Jump to content

official off topic thread.


pumpkin cutter
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Someone is going to find that in like 80 years time and be like " how did Sterio get hold of Billy Joe's guitar? " And then rapidly trying to get an auction valuation. 

Incredible work dude. 

I think they’ll assume he “borrowed” it at one of those meet and greets he is always doing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Someone is going to find that in like 80 years time and be like " how did Sterio get hold of Billy Joe's guitar? " And then rapidly trying to get an auction valuation. 

Incredible work dude. 

Considering a good chunk of the new generations and guys like... Alexis Lafreniere not knowing who Britney Spear is already. I doubt people in 80 years will know who Billie Joe Armstrong was haha

The generational gaps are so weird. You just take things for granted most of the time.

I do a lot of presentations in highschool classes to talk about my career and following your dream and sh!t like this, sort of motivational thing. And its insane cause i'm not THAT old. But the kids these days have close to no knowledge or context of how we grew up. They don't know about VHS stores, living without the internet, having to sit in front of the tv to eventually maybe see the music video from your favourite band. Then even if i bring up that i worked with Lagwagon, NOFX, Danny Trejo, Joe Dante, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes, The Trailer Park Boys etc etc they generally have no idea who those people / bands are. So they have no context that can translate to what they know lol I mean a lot of people my age also don't know much about these bands or wtv but they still know about them or heard the names here and there

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Considering a good chunk of the new generations and guys like... Alexis Lafreniere not knowing who Britney Spear is already. I doubt people in 80 years will know who Billie Joe Armstrong was haha

The generational gaps are so weird. You just take things for granted most of the time.

I do a lot of presentations in highschool classes to talk about my career and following your dream and sh!t like this, sort of motivational thing. And its insane cause i'm not THAT old. But the kids these days have close to no knowledge or context of how we grew up. They don't know about VHS stores, living without the internet, having to sit in front of the tv to eventually maybe see the music video from your favourite band. Then even if i bring up that i worked with Lagwagon, NOFX, Danny Trejo, Joe Dante, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes, The Trailer Park Boys etc etc they generally have no idea who those people / bands are. So they have no context that can translate to what they know lol I mean a lot of people my age also don't know much about these bands or wtv but they still know about them or heard the names here and there

It's funny...having seen pictures of your place, and seeing your general demeanor on here...you really are the oldest kid alive...and seriously, I mean this as a compliment.  I get the feeling you're much happier in your day-to-day existence than a LOT of people your age, and it's because you do YOU, completely unapologetically...you don't care about the rules or how you're "supposed" to act as you get older...you do things that you love doing to make a living, do them well, and have a lot of fun doing them.  Seriously man, kudos.  I actually find a lot of "adults" kind of boring...it's all about their jobs (sadly work comes to define people as they get age, sometimes to a disturbing degree, especially in the corporate world), or things that are just kind of stodgy and rigid.  Most people don't necessarily follow their REAL dreams because they're afraid that they won't be able to support themselves enough.

But yeah, we've talked about this, people under 20 grew up in an insanely different world than I did (my wonder years were the 80s).  I have to remind myself at times that the things that I see them do sometimes are just a part of their world.  We just got back from Disney (we allowed my daughter to bring a friend, as her 13th birthday present...her b-day was back in August), and since we didn't rent a car, we Ubered from our resort to the parks...for the most part, whenever we were in the car on our way...out came their phones.  When we were back in the room at night...more phones.  Yeah, I hate it sometimes...I think "Why don't you two just talk to EACH OTHER?!"  But this is what they know...if I'm not around, they'll do it anyway, as will just about everyone else in their age group who has a phone.

And yeah, I remember that so well, watching MTV and hoping to see your band's video, listening to the radio hoping to hear that song REALLY wanted to hear.  I never get sick of seeing my daughter's reaction to how different my world was...to her, it's very much "How did you LIVE like that?"  It's the lack of having info so instantly accessible that gets her.  She really can't believe that for the most part, when we wanted to learn more about something, it involved a trip to the bookstore or library, and gathering facts.  Not word-searches and mouse-clicks.

