Devils sign Tomas Tatar 2y/$9m

MB3

It’s not a home run kind of signing, but it’s clearly not meant to be.  It makes sense because you have a pretty good idea of what you’ll get for the two seasons he'll be here, by the end of which, someone from within will hopefully be ready to take his spot.  He’s a stopgap with considerable upside.

And I’m guessing that Fitz saw him as less risky (and obviously less expense) than Tarasenko.  I understand the thinking there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s not a home run kind of signing, but it’s clearly not meant to be.  It makes sense because you have a pretty good idea of what you’ll get for the two seasons he'll be here, by the end of which, someone from within will hopefully be ready to take his spot.  He’s a stopgap with considerable upside.

And I’m guessing that Fitz saw him as less risky (and obviously less expense) than Tarasenko.  I understand the thinking there.

We could still get Tarasenko though, who knows.

I see Tatar as Holtz' placeholder and Tarasenko could be the same thing cause we still don't know if Bratt will be a staple in the top 6 or even sharangovich so.

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

His official website is www.tomastatar90.com - and by official, I mean where you can buy Tomas Tatar merch 🤦‍♀️

I wonder if he tries to do a little switcherooskis with Boqvist.

Well now we gotta trade Boqvsit for Tarasenko. We can't have this sort of non-sense on our team

I think this signing will help the club advance to the playoffs. I am beginning to believe it is possible that the Devils could make round one this season. Wouldn't that be nice? I must say that Fitz has surprised me this offseason to date.

Keep up the good work, Fitz.

17 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The short term is what makes me ok with this signing.  I've never been a fan of Tatar, but he does consistently pot 20 goals each season.  He's clearly here to give the young guns more time to develop in Utica, which is a great thing.    

Yeah at worst the Devils should get “pretty good”…maybe even better with some luck.  And yeah, Holtz and Mercer and possibly others don’t get rushed.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What's encouraging is that he got good numbers in the season in MTL while playing with KK, Suzuki and Danault. Offensively, Hughes and Hischier are way better than those 3.

Yeah, oftentimes you can find out all you need to know about a player by reading other fans opinions on him. On reddit, I saw a lot of "that guy made Danault look like an actual hockey player, and that's incredible." 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah, oftentimes you can find out all you need to know about a player by reading other fans opinions on him. On reddit, I saw a lot of "that guy made Danault look like an actual hockey player, and that's incredible." 

Well the thing with Danault is that he's elite defensively. Just not bringing in much offensively.

MTL fans are mocking him and constantly try to bring him down or call him overrated now that he left. They'll hit a wall when they realize he was their most important player in the playoffs. Keeping the Matthews line to 2 SOG through games 6 and 7 combined is ridiculous. Or Vegas having zero high scoring chances through game 7, same thing. I know the fans and media wanted to put all the glory on Price, who was pretty solid but he had nothing to do with not getting shots, it was all Danault and the trap. He also took ALL the big faceoffs, he'd literally be sent out for faceoffs and then go to the bench right away and change for KK, Evans or Suzuki. They lost a big piece and they don't even realize it

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Danault is a great hockey player. You want guys like him in the roster no matter how much points they will bring in.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

yep hopefully a placeholder for couple of seasons while some of the young guys get their feet under them.  The definition of a stopgap but one who will hopefully bring more than the average guy we usually get to plug a hole.  No risk here imo unless he truly sh!ts the bed which would surprise me. I would try and keep my expectations in check at the same time.   

49 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

I wanted tarasenko but this is definitely an upgrade. Who knows maybe we'll still sign tarasenko also. What UFA are left as a top 6?

Tarasenko isn't a UFA we have to trade for him. As for UFA... there's not much left. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents?signing-status=ufa

• Like 1