Devils Sign Dougie Hamilton - 7 years, $63 million

nessus

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I guess there's a live event with Hamilton answering question on fb. But Bob McKenzie didnt tweet about it so i dont know if i should believe it

Youtube. Live at the moment.

Edited by Aitchmack

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Youtube. Live at the moment.

I haven’t watched this yet but I heard he gave Marty a lot of credit for selling him on NJ. And I know Bernier said the same thing. I absolutely love having Marty in the FO. He obviously brings a lot of respect (and always will), which can only help having a very green GM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I haven’t watched this yet but I heard he gave Marty a lot of credit for selling him on NJ. And I know Bernier said the same thing. I absolutely love having Marty in the FO. He obviously brings a lot of respect (and always will), which can only help having a very green GM. 

Yeah Marty definitely brings credibility, no doubt about it. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I follow a few goalie pages and its incredible how many people drag Marty. 

There’s fans in our fan base that do. 

What goalie pages are you talking about? Anything that would help me with my puck project?

Edited by mfitz804

49 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I follow a few goalie pages and its incredible how many people drag Marty. 

It’s unbelievable that the winningest goalie of all time could actually be underrated by large factions of supposedly knowledgeable hockey fans. But he is in my experience. So many people think it was all the defense in front of him. Like he never won two Vezina’s after Stevens and Niedermayer were gone. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s unbelievable that the winningest goalie of all time could actually be underrated by large factions of supposedly knowledgeable hockey fans. But he is in my experience. So many people think it was all the defense in front of him. Like he never won two Vezina’s after Stevens and Niedermayer were gone. 

The Devils won a Stanley Cup almost immediately upon his arrival, and came pretty close the year before that. One could argue that the team never had more than marginal success before or after him. 

Granted, he was here a lot of years, but what did the team accomplish from 1982-92 and 2014-present? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The Devils won a Stanley Cup almost immediately upon his arrival, and came pretty close the year before that. One could argue that the team never had more than marginal success before or after him. 

Granted, he was here a lot of years, but what did the team accomplish from 1982-92 and 2014-present? 

Well sure, buts that not really what I’m talking about. Many non-Devils fans think the Cups were 100% the defense and the trap. Like any decent goalie could have been in there. It’s super annoying. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well sure, buts that not really what I’m talking about. Many non-Devils fans think the Cups were 100% the defense and the trap. Like any decent goalie could have been in there. It’s super annoying. 

Fvck those idiots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewskies said:

I was in the hospital Wednesday and Thursday, so I missed the announcements of the Devils' trades and signings. I am so glad to see that they made moves to improve the rebuild of the goaltending and the defense. 

Way to go Fitz

Let's Go Devils

Too many brewskies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

They are either A: not very bright, or B: they actually know better and just hate the Devils. Either way, as mfitz said, fvck those morons. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brewskies said:

I was in the hospital Wednesday and Thursday, so I missed the announcements of the Devils' trades and signings. I am so glad to see that they made moves to improve the rebuild of the goaltending and the defense. 

Way to go Fitz

Let's Go Devils

Hope all is well man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

They are either A: not very bright, or B: they actually know better and just hate the Devils. Either way, as mfitz said, fvck those morons. 

I definitely think it’s more the latter. Hell, just the amount of hate I saw online over the Hamilton signing was ridiculous. You listen to half these people Dougie is one of the most overrated players in the league and we’re going to end up regretting the deal two years in. I have a feeling if that exact same contract was given out by a more popular franchise there would be a very different reception. Anyway, fvck em indeed. Let them hate. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Way to go Fitz

Let's Go Devils

Hope you’re doing ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I definitely think it’s more the latter. Hell, just the amount of hate I saw online over the Hamilton signing was ridiculous. You listen to half these people Dougie is one of the most overrated players in the league and we’re going to end up regretting the deal two years in. I have a feeling if that exact same contract was given out by a more popular franchise there would be a very different reception. Anyway, fvck em indeed. Let them hate. 

There's ALWAYS the chance that these long-term deals can go horribly wrong, but if given to do over again, under all of the same exact circumstances, I sign Hamilton to the same exact deal 10 times out of 10.  He's still relatively young (Devils are paying for his Age 28-34 years), and if the Devils get four years of still-in-or-close-to-his-prime Hamilton, followed by two or three decline-but-decent years, I'll consider that a good ROI.

The knock I keep hearing (from other teams' fans of course) is "If he's so great, why is he already on his fourth team?"  I know the first time, Boston had cap issues and he was a RFA the Bruins couldn't afford to pay, and Boston was able to get some pieces back for him (from Calgary)...a first-rounder and two second rounders (hasn't worked out so well for the Bruins...none of those picks have turned out to be much). 

As for Calgary, there's this (see below), but I still wouldn't read this and ever think "OMG, the Devils just signed a complete headcase, what are we gonna do?!"  If he was such a PITA, Carolina's not willing to go 8 years for him.  I still think it's 1000% the right move and I'm glad he's here.

Personal issues regarding Dougie Hamilton emerge in wake of huge trade - NHL News - HockeyFeed

• Like 3

Yeah i mean IF i want to be fair and not incredibly hypocritical. i did call that Subban at 9m was reaaaally overpaid considering he was strictly an offensive guy and sucked defensively. The market prices went up a bit since but if the claims that Hamilton is also just an offensive stud and struggle a lot defensively. As this graphic would suggest. Then yeah 9m is a bit expensive and i'd happily pay that for a hedman, doughty kind of 2way stud. Or if the player is insanely gifted offensively where it's compensating for the lack of defense like say... ovechkin or wtv up front. 

73793767_ScreenShot2021-07-28at10_19_45PM.thumb.png.8906e7dd12c148d642e662595ca36ccc.png