I may have already mentioned this, but my first exposure to computers was the Commodore Pet...basically was a keyboard with a cassette drive (think a floppy disk drive was an expensive option), and a built-in monochrome (green) monitor.  They were introduced to my elementary school when I was in 4th grade, back in 1979...you could tell that NO ONE in the faculty knew what to really do with them, as they didn't know much about how they worked themselves...you turned it on, and you got this:

2011-07-04-PET-BASIC-4-boot-up.jpg

There was obviously canned software available (on cassettes), but nothing was terribly user-friendly back then...and these machines cost a FORTUNE back then...well over $3000 in today's money.  I think the school bought three of them...since no one there knew how to program one or had had any training of any kind, they pretty much got minimal use, then kinda just disappeared.  I would learn how to program in BASIC later...first on a TRS-80 (Radio Shack, derisively called the "Trash 80"), then much more extensively on an Atari 800.  But yeah, no operating systems back then, or any help.  If you wanted your computer to do anything for you, you either loaded a program, or programmed it yourself.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MB3 said:

nobody is popping champagne yet, but we just heard that the 17th offer we made was accepted. Going to be a lot of nail chewing and breath holding until closing day, but it’s the first step — finally.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MB3 said:

nobody is popping champagne yet, but we just heard that the 17th offer we made was accepted. Going to be a lot of nail chewing and breath holding until closing day, but it’s the first step — finally.

Hope you didn't have to compromise too too much...and that this works out for you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny...having seen pictures of your place, and seeing your general demeanor on here...you really are the oldest kid alive...and seriously, I mean this as a compliment.  I get the feeling you're much happier in your day-to-day existence than a LOT of people your age, and it's because you do YOU, completely unapologetically...you don't care about the rules or how you're "supposed" to act as you get older...you do things that you love doing to make a living, do them well, and have a lot of fun doing them.  Seriously man, kudos.  I actually find a lot of "adults" kind of boring...it's all about their jobs (sadly work comes to define people as they get age, sometimes to a disturbing degree, especially in the corporate world), or things that are just kind of stodgy and rigid.  Most people don't necessarily follow their REAL dreams because they're afraid that they won't be able to support themselves enough.

But yeah, we've talked about this, people under 20 grew up in an insanely different world than I did (my wonder years were the 80s).  I have to remind myself at times that the things that I see them do sometimes are just a part of their world.  We just got back from Disney (we allowed my daughter to bring a friend, as her 13th birthday present...her b-day was back in August), and since we didn't rent a car, we Ubered from our resort to the parks...for the most part, whenever we were in the car on our way...out came their phones.  When we were back in the room at night...more phones.  Yeah, I hate it sometimes...I think "Why don't you two just talk to EACH OTHER?!"  But this is what they know...if I'm not around, they'll do it anyway, as will just about everyone else in their age group who has a phone.

And yeah, I remember that so well, watching MTV and hoping to see your band's video, listening to the radio hoping to hear that song REALLY wanted to hear.  I never get sick of seeing my daughter's reaction to how different my world was...to her, it's very much "How did you LIVE like that?"  It's the lack of having info so instantly accessible that gets her.  She really can't believe that for the most part, when we wanted to learn more about something, it involved a trip to the bookstore or library, and gathering facts.  Not word-searches and mouse-clicks.

I may have already mentioned this, but my first exposure to computers was the Commodore Pet...basically was a keyboard with a cassette drive (think a floppy disk drive was an expensive option), and a built-in monochrome (green) monitor.  They were introduced to my elementary school when I was in 4th grade, back in 1979...you could tell that NO ONE in the faculty knew what to really do with them, as they didn't know much about how they worked themselves...you turned it on, and you got this:

2011-07-04-PET-BASIC-4-boot-up.jpg

There was obviously canned software available (on cassettes), but nothing was terribly user-friendly back then...and these machines cost a FORTUNE back then...well over $3000 in today's money.  I think the school bought three of them...since no one there knew how to program one or had had any training of any kind, they pretty much got minimal use, then kinda just disappeared.  I would learn how to program in BASIC later...first on a TRS-80 (Radio Shack, derisively called the "Trash 80"), then much more extensively on an Atari 800.  But yeah, no operating systems back then, or any help.  If you wanted your computer to do anything for you, you either loaded a program, or programmed it yourself.

There WERE operating systems by 1981 or so. There were dozens, actually. With two floppy drives on my Northstar, I started by loading the operating system on the a drive, then took that out and cranked up a program on the a drive, and used the b drive for data. Simple, right? Bill Gates really didn't invent much of MS-DOS. He took most of it from a Digital Research operating system. Gates had the nerve to license it to IBM, who thought PCs were toys, not business tools. There were better operating systems at the time, but as they said at the time, nobody got fired for buying IBM.

I had a client who bought one of those TRS-80s. She wanted me to help her do payroll on it. I had to explain exactly how complex payroll deduction computations are. She did back off that.

