official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

49 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

new matrix was good the last half. wonder if they continue or just end it. 

I'm gonna check it out this week. I just discovered the Animatrix on HBO Max and it's fantastic. I'm not a big animation guy for no reason really except for maybe not a lot of exposure to it, but after falling in love with Love, Death, & Robots I decided to check this out and I'm really appreciating animation as an art form.

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

I'm gonna check it out this week. I just discovered the Animatrix on HBO Max and it's fantastic. I'm not a big animation guy for no reason really except for maybe not a lot of exposure to it, but after falling in love with Love, Death, & Robots I decided to check this out and I'm really appreciating animation as an art form.

i gotta check that out. thanks

3 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Anyone know anything about gold jewelry. 

All I know is the price of gold is fvcking insane right now. I bought my wife a necklace she wanted for her birthday recently and I couldn’t believe how much it was. 

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

What an absolute embarrassing mess in Virginia on 95, some people stuck in their cars for over 24 hours in freezing cold weather. They didn't salt or plow anything in advance knowing there was gonna be some snow(not even a lot of it either)

How do you plow in advance? Lol. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

*have plows ready to go in advance lol 

Apparently they weren't plowing anything at all when it was snowing 

Yeah that's every fvcking plow driver in every state. Drive around with your plow up doing absolutely fvck-all for hours, then put the plows down once the Overtime pay kicks in later in the evening. I actually scream at plow drivers I see with their plows up by my house. Laziest hardest workers ever. 

Around here its the Department of Sanitation that plows. One significant snowfall and they are too busy to actually collect your garbage for like 3 weeks. 

I also watched the truck pick up only one side of my one-way street (they usually do both in one trip), and then come back after 3pm to do the other side. Obviously doing it for the OT hours. 

56 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just like what happened to us in NJ a few years ago. I spent 8 hours at a zin burger because I couldn't get home. Trucks were sliding down the mountain on the way up to Parsippany. I finally got home around midnight.

My sister and her family had the same issue on Route 80 in PA years ago. They managed to get to a hotel parking lot and found a huge line of people looking for rooms. 

But this was right before everyone had smartphones, but my brother in law had one. He goes online, books a room, and just walks out of the line up to the check in desk, much to the annoyance of numerous people ahead of him. 

Would never work today. 

15 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just like what happened to us in NJ a few years ago. I spent 8 hours at a zin burger because I couldn't get home. Trucks were sliding down the mountain on the way up to Parsippany. I finally got home around midnight.

Yeah think I know what storm you're talking about...took me over 3 hours to make a trip that usually lasts 30 mins or so.  And the only reason that it wasn't even longer is that I took a couple of backroads that most people didn't bother with.  If not for that, probably would've been well over 4 hours.  

16 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ah yes. The night my 45-55 minute commute turned into 5 hours. I had to take all kinds of weird roads because the parkway was stopped dead for 20 miles. I’ll never forget that night. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah think I know what storm you're talking about...took me over 3 hours to make a trip that usually lasts 30 mins or so.  And the only reason that it wasn't even longer is that I took a couple of backroads that most people didn't bother with.  If not for that, probably would've been well over 4 hours.  

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ah yes. The night my 45-55 minute commute turned into 5 hours. I had to take all kinds of weird roads because the parkway was stopped dead for 20 miles. I’ll never forget that night. 

Living on a mountain off Rt10, there was no way around having to go up a big hill to get to my apartment. I spent almost an hour alone, after they cleared the trucks stuck on Rt10 blocking the lanes, trying to get up the driveway to my apartment complex. It had a short but very steep driveway and no one came to plow it(despite there being a plow parked in the parking lot). My accord would get about 2/3 the way up and slide back down. Went to a local business to see if I could leave my car overnight and he said no. Just kind of a crazy evening all around.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Living on a mountain off Rt10, there was no way around having to go up a big hill to get to my apartment. I spent almost an hour alone, after they cleared the trucks stuck on Rt10 blocking the lanes, trying to get up the driveway to my apartment complex. It had a short but very steep driveway and no one came to plow it(despite there being a plow parked in the parking lot). My accord would get about 2/3 the way up and slide back down. Went to a local business to see if I could leave my car overnight and he said no. Just kind of a crazy evening all around.

Powder Mill?  Briefly dated someone who lived up there, back in 1996.  

And man, the guy who wouldn't let you leave your car...man, that's kinda weak...sure, he was probably concerned about being "responsible" for your car if it was left on his property, whatever, but sometimes it's just nice to see people step out of that kind of zone and simply do one another a solid, by daring to take into account extreme circumstances.

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Powder Mill?  Briefly dated someone who lived up there, back in 1996.  

And man, the guy who wouldn't let you leave your car...man, that's kinda weak...sure, he was probably concerned about being "responsible" for your car if it was left on his property, whatever, but sometimes it's just nice to see people step out of that kind of zone and simply do one another a solid, by daring to take into account extreme circumstances.

Basically, yea. I lived at Mill Run, which is right off Rt10. Still on the mountain, but kind of at the foot before you make that last big push up the to the Powder Mill Apartments all the way near the top.

• Like 1