official off topic thread.

pumpkin cutter

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I know he’d been in bad health for a while now. He had stopped making appearances, and was one of the only cast members who didn’t appear on the Talking Sopranos podcast Imperioli and Schirripa recently did. I think he was dealing with dementia. 

Guy certainly had an interesting life to say the least. Gangster turned actor and all. Paulie and Uncle Junior were always my favorite supporting characters on The Sopranos. Sad news. 

RIP 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Sad 1

A bud of mine used to date a relative of Sirico’s about 10 years ago (she had the same last name), and he got to meet “Paulie” at a large gathering.  Basically said the guy wasn’t doing much acting…said that Tony Sirico was every bit Paulie Walnuts in real life.  Also said he was one of the funniest people that he’d ever met.

RIP Tony Sirico.  And James Caan. 

• Like 3

Ironically I just started a re-watch of the Sopranos just before this news hit. 

Every time I watch this show I can’t get over how masterfully done it was. As someone who grew up on the outside but definitely around that culture, I can’t think of a way they could’ve been any more accurate. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Ironically I just started a re-watch of the Sopranos just before this news hit. 

Every time I watch this show I can’t get over how masterfully done it was. As someone who grew up on the outside but definitely around that culture, I can’t think of a way they could’ve been any more accurate. 

My very Italian grandfather used to do the thing where he’d tell a joke and if someone didn’t hear it or didn’t react, he’d say “did you hear what I said?” And then repeat it. When I saw Paulie do the exact same thing it really took me back. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

My very Italian grandfather used to do the thing where he’d tell a joke and if someone didn’t hear it or didn’t react, he’d say “did you hear what I said?” And then repeat it. When I saw Paulie do the exact same thing it really took me back. 

I have known, and currently know, at least 3 guys EXACTLY like that lol. 

In the past two weeks, We’ve finished Ozark’s final season and Stranger Things’ current season. Spoiler tag for my reaction/story stuffs.

Spoiler

Ozark’s was progressively more predictable as it concluded. And, yet again with a series finale, I was disappointed. Like, that’s how it’s gonna end, really? Even with GoT I was more satisfied than this weak ejaculation of an ending.

Stranger Things had me guessing. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed tears multiple times during its season. The wife asked the second the credits rolled, “soooo season 5s next week right….?!?!”

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

In the past two weeks, We’ve finished Ozark’s final season and Stranger Things’ current season. Spoiler tag for my reaction/story stuffs.

Hide contents

Ozark’s was progressively more predictable as it concluded. And, yet again with a series finale, I was disappointed. Like, that’s how it’s gonna end, really? Even with GoT I was more satisfied than this weak ejaculation of an ending.

Stranger Things had me guessing. I’m not ashamed to admit I shed tears multiple times during its season. The wife asked the second the credits rolled, “soooo season 5s next week right….?!?!”

I liked Ozark overall, but you are right, the finale almost felt like it was checking off a bunch of “Yeah saw that one coming” boxes.  The whole “We’re so close but now there’s this NEW crisis” storyline got to be a bit much too…but the time the finale rolled around, I was plenty ready for the whole thing to just end already.  But overall, generally solid show.  Definitely had a bit of a Breaking Bad vibe to it (and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I liked Ozark overall, but you are right, the finale almost felt like it was checking off a bunch of “Yeah saw that one coming” boxes.  The whole “We’re so close but now there’s this NEW crisis” storyline got to be a bit much too…but the time the finale rolled around, I was plenty ready for the whole thing to just end already.  But overall, generally solid show.  Definitely had a bit of a Breaking Bad vibe to it (and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

Yeah agreed

Spoiler

I know they wouldn’t have a happy ending, they shouldn’t have, at all. But gimme a break, you had the perfect opportunity to literally take both heads of the cartel out AND cut your deal with the Feds, you’re telling me they wouldn’t have taken that? ESPECIALLY with Wendy’s prowess and Marty’s thinking ahead. It was like they lost every brain byte they showed throughout the season. Masterminds to first timers between seasons. So dumb.

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ozark’s ending disappointed me. It was a fantastic show, but the ending to me was kind of ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

(and BB remains the best series ever AFAIC).  

Absolutely. BB and The Sopranos are the best there’s ever been. And Better Call Saul is right up there now for me too. 

Edited by MadDog2020

On 7/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, mfitz804 said:

I just started a re-watch of the Sopranos a couple days ago. 

The Pine Barrens episode. Absolute classic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The Pine Barrens episode. Absolute classic. 

“Is there any way the package could survive?!”

the look on AJ’s face was priceless lol. 

It was my #1 favorite episode for years. There’s a handful I’d probably rank a little higher at this point, but it’s still way up there. It was actually the first episode Steve Buscemi directed, and he obviously killed it. It was also some of the late Tony Sirico’s best work on the show. And I specifically loved all the episodes with Gloria. My favorite Tony goomah, by far. 

I really appreciated that they never addressed the missing Russian. They apparently tossed around the idea of Tony seeing him at Slava’s at some point - but he would have been severely brain damaged, and wouldn’t have remembered anything about what happened. It was so much better not knowing wtf became of him. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“Is there any way the package could survive?!”

the look on AJ’s face was priceless lol. 

It was my #1 favorite episode for years. There’s a handful I’d probably rank a little higher at this point, but it’s still way up there. It was actually the first episode Steve Buscemi directed, and he obviously killed it. It was also some of the late Tony Sirico’s best work on the show. And I specifically loved all the episodes with Gloria. My favorite Tony goomah, by far. 

I really appreciated that they never addressed the missing Russian. They apparently tossed around the idea of Tony seeing him at Slava’s at some point - but he would have been severely brain damaged, and wouldn’t have remembered anything about what happened. It was so much better not knowing wtf became of him. 

As a kid we used to go camping in the Pine Barrens and then go canoeing. It was so easy to get lost in the woods that they actually dug a 4 foot deep trench about 20 yards out into the woods all the way around the campsite. We were told not to cross the trench, which of course we did. We would occasionally have someone gets minorly lost, but we always found them before the adults had to get involved.

And before anyone lost a shoe or had to eat half frozen condiments. 

Not tying up the thing with the Russian was the exact right way to go. 

Its funny you bring that up. Last night i was talking to my cousin who is a huge NY Giants fan and he was watching one of the Superbowl championship games when I stopped by. I am a giants fan too and I just couldn't watch the game, I already know what happened why watch it again?

I know a few people on here are religious about re-watching old games, am I the odd one here? I can't watch taped games or commemorative recaps, just can't do it. Am I the weird one here?

5 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I know a few people on here are religious about re-watching old games, am I the odd one here? I can't watch taped games or commemorative recaps, just can't do it. Am I the weird one here?

I can’t do it either. I love watching highlights, but sitting down to watch a full game I just can’t do. 

• Like 2