Jump to content

official off topic thread.


pumpkin cutter
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think I missed the memo when they started telling people not to buy anything from companies that are not black owned. 

They have been been promoting all sorts of NJ businesses but you know, how dare they suggest I should read a book! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

@mfitz804

you're welcome 

On a show called “Strange And Unusual Deaths”, some guy was watching something on TV that he found so hysterical that he actually died laughing (he couldn’t catch his breath and couldn’t reign himself in).  

I fully expect that mfitz will now follow in that man’s groundbreaking footsteps.  

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

@Nicomo you ready my dude? This is gonna be intense tonight.

00115A1D-6766-4E35-9B46-49A817AECC6A.webp

It’s so bittersweet. I’m sad to be leaving this universe for good, but it’s also going out on top. So few shows maintain their quality for 6 seasons like this. 

The worst part is I have to work tonight so I can’t even watch it right away. I will have to avoid spoilers like the plague. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very excited for the Artemis program but tentatively so. August 29th and the 30 days to follow it will be vital in deciding whether or not we return to the moon. If this unmanned mission is successful, it will travel to the moon, swing around it using it's gravity, and then loop around about 40,000 miles away before returning back to the moon and using it's gravity again to slingshot it back to Earth.

If it's successful, we could potentially see the same mission with a manned crew as soon as 2025, which would set records for the farthest distance that human beings themselves have been from Earth.

If THAT suceeds, we could witness another manned moon landing as soon as 2026, which is very optimistic; and could potentially involve some form of remote orbiting station; kind of like a drone version a command module and the L.R.O. combined. Very exciting times to live in. 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Very excited for the Artemis program but tentatively so. August 29th and the 30 days to follow it will be vital in deciding whether or not we return to the moon. If this unmanned mission is successful, it will travel to the moon, swing around it using it's gravity, and then loop around about 40,000 miles away before returning back to the moon and using it's gravity again to slingshot it back to Earth.

If it's successful, we could potentially see the same mission with a manned crew as soon as 2025, which would set records for the farthest distance that human beings themselves have been from Earth.

If THAT suceeds, we could witness another manned moon landing as soon as 2026, which is very optimistic; and could potentially involve some form of remote orbiting station; kind of like a drone version a command module and the L.R.O. combined. Very exciting times to live in. 

found a fellow nerd!

I think we will see a mars landing within 20 years. really hope i get to see it. 

 

safe to assume you watch for all mankind on apple tv?

Edited by pumpkin cutter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

found a fellow nerd!

I think we will see a mars landing within 20 years. really hope i get to see it. 

 

safe to assume you watch for all mankind on apple tv?

Actually I've never been much of a space show kinda guy, as much as I love astronomy. Worth the apple subscription?

Speaking of TV, House of the Dragon premieres tonight and I'm super psyched about it. This series could be redemption from the abysmal last few seasons of GoT.

TLDR: I'm very excited for some H.o.t. D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, pumpkin cutter said:

found a fellow nerd!

I think we will see a mars landing within 20 years. really hope i get to see it. 

 

safe to assume you watch for all mankind on apple tv?

my wife and I are HEAVILY binging for all mankind right now. in season 2 and totally obsessed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Actually I've never been much of a space show kinda guy, as much as I love astronomy. Worth the apple subscription?

Speaking of TV, House of the Dragon premieres tonight and I'm super psyched about it. This series could be redemption from the abysmal last few seasons of GoT.

TLDR: I'm very excited for some H.o.t. D.

ehhhh it's an ok show. you should be able to get a free week or month trial if you never used it before. 

i never watched got yet. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of people hate the yankees, a lot of people hate baseball, but what Aaron Judge is doing right now is fvcking incredible. 

He's on pace to break the all-time (non-steroid) home-run record in baseball, currently held by Roger Maris at 61 (done in 1961.... 61 years ago. Kinda freaky.) That in itself is insane, but here's why it's even crazier.