Ah the days of Cranston Manor Adventure! No video, you had to keep everything in your head.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny...having seen pictures of your place, and seeing your general demeanor on here...you really are the oldest kid alive...and seriously, I mean this as a compliment.  I get the feeling you're much happier in your day-to-day existence than a LOT of people your age, and it's because you do YOU, completely unapologetically...you don't care about the rules or how you're "supposed" to act as you get older...you do things that you love doing to make a living, do them well, and have a lot of fun doing them.  Seriously man, kudos.  I actually find a lot of "adults" kind of boring...it's all about their jobs (sadly work comes to define people as they get age, sometimes to a disturbing degree, especially in the corporate world), or things that are just kind of stodgy and rigid.  Most people don't necessarily follow their REAL dreams because they're afraid that they won't be able to support themselves enough.

But yeah, we've talked about this, people under 20 grew up in an insanely different world than I did (my wonder years were the 80s).  I have to remind myself at times that the things that I see them do sometimes are just a part of their world.  We just got back from Disney (we allowed my daughter to bring a friend, as her 13th birthday present...her b-day was back in August), and since we didn't rent a car, we Ubered from our resort to the parks...for the most part, whenever we were in the car on our way...out came their phones.  When we were back in the room at night...more phones.  Yeah, I hate it sometimes...I think "Why don't you two just talk to EACH OTHER?!"  But this is what they know...if I'm not around, they'll do it anyway, as will just about everyone else in their age group who has a phone.

And yeah, I remember that so well, watching MTV and hoping to see your band's video, listening to the radio hoping to hear that song REALLY wanted to hear.  I never get sick of seeing my daughter's reaction to how different my world was...to her, it's very much "How did you LIVE like that?"  It's the lack of having info so instantly accessible that gets her.  She really can't believe that for the most part, when we wanted to learn more about something, it involved a trip to the bookstore or library, and gathering facts.  Not word-searches and mouse-clicks.

I may have already mentioned this, but my first exposure to computers was the Commodore Pet...basically was a keyboard with a cassette drive (think a floppy disk drive was an expensive option), and a built-in monochrome (green) monitor.  They were introduced to my elementary school when I was in 4th grade, back in 1979...you could tell that NO ONE in the faculty knew what to really do with them, as they didn't know much about how they worked themselves...you turned it on, and you got this:

2011-07-04-PET-BASIC-4-boot-up.jpg

There was obviously canned software available (on cassettes), but nothing was terribly user-friendly back then...and these machines cost a FORTUNE back then...well over $3000 in today's money.  I think the school bought three of them...since no one there knew how to program one or had had any training of any kind, they pretty much got minimal use, then kinda just disappeared.  I would learn how to program in BASIC later...first on a TRS-80 (Radio Shack, derisively called the "Trash 80"), then much more extensively on an Atari 800.  But yeah, no operating systems back then, or any help.  If you wanted your computer to do anything for you, you either loaded a program, or programmed it yourself.

Thanks man. I started replying but it got really long and most people hate me here and wouldn't care anyway so i'll you pm you hahaha

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And yeah, I remember that so well, watching MTV and hoping to see your band's video, listening to the radio hoping to hear that song REALLY wanted to hear.  I never get sick of seeing my daughter's reaction to how different my world was...to her, it's very much "How did you LIVE like that?"  It's the lack of having info so instantly accessible that gets her.  She really can't believe that for the most part, when we wanted to learn more about something, it involved a trip to the bookstore or library, and gathering facts.  Not word-searches and mouse-clicks.

 

 

The other option was to pay the $.99 or $1.99 and call up The Box and request that they play a certain video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i joined this forum when i was fifteen years old. 

today my wife and i welcomed our first born son, Lucas, into the world.

life comes at ya fast 

Congrats and best of luck to you and your wife buddy! 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

i joined this forum when i was fifteen years old. 

today my wife and i welcomed our first born son, Lucas, into the world.

life comes at ya fast 

Congrats.

Try to enjoy every phase, every moment.  You'll always love who your child is, but as he gets older, you'll sometimes miss who he was...that truly innocent phase where every last thing is new (to him AND you) goes by in an eyeblink...but during those times where life it beating you down, you can dial up a memory where you shared one of those truly magical moments (something as simple as shared laughter or even a gap-toothed smile).  Just like me and mfitz can attest, before you know it, your kid is a teenager, and you can still see the child that was, but the adult that is coming.  I'm very lucky...my kid has always been a pleasure to be around, and someone I love to spend time with.  Hope your experiences are the same...best of luck to all of you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Humble brag post:

This morning, I completed 1,000 running miles for the year. I started 2021 with the goal of passing 616 from last year, and set 1k as my reach goal. After January I was well on pace, then slipped a bit in February & March. June and July were awesome running months, as was September. By the start of November, I was within 90. A trail run, half marathon and a casual Veterans Day 11 miles later, here I am.

Not bad for a guy who used to LOATHE running until about a decade ago.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Humble brag post:

This morning, I completed 1,000 running miles for the year. I started 2021 with the goal of passing 616 from last year, and set 1k as my reach goal. After January I was well on pace, then slipped a bit in February & March. June and July were awesome running months, as was September. By the start of November, I was within 90. A trail run, half marathon and a casual Veterans Day 11 miles later, here I am.

Not bad for a guy who used to LOATHE running until about a decade ago.

Well done man!

I just ended a streak of 814 days where I averaged about 10.5 miles of walking per day…much of that was speed-walking (my speed-walk is about as quick as most people‘s jogs). The last two months were getting to be harder and harder…more and more I was feeling tired, just not having the same energy…and since I also lift, I was feeling almost constant soreness.  Simply got to a point where I needed to dial it back.  It was hard to let the streak go, but it was simply time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Humble brag post:

This morning, I completed 1,000 running miles for the year. I started 2021 with the goal of passing 616 from last year, and set 1k as my reach goal. After January I was well on pace, then slipped a bit in February & March. June and July were awesome running months, as was September. By the start of November, I was within 90. A trail run, half marathon and a casual Veterans Day 11 miles later, here I am.

Not bad for a guy who used to LOATHE running until about a decade ago.

Good for you jag, that’s awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Humble brag post:

This morning, I completed 1,000 running miles for the year. I started 2021 with the goal of passing 616 from last year, and set 1k as my reach goal. After January I was well on pace, then slipped a bit in February & March. June and July were awesome running months, as was September. By the start of November, I was within 90. A trail run, half marathon and a casual Veterans Day 11 miles later, here I am.

Not bad for a guy who used to LOATHE running until about a decade ago.

Nice! I have been using the Nike run app and will do at least the bare minimum of hitting challenges, at the very least a 10k a week and 100k every month. Some months it ends up being more sometimes just the minimum if I'm busy.

I was just starting to get into running marathons before Covid hit, did a 5 and 10k and then had to get refunds on some that were canceled. I haven't gotten back into signing up for marathons but I'd love to do the NJ half marathon one day and then eventually the full marathon. I should have done the Devils 5k but was busy that day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well done man!

I just ended a streak of 814 days where I averaged about 10.5 miles of walking per day…much of that was speed-walking (my speed-walk is about as quick as most people‘s jogs). The last two months were getting to be harder and harder…more and more I was feeling tired, just not having the same energy…and since I also lift, I was feeling almost constant soreness.  Simply got to a point where I needed to dial it back.  It was hard to let the streak go, but it was simply time.

That's a crazy streak! It's always good to take a day of rest here and there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nice! I have been using the Nike run app and will do at least the bare minimum of hitting challenges, at the very least a 10k a week and 100k every month. Some months it ends up being more sometimes just the minimum if I'm busy.

I was just starting to get into running marathons before Covid hit, did a 5 and 10k and then had to get refunds on some that were canceled. I haven't gotten back into signing up for marathons but I'd love to do the NJ half marathon one day and then eventually the full marathon. I should have done the Devils 5k but was busy that day. 

I did the Devils virtual one last year, actually finished first in my age group, was cool runningpp my neighborhood and hearing devils talk to me. Got really sick of Barry Ostrowski cause I tried all 3 guided runs they offered and he was the only one on all of them.

My goal is to run my first marathon next September. Signing up for it when registration opens New Years Day.

I run with my garmin but sync everything to Nike Run Club. I’ll shoot you a DM if you want another buddy on the app. I know chasing my two friends is pretty motivating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's a crazy streak! It's always good to take a day of rest here and there

Yeah my trainer has been on me for MONTHS to end it…and he was right.  Right around 600 days, I noticed that things were getting a lot tougher (and it was only getting worse).  There was a part of me that really wanted to get to 1000 days, but I simply and finally ran out of steam.

I will not be starting another streak like that…I plan to start making Wednesdays and Saturdays more legit rest days.  Glad I did it though…consistent exercise will always be a part of my life going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.