Devils Sign Dougie Hamilton - 7 years, $63 million

nessus

My buddy who's a chicago fan says he read somewhere that Saad is looking for a 6 years deal. He's 28... for like 4.5/5 over 6 years... are we doing that? I'd be more comfortable with like 3-4 but depending on how Fitz and our management like him i could live with 6 potentially

Since we have a lot of cap space i think i'd try to pay more every year than more terms

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, aylbert said:

What’s with 25-26 being so heavy on the bonus side?

I get this upcoming season (covid) and 26-27 season (CBA expiration) being light on salary.

possibly to maximize the post-escrow $$. Both the increases & decreases in annual salaries touch the acceptable limits based on the contract structure

its quite complex so i can understand why it took a few hours to structure

E7bBLnXX0AAy0p_.jpeg.6ff414a60d64da5d3d4c6b6f245fdbb2.jpeg

Edited by SterioDesign

Yeah more and more it really feels like MB3 nailed it…they agreed to the term and money fairly quickly, but the way it was divided up year to year was rather complex.  And that’s why it took as long as it did.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I don't like Buffalo the city or teams. But having said that, what the fvck are they doing to their fans there?

Totally gutted the team and very little hope for the future either 

shooting for Wright, Bedard or Michkov.

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Dougie Fresh! 

It's a good day for us. We can worry about the back end of that contract some other time. This signing is hopefully going to make some of our existing players better. Say hello to some more power play points, Jack Hughes.

He’s going to be able spring our speedsters like Wood and McLeod some nice breakaway passes, too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

chicago could have just... wait and sign Hamilton and they would have gotten a better player and be 2 first round pick, a 2nd and Boqvist... richer. 

What a dumb move that i'm glad they made

You’re not wrong about this, and it makes me wonder if Hamilton coming to the Devils wasn’t a little more of a foregone conclusion than it appeared to be. 

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re not wrong about this, and it makes me wonder if Hamilton coming to the Devils wasn’t a little more of a foregone conclusion than it appeared to be. 

Maybe he let it be known he wanted nothing to do with the Penn State level sh!t show that's just getting started in Chicago with these sexual abuse allegations that allegedly the team did nothing about.

https://theathletic.com/2738062/2021/07/29/the-best-and-worst-deals-from-the-first-day-of-nhl-free-agency/

The “Best” Deals

There weren’t many Actually Good signings, but some were better than others enough to count and there were a number of cheap deals with some promise. Before we get to the trainwreck, here are some of the bright moments from the opening day of the frenzy.

Dougie Hamilton: It’s not often the most lucrative contract of the day is the best one. Generally, there’s a good chance it’s the worst. That’s not the case with Hamilton who has long been underrated by Hockey Men everywhere and is now on a potential good value deal as a result. The fact he was paid $500K per season less than Seth Jones is truly bewildering given the past two seasons for both players. Hamilton is better than Jones. Full stop. There was maybe an argument for it before last season, but not anymore. I will not be listening to anything suggesting the contrary.

At $9 million per, the expectation for Hamilton is to be a two-win defender through the life of the deal. He’s at 3.2 wins to start and should be worth 2.6 on average when taking his age into consideration, giving him a strong cushion to be worth his lofty price tag. He’s a unique player with only one comp so it’s hard to judge exactly how he’ll age, but that one comp is Brent Burns who was still pretty damn effective in his early 30s.

There is a good chance public models overrate Hamilton’s impact and I don’t want to downplay that. But everywhere he goes and plays, he earns elite results and that’s been at both ends of the ice the last two seasons. Hamilton finished fourth in Norris Trophy voting last season and should continue to be in contention for the next few years. He’s a true No. 1 defenceman, an elite one at that, and that’s worth the price of admission here. 

Hamilton’s deal comes in with a surplus value of $18.8 million over the life of the deal leaving plenty of room for error if the model is indeed overrating him. It’s also far and away the most surplus value of any deal on the day. The Devils benefit greatly from an unfair and undeserved reputation. Hamilton is the real deal.

Edit: I give up on formatting

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 5

So the full NMC turns to a 10 team NTC in the last three years.  The last three years also have lower salary totals so it makes it easier for the team to buy him out in regards to cap recapture penalties.  If I remember correctly, the team pays 2/3 the remaining salary (not including signing bonuses) for double the remaining length.  So if sh!t goes awry and they can't trade him and need to buy him out after year 4, it's less than a mill against the cap for 6 years.

Math: (check it)
Year 5 salary: $1m
Year 6 salary: $1m
Year 7 salary: $5.25m

($7.25m*0.66) / 6 years = $797,500/yr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1