official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I never knew Barney had so much controversy lol... 

Its gotta be the big kid, you know that one tall one that really looked out of place with all the other kids, probably cause he was like 5 years older than the rest of the cast. He probably snapped from getting mocked.

okay for real, all the stuff on that preview were what we joked about growing up....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So, Aaron Judge did the damn thing. Despite seeing only 22.7% of pitches in the strike zone since hitting number 61 (to put it in perspective, prime Barry Bonds who shattered the single season walk record saw 41.4% of pitches in the zone), Aaron Judge has hit number 62, giving him the all time HOF-eligible (non-steroid) home run record. 

Unbelievable thing to be able to watch.

40 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So, Aaron Judge did the damn thing. Despite seeing only 22.7% of pitches in the strike zone since hitting number 61 (to put it in perspective, prime Barry Bonds who shattered the single season walk record saw 41.4% of pitches in the zone), Aaron Judge has hit number 62, giving him the all time HOF-eligible (non-steroid) home run record. 

Unbelievable thing to be able to watch.

Happy for him, truly.  First guy to break the record the right way.  In many fans’ eyes, the record is Judge’s, even if the “official” record says otherwise. 

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

@Satans Hockey I’m seeing a lot on Twitter regarding this being MSG’s last broadcast at RB Arena, and Cangi talking about not knowing the future.

Is MSG dropping NYRB?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was at today's game.

There won't be any local broadcasts in the MLS starting next season. MLS is putting the entire thing on Apple+ as an add on with no blackouts but we don't think there are gonna be any "home team" announcers. It will just all be one broadcast for each game. I still think there will be some national games on ABC, espn, fox sports etc but I'm not 100% sure. 

The nice thing is that all season ticket holders in the entire league are going to be given the Apple+ MLS subscription included with their tickets.

I thought went Cangi announced he was leaving the Devils that he would be one of the top commentators for this Apple+ deal and I still think he might be but just probably can't say so yet. He would overall have way less travel than he ever did with the Devils. 

It is gonna be weird not hearing Steve and Shep call their games anymore cause it's been like 21 years of them calling their games, here's a nice article about it all... 

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2022/10/08/the-end-of-an-era-after-two-decades-messing-cangialosi-will-work-their-final-msg-networks-red-bulls-regular-season-broadcast-on-sunday-as-will-gingras/

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was at today's game.

There won't be any local broadcasts in the MLS starting next season. MLS is putting the entire thing on Apple+ as an add on with no blackouts but we don't think there are gonna be any "home team" announcers. It will just all be one broadcast for each game. I still think there will be some national games on ABC, espn, fox sports etc but I'm not 100% sure. 

The nice thing is that all season ticket holders in the entire league are going to be given the Apple+ MLS subscription included with their tickets.

I thought went Cangi announced he was leaving the Devils that he would be one of the top commentators for this Apple+ deal and I still think he might be but just probably can't say so yet. He would overall have way less travel than he ever did with the Devils. 

It is gonna be weird not hearing Steve and Shep call their games anymore cause it's been like 21 years of them calling their games, here's a nice article about it all... 

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2022/10/08/the-end-of-an-era-after-two-decades-messing-cangialosi-will-work-their-final-msg-networks

This may backfire for MLS.  Most casual people may randomly find it on tv and leave it on.  No casual fan, random person is downloading Apple TV, and paying just to watch soccer..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

This may backfire for MLS.  Most casual people may randomly find it on tv and leave it on.  No casual fan, random person is downloading Apple TV, and paying just to watch soccer..

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how it performs. I know there will also be some games every weekend that are free for Apple+ users and also free for everyone. 

I do think other leagues will see how this goes and eventually do the same but no local blackouts or restrictions is something NHL fans have complained about for years so the MLS getting rid of those is a big step forward in that regard. 

I believe the MLS fan base as a whole is also younger and less likely to have cable to begin with so I do think it works well for them. 

If the NHL ever makes the same transition I will end up dumping cable myself.