official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

Just now, MB3 said:

My dude, it took you 4 posts into the discussion to even realize what player we were talking about. How are you arguing this feverishly when you can’t even keep track of the argument?!

The number one statistical correlation for hall of famers is WAR. Hits ignores defense and ignores context. Home runs ignore everything else. RBIs are as useless as +/-. WAR is *the* stay.

There is not a single player in the history of the sport that is HoF eligible (ignoring those being kept out because of the steroid era or gambling on their own games) with 80+ WAR that is not in the hall of fame. That is just math. Mike Trout could retire today and he is a first ballot hall of famer. 

that is not an opinion. that is not a hot take. that is not wild baseless speculation. that is a fact. 

You’re still arguing about the wrong thing. Nobody is debating whether Trout gets in to the HOF. You are still debating the value of WAR, nobody is talking about that. 

The argument is whether he has better career stats than DiMaggio. He doesn’t. You know he doesn’t. It was you engaging in hyperbole, which you do constantly and you know it. Just admit it, it’s fine, and we can all move on. 

2598FFDD-3871-4FB6-B72A-153C7B4304F8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

AND ONE MORE FVCKING THING YOU LITTLE SH!T.

i admire your ability to engage in feverish debate regardless of the circumstances. i love u and i respect u. 

❤️

Am I the one doing that or are you? Does your back hurt from all of the goalposts moving?

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Lmao baseball is a joke

Everybody has their sports that don’t “take”.  For me, that’s basketball.  And though I can kinda sorta watch soccer (my dad watches his fair share, so not like when I’m hanging with him I’m going to tell him to shut it off), I find it an extremely flawed sport.  For a 90-minute game, there’s way too few genuine scoring chances and actual goals.  And of course players constantly dropping and writhing like they’ve been shot…that gets real old quick. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Everybody has their sports that don’t “take”.  For me, that’s basketball.  And though I can kinda sorta watch soccer (my dad watches his fair share, so not like when I’m hanging with him I’m going to tell him to shut it off), I find it an extremely flawed sport.  For a 90-minute game, there’s way too few genuine scoring chances and actual goals.  And of course players constantly dropping and writhing like they’ve been shot…that gets real old quick. 

Absolutely. Mine is also basketball. I even tried during an NHL strike to get more into it and it didn’t take. 

Baseball is my clear second sport, but at this point it’s a very distant second. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Absolutely. Mine is also basketball. I even tried during an NHL strike to get more into it and it didn’t take. 

Baseball is my clear second sport, but at this point it’s a very distant second. 

I’ve mentioned it, but my dad used to take me and my bro to Nets games, when they were playing at Rutgers (BBA was under construction).  When you’re as young as we were, you just have fun going somewhere.  I went to some Nets games and a couple of Seton Hall games, but I simply realized, “This just isn’t clicking with me, at all.”  I could follow it all fine, just never enjoyed it like I do other sports.

For me, it’s hockey #1, football and baseball #2.  And that’s mostly it. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re still arguing about the wrong thing. Nobody is debating whether Trout gets in to the HOF. You are still debating the value of WAR, nobody is talking about that. 

The argument is whether he has better career stats than DiMaggio. He doesn’t. You know he doesn’t. It was you engaging in hyperbole, which you do constantly and you know it. Just admit it, it’s fine, and we can all move on. 

2598FFDD-3871-4FB6-B72A-153C7B4304F8.jpeg

Am I the one doing that or are you? Does your back hurt from all of the goalposts moving?

If you didn’t read that meme in Billy’s voice, you’re doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

All the cup adjustments, digging in at the plate, praying, rosin bag playing, steroid use, multiple visits to the mound, cap adjustments, glove adjustments, constant cheating and analytics ruined baseball.  It is boring and slow.  The all-time HR hitter has asterisk next to his name.  The Astros World series champions has an asterisk, and the brain child of the cheat is still coaching.  I would watch soccer any day over baseball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Basketball and soccer are the 2 sports I can’t get into. One has too much scoring, and the other not enough. 

