official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

On 8/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Actually I've never been much of a space show kinda guy, as much as I love astronomy. Worth the apple subscription?

Speaking of TV, House of the Dragon premieres tonight and I'm super psyched about it. This series could be redemption from the abysmal last few seasons of GoT.

TLDR: I'm very excited for some H.o.t. D.

ehhhh it's an ok show. you should be able to get a free week or month trial if you never used it before. 

i never watched got yet. lol

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A lot of people hate the yankees, a lot of people hate baseball, but what Aaron Judge is doing right now is fvcking incredible. 

He's on pace to break the all-time (non-steroid) home-run record in baseball, currently held by Roger Maris at 61 (done in 1961.... 61 years ago. Kinda freaky.) That in itself is insane, but here's why it's even crazier.

1. He's on pace to do this in the lowest offensive season in decades. Everyone is calling this the "dead ball" season. Nobody is really hitting this year; OPS (specifically slugging) is WAY down from previous years. The stat nerds swear it's because of the baseball itself -- hard hit percentage and barrel percentage are at a fine pace, but the ball just.... isn't going anywhere. Except off of Aaron's bat.
  2. He's on a team that's sporting the 3rd worst offense in baseball since June. Which means he's getting absolutely ZERO lineup protection. He's the most intentionally-walked guy in the league and even still, he's absolutely crushing pitchers who dare throw him something over the plate. He faces the highest percentage of off-speed and out-of-the-zone pitches in baseball (by a wide margin) and still absolutely pummels the baseball. 
  3. If the current pace holds up, he'll out-homer the next closest player by 16 home runs. In hockey terms, that's like a guy dropping 50 goals without anyone else in the league scoring more than 34. How rare of a stat is this? It hasn't happened since Ruth in 1932. For a more modern example, in 2019 when Alonso lead the league with 53 -- there were TWENTY THREE players who were within 16 dingers of that number. That's a good example of two things: 1 -- how far ahead of the pack Aaron is this year, and 2 -- how few home runs are being hit this season. 

It's the most impressive single season performance I've ever seen from an athlete. You don't have to even like baseball to see how cool this is. 

The man bet on himself, and he is going to get PAID. 

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A lot of people hate the yankees, a lot of people hate baseball, but what Aaron Judge is doing right now is fvcking incredible. 

He's on pace to break the all-time (non-steroid) home-run record in baseball, currently held by Roger Maris at 61 (done in 1961.... 61 years ago. Kinda freaky.) That in itself is insane, but here's why it's even crazier.

1. He's on pace to do this in the lowest offensive season in decades. Everyone is calling this the "dead ball" season. Nobody is really hitting this year; OPS (specifically slugging) is WAY down from previous years. The stat nerds swear it's because of the baseball itself -- hard hit percentage and barrel percentage are at a fine pace, but the ball just.... isn't going anywhere. Except off of Aaron's bat.
  2. He's on a team that's sporting the 3rd worst offense in baseball since June. Which means he's getting absolutely ZERO lineup protection. He's the most intentionally-walked guy in the league and even still, he's absolutely crushing pitchers who dare throw him something over the plate. He faces the highest percentage of off-speed and out-of-the-zone pitches in baseball (by a wide margin) and still absolutely pummels the baseball. 
  3. If the current pace holds up, he'll out-homer the next closest player by 16 home runs. In hockey terms, that's like a guy dropping 50 goals without anyone else in the league scoring more than 34. How rare of a stat is this? It hasn't happened since Ruth in 1932. For a more modern example, in 2019 when Alonso lead the league with 53 -- there were TWENTY THREE players who were within 16 dingers of that number. That's a good example of two things: 1 -- how far ahead of the pack Aaron is this year, and 2 -- how few home runs are being hit this season. 

It's the most impressive single season performance I've ever seen from an athlete. You don't have to even like baseball to see how cool this is. 