  1. He's on pace to do this in the lowest offensive season in decades. Everyone is calling this the "dead ball" season. Nobody is really hitting this year; OPS (specifically slugging) is WAY down from previous years. The stat nerds swear it's because of the baseball itself -- hard hit percentage and barrel percentage are at a fine pace, but the ball just.... isn't going anywhere. Except off of Aaron's bat.
  2. He's on a team that's sporting the 3rd worst offense in baseball since June. Which means he's getting absolutely ZERO lineup protection. He's the most intentionally-walked guy in the league and even still, he's absolutely crushing pitchers who dare throw him something over the plate. He faces the highest percentage of off-speed and out-of-the-zone pitches in baseball (by a wide margin) and still absolutely pummels the baseball. 
  3. If the current pace holds up, he'll out-homer the next closest player by 16 home runs. In hockey terms, that's like a guy dropping 50 goals without anyone else in the league scoring more than 34. How rare of a stat is this? It hasn't happened since Ruth in 1932. For a more modern example, in 2019 when Alonso lead the league with 53 -- there were TWENTY THREE players who were within 16 dingers of that number. That's a good example of two things: 1 -- how far ahead of the pack Aaron is this year, and 2 -- how few home runs are being hit this season. 

It's the most impressive single season performance I've ever seen from an athlete. You don't have to even like baseball to see how cool this is. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A lot of people hate the yankees, a lot of people hate baseball, but what Aaron Judge is doing right now is fvcking incredible. 

He's on pace to break the all-time (non-steroid) home-run record in baseball, currently held by Roger Maris at 61 (done in 1961.... 61 years ago. Kinda freaky.) That in itself is insane, but here's why it's even crazier.

  1. He's on pace to do this in the lowest offensive season in decades. Everyone is calling this the "dead ball" season. Nobody is really hitting this year; OPS (specifically slugging) is WAY down from previous years. The stat nerds swear it's because of the baseball itself -- hard hit percentage and barrel percentage are at a fine pace, but the ball just.... isn't going anywhere. Except off of Aaron's bat.
  2. He's on a team that's sporting the 3rd worst offense in baseball since June. Which means he's getting absolutely ZERO lineup protection. He's the most intentionally-walked guy in the league and even still, he's absolutely crushing pitchers who dare throw him something over the plate. He faces the highest percentage of off-speed and out-of-the-zone pitches in baseball (by a wide margin) and still absolutely pummels the baseball. 
  3. If the current pace holds up, he'll out-homer the next closest player by 16 home runs. In hockey terms, that's like a guy dropping 50 goals without anyone else in the league scoring more than 34. How rare of a stat is this? It hasn't happened since Ruth in 1932. For a more modern example, in 2019 when Alonso lead the league with 53 -- there were TWENTY THREE players who were within 16 dingers of that number. That's a good example of two things: 1 -- how far ahead of the pack Aaron is this year, and 2 -- how few home runs are being hit this season. 

It's the most impressive single season performance I've ever seen from an athlete. You don't have to even like baseball to see how cool this is. 

The man bet on himself, and he is going to get PAID. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a quick look at where Judge sits on the MLB leaderboard:

51 HR (1st)
71 XBH (1st)
104 R (1st)
113 RBI (1st)
.667 SLG (1st)
1.064 OPS (1st)
196 wRC+ (1st)
.442 wOBA (1st)
312 total bases (1st)
125 runs created (1st)
8.3 fWAR (1st)
7.7 bWAR (1st)
5.51 WPA (1st)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A lot of people hate the yankees, a lot of people hate baseball, but what Aaron Judge is doing right now is fvcking incredible. 

He's on pace to break the all-time (non-steroid) home-run record in baseball, currently held by Roger Maris at 61 (done in 1961.... 61 years ago. Kinda freaky.) That in itself is insane, but here's why it's even crazier.

  1. He's on pace to do this in the lowest offensive season in decades. Everyone is calling this the "dead ball" season. Nobody is really hitting this year; OPS (specifically slugging) is WAY down from previous years. The stat nerds swear it's because of the baseball itself -- hard hit percentage and barrel percentage are at a fine pace, but the ball just.... isn't going anywhere. Except off of Aaron's bat.
  2. He's on a team that's sporting the 3rd worst offense in baseball since June. Which means he's getting absolutely ZERO lineup protection. He's the most intentionally-walked guy in the league and even still, he's absolutely crushing pitchers who dare throw him something over the plate. He faces the highest percentage of off-speed and out-of-the-zone pitches in baseball (by a wide margin) and still absolutely pummels the baseball. 
  3. If the current pace holds up, he'll out-homer the next closest player by 16 home runs. In hockey terms, that's like a guy dropping 50 goals without anyone else in the league scoring more than 34. How rare of a stat is this? It hasn't happened since Ruth in 1932. For a more modern example, in 2019 when Alonso lead the league with 53 -- there were TWENTY THREE players who were within 16 dingers of that number. That's a good example of two things: 1 -- how far ahead of the pack Aaron is this year, and 2 -- how few home runs are being hit this season. 

It's the most impressive single season performance I've ever seen from an athlete. You don't have to even like baseball to see how cool this is. 

And he’s right handed so he isn’t even fully benefitting from the ridiculous dimensions of Yankee Stadium. Impressive. I will be way happier about it if he uses this season to sign a huge deal with someone other than the Yankees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

And he’s right handed so he isn’t even fully benefitting from the ridiculous dimensions of Yankee Stadium. Impressive. I will be way happier about it if he uses this season to sign a huge deal with someone other than the Yankees. 

A total of 1 of his 51 home runs could be considered a "Yankee Stadium cheapie" and even that one would've been out in 6 other parks. I can't find the exact stat, but Fangraphs (I think) broke down the leaders into three categories: "No doubters", "Home run in most parks", and "Wall scrapers." Like 90% of Judge's were in the "no doubters" category. He's destroying the ball.

(Also pointing out a funny misconception, but Yankee Stadium despite having a short porch is towards the lower half of the league and is actually considered a 'pitchers park'. The depth to the wall in left center & center field is massive, and the dimensions of the park make it really, really tough to hit any doubles. It also tanks production for left-handed batters who aren't "home run or bust" guys, because right fielders can play super shallow down the line and catch up to anything that gets near the warning track.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

A total of 1 of his 51 home runs could be considered a "Yankee Stadium cheapie" and even that one would've been out in 6 other parks. I can't find the exact stat, but Fangraphs (I think) broke down the leaders into three categories: "No doubters", "Home run in most parks", and "Wall scrapers." Like 90% of Judge's were in the "no doubters" category. He's destroying the ball.

(Also pointing out a funny misconception, but Yankee Stadium despite having a short porch is towards the lower half of the league and is actually considered a 'pitchers park'. The depth to the wall in left center & center field is massive, and the dimensions of the park make it really, really tough to hit any doubles. It also tanks production for left-handed batters who aren't "home run or bust" guys, because right fielders can play super shallow down the line and catch up to anything that gets near the warning track.)

Right, but if Judge were left handed, how many extra home runs might be have playing in Yankee Stadium, being a home run guy? I would say at least 10, probably more. He might have even passed the steroid record. 

All assumptions being he is not on steroids, of course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Right, but if Judge were left handed, how many extra home runs might be have playing in Yankee Stadium, being a home run guy? I would say at least 10, probably more. He might have even passed the steroid record. 

All assumptions being he is not on steroids, of course. 

Haha yeah that's a fair bet. He uses the whole field so fvcking well, it's hard to say.

The amount of testing done in the MLB, I'd say there's about a 0% chance anyone is using steroids. Even the games superstars like Tatis Jr are being suspended for taking non-steroid banned substances. 

Also if someone that's 6'-7" takes steroids I'm pretty sure he'd be hitting like 800 foot home runs. Man that would be cool to watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Haha yeah that's a fair bet. He uses the whole field so fvcking well, it's hard to say.

The amount of testing done in the MLB, I'd say there's about a 0% chance anyone is using steroids. Even the games superstars like Tatis Jr are being suspended for taking non-steroid banned substances. 

Also if someone that's 6'-7" takes steroids I'm pretty sure he'd be hitting like 800 foot home runs. Man that would be cool to watch. 

He does, but how many times has he flied out to left field where the equivalent shot to right field in Yankee Stadium would have been a home run? I am saying at least to, potentially much more. 

I don't believe he is on steroids, it would be too easy for him to get caught. Not that it has stopped some people, but I have to believe he's being tested and he's passing. 

Mark McGwire was a pretty big dude too, he hit some bombs but not quite to the 800 foot level lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wait wait wait pitchers have walk-in songs?!

Lmao 🤣🤣🤣

For Mariano Rivera they played enter sandman. Got the place electric. 

Edited by MB3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.