Last three Red Bulls games were a 4-3 win, 5-1 loss and a 5-4 loss(actually tied it at 5 in the dying seconds but was ruled offsides) last night but the heat and their lack of  quality roster depth was a big reason for that as well 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Soccer has got to be my number 2 after hockey.  I've been trying to get into baseball but it hasn't worked yet.  Too many games.

I've recently gotten into F1 though.  Now that is a sport full of excitement and drama.  I think NASCAR is the lamest sport to watch but the 90 minute F1 races are perfect for me.

10 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Soccer has got to be my number 2 after hockey.  I've been trying to get into baseball but it hasn't worked yet.  Too many games.

I've recently gotten into F1 though.  Now that is a sport full of excitement and drama.  I think NASCAR is the lamest sport to watch but the 90 minute F1 races are perfect for me.

As someone who loves cars, I keep saying "Eventually I'm going to give auto racing a chance."  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As someone who loves cars, I keep saying "Eventually I'm going to give auto racing a chance."  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  

If you want a shot in the arm, check out the Netflix series "Drive to Survive".  It's incredible.  Basically Netflix sends a crew to follow the F1 season and they give you a really nice inside look at the drivers and teams.  It starts with the 2018 season and continues from there.  I think they released the latest in January which was the 2021 racing season.

It's also a ton of fun to wager on.  Especially live betting.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Last three Red Bulls games were a 4-3 win, 5-1 loss and a 5-4 loss(actually tied it at 5 in the dying seconds but was ruled offsides) last night but the heat and their lack of  quality roster depth was a big reason for that as well 

But that’s not really typical of your average soccer game in my experience. I’m sure you’ve sat through more than your fair share that were 1-0. 

Anyway, not trying to knock the sport. Following the English teams actually seems like it could be kind of fun (at least they have the top players), it’s just not for me.

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But that’s not really typical of your average soccer game in my experience. I’m sure you’ve sat through more than your fair share that were 1-0. 

Anyway, not trying to knock the sport. Following the English teams actually seems like it could be kind of fun (at least they have the top players), it’s just not for me.

Yeah, in the Premier League, lots of 1-0 games...and "draws".

No playoffs in the Premier League of course, but when certain soccer championships are occasionally decided by penalty kicks...I just can't get behind that.  

57 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I went from "couldn't tell you a single Formula 1 driver in the history of the sport" to watching every race and feverishly cheering for some drivers and against other drivers because of that series. 

The same documentary crew is doing one for the PGA that should come out in a year or so and I cannot WAIT. 

They did such a great job of profiling the drivers and telling their stories.  I think knowing the relationships between the drivers and teams makes the sport that much more attractive.  I make a trip up to Montreal with a bunch of guys from my hockey team every few years (first one was for Marty's 551st win) and we are hitting the Canadian GP next summer.  I'm fvcking stoked.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I still find it the closest thing to hockey and I've sat through plenty of low scoring hockey games in my life too. 

I might be in the minority but I have 0 interest in the English teams, I watch the Red Bulls and the US teams and I'll watch the occasional champions league game and always the final but have absolutely 0 interest in who wins. 

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still find it the closest thing to hockey and I've sat through plenty of low scoring hockey games in my life too. 

I think part of the difference is mental, the soccer field is so huge and there’s so many times the ball just gets kicked across it and nothing happens. 

You are absolutely right, but I can watch a 1-0 hockey game from the edge of my seat while a 1-0 soccer game can’t hold my interest. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think part of the difference is mental, the soccer field is so huge and there’s so many times the ball just gets kicked across it and nothing happens. 

You are absolutely right, but I can watch a 1-0 hockey game from the edge of my seat while a 1-0 soccer game can’t hold my interest. 

90-minute games where the teams might register 15-20 shots on goal COMBINED (and I'm being generous).

And yeah plenty of 1-0 hockey games that come down to excellent goaltending...not all of course, but I've seen my share.