And he’s right handed so he isn’t even fully benefitting from the ridiculous dimensions of Yankee Stadium. Impressive. I will be way happier about it if he uses this season to sign a huge deal with someone other than the Yankees. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

A total of 1 of his 51 home runs could be considered a "Yankee Stadium cheapie" and even that one would've been out in 6 other parks. I can't find the exact stat, but Fangraphs (I think) broke down the leaders into three categories: "No doubters", "Home run in most parks", and "Wall scrapers." Like 90% of Judge's were in the "no doubters" category. He's destroying the ball.

(Also pointing out a funny misconception, but Yankee Stadium despite having a short porch is towards the lower half of the league and is actually considered a 'pitchers park'. The depth to the wall in left center & center field is massive, and the dimensions of the park make it really, really tough to hit any doubles. It also tanks production for left-handed batters who aren't "home run or bust" guys, because right fielders can play super shallow down the line and catch up to anything that gets near the warning track.)

Right, but if Judge were left handed, how many extra home runs might be have playing in Yankee Stadium, being a home run guy? I would say at least 10, probably more. He might have even passed the steroid record. 

All assumptions being he is not on steroids, of course. 

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Haha yeah that's a fair bet. He uses the whole field so fvcking well, it's hard to say.

The amount of testing done in the MLB, I'd say there's about a 0% chance anyone is using steroids. Even the games superstars like Tatis Jr are being suspended for taking non-steroid banned substances. 

Also if someone that's 6'-7" takes steroids I'm pretty sure he'd be hitting like 800 foot home runs. Man that would be cool to watch. 

He does, but how many times has he flied out to left field where the equivalent shot to right field in Yankee Stadium would have been a home run? I am saying at least to, potentially much more. 

I don't believe he is on steroids, it would be too easy for him to get caught. Not that it has stopped some people, but I have to believe he's being tested and he's passing. 

Mark McGwire was a pretty big dude too, he hit some bombs but not quite to the 800 foot level lol. 

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

judgian update: he hit number 54 today. In early september. 18 ahead of second place in baseball (Schwarber) and 

He's currently on pace for 65 homers -- 62 would give him sole possession of the non-steroid home run record. 

If you have time, here's all 54 so far.  I counted 2 Yankee Stadium cheapies -- and one of them would've been gone in 7 other parks so it's not like it's all that cheap. Most of them are to straight away center, which is remarkable. Some of the pulled balls are absolute nukes. 

He's the runaway MVP at this point. He has the traditional stats (1st in HR, RBI, 4th in hits, 4th in batting average), he has the rate stats (1st in OBP, OPS), he has the advanced stats (1st in wRC+, 1st in WPA, 1st in OPS+) and he has the WAR (first by over 2-WAR over any other position player in the AL).

Honestly, they should wipe those records from the record book if they’re tainted. Otherwise this guy is chasing a record that’s not even really a record. 

Talk about betting on yourself and WINNING.

So curious to see where he winds up.  I think it’s between San Fran and the Yankees, with the Mets a very distant third. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Talk about betting on yourself and WINNING.

So curious to see where he winds up.  I think it’s between San Fran and the Yankees, with the Mets a very distant third. 

I vote Mets because it would piss off Yankees fans the most. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I vote Mets because it would piss off Yankees fans the most. 

I think Judge knows that too…even if he doesn’t stay with Yanks, I don’t think he’d do that to them.  I think he’ll always have feelings for that organization.  Mets could certainly throw a ton his way if so inclined, but even they’ll have limits…and they have a lot of guys to pay already.  I think it’s Judge to the Mets only if the Yanks and/or Giants don’t make big offers. 

We're running our annual NFL survival pick game and numbers are light this year. 

Come join us!  

Rules are simple:

Pick a winner every week by the 1pm Sunday game.
Can't re-use teams
Two strikes and you're out
Be the last team standing

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/register/joinprivategroup?gid=15054&invitation_key=e2200e84fcdbf7be

• Like 1