1 of the wire.

tumblr_muc1hoQjat1r7gbyyo3_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Shocking 1

The deaths and injuries from people being crushed by overcrowding at Travis Scott's festival in Houston last night is so awful, saw tons of videos and images of kids getting cpr, staff not caring and nothing being done to stop a situation where more people could have gotten the help they needed. 

8 confirmed deaths and 300 or so injured. Just awful, ugh. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The deaths and injuries from people being crushed by overcrowding at Travis Scott's festival in Houston last night is so awful, saw tons of videos and images of kids getting cpr, staff not caring and nothing being done to stop a situation where more people could have gotten the help they needed. 

8 confirmed deaths and 300 or so injured. Just awful, ugh. 

Horrible. We had a similar incident here in Cincinnati back in the 70’s at a Who concert. 11 deaths in that one. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Saw Edgar Wright’s new movie tonight Last Night in Soho. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Anya Taylor-Joy is so good in everything she does. 

it was amazing, i went opening night, couldnt wait for that movie. I loved Thomasin McKenzie in everything ive seen her in too

• Like 1

My daughter was tired tonight and went to bed about an hour early. After about an hour, I noticed that she had forgotten to put her retainer in. 

So I brought it up to her, woke her up and gave it to her. I heard her moving around a bit after, but I figured she was just going to the bathroom or whatever. 

Moments later, she came downstairs fully dressed in her school uniform. I’m looking at her, confused as to why she is dressed. She’s looking at me, wondering why I’m wearing pajamas. 

“You mean it’s not morning right now??”

Kids are weird lol. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

any of you an unfortunate millennial getting giga-fvcked by the housing market? 

we did everything right. we have 20% savings for a downpayment, we’re each established in our professional field making good money. we we’re pre-approved for a $750k loan, all we want is a cute little 2 bedroom in the $350-$400 range. We have made FOURTEEN offers, ALL of them over asking.

We are 0-14. 

Every house we lose out to someone who bought a 6 bedroom house in 1994 on an olive garden assistant manager’s salary for three nickels who now has $900k in equity to offer $100k over asking waived contingency. Half of the communities near me are 55-older, but if you’re not 55 or a trust fund baby it’s impossible to buy a house right now. Our landlord knows it so, with our firstborn due in a few months, he’s putting a gun in our mouth and DOUBLING our rent if we want to stay another year. This guy can’t even spell, aggressively forgets what day of the week it is, but because he bought this place for the price of a VCR in 1996 he has all of the power. 

It’s a sh!t game in a broken system and I’m about to go juaquin-phoenix-style joker if i have to do it much longer.

Yeah as a seller the housing market is great.  As a buyer, not so much.  My wife and I purchased our current home in the summer of 2019 and since then the value has gone up approx 15-16%.  Every home in our neighborhood (I live in northern part of Somerset County, NJ) that has been up for sale in the past 12-15 months have sold within 1-2 weeks and almost all buyers are New Yorkers paying well over list.  Every time there is an open house nearby you pass by and see nothing but NY license plates parked outside.

I have a few buddies who are looking to buy/sell and they said buying is just a brutal process.  One of them had a Saturday where they had 6(!) homes they were going to look at that day that were put up on the market that week.  He got a call in the morning right before him and his wife were about to leave the house and their agent told them that 5 of the 6 homes were already under contract.  It's just nuts right now.

I have been representing clients in residential real estate closings for 20 years. This is the first time that we are seeing property sell for above asking price in New York.

My brother-in-law recently sold a seven-figure property above asking price in three days.

I do not envy first time buyers right now.

I bought my first house right as the 2008 Bubble blew up and my house value has blown past even that high-water mark. It is insane right now, with so many bailing from the cities into the suburbs I doubt it slows down. There is only so many housing units and the demand isn't going to dip even with market fluctuations.

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Our realtor just got the details: for a $410 house, we offered $450 plus $1k over next highest offer up to 475. It was bought $500k cash waived contingency. 

Banks won’t lend $500k to first time homebuyers on a house with a $410 appraisal. So what do we do? How is there no room in the wheel for the 30 year olds starting a family with $80k in savings and a joint salary over $200k? How is that even remotely possible? We did everything right and we’re fvcked — what about those who weren’t as lucky as we are? Those who had trouble getting a job after the economy was torched while they were still teenagers? 

I have a subordinate at my job who’s in his 50s and he made the “avocado toast” comparison at me last week. “If people your age spent less money at starbucks and making avocado toast they’d have savings and could afford a house but instead they just want to complain and complain.” He’s due for a performance review and I have half a mind to tell him “you should’ve had savings” when he inevitably asks for a raise due to the bloated cost of living in my area.

I was actually wondering about the bolded in a market like this.  This screws buyers and really screws first time buyers who are likely financing on their first home.  On our second home (we have purchased 3 homes over the past 11 years) the entire process was literally stopped dead in the tracks over the bank's appraisal coming in $500 less than the purchase price.  Yes, literally five-hundred friggin dollars.  My lawyer was astonished and my realtor was pissed to say the least.  Thankfully it was resolved later that day with the buyers agreeing to drop the price by $500 as they were looking to get out of there ASAP (they were underwater on their mortgage and had to bring $8K to the closing).

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Our realtor just got the details: for a $410 house, we offered $450 plus $1k over next highest offer up to 475. It was bought $500k cash waived contingency. 

Banks won’t lend $500k to first time homebuyers on a house with a $410 appraisal. So what do we do? How is there no room in the wheel for the 30 year olds starting a family with $80k in savings and a joint salary over $200k? How is that even remotely possible? We did everything right and we’re fvcked — what about those who weren’t as lucky as we are? Those who had trouble getting a job after the economy was torched while they were still teenagers? 

I have a subordinate at my job who’s in his 50s and he made the “avocado toast” comparison at me last week. “If people your age spent less money at starbucks and making avocado toast they’d have savings and could afford a house but instead they just want to complain and complain.” He’s due for a performance review and I have half a mind to tell him “you should’ve had savings” when he inevitably asks for a raise due to the bloated cost of living in my area.

Two things:

First, sorry to hear what you're going through.  Sucks when you do everything right, try to set yourself up to be able to take a nice step forward, and continually find yourself on the outside looking in.  

Second, screw that guy and his unnecessary comment.  No reason to paint everyone with the same wide brush.  I'm in my 50s and I personally feel for young people like you.  I bought my first house when I was 34, and I have no idea how we would've swung it today (answer:  it would have been impossible).

And on a side note, it's pretty obvious that it's well-known in my area that many young people will be stuck paying rent, because "Luxury Apartments" (apparently every new apartment is a "luxury" apartment) are sprouting up EVERYWHERE